Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Old 08-16-18, 08:37 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
After report on sexual abuse by priests, Pennsylvania may lift statute of limitations

I thought this was interesting and wondered what others thought. Do you agree that lawmakers should be able to retro-actively change a law for a specific case like this?

Quote:
After a grand jury report detailed allegations of sex abuse by Catholic priests in Pennsylvania, state lawmakers are poised to vote on whether to eliminate the criminal statute of limitations -- as well as lengthen windows for lawsuits.

But what that would mean for victims who've already missed their windows -- including many of the victims mentioned in the report -- depends on several factors.

Pennsylvania law currently allows child victims of sexual crimes to pursue criminal charges against their abusers until age 50, and they can file civil lawsuits until age 30.
Read more:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/16/us/pe...ons/index.html
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-18, 08:45 PM
Cooling Off

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Retroactively changing laws is a dangerous precedent so I'd tend to say no, even though in this specific case I'd imagine everyone would be alright with it.

At this point, the Catholic Church should be burned to the ground.
Old 08-16-18, 09:00 PM
Controller

EagleFan has a spectacular aura aboutEagleFan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
no, no it shouldn't.
Old 08-17-18, 05:44 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Retroactively changing laws is a dangerous precedent so I'd tend to say no, even though in this specific case I'd imagine everyone would be alright with it.

All of the allegations in the US relate to incidents 20-30 years old, whereas, allegations against public school teachers occur nearly every week. The Church has gotten its act together. What about our public school system. Maybe you are torching the wrong target.
Old 08-17-18, 08:15 AM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
All of the allegations in the US relate to incidents 20-30 years old, whereas, allegations against public school teachers occur nearly every week. The Church has gotten its act together. What about our public school system. Maybe you are torching the wrong target.
Actually plenty of idiocy to spread around. The fact that so much has been buried and covered up for so long should make anyone cringe. Just when you seem rational you always deflect. Great your experiences have been good but others are not as fortunate.
Old 08-17-18, 08:45 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
The Church has gotten its act together.
I guess they do deserve some applause for no longer actively moving around priests so they could molest more kids. Though it seems they only changed that behavior once they got caught.

Catholics
Old 08-17-18, 09:06 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enoughlotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Can you say "throw the baby out with the bath water".
Old 08-17-18, 09:50 AM
All Yappi

The more you read and the more that comes out the worse this gets. The systematic wide spread cover up that is being peeled back is worse than anyone thought. As a born and raised traditional catholic the fact that there are so many high ranking decision makers still left in the church speaks for itself.
Old 08-17-18, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
As a still practicing Catholic, I realize that the percentage of deviant priests is low in comparison to the priesthood as a whole. BUT--what infuriates me is not the instances of sexual abuse, awful as they were, but the cover-up of those crimes. The bishops who moved those priests around from one parish to another like chess pieces should be vigorously prosecuted. The effort to protect the Church from scandal is the greatest scandal. I do not know of one Catholic who is not outraged by the actions of these bishops. I certainly did not intend that all the money I put in the collection basket would be used to compensate the victims of sexual abuse by a few priests.
Old 08-17-18, 11:58 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
As a still practicing Catholic, I realize that the percentage of deviant priests is low in comparison to the priesthood as a whole. BUT--what infuriates me is not the instances of sexual abuse, awful as they were, but the cover-up of those crimes. The bishops who moved those priests around from one parish to another like chess pieces should be vigorously prosecuted. The effort to protect the Church from scandal is the greatest scandal. I do not know of one Catholic who is not outraged by the actions of these bishops. I certainly did not intend that all the money I put in the collection basket would be used to compensate the victims of sexual abuse by a few priests.
Yep, life long Catholic, and completely agree.
Old 08-17-18, 07:55 PM
All American

gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
It is the nature of any bureaucracy to protect itself. In some of the largest this can become the norm...power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. It is many times worse and even praised in other bureaucracies.
If your muslim it's cool to have a 12 year old wife and better throw the little boy off the roof after your done with him...

Just the "deep state" powers doing its thing.
Old 08-17-18, 09:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I agree with you for the most part. A single disease can sure kill a lot of people if left unchecked though. That's why I'm not a fan of the percentage argument. Some of these bishops who spread this cancer ended up being cardinals who spread more of the cancer. Protect the shield and keep the coffers full.
Old 08-17-18, 09:44 PM
All World

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
The Catholic church institutional is a trainwreck. Thank god we have the Press(fakenews) and legal justice to get to the truth. The fact the institution protects themselves is something we all need to fight. Otherwise the institution will die.
Old 08-18-18, 07:17 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I guess they do deserve some applause for no longer actively moving around priests so they could molest more kids. Though it seems they only changed that behavior once they got caught.

Catholics
Cause clergy from other denominations have never sexually assaulted anyone?
Old 08-18-18, 09:04 AM
Cooling Off

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
Only after they are dead.
Old 08-18-18, 09:09 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Priests and diddling little boys. Name a more iconic duo.
Old 08-18-18, 02:21 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
Have other denominatons systemically covered up child abuse and moved the abusers around so they could continue to rape children?

Last edited by Neopolitan; 08-18-18 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-18-18, 02:56 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Because the public schools are catching and reporting and the Catholic schools were/are hiding it? You weren't captain of the debate team, were you. Or was your school motto that "see no evil..." one?

And we do have recent examples from the private sector so ... sometimes you set aside the pizzing match and get on the same side. School staff crosses lanes, it's not unusual.

Everyone needs to train their staffs to keep personal distance, don't even give emotions a chance. These are not all "predators" in the sense we think of it. It's young teachers, even mid-life, seems a recent spate of women going through divorces... Emotions are emotions. People need to be told regularly, keep it in check. Keep the door open. Don't be alone.

The "no snitch" thing, observing behavior that's crossing or too close to a line. Some of these things are their own worse enemies in my opinion. Trying to prevent something looks like it's getting out of hand has the same effect and instant punishment as if something had happened. So, people don't report. That needs fixing.
Old 08-18-18, 05:49 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Because the public schools are catching and reporting and the Catholic schools were/are hiding it?
Let me just drop these here.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...816-story.html
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/cp...hickey-report/
Old 08-18-18, 07:55 PM
All World

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Just let them bang woman and get married
Old 08-18-18, 08:14 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest
Because the public schools are catching and reporting and the Catholic schools were/are hiding it?
Let me just drop these here.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...816-story.html
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/cp...hickey-report/
You dropped something. The argument. Did I not say, there were also problems in the Public system or was the refutation of Pmojo's point, just too far over your privately educated head? One locality vs a Catholic run WORLD WIDE Network of abusers? And you're trying to make a petty point?

Did Chicago cover up abuses in Philidelphia? No? Run along. Your Priest is calling.

You didn't even provide good examples to make your case. So bad, you had to use the same situation twice. Abuses in the Public system happen, as I made clear. There are problems with reporting, as I made clear. These were deficiencies, not overt attempt to not only cover-up, but excuse, promote, and facilitate as in the case of the Church and Church run schools but we KNOW there are abuses in both systems. Local deficiencies vs. World Wide cover-up? I guess you got me with this Chicago thing.

Changes nothing for the victims if they were abused by the bigger system. To my last point, this public-private bs that Pmojo attempted works against both systems solving the problem. But make no mistake, locally run organizations cannot cover-up quite like an organization that can pack up an abuser and his/her teddy bears and send them to Guatamala.
Old 08-18-18, 09:09 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Abuses in the Public system happen, as I made clear. There are problems with reporting, as I made clear.
You made no such things clear. I even quoted you. You said the public schools are catching and reporting. Now you are saying that there are problems with catching and reporting.
Old 08-19-18, 06:18 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
You made no such things clear. I even quoted you. You said the public schools are catching and reporting. Now you are saying that there are problems with catching and reporting.
and I also wrote that there are problems with reporting. Last paragraph, clear as day. Do you really want a pizzing match because you can't read more that 140 characters?

I'm not the one trying to divert by taking an azzhat side on public-private, when the issue is abuse by people in position of influence and power and what systems do or don't do that permit it to propapate. Talk to Pmojo if you want that discussion.
Old 08-19-18, 07:29 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
and I also wrote that there are problems with reporting. Last paragraph, clear as day. Do you really want a pizzing match because you can't read more that 140 characters?
So to be clear you claimed that they are reporting and that they aren't reporting?
Old 08-19-18, 09:32 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Have other denominatons systemically covered up child abuse and moved the abusers around so they could continue to rape children?
I have no idea. Do you know?
Old 08-19-18, 11:26 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
I have no idea. Do you know?
Seems like the catholics are in a league of their own when it comes to enabling child rape.
Old 08-19-18, 11:39 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Seems like the catholics are in a league of their own when it comes to enabling child rape.
Not the Catholic laity, but the Catholic bishops. Big difference.
Old 08-19-18, 11:40 AM
All Yappi

chs1971 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Just let them bang woman and get married
You think that's how it works? Frustrated heterosexuals turn into gay pedophiles?
Old 08-19-18, 12:24 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Not the Catholic laity, but the Catholic bishops. Big difference.
Right, just the leaders of the organization are really effective at enabling child rape. That's much better.
Old 08-19-18, 12:25 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
You think that's how it works? Frustrated heterosexuals turn into gay pedophiles?
If so, someone might want to keep an eye on pboy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: