Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-08-18, 10:51 PM
Hardwork21 Hardwork21 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-15-12
Posts: 96
Hardwork21 is on a distinguished road
100 wins

What is the percentage of high school wrestlers that make the 100 win millstone? Congrats to those who have achieved it!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-08-18, 11:01 PM
tennman tennman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-23-15
Location: SW
Posts: 290
tennman is on a distinguished road
Not sure the percentage, but I'd say a decent wrestler should hit 100 wins around the middle to end of their Jr year....if no major injuries happen
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-09-18, 01:02 PM
Blast82.5 Blast82.5 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-30-11
Posts: 476
Blast82.5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennman View Post
Not sure the percentage, but I'd say a decent wrestler should hit 100 wins around the middle to end of their Jr year....if no major injuries happen
I think I agree with the sentiment that many guys reach 100 wins. But I think we have different definitions of "decent." Middle-to-end of Jr year would mean the guy is winning nearly 40 matches a year, even as a Fr and So (which assumes they are starting).

I would say many "decent" wrestlers aren't starting their Fr year, and if they do, having an "even" record like 18-18 record would be considered OK.

Depends a lot on the schedule. My kids' HS team wrestled a reasonably tough schedule in D1. Older kid hit 100 wins midway through Sr year, and was a 3X SP. Younger kid never reached 100, and was a 3X SQ. IMO, he was at least "decent."

I remember a conversation between older kid and a friend, who couldn't believe my kid didn't have 100 wins entering Sr year. "I've got more than 100 pins!" The difference was radically different competition. If you schedule lots of wins, you'll get lots of wins.

In response to the original poster ... I'd say < 20% of kids achieve 100 varsity wins.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-09-18, 01:19 PM
Hardwork21 Hardwork21 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-15-12
Posts: 96
Hardwork21 is on a distinguished road
Interesting. Schedule has a lot to do with it. I see some programs have more matches in the season than others.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-09-18, 01:24 PM
tennman tennman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-23-15
Location: SW
Posts: 290
tennman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast82.5 View Post
I think I agree with the sentiment that many guys reach 100 wins. But I think we have different definitions of "decent." Middle-to-end of Jr year would mean the guy is winning nearly 40 matches a year, even as a Fr and So (which assumes they are starting).

I would say many "decent" wrestlers aren't starting their Fr year, and if they do, having an "even" record like 18-18 record would be considered OK.

Depends a lot on the schedule. My kids' HS team wrestled a reasonably tough schedule in D1. Older kid hit 100 wins midway through Sr year, and was a 3X SP. Younger kid never reached 100, and was a 3X SQ. IMO, he was at least "decent."

I remember a conversation between older kid and a friend, who couldn't believe my kid didn't have 100 wins entering Sr year. "I've got more than 100 pins!" The difference was radically different competition. If you schedule lots of wins, you'll get lots of wins.

In response to the original poster ... I'd say < 20% of kids achieve 100 varsity wins.
Yeah decent is a wide term, our high school team(d1)currently has a couple kids that are around 85 wins in this their Jr year and have not qualified for the state tournament to this point. My son is a Jr and should hit 100 wins the season, but has yet to qualify for state, close both years, but always in a brutal district

Last edited by tennman; 12-09-18 at 04:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-09-18, 02:41 PM
Crab Ride Crab Ride is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-28-17
Posts: 273
Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
A lot depends on what are considered “wins”, scheduling and competition. I don’t count forfeits and JV matches as wins. Scheduling has a lot to do with this as well. If tenman’s kid is closing in on 100 this early in his junior year and isn’t a sq I’d suggest he’s not wrestling a very challenging schedule.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-09-18, 03:59 PM
tennman tennman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-23-15
Location: SW
Posts: 290
tennman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
A lot depends on what are considered “wins”, scheduling and competition. I don’t count forfeits and JV matches as wins. Scheduling has a lot to do with this as well. If tenman’s kid is closing in on 100 this early in his junior year and isn’t a sq I’d suggest he’s not wrestling a very challenging schedule.
No Ironman or anything like that, but all varsity wins. We do count ffs though. We'll be at the Hoover holiday tournament this weekend and Dayton holiday tournament coming up. He wrestlers for Miamisburg, no injures and always been on varsity. He might not hit 100 wins till the end of this year never know... we'll see
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-09-18, 04:06 PM
tennman tennman is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-23-15
Location: SW
Posts: 290
tennman is on a distinguished road
I changed my comment about my son reaching 100 wins soon, looking at his schedule it'll more than likely be around sectionals or districts...I wasn't taking into account all the duals we have coming up
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-09-18, 05:41 PM
darthmalice darthmalice is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-26-14
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,345
darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennman View Post
I changed my comment about my son reaching 100 wins soon, looking at his schedule it'll more than likely be around sectionals or districts...I wasn't taking into account all the duals we have coming up
That was about the same time period one of my son's reached 100, last year.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
National MS Duals Nov 9-11 at SeaGate Convention Centre MSDUALS Wrestling 4 11-28-18 09:31 AM
Eastern Buckeye Conference ( the beginning) Old Wildcat Football 636 11-05-18 09:01 PM
100 wins - Kobey Bronaugh pete Wrestling 1 02-19-18 02:23 PM
Region 11 Extreme Analysis teach1coach2 Football 36 10-27-17 07:43 AM
Springfield vs. Ellet thepolster Springfield Spartans 20 08-26-17 01:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz