Old 06-11-19, 12:35 PM
All Ohio

LEONARD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post
Camps are about size, speed and agility. D1 schools have specific measurements they are looking for and if you don't meet them you are off the list. By your sophomore year you should know what these measurements are, do your best to meet them and if unable then reassess the schools you may be interested in. A linebacker who can't get under 5.0 should not worry about D1 schools.

Kids should also decide how important money is versus a top tier academic school. I believe DII schools give out some scholarship money, yet it is the DIII schools that are generally the top tier academic schools (UChicago, Case, Middlebury, Carnegie Mellon).

I think preparation for camps and recruiting is as much about an honest assessment of what level a kid can play, and why they want to play. I believe one of the Moeller seniors passed on some larger schools to play at U of Chicago which is a top 5 school in the country. In my book that is better than a walk on spot at a bigger school, or partial scholly at a DII
This is generally correct. You can get a full ride to a d2, all football money if they really want you. (not all d2 programs will do that and these full rides are usually reserved for d1 transfers on non d1 academic qualifiers)

As far as the high end academic d3 schools, football can be a way to get into school or possibly avoid the 50-60k, annual cost of attendance to a cost comparable to a "state" school.

Those are great schools that you mentioned GCLfan, but it should be noted that there are plenty of other d3's, very strong academically, liberal arts institutions in Ohio. (Kenyon, Denison, Ohio Wesleyan, College of Wooster, Oberlin, Wittenburg) just to name a few
Old 06-11-19, 05:35 PM
Varsity

Mercurymorris22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEONARD View Post
This is generally correct. You can get a full ride to a d2, all football money if they really want you. (not all d2 programs will do that and these full rides are usually reserved for d1 transfers on non d1 academic qualifiers)

As far as the high end academic d3 schools, football can be a way to get into school or possibly avoid the 50-60k, annual cost of attendance to a cost comparable to a "state" school.

Those are great schools that you mentioned GCLfan, but it should be noted that there are plenty of other d3's, very strong academically, liberal arts institutions in Ohio. (Kenyon, Denison, Ohio Wesleyan, College of Wooster, Oberlin, Wittenburg) just to name a few
Agree 100%! Nothing wrong with playing D3 ball and getting a valuable education. Also nothing wrong with trying to prove yourself as a walk on for D1. And nothing wrong with walking away all together...
Old 06-11-19, 09:11 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post
Camps are about size, speed and agility. D1 schools have specific measurements they are looking for and if you don't meet them you are off the list. By your sophomore year you should know what these measurements are, do your best to meet them and if unable then reassess the schools you may be interested in. A linebacker who can't get under 5.0 should not worry about D1 schools.

Kids should also decide how important money is versus a top tier academic school. I believe DII schools give out some scholarship money, yet it is the DIII schools that are generally the top tier academic schools (UChicago, Case, Middlebury, Carnegie Mellon).

I think preparation for camps and recruiting is as much about an honest assessment of what level a kid can play, and why they want to play. I believe one of the Moeller seniors passed on some larger schools to play at U of Chicago which is a top 5 school in the country. In my book that is better than a walk on spot at a bigger school, or partial scholly at a DII
Also helps if you are aiming for D3 to be qualified for financial aid as even with academic scholarships it usually still doesnít cover the bulk of it. Know a few other players who looked at Chicago but wouldnít have been able to afford it- not would have gotten any/enough financial aid so went to less expensive schools. Itís all about aiming right- academics, environment of school, $, team- if any of the 4 donít fit the player it often doesnít work out.
Old 06-20-19, 11:43 AM
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEONARD View Post

GCLFan99 is right about the football camp analysis and D1. They have charts for size, speed etc. and award scholarships largely based on those charts. My son was an all state linemen but he was only 6'2" and not real fast, plus he mentioned early on in high school he wanted to go to a small school.

We have a funny story about D3s. There was one D3 school in Wisconsin that really wanted my son. They flew him up and really put on a show for him. He was an above average student academically but not National Honor Society level. They ended up offering him their highest level academic scholarship. He really did consider it but in the end it was a 9 hour one way drive and he decided he wanted to stay closer to home so he ended up at one of the Ohio D3s you mentioned above. We got a good laugh out of the scholarship offer from the Wisconsin school because it showed that if a D3 wanted you bad enough they would find a way to get you the money even though technically they are not allowed to offer "athletic" scholarships.
Old 06-20-19, 05:25 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeDude View Post
GCLFan99 is right about the football camp analysis and D1. They have charts for size, speed etc. and award scholarships largely based on those charts. My son was an all state linemen but he was only 6'2" and not real fast, plus he mentioned early on in high school he wanted to go to a small school.

We have a funny story about D3s. There was one D3 school in Wisconsin that really wanted my son. They flew him up and really put on a show for him. He was an above average student academically but not National Honor Society level. They ended up offering him their highest level academic scholarship. He really did consider it but in the end it was a 9 hour one way drive and he decided he wanted to stay closer to home so he ended up at one of the Ohio D3s you mentioned above. We got a good laugh out of the scholarship offer from the Wisconsin school because it showed that if a D3 wanted you bad enough they would find a way to get you the money even though technically they are not allowed to offer "athletic" scholarships.

very nice. depends on place to place. sound like it worked out for him and he chose a better place academically. reminds me of my experience with georgetown ky. i was a total block head back in the day. was a non d1 academic qualifier (not saying i was a d1 talent) just giving some context, but they offered me about 90% of cost of attendance. half of that offer was academic money. also was a two year deal (naia is weird) but yea is pretty funny considering i had no business getting any academic $
Old 06-22-19, 07:38 AM
All Ohio

with camp season wrapping up, any news on the recruiting front?
Old 06-22-19, 07:40 AM
Freshman

BLUMKIN is on a distinguished road
beeber got offered by USC the other day and yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-19, 06:15 AM
All American

birdog is on a distinguished road
As camp opens, can someone identify any new additions or subtractions? There seems to be a lot of chatter on transfers in and out. Thanks.
Old 07-15-19, 12:12 PM
All Ohio

bluengoldblinders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdog View Post
As camp opens, can someone identify any new additions or subtractions? There seems to be a lot of chatter on transfers in and out. Thanks.
I see the chatter now too, if true, who then plays QB?

I'm kind of scratching my head on the vast number of transfers out of GCL South schools.
Old 07-15-19, 12:43 PM
All American

birdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengoldblinders View Post
I see the chatter now too, if true, who then plays QB?

I'm kind of scratching my head on the vast number of transfers out of GCL South schools.
I think Kballer might have the inside scoop. What say you Kballer?
Old 07-15-19, 09:16 PM
All American

The Game
I saw in another thread that there was a rumor Verdon went back to West. In Bolden’s interview with Dyer the other day, he did not mention him. He did say the other qb transfer (Caudill) will be competing for their qb job. Anyone know if Verdon is really gone?
Old 07-16-19, 06:15 AM
All American

Rabbit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I saw in another thread that there was a rumor Verdon went back to West. In Boldenís interview with Dyer the other day, he did not mention him. He did say the other qb transfer (Caudill) will be competing for their qb job. Anyone know if Verdon is really gone?
Verdon is still at Moeller and has not transferred