Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-28-16, 12:37 PM
All Ohio

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
2016-2017 Cleveland Cavaliers

Seems like this thread is overdue, no? Kevin Love seems to be way more comfortable in the offense so far early this season than really any other point during his time with the Cavs.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-16, 01:45 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Yep, he's putting up 22.3 and 10.7 right now. Seems like the weight of the world has been lifted off of him after the Cavs got the title. Don't hear any more stories about how miserable he is or how he and LeBron don't get along
Old 11-29-16, 02:41 PM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Yep, he's putting up 22.3 and 10.7 right now. Seems like the weight of the world has been lifted off of him after the Cavs got the title. Don't hear any more stories about how miserable he is or how he and LeBron don't get along
Plus, he not a finished product. He is still getting better. This guy hasn't even reached his prime years.
Old 11-29-16, 10:18 PM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad is on a distinguished road
Cavs no heart season over. Lost to Bucks bad team. Trade LeBron Love no good only player any good is Kyrie. Ty lu terrible coach I better than him draw up plays. Wasted season Cavs suck.

-Brian1227
Old 11-29-16, 11:43 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
What a bad loss
Old 11-30-16, 08:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
What a bad loss
And...we're off.
Old 11-30-16, 10:04 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
And...we're off.
Right on que
Old 11-30-16, 11:50 AM
All District

The Joker is on a distinguished road
I'm a bit concerned with the output of the bench. Seems like we don't have a spark off the bench.
Old 11-30-16, 02:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I'm a bit concerned with the output of the bench. Seems like we don't have a spark off the bench.
Doesn't really help that the Cavs trade away most draft picks and miss out on all picks outside the top 5
Old 11-30-16, 02:33 PM
All American

Jim Lahey can only hope to improve
Quote:
Doesn't really help that the Cavs trade away most draft picks and miss out on all picks outside the top 5
What's up with Cleveland team's and sucking at drafting?
Old 11-30-16, 03:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
What's up with Cleveland team's and sucking at drafting?
I'd say the Cavs have drafted pretty well (LeBron, Kyrie, Wiggins)
Old 11-30-16, 03:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
If we're starting at LeBron, and excluding Kay Felder in this past draft, that puts them at 4/13 including Tristan Thompson. You can't count Danny Green or Jae Crowder as Green was waived after one season (playing in 20 games) and Crowder was traded on draft night. And can you really give them credit for "drafting well" in 2003 when LeBron was the only choice for the #1 pick?

You think 4/13 is doing pretty well?
Old 11-30-16, 04:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You just named the three #1 overall picks from drafts where the #1 pick was blatantly obvious ... and after I specifically said they've missed on nearly every pick outside the top 5
Old 11-30-16, 05:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
If we're starting at LeBron, and excluding Kay Felder in this past draft, that puts them at 4/13 including Tristan Thompson. You can't count Danny Green or Jae Crowder as Green was waived after one season (playing in 20 games) and Crowder was traded on draft night. And can you really give them credit for "drafting well" in 2003 when LeBron was the only choice for the #1 pick?

You think 4/13 is doing pretty well?
They won the championship. They're doing something right.
Old 12-01-16, 08:36 AM
All American

Quote:
With a majority of the players on their team they didn't draft. And on top of that, they failed to win championships from in 2007, 08, 09 and 2010 and it's 100% because the Cavs were terrible at drafting + signing free agents. When you have the best player in the for as long as the Cavs have and only win one title?

And crap, I can't believe I said 4/13. They are 4/24. Do you think 4/24 is doing pretty well? With rounding up, that's a 17% success rate. I realize, as a Browns fan, you'd be ecstatic with 17% success rate, but that doesn't mean the Cavs are doing pretty well.
Old 12-01-16, 08:51 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
With a majority of the players on their team they didn't draft. And on top of that, they failed to win championships from in 2007, 08, 09 and 2010 and it's 100% because the Cavs were terrible at drafting + signing free agents. When you have the best player in the for as long as the Cavs have and only win one title?

And crap, I can't believe I said 4/13. They are 4/24. Do you think 4/24 is doing pretty well? With rounding up, that's a 17% success rate. I realize, as a Browns fan, you'd be ecstatic with 17% success rate, but that doesn't mean the Cavs are doing pretty well.
Let's look at the draft history of two recent NBA champions:

Golden State: 2009: Steph Curry; 2010: Ekpe Udoh; 2011: Klay Thompson, Charles Jenkins; 2012: Harrison Barnes, Festus Ezeli, Draymond Green, Ognjen Kuzmic; 2015: Kevon Looney.

San Antonio: 2009: DeJuan Blair, Jack McClinton, Nando DeColo; 2010: James Anderson, Ryan Richards; 2011: Cory Joseph, Adam Hangen; 2012: Marcus Denmon; 2013: Livio Jean-Charles, Deshaun Thomas; 2014: Kyle Anderson, Jordan McRae, Cory Jefferson; 2015: Nikoli Milutinov, Cory Lalanne.

Golden State is not bad at all, 4 players who could be considered impact players (Barnes is borderline and has moved on) and one other who is serviceable (Ezeli, he's gone, too).

San Antonio, the franchise that is recognized as a pillar of stability, has had 15 draft picks in the same timeframe. Look at that list. Do you see anybody on there you want on the Cavs' roster, with the possible exception of Joseph (now with the Raptors, and, yes, I know, McRae is on the Cavs roster)? I also realize that San Antonio has been so good for so long that they routinely draft near the end of the first round, but they have swung and missed on mostly all of their choices.

So, I certainly wouldn't call the Cavs drafting a failure, but the comparison also proves that building through the draft in the NBA is subjective. The Cavs track record isn't that bad.
Old 12-01-16, 10:00 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
Let's look at the draft history of two recent NBA champions:

Golden State: 2009: Steph Curry; 2010: Ekpe Udoh; 2011: Klay Thompson, Charles Jenkins; 2012: Harrison Barnes, Festus Ezeli, Draymond Green, Ognjen Kuzmic; 2015: Kevon Looney.

San Antonio: 2009: DeJuan Blair, Jack McClinton, Nando DeColo; 2010: James Anderson, Ryan Richards; 2011: Cory Joseph, Adam Hangen; 2012: Marcus Denmon; 2013: Livio Jean-Charles, Deshaun Thomas; 2014: Kyle Anderson, Jordan McRae, Cory Jefferson; 2015: Nikoli Milutinov, Cory Lalanne.

Golden State is not bad at all, 4 players who could be considered impact players (Barnes is borderline and has moved on) and one other who is serviceable (Ezeli, he's gone, too).

San Antonio, the franchise that is recognized as a pillar of stability, has had 15 draft picks in the same timeframe. Look at that list. Do you see anybody on there you want on the Cavs' roster, with the possible exception of Joseph (now with the Raptors, and, yes, I know, McRae is on the Cavs roster)? I also realize that San Antonio has been so good for so long that they routinely draft near the end of the first round, but they have swung and missed on mostly all of their choices.

So, I certainly wouldn't call the Cavs drafting a failure, but the comparison also proves that building through the draft in the NBA is subjective. The Cavs track record isn't that bad.
Going back to 2003 (since I did with the Cavs) San Antonio got significant contributions from the following players who were drafted late:
Beno Udrih
Tiago Splitter
George Hill*
DeJuan Blair
Cory Joseph

George Hill was traded for Leonard, their best player now. The Cavs, on the other hand have gotten contributions from one guy drafted late: Booby Gibson. And what's forgotten is that SA has had a very veteran roster with not a lot of cap space to use on young guys who won't contribute immediately, thus they use them on guys overseas who might blow up in a few years, draft and stash. That's incredibly different than what the Cavs do. The Cavs are absolutely failures in the draft, unless, as Bluth said, they have the #1 pick and it's a those #1 picks are blatantly obvious.
Old 12-01-16, 11:05 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
The Cavs won the championship because LeBron James was born in Akron, Ohio and they hit the lottery twice with ping pong balls
Old 12-01-16, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

I don't know if the Spurs have had a pick higher than 26 in decades so that doesn't seem like a great comparison.

Ginobli was 57th overall. Parker was 28th overall. Scola 55th overall. Barbosa 28th overall. Splitter 28th overall. Dragic 45th overall. Cory Joseph 29th overall. Hill 26th overall - turned into Kawhi Leonard.

They obviously haven't hit on every pick they've made but they've hit enough times to set themselves up as a nearly 20 year dynasty
Old 12-01-16, 12:13 PM
All Ohio

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You just named the three #1 overall picks from drafts where the #1 pick was blatantly obvious ... and after I specifically said they've missed on nearly every pick outside the top 5
Typical 'madge.
Old 12-01-16, 01:05 PM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
You only need to hit on a few great pics over a 10 year period in basketball. It's not like the NFL or MLB, where scouting is crucial and misses can cripple certain position groups.
Old 12-01-16, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

I mean, Tristan Thompson is the best non #1 overall pick the Cavs have made ... and he went #4. After that I don't think they've hit on anyone. Not even an NBA bench caliber player.

I'll give Griffin credit for flipping Waiters for JR Smith and Iman Shumpert though. Easily the best move the Cavs have made, outside of the obvious #1 picks, and being located in a city near LeBron's birthplace. It was the guys before Griffin that sucked
Old 12-01-16, 11:40 PM
All Yappi

This is a bad team right now
Old 12-02-16, 10:33 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
This is a bad team right now
No, they're not, brian. But they are a complacent one right now, and that bothers me. I can almost accept the road loss to Milwaukee as a blip on the radar, but last night's loss to the Clippers was ridiculous. Their transition defense was non-existent and that is nothing more than lack of effort. The Clippers took full advantage of a team that got off to a good start and seemed to just turn off the switch. I know the Cavs have owned the Clips recently, but that is no reason to mail it in after one quarter. The Clippers embarrassed them on their home floor. I hope last night was a wake up call.
Old 12-02-16, 02:41 PM
All Yappi

It's early December. They can sleepwalk until April and still win the title
Old 12-02-16, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You really think so, huh? Ok...your lips to God's ear.
Old 12-02-16, 08:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Tell that to GSW, LAC, SA, Houston, Toronto, OKC...they may have something to say about that.
Old 12-02-16, 10:16 PM
All Yappi

How are they going to take the title from Cleveland before April? Do you think the Cavs are in danger of missing the playoffs?
Old 12-02-16, 10:22 PM
All Yappi

Cavs are horrible 3. Losses in row.
Old 12-03-16, 12:58 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Cavs are horrible 3. Losses in row.
Is this season over like the Steubenville/Hartley game was in the 2nd quarter Brian?

Teams go through these stretches. Damn, they just had the best start in franchise history and Lue was Coach of the Month for November.