Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-08-17, 02:53 PM
All Region

buckeye1689 is on a distinguished road
2017 Flyin' to the Hoop

What are some thoughts on this years tournament/event/invitational? What games are people looking forward to the most, like top 3. What day or days have the best games overall? This is my 1st year going so I am very excited, love Trent Arena and the fact that its a smaller gym not like UD or the Nutter Center. A few games that interest me are Huntington Prep (WV) vs. Wayne (OH), Upper Arlington (OH) vs. Garfield Heights (OH) and Tri-Village (OH) vs. Versailles (OH). Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-17, 07:05 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Trotwood vs Prolific Prep (CA) should be good. I think Trotwood is a top 5 team in the state this year and Prolific is a top 5 team in the nation according to some.
Old 01-08-17, 09:31 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
I do not like paying $15 to see my team play. I used to go to FTTH all the time but a long time ago they changed the format to where it is not a tournament and I totally lost interest when they had a gimmick with 3 female refs in one game and they blew the last call costing a team a win.

I could also care less about these academies/Prep schools and would much rather see traditional high school teams.
Old 01-08-17, 09:47 PM
All American

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I do not like paying $15 to see my team play. I used to go to FTTH all the time but a long time ago they changed the format to where it is not a tournament and I totally lost interest when they had a gimmick with 3 female refs in one game and they blew the last call costing a team a win.

I could also care less about these academies/Prep schools and would much rather see traditional high school teams.
100% correct Vamp
Old 01-09-17, 09:37 AM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
I can't wait to watch the Springfield/Eastmoor Academy game. I want to see what and how Eastmoor will counter Springfield type of play.
Old 01-09-17, 09:45 AM
All American

ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Trotwood vs Prolific Prep (CA) should be good. I think Trotwood is a top 5 team in the state this year and Prolific is a top 5 team in the nation according to some.
Definitely consensus top 5 in the country. Their backcourt has some Ohio connections. Paul Scruggs is a top 40 kid heading to Xavier. Gary Trent Jr's dad is, well, Gary Trent.
Old 01-09-17, 10:23 AM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Is there some reason you think a female can't ref a game?
Old 01-09-17, 11:26 AM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachablekid View Post
I can't wait to watch the Springfield/Eastmoor Academy game. I want to see what and how Eastmoor will counter Springfield type of play.
Springfield always struggles when they play the day after the Wayne game,it's like they have no energy
Old 01-09-17, 11:40 AM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachablekid View Post
I dont see Springfield playing well. Centerville Tuesday, Wayne Friday night then a early game Saturday. Hope I am wrong though
Old 01-09-17, 12:01 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
You know, Ive always wondered why Fairmont has never or rarely played any of the out of town team in FTTH? You would think since they are hosting the tourney they could get at least on marquis game. But instead they end up playing a pedestrian league game.
Old 01-09-17, 12:33 PM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
I dont see Springfield playing well. Centerville Tuesday, Wayne Friday night then a early game Saturday. Hope I am wrong though
Eastmoor has Africentric on tuesday and south on friday with maybe a chance to be 1st in the city league south division. Last friday played a very tough Walnut Ridge team then last saturday played Westerville North. A tough 5 game stretch. It should be a good one. Springfield has good guard play with a physical big man; EA has length everywhere and seem to be gelling.
Old 01-09-17, 01:34 PM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Arguably Xavier's best ever recruit, Paul Scruggs, plays for Prolific Prep. Something to watch if you are an X fan.
Old 01-09-17, 01:38 PM
All Ohio

BrutusBuckeye90 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by playboi12 View Post
You know, Ive always wondered why Fairmont has never or rarely played any of the out of town team in FTTH? You would think since they are hosting the tourney they could get at least on marquis game. But instead they end up playing a pedestrian league game.
Maybe because nobody wants to watch them get smoked by some out of state powerhouse?? They are better off standing a chance against some local team.
Old 01-09-17, 05:09 PM
All American

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
I'm going Saturday, really excited to see Wheeler and Huntington Prep play. Lots of good players, lots of good teams, including some I haven't seen before, which is always nice.
Old 01-09-17, 08:51 PM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
it's because Fairmont has had no business being in the tournament since they've hosted FFTH except about 3 years ago when they had a solid team. There are always a couple of local teams that make it into FFTH that I question how they got invited. Surprised that Moeller is not in it this year. They are a team that could possibly win state for DI this year
Old 01-09-17, 09:08 PM
All American

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
it's because Fairmont has had no business being in the tournament since they've hosted FFTH except about 3 years ago when they had a solid team. There are always a couple of local teams that make it into FFTH that I question how they got invited. Surprised that Moeller is not in it this year. They are a team that could possibly win state for DI this year
Only GCL south teams in FTTH history are Moe in 2009, St. Xavier in 2005/04, and La Salle in 04. Must be a reason for the lack of teams, but I don't have an idea nor want to speculate.
Old 01-09-17, 09:11 PM
Junior Varsity

AG321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

15 bucks is cheap to watch 6 games per day. Heck you pay 8 or 9 bucks just to watch one GWOC league game.

I like the competitive matchups versus the tournament format.

Why you blaming FTTH for a bad call. Male officials make bad calls too. Maybe you should blame the OHSAA who certifies these officials or better yet, blame the assigner who schedules the officials for each game. Eric Hortsman and staff are not to blame.

Majority of the people want to see the prep schools play because most of the time, they have the 5 star athletes who play at Kentucky, Duke, Ohio State, etc. Then you have Ohio versus the nation games that people enjoy too.

Enjoy watching the "No Fun League" and all the overpaid athletes this weekend instead of watching some good high school and possibly your next college basketball one and done player.
Old 01-10-17, 01:27 AM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Quote:
Sidney features one of the top players in the state in the '19 class. Nothing pedestrian about that. Despite being in the same conference, Sidney and Fairmont have only played twice in the last decade. A regular season game in 2008 and a tournament game in 2010. Not exactly a regular or common matchup.
Old 01-10-17, 10:38 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
Only GCL south teams in FTTH history are Moe in 2009, St. Xavier in 2005/04, and La Salle in 04. Must be a reason for the lack of teams, but I don't have an idea nor want to speculate.
They are boring to watch,that style is not enjoyable to watch
Old 01-10-17, 12:35 PM
All American

BusinessEnd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigv View Post
They are boring to watch,that style is not enjoyable to watch
I would say it has more to do with all the GCL-South schools playing in 3 or 4 game tournaments over Christmas Break and needing to get as many home games in as possible out of the remaining games.
Old 01-10-17, 01:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessEnd View Post
I would say it has more to do with all the GCL-South schools playing in 3 or 4 game tournaments over Christmas Break and needing to get as many home games in as possible out of the remaining games.
It's only one game,but you may be right
Old 01-10-17, 03:54 PM
All Region

AIK Solna is on a distinguished road
FTTH is a great event. I've bought weekend passes every year for the past 4-5 years and have never been disappointed.
Old 01-10-17, 04:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
Is there some reason you think a female can't ref a game?
not what I stated, I said that it was a gimmick to put 3 female refs in one game together.
Old 01-10-17, 04:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG321 View Post
15 bucks is cheap to watch 6 games per day. Heck you pay 8 or 9 bucks just to watch one GWOC league game.

I like the competitive matchups versus the tournament format.

Why you blaming FTTH for a bad call. Male officials make bad calls too. Maybe you should blame the OHSAA who certifies these officials or better yet, blame the assigner who schedules the officials for each game. Eric Hortsman and staff are not to blame.

Majority of the people want to see the prep schools play because most of the time, they have the 5 star athletes who play at Kentucky, Duke, Ohio State, etc. Then you have Ohio versus the nation games that people enjoy too.

Enjoy watching the "No Fun League" and all the overpaid athletes this weekend instead of watching some good high school and possibly your next college basketball one and done player.
I only want to watch 1 game. I used to watch all of them and back then it was only $10.00 but now I am older and my body cannot take it. 1 game for $15.00 is steep especially if you have a family going to their kids game and now that is like $60.00 for 1 game.

To each his own, I like tournament formats...

I blame FTTH for the call because they were the ones that came up with this gimmick to have an all female crew. It was a publicity stunt and the only reason all 3 of them were on the court at the same time was because they were female....

I get that, they want to see the player. I like to see teams. I hate watching ESPN when they have showcases and they talk about recruiting instead of talking about the game that is on.

I hate the NBA and never watch it. As for College, I only watch Dayton and Michigan or Wisconsin to watch Trice, Bowling Green to watch Caldwell. Oh, I guess you were talking about the NFL. I agree, over paid... not a fan. $15 to me is a lot of money, to others it is just a drop in the bucket.
Old 01-10-17, 05:16 PM
All District

hvs1717 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
not what I stated, I said that it was a gimmick to put 3 female refs in one game together.
That may not be what you meant to say. But calling it a gimmick, the implication is that the three women weren't qualified or deserving. You also implied that if a man was on the crew they wouldn't have blown the call at the end of the game. That may not be the message you meant to convey but that is the message you sent.
Old 01-10-17, 05:50 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
I think FTTH is a really fantastic event, and it brings together a lot more Ohio teams to play each other than what would otherwise happen. If you look at the schedule, you can see there are mostly "normal high school" vs "normal high school" games.

http://flyintothehoop.com/ftth-schedule/

I think they do a decent job of keeping the whole national prep school thing to a minimum, especially since they mostly play each other in this event. You also have to keep in mind there is a segment of the fanbase that wants to see these super teams stacked with future DI talent play as well.

I think the Pickerington Central/Wheeler game is going to be awesome. I also don't think you'd see matchups like Gahanna/Thurgood Marshall, Cleveland Heights/Centerville, and so on without an event like this.
Old 01-10-17, 07:19 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs1717 View Post
That may not be what you meant to say. But calling it a gimmick, the implication is that the three women weren't qualified or deserving. You also implied that if a man was on the crew they wouldn't have blown the call at the end of the game. That may not be the message you meant to convey but that is the message you sent.
Exactly my point.
Old 01-11-17, 07:07 AM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Quote:

http://www.thesuvtv.com/flyintothehoop

You can pay $8 to watch individual games online. $20 for all 20 games. Seems like a better value than actually going. Save some gas money.
Old 01-12-17, 03:38 AM
All Ohio

Michael Hirn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 View Post
http://www.thesuvtv.com/flyintothehoop

You can pay $8 to watch individual games online. $20 for all 20 games. Seems like a better value than actually going. Save some gas money.
This is one of my favorite events of the year to be a part of the broadcast for (Friday and Sunday) because you get so many different styles of play to call and games with great teams and stars both.
Old 01-12-17, 08:37 AM
All American

ammtd34 is on a distinguished road
If anyone was going specifically to watch Paul Scruggs, he will not be playing.