Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Softball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-12-16, 02:30 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Softball Pitching (Leaping)

Watching a group of young pitchers that are just learning to pitch and the one thing that stands out is that they all appear to be taught to "leap" on their pitch. Just doing a little reading, this appears to be illegal in every form of fastpitch softball.

Is this leap being taught at early ages and will be corrected or is the leap something that isn't likely going to be called, so they teach it anyway?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-16, 03:11 PM
All American

Heavy Hitter 1
From what I have seen leaping isn't generally called at the younger ages. Now this doesn't make it legal or correct it just not usually called. As they get older I have seen it called a lot more. Again not all the time. I believe pitchers should be taught correctly from the beginning. This way they don't have to correct a bad habit or fix improper mechanics.
Old 09-12-16, 04:41 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
My daughter pitches and she was never taught to "leap" from day 1. What she was taught was to drive off of the rubber and stretch out the lead foot as much as possible so you transfer all this power to the plate and get as much as possible on the pitch. Look at the below picture, you can see that the big toe on the girls right foot drags and never leaves the ground but it sure looks like a ballerina on point. If you leap you lose some control but more importantly some of your power transfers up and not to the plate and you lose velocity.

Old 10-05-16, 08:12 PM
Junior Varsity

justicerunner is on a distinguished road
As long as one foot stays in contact with the ground, the pitcher is legal. There are two styles of softball pitching, leap-and-drag and step-style.

When my daughter was learning to pitch, I just wanted her to be successful, and I thought I would just teach the step-style pitch. One could argue, the shorter stride could give a young pitcher more velocity. But, then realized if we wanted her to be successful in the future, she would eventually have to start leap and dragging. So we invested the time and had her learn the leap-and-drag. Boy, I'm happy we did that now, at the time the leap and drag felt nearly impossible, she was 8 when she started using this style. If you watch any 14u and up pitchers, they all leap and drag.

If the pitcher is being called for hopping, there are some problems, possibly she is too forward. Look at her drag line in the dirt, to see if she is dragging (maintaining contact with the ground) the entire time.

In men's fastpitch, google Bill Hillhouse, they legally don't have to maintain contact with the ground. The girls have to maintain contact with the ground. The exception is, the first few inches in front of the pitcher's plate, especially if there is a large hole there. My daughter has been called for not maintaining contact, I think she was 9 years old, the last time she was called for that. They will get called for that. The ump usually makes her throw a few pitches, then the ump watched her like a hawk between innings during her warm up, from the side.

This is the technique my daughter's pitching coach teaches, similar to Amanda Scarborough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avcEmdxuc30

The attachment is an example. Notice, she is maintaining contact with her big toe and the ground:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KatCentralRegion.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1287  

Last edited by justicerunner; 10-05-16 at 08:34 PM..
Old 10-07-16, 12:53 PM
Junior Varsity

NewJacketCity is on a distinguished road
My daughter played U10 travel ball last summer and there was a team that she face had a girl who was really obviously hopping off of the rubber she was a smaller girl and she was doing it to get the added velocity on her pitches. After be told over and over the umpire finally went to the pitcher and explained what she was doing and that it wasn't a "legal" pitch at which time the opposing coach came out and gave the umpire grief. The girl tried to continue pitching, but couldn't do it with out the illegal hop. So the coach pulled her for another girl, one that ended up having the same issue. It was pretty apparent that those girls were being taught to pitch with that illegal hop. I think this was an instant where the travel coaches were putting the success of their team over developing the girls for not only their success, but future success. Instead they are creating a terrible habit that could be a detriment to that child's future success.
Old 10-15-16, 10:12 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJacketCity View Post
My daughter played U10 travel ball last summer and there was a team that she face had a girl who was really obviously hopping off of the rubber she was a smaller girl and she was doing it to get the added velocity on her pitches. After be told over and over the umpire finally went to the pitcher and explained what she was doing and that it wasn't a "legal" pitch at which time the opposing coach came out and gave the umpire grief. The girl tried to continue pitching, but couldn't do it with out the illegal hop. So the coach pulled her for another girl, one that ended up having the same issue. It was pretty apparent that those girls were being taught to pitch with that illegal hop. I think this was an instant where the travel coaches were putting the success of their team over developing the girls for not only their success, but future success. Instead they are creating a terrible habit that could be a detriment to that child's future success.
I agree, illegal pitching is a terrible habit to develop as a young pitcher and will not benefit that pitcher's future. I'm not sure how much experience you have in softball, but in 10u, having a fast pitcher can make an otherwise weak team, very dominating. Obviously, because of the 35 feet pitching distance, plus an 11 inch ball. By 12u, the pitcher is pushed back to 40 feet with a 12 inch ball. That's when most coaches seem to realize they need pitcher's who can move/spin the ball and hit spots, the pitcher has to become more deceptive, unless they are throwing extremely fast. A few weeks ago, I saw a grand slam hit off the fastest 12u pitcher I have ever seen. The pitcher was likely hitting upper 50's and even 60mph during the game, she was not from Ohio. Speed seems to only be extremely dominating in 10u, by 14u the pitcher is again moved back to 43 feet, the same distance as college pitchers, so unless they are playing very inexperienced players, they won't be able to dominate with speed.

I also stand corrected! During a recent 12u game, I witnessed a pitcher, slide her push foot forward from the mound, maybe 12 inches (I noticed from left field), then start her push from there. Everyone at the field knew it, but it was her team's 4th game of the day, and my daughter's team ended up winning 11-1 after 75 minutes. The umps did not call her on her illegal pitching style! But, I was thankful the umps allowed her to continue pitching, because if she was taken out there wouldn't have been much of a game. I'm sure I would have felt different if my daughter's team lost that game. I do feel bad for that pitcher, who had probably been allowed to pitch illegally until she was 12u, because I know that will be a hard habit for her to fix. She was getting no notable advantage, using her style, "getting no advantage" is not an excuse for being illegal.
Old 11-18-16, 03:58 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by justicerunner View Post
I agree, illegal pitching is a terrible habit to develop as a young pitcher and will not benefit that pitcher's future. I'm not sure how much experience you have in softball, but in 10u, having a fast pitcher can make an otherwise weak team, very dominating. Obviously, because of the 35 feet pitching distance, plus an 11 inch ball. By 12u, the pitcher is pushed back to 40 feet with a 12 inch ball. That's when most coaches seem to realize they need pitcher's who can move/spin the ball and hit spots, the pitcher has to become more deceptive, unless they are throwing extremely fast. A few weeks ago, I saw a grand slam hit off the fastest 12u pitcher I have ever seen. The pitcher was likely hitting upper 50's and even 60mph during the game, she was not from Ohio. Speed seems to only be extremely dominating in 10u, by 14u the pitcher is again moved back to 43 feet, the same distance as college pitchers, so unless they are playing very inexperienced players, they won't be able to dominate with speed.

I also stand corrected! During a recent 12u game, I witnessed a pitcher, slide her push foot forward from the mound, maybe 12 inches (I noticed from left field), then start her push from there. Everyone at the field knew it, but it was her team's 4th game of the day, and my daughter's team ended up winning 11-1 after 75 minutes. The umps did not call her on her illegal pitching style! But, I was thankful the umps allowed her to continue pitching, because if she was taken out there wouldn't have been much of a game. I'm sure I would have felt different if my daughter's team lost that game. I do feel bad for that pitcher, who had probably been allowed to pitch illegally until she was 12u, because I know that will be a hard habit for her to fix. She was getting no notable advantage, using her style, "getting no advantage" is not an excuse for being illegal.
Absolutely agree. The older girls get the hitters will catch up both due to growth as a player and the distance from the rubber to home plate increasing. Very few pitchers throw hard enough to just blow fastball after fastball by hitters. (When you get past rec leagues) My daughter turned 11 in June and 2017 will be her first year in 12U ball. I've never had a radar put on her so I don't know exactly how hard she throws in mph. In her 10U season last year I would say there's maybe 2-3 girls that threw much if any harder than she did in the 30 something games they played last year. That being said pitch placement and movement is soooo important.

She gets lax in her release and will inadvertently put spin on the ball and gets a lot of movement which isn't bad because it makes it harder on the hitters, but she would struggle to throw strikes at times due to the movement and that would put her in some bad positions. On the other hand when she was able to stay in the zone she could dominate teams for the most part. I've taken her to a coach at a D1 softball program who specializes in pitching. She's doing some things with her to help her control the spins she's putting on the ball.

She said you can have a 60mph fastball, a rise ball, a drop ball, a curve ball, but if you don't throw a change you will NOT get recruited to play division 1 college softball. You have to have a fastball accompanied by change-up. We are working with her right now to get the right spin on the fastball every time so that she can gain full control of the pitch and begin to place it. (More than up or down in the zone) Then we'll move on to the change up and then other pitches. She's increased the velocity on her fastball just by getting the proper spin. As someone who pitched a little in hs I could help her out with the mental side, but I'd gotten to the point where I couldn't help her with her mechanics. Anyway sorry to ramble, but the point was velocity is only part of being a successful pitcher.
Old 12-14-16, 05:59 PM
All Ohio

HSFB Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Absolutely agree. The older girls get the hitters will catch up both due to growth as a player and the distance from the rubber to home plate increasing. Very few pitchers throw hard enough to just blow fastball after fastball by hitters. (When you get past rec leagues) My daughter turned 11 in June and 2017 will be her first year in 12U ball. I've never had a radar put on her so I don't know exactly how hard she throws in mph. In her 10U season last year I would say there's maybe 2-3 girls that threw much if any harder than she did in the 30 something games they played last year. That being said pitch placement and movement is soooo important.

She gets lax in her release and will inadvertently put spin on the ball and gets a lot of movement which isn't bad because it makes it harder on the hitters, but she would struggle to throw strikes at times due to the movement and that would put her in some bad positions. On the other hand when she was able to stay in the zone she could dominate teams for the most part. I've taken her to a coach at a D1 softball program who specializes in pitching. She's doing some things with her to help her control the spins she's putting on the ball.

She said you can have a 60mph fastball, a rise ball, a drop ball, a curve ball, but if you don't throw a change you will NOT get recruited to play division 1 college softball. You have to have a fastball accompanied by change-up. We are working with her right now to get the right spin on the fastball every time so that she can gain full control of the pitch and begin to place it. (More than up or down in the zone) Then we'll move on to the change up and then other pitches. She's increased the velocity on her fastball just by getting the proper spin. As someone who pitched a little in hs I could help her out with the mental side, but I'd gotten to the point where I couldn't help her with her mechanics. Anyway sorry to ramble, but the point was velocity is only part of being a successful pitcher.
Having been there and done that...Yes and no...If a lady can bring it 65+ she will get noticed regardless if she has a change or not. If a lady struggles hitting 60 they better have the REVS...when talking D1 pitching.

Throw 55-59 with tight spin and great break you get looks everywhere.

Go to NFCA site and check out the averages.
Old 12-18-16, 03:30 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
I’ve never had a radar put on her so I don't know exactly how hard she throws in mph.
You don’t actually need a radar gun to find speed. You can use your phone or iPad. All you need to find speed, is to plug some numbers to this formula:
speed = distance/time X .682 (multiply the product of distance/time by .682 to convert seconds to mph, for speed in mph).
The time in seconds can easily be found from your recording. You need to use the time from her release to the ball crossing the apex of the plate. You can use video tape of her pitching, from one of those slow mo apps, to see release and ball travel over the apex. The tricky part is finding distance. The first time I used this formula, I got very excited because I used 40 feet. But, her actual speed was slower than I first thought. My daughter was actually releasing the ball from about 34 feet, maybe 33.5 feet from the release to the apex of the plate because of her longer stride length. At first, I compared my daughter’s pitch speed to another fast pitcher’s speed based on the 40 foot distance speed, they had comparable speeds. But, really they had a greater difference in speed, than I realized, due to stride length because the other pitcher’s stride was shorter. Also, an inside pitch will be faster than an outside pitch, or at least perceived faster to the batter. The batter needs to hit the inside pitch sooner, by a foot or two, than an outside pitch.

Quote:
She gets lax in her release and will inadvertently put spin on the ball and gets a lot of movement which isn't bad because it makes it harder on the hitters, but she would struggle to throw strikes at times…
I have noticed the more the pitcher is able feel that finger tip spin or not, the more natural they are at spinning the ball. Some are just born to spin it and that inadvertent spin on the ball is very important. My daughter is heading into her 12 year old softball year in 2017, still a sixth grader, and has a fastball, change, drop, curve, backdoor curve (she has thrown all 5 pitches in games, inside and out, for over a year) and has been working on a rise for about 6 months or so. Yes, they need speeds of a minimum of 55 mph, for those pitches to move, or at least to get that “magnus effect” for the rise. But, they also need spin or no matter how fast the pitch is, it’s a consistently hittable flat ball. You also want to work on true spins only, the spins shouldn’t be mixed. Example, when my daughter throws her rise, most of the time it does rise, but it has a screw tail. Unfortunately, it’s very hard to catch and still too inconsistent and wild to throw in games.

Quote:
She said you can have a 60mph fastball, a rise ball, a drop ball, a curve ball, but if you don't throw a change you will NOT get recruited to play division 1 college softball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFB Fan View Post
Having been there and done that...Yes and no...If a lady can bring it 65+ she will get noticed regardless if she has a change or not. If a lady struggles hitting 60 they better have the REVS...when talking D1 pitching.Throw 55-59 with tight spin and great break you get looks everywhere.
I could care less about D1 or college softball, I’m sitting here in 12u and loving it, or better yet, realize ignorance is bliss. My goal for my daughter is to have her play softball when she is a ninth grader, in three years. If she likes it, hopefully she will continue to play. My older sister played D1 softball (received a 4-year full ride) and it was a happy surprise, it really couldn't be planned. My parents never made a big stink about it, we didn't realize how unique it was until very recently.

I’ve done all this research and reading over the years and yesterday was one of my daughter’s best softball games ever. It was her last softball game of 2016, her 38th softball game since the start of September, less than four short months ago. A parent from the opposing team came up to me and asked, “Is that your daughter? Wow, she has a great attitude!” I was shocked and pleasantly surprised. At that point in the game, after the second inning, my daughter had gotten 6 consecutive outs, out of 6 batters; she pitched 5 K’s and she scooped one up and tossed it to the first baseman for an out. Offensively, she had a hit, after the first and second batter K’ed. While her physical performance on the field was good, I consider it one of her best games, because hearing the opposing parent say she has a great attitude was the best compliment she had ever received in her softball life. I feel anyone can throw/spin a ball, it’s not a reflection of who my daughter is or what I am doing right as a parent. I honestly think it’s sometimes just plain god-given talent. But, my kid has a “great attitude” on that playing field and not every player has one of those. It’s a reflection of her good choices and of her strong character; both of which will be life lasting. As a parent, that’s more important to me than how well she can toss a ball in a game.
Old 12-20-16, 09:21 AM
Junior Varsity

Thanks for sharing everyone! I'm just living in the moment as well. Please don't get the wrong impression, I'm not scholarship chasing. Right now i just want her focusing on maximizing her potential and having fun. We've just been talking about goals this off-season and playing D1 softball was a big goal/dream of hers. For this reason I've started doing homework because I want her to miss the boat if that's a real possibility. Your point about not being able to "plan" it is well taken. I'm sure there are just a lot of being in the right place at the right time involved.

I pitched in HS, but I'm still learning the mechanics of fastpitch pitching, my focus with her has always been the mental side of the game of pitching. How she reacts to what batters do, how she reacts to the umpire when calls go her way or don't go her way, etc. I'm very proud of her temperament on the mound. We've heard the same kind of compliments of how she handles pressure and adversity. Though we've talked about goals, I've always stressed work hard, do your best, be a great teammate, and just have fun. Softball like any other sport at the end of the day is just a game and if she doesn't enjoy it, then we should find something else to do with our time. (obviously this is in general, there are always going to be disappointments in life)

I've done the calculation thing before as well. I just didn't know how accurate trying to hand time it really was. I had her right around 50mph, which was kind of an average, because I came up with between 48-52 doing it several times. Obviously I want her to maximize her velocity, but I'm not really worried about exact mph right now. She throws hard now but right now we are focused on controlling her spin. Sometimes she gets lazy with her release and puts inaverdtant spin on her fastball, which isn't all bad but we want her to be able to control the spin so it works for her rather than working against her at times. The biggest thing I harp on with her is keeping the ball low in the zone. Even though her fastball is ahead of most batters at this point, I've tried to ingrain in her that there's going to come a time when she can't blow fastballs by girls and that waist high fastballs are generally not going to end up well. I realize in general it's important to move your pitches around and change the batters eye level of pitches etc, but I want her to be in the habit of keeping her pitches down in the zone.

As a parent I try to to stay out of the coaches way. If they want my opinion with regards to my daughter I'll give it to them, but I won't allow myself to become a helicopter parent. I want her to learn that hard work is how she'll improve her lot in life, not by daddy sweeping in and trying to save the day. Honestly I don't care if she plays college ball or not, I just want her to maximize her abilities and experience all the joys the game has to offer.
Great conversation let's keep it going!

Last edited by NewJacketCity; 12-20-16 at 09:38 AM..
Old 12-20-16, 08:59 PM
Junior Varsity

Wow! The 48-52 mph is very impressive! She is doing very well! You could also just use 40 feet as a standard distance and every month video her to see if her mph's are increasing. So it wouldn't have to be actual speed.

I stay out of the coach's way as well. I usually don't think it's a good idea to be around my daughter while she is playing with her team, it's her time. But, I will get the occasional water or gatorade for her, of course. I think pitcher's parents who demand to be in the dugout are doing their child a disservice. I just think, either she sinks or swims. I can't hold her hand forever. Thankfully she was able to handle the independence. I love to sit in left field or right field and watch her entire team.

Softball is about the journey, not the destination! Enjoy your daughter's journey!
Old 01-11-17, 01:53 PM
Junior Varsity

Justice, the head coach did ask if I'd help with the pitchers in practice. So in practice I would work with her as well as the others. When it came to games though, I pretty much stayed out of her and the other's way. I liked sitting behind the plate so I could see pitch placement and mechanics better, but I pretty rarely said anything to her or the others until after the game. I just don't think it's beneficial at their age to start talking pitching mechanics during the middle of the game and have them start overthinking rather than just pitching. Most of the time it's just getting them to relax and be confident. They've learned enough by this point know how to respond and correct their release point if the ball is going low or high, or correct their stride/follow through if their missing from side to side. More than anything I just want them to remember to remember it's a game and to have fun.

Our team is getting an early start this spring with a tourney in the first weekend in May. My daughter's volleyball team will be going on at the same time as softball until their first tourney. While it's going to make things a little hectic at times I'm kind of glad. #1 I think it's good to play multiple sports. I think it's good to cross train and just not being thinking about 1 sport all year round in general. As the summer approaches the focus will slowly turn fully to softball and that's okay. Her travel team's season is 4 months and last year she played fall ball which is another 2 months. 6 months a year is plenty of softball/pitching. In the off-season she'll pitch 1-2 times a week to work on improving the pitches she has as well as adding pitches, also to keep up her arm strength.
Old 01-12-17, 03:27 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
I just don't think it's beneficial at their age to start talking pitching mechanics during the middle of the game and have them start overthinking rather than just pitching. Most of the time it's just getting them to relax and be confident.
I generally don't judge the way other parents, parent. That goes double during sports! All kids have different personalities, levels of what they can handle, and different relationships with their parents/families. All is fair in love and war, words I live by, especially when I see other parents interacting with their children on and off the field. Unless, God forbid, a parent is spanking their child in the dug out or something like that.
Quote:
...I think it's good to play multiple sports. I think it's good to cross train and just not being thinking about 1 sport all year round in general...
What is best for youth athletes; multi-sports or specializing in one?

Well, what’s the purpose of youth sports?

I can draw from my own athletic experience to answer. I’m aggressive and competitive by nature, so playing multi-sports was naturally a good fit for my personality. I loved it. I was in the category of the more sports the better, there was no such thing as too many sports. Plus, an added benefit, there is always a chance I could win. Which was a huge benefit, because there was never enough competition, I enjoyed racing my teammates to the water fountain.

Having played sports for so many years, I can throw a ball, pretty well. Well, better than pretty well, probably better than almost any other adult I have ever seen throw a ball…I’m just putting it out there, I don’t mean to brag, but I’m pretty good. To this day, I try not to watch other adults throw a ball, because it’s cringe-worthy for me…ugh, their mechanics.

Over the past 20 years, I have realized the darnedest thing, as good as I am, not one person has ever asked me to throw a ball! (It’s really a shame.) But, they have asked me to: work hard, stay dedicated, dig deep, be a leader, be a good follower, be a team player, find the good, stay humble, earn and give respect, fight hard, play fair, appreciate different talents in teammates, be a graceful loser and winner, never give up, don’t pack up the bat bag until the game is over and to apply many other lessons, I learned, while I was busy tossing a ball in youth sports! So, youth sports was my vehicle for learning important life lessons. It really had nothing to do with throwing a ball, darn it, lol!

Find a child their vehicle and you will help them obtain valuable life lessons. So, I like to see kids play multiple sports or one sport or none. It really makes no difference. Some kids can’t get enough sports, some love scouts, drama, reading, making music, etc. The more life lessons a child has learned, the more tools they possess for life long success! I just think it’s silly to debate what amount of sports, proportion of sports, or what is the best ratio of sports per child, etc. Get the kids off the couch, give them attention, your time and they will learn valuable skills that will help them become successful adults! That’s what youth sports is all about!

Good luck this season, keep sawing wood, and keep us posted!

Last edited by justicerunner; 01-12-17 at 03:42 PM..
Old 01-25-17, 09:05 AM
Junior Varsity

Justice,

Yeah, I guess i wasn't talking as much to you as much as some parents out there who push their kids to the limit out of their own self interests. That could go for sports/music/chess whatever. I just think there's too many parents out there who get caught up too much in individual successes, wins and losses, rather than the development of the kids as athletes AND as people.

I'll be sure to keep you posted!
Old 02-03-17, 09:23 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Yeah, I guess i wasn't talking as much to you as much as some parents out there who push their kids to the limit...
Well, I didn't take it like that, until you brought it up, lol!

Actually, I've been talking to my son about his increased interest in winning. I never thought I would have a boy like that!