Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-12-18, 09:47 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Solon Comets 2018

My apologies for starting this thread so late. I've been in workaholic mode all summer, so I've rarely visited Yappi. I also missed Solon's first two scrimmages. I don't know nearly as much about the team as I usually do at this time, but I'll share what I do know.

The Comets are coming off a 5-5 record in 2017. The team started off 5-1 before the campaign was torn asunder by injuries and dissension. I won't dwell on last year's problems except to say that if Solon goes through similar controversy, 2018 could become the Comets' first losing season in football since 1969. If the coaching staff, players and parents could mend their differences and get back on the same page, Solon might surprise those who predict a so-so season.

Solon's fortunes will hinge on the play of the quarterbacks. The most experienced returnee is soph Patrick McQuaide, the son of head coach Jim McQuaide. Patrick made his varsity debut as a freshman and struggled mightily, though he also flashed talent. If he's ready to handle varsity ball this year, the team will be better for it. Senior Jimmy Casamento has been sharing time with McQuaide in the scrimmages.

Junior RJ Howard will start at tailback and he will be a worthy successor to Thomas Wilks. This kid is big (205 lbs.), fast and he plays lights out. He's going to be a star. Khalil Eichelberger, Jeff Barnett and Nate Miller will back up RJ.

The receiving corps might be the strongest unit on the team. Senior Trevon Raphael (6-4) is an all-Ohio candidate with offers from Penn State and Michigan, among others. He might be the most athletic wideout at Solon since Drew Carter in the late '90s. Sammy Bubonics, Grant McCurry, Dominic McGhee and Ethan Wong give Solon "deep depth." Nick Close is the TE when Solon needs one.

The O-line was a weakness last year but should be better this year; in part because nearly every lineman returns. But also because a solid group of junior linemen can push the regulars and provide depth. Ron Carr (6-5, 245) is the top returnee. He'll play tackle. Cade Cohen returns at the other tackle, but he may take a back seat to all-Ohio lineman Nate Leskovec, who will probably play both ways. Nolan McNamara (260) and Wayne Chaney return at guard. The center spot is open. Perhaps a junior will earn a starting role.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-18, 10:06 PM
All Yappi

Now for the defense:

If WR isn't the strongest unit on the 2018 Comets, then the D-line is. Solon returns two outstanding starters and welcomes back a 2016 standout who missed most of last year with an injury. Nate Leskovec is Solon's best player, and probably one of the 15-20 greatest Comet players ever. He's a 6-3, 245 lb. heat-seeking missile with instincts to match his talent. He's also about to become a four-year starter. He made first team all-Ohio and he's got scholarship offers from Northwestern, Boston College, Pitt and others. Nate is primarily an end but he's also played tackle and he may move inside this year. I haven't seen the scrimmages so I don't know for sure. Yusef Russell (268) returns at nose tackle, where he's good enough to keep opponents from doubling up on Leskovec. The Comets also return David Marbury (6-3, 237), one of the best players on the team. Marbury broke an ankle in Week 2 last year and missed the rest of the season. It was a real blow to Solon. Marbury is another potential D1 recruit. The other DE spot is open, that is, if Leskovec moves inside. Potential starters are senior Nick Close, junior Owen Bell (who was a beast on the 2016 freshman team) and soph Najee Story who, I'm told, is a potential star.

Two starting linebackers return: senior OLB Jeff Barnett and senior MLB Michael Laubscher. I believe Laubscher made HM all-league last year. It appears that senior Nate Miller will be the other OLB. RJ Howard might see backup duty at LB.

Sammy Bubonics, Grant McCurry and Dominic McGhee all started in last year's secondary. They should make the secondary a standout unit in 2018. I believe that Idris Ervin will start at safety.

Don't know much about the kickers. I guess I'll find out Week 1 at Aurora, just like everyone else.

Last edited by Metacomet; 08-12-18 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-12-18, 10:19 PM
All Yappi

Here is Solon's 2018 schedule:

Aug. 24 - @ Aurora
Aug. 31 - Twinsburg
Sept. 7 - Stow
Sept. 14 - Elyria
Sept. 21 - @ Strongsville
Sept. 28 - @ Brunswick
Oct. 5 - Euclid (homecoming)
Oct. 12 - @ Mentor
Oct. 19 - Shaker Heights
Oct. 26 - @ Medina

The Comets hope for improvement in 2018 but they face a gauntlet in the loaded GCC. Mentor, Euclid and Strongsville all expect to be playoff-bound and state-ranked. Brunswick expects to be improved. Stow will once again be a challenge and it will be a good sign for the rest of the campaign if the Comets can break their three-year losing streak against the Dawgs.
Old 08-12-18, 10:30 PM
All Yappi

Since I missed the first two scrimmages, I'm dying to know what happened. Scores, who stood out, that sort of information. Any Solonites with news to share will be greatly appreciated. I will also miss the North Ridgeville scrimmage, so I'd love to get a report on that one.

Please feel free to contribute. Information is a wonderful thing to share.

Go Comets!!
Old 08-13-18, 01:21 PM
All Region

jimbo is on a distinguished road
this year

Thanks for the info Meta.

Ready to talk about and watch this year after last year's trash talking drama.

Go Comets!