Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-18, 11:13 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
While we wait for Bevo's quiz...

Billboard record for oldest artist to have a Top-40 single at the
time of it's release:

Can you name the artist / song / age ; that set the Billboard record

You will be surprised.

clue = d

:>---

EGA
Well, the "clue = d" might be Dolly Parton, but I'll take a wild guess with Louie Armstrong and "What a Wonderful World". I think the song was recorded in the late '60s.

ROCK ON!
Old 07-21-18, 11:20 PM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Well, the "clue = d" might be Dolly Parton, but I'll take a wild guess with Louie Armstrong and "What a Wonderful World". I think the song was recorded in the late '60s.

ROCK ON!

OWK,

How 'bout splitting your two guesses and coming up with Louie Armstrong with " Hello Dolly" instead of " What A Wonderful World" ?

JB
Old 07-21-18, 11:32 PM
All World

One Who Knows is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
OWK,

How 'bout splitting your two guesses and coming up with Louie Armstrong with " Hello Dolly" instead of " What A Wonderful World" ?

JB
Hmm "JB", a very good idea. Also, did you catch the Scarlet & Gray in TBT? They look very good!

ROCK ON!
Old 07-22-18, 02:50 AM
All Ohio

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown Benny View Post
OWK,

JB
I, too, was thinking "Hello Dolly."
Old 07-22-18, 05:21 AM
All Region

Diva is on a distinguished road
Yes, the rain is very welcome unless you're out on the bike or run of a triathlon, as my husband and I were in Shelby yesterday morning. We both won medals for first place in our age division. He had competition; I didn't.

I didn't read about the basketball game until this morning, so we missed Jon playing. I hope they rebroadcast it. I would have loved to see it.
Old 07-22-18, 09:09 AM
All American

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Who Knows View Post
Hmm "JB", a very good idea. Also, did you catch the Scarlet & Gray in TBT? They look very good!

ROCK ON!

OWK,

Yes, I did see the Scarlet & Gray game yesterday. Really enjoyed seeing all the former Buckeyes again. It was nice to see the appreciation shown for Thad Matta by the sell-out crowd also. I believe the next TBT game for the Bucks is this afternoon at 2:00pm vs. The Matadors, hopefully it isn't that Madrid Real or Real Madrid ( can't remember what their name is), seems with a name like that they should be playing the Chicago Bulls instead of the Buckeyes.

I am completely unfamiliar with the " Elam" ending to a game now ???? Is that something new this year or has it been used in other leagues or international play ? I was lost with the quick explanation the announcers provided . All of a sudden the Bucks had to win by 7 points for the game to end after the 4 minute mark, I guess it's a "Mercy Rule" way to put an end to games no longer in doubt. I don't necessarily dislike it, Just caught me off guard and initially was confused, but that happens to me all the time anymore,lol.

While we are on the subject of hoops, I read a really interesting excerpt in the August issue of "Columbus Monthly" magazine yesterday from a new book that will go on sale nationally on September 18th.

The name of the book is "Tigerland" written by Columbus native Wil Haygood and chronicles the Columbus East Tigers basketball team dynasty that resulted in a 70-1 record over a three year period including back to back state championships in 1968 and 1969. The team only lost one game back in their sophomore year to city league rival Columbus Linden McKinley who ended up winning the state championship in 1967 led by Jim Cleamens and Skip Young.

The book also touches on the state baseball team state champions of Columbus East back in 1969 as well. The excerpt really whet my appetite for the book and it should be on my bookshelf within a day or two after its release.

As you know, I am a Central Ohio HS basketball junkie and particularly of the 60's and 70's era. I followed that Columbus East team very closely as they personally knocked one of the very best Newark Wildcat teams ever out in the Regional Finals in a heartbreaking loss 55-50. Newark entered the final quarter trailing the East juggernaut 37-36 as Bo Lamar hit a shot at the buzzer to take the lead. With 20 seconds left in the game Newark was only down 53-50 and had the ball ! The Wildcats missed three straight shots before East grabbed the final rebound and scored another bucket. A few days after East had won the 1969 State championship game 71-56 over Canton McKinley,East coach Bob Hart stated that the Newark Wildcat team they beat in the Regional Finals was the best team the Tigers played that season and said it would have been nice if the two teams had met in the State Finals.

The "Tigerland" author Wil Haygood as written 8 previous books including "Sweet Thunder", The Life and Times of Sugar Ray Robinson, "In Black& White", The life of Sammy Davis Jr. and wrote a Washington Post story about White House butler, Eugene Allen who served under 8 presidents and was made into the movie "The Butler" a few years ago.

Thought you any other Central Ohio HS basketball fans from the era may find the book interesting.

JB
Old 07-22-18, 11:20 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
(Louis Armstrong, who would have been 86 when "What a Wonderful World" became a hit in 1988, is the oldest overall, although Armstrong was younger than xxxxxx when the record was made).

Clue = d = dead (the artist) / d = Dick (first name of the song writer)
Clue = d ( a big hit for the first artist to record the song- name started with a 'D')
Clue = get in touch with your feminine side .

It was a '"What a Wonderful World" is a pop ballad written by Bob Thiele
Recorded by Louis Armstrong and released in 1967 as a single
Armstrong was 66 when he recorded it.
It did not break into the Top-40 until a re-release in the late 1980s.

:>---

EGA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: