Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 2.73 average. Display Modes
  #571  
Old 05-07-12, 05:21 PM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 13,909
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Nice win by the indians it now proven what we already know this is not a baseball town.
There are a lot of baseball fans in the Cleveland area, but they are content to watch the games on tv until the team gets close to a playoff spot toward the end of the season. The reason people aren't flocking to the games is mostly due to the utter contempt for the Dolans. All of the Dolan-bashing, some of it warranted, has created a bad baseball climate in Cleveland. It's irrational, and it shouldn't take away from what the team is doing on the field...but it does.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #572  
Old 05-07-12, 05:30 PM
brian1227's Avatar
brian1227 brian1227 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-22-06
Posts: 16,454
brian1227 is on a distinguished road
I know they will come around the team has done great and i will go to games, i work 2 shift and i been real sick.I will be going next weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #573  
Old 05-07-12, 10:24 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,975
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
The Indians beat Chicago, 3-2 to earn a sweep of today's doubleheader. I'll summarize for those who didn't watch to the end:

The Sox tied the game in top of the eighth after the rain delay, as a single off Joe Smith scored one of the baserunners that reached off Tomlin just before the stoppage. Smith induced Adam Dunn to tap into a double play to end the threat.

The Tribe scored the go-ahead run in the bottom of the eighth, as Cabrera and Santana singled and Shelley Duncan doubled to left. Cleveland loaded the bases but Hannahan hit into a double play.

Tony Sipp earned the save. Acta risked resting both Pestano and Perez on the same day and got away with it. Sipp retired the first two batters, then walked Paul Konerko. Tyler Flowers followed with a 430-foot rocket that was foul by about five feet. Sipp settled down and K'd Flowers.

The Indians are now 17-11.


This is how I feel about doubleheader sweeps over the White Sox:
Reply With Quote
  #574  
Old 05-07-12, 11:00 PM
Clyde Frog Clyde Frog is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Urban Meyer Country
Posts: 9,101
Clyde Frog is on a distinguished road
I was listening to 92.3 after the game and thought this question was interesting: As of right now, if you had the money to do so, would you place a $100 wager that the Indians will be within three games of first place in the Central Division going into September? The question was brought up since they were discussing the casino opening in Cleveland next Monday.

For me, as happy as I am with this team right now, I would not make that wager. Detroit will turn it around and get on a hot streak, and the Indians will have another losing streak in the coming months. If those two coincide with each other, I'm not certain enough that Cleveland will be within three games come September. If the wager was for five games instead of three I'd probably take it but it's still very early in the season and a lot will happen between now and September 1.
Reply With Quote
  #575  
Old 05-07-12, 11:18 PM
DennisRodman DennisRodman is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 03-01-10
Posts: 25,131
DennisRodman is on a distinguished road
Depends on the odds, GOGE.
Reply With Quote
  #576  
Old 05-07-12, 11:50 PM
Clyde Frog Clyde Frog is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Urban Meyer Country
Posts: 9,101
Clyde Frog is on a distinguished road
They used 2-to-1 odds on the radio, According To Me
Reply With Quote
  #577  
Old 05-08-12, 07:12 AM
BR1986FB's Avatar
BR1986FB BR1986FB is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-01-05
Location: Browns Town !!! Better?
Posts: 20,185
BR1986FB is on a distinguished road
Nice! Tribe up 3 on the Kitties, 5 on the Palehose. Very nice wins!

I'm hoping that this year is the opposite for the Tigers. Verlander and their closer were lights out in 2011. Both have shown that they aren't an automatic "lock", so far, this year. Tribe keeps on winning with maybe a little Motor City misfortune and this could be a fun season.
Reply With Quote
  #578  
Old 05-08-12, 07:52 AM
BR1986FB's Avatar
BR1986FB BR1986FB is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-01-05
Location: Browns Town !!! Better?
Posts: 20,185
BR1986FB is on a distinguished road
Dang...Tribe acquires Kyrie Irving's future low post guy. 7'1" ?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_cle
Reply With Quote
  #579  
Old 05-08-12, 09:09 AM
MentorGrad2002's Avatar
MentorGrad2002 MentorGrad2002 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-09-07
Location: Mentor
Posts: 10,752
MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Last in attendance with a 1st place team at this time. Looked like 200 people were in the stands on Sportscenter yesterday. Pretty embarrassing.
Reply With Quote
  #580  
Old 05-08-12, 09:18 AM
bedevil's Avatar
bedevil bedevil is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-03-03
Location: The First Tee
Posts: 10,549
bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
There are a lot of baseball fans in the Cleveland area, but they are content to watch the games on tv until the team gets close to a playoff spot toward the end of the season. The reason people aren't flocking to the games is mostly due to the utter contempt for the Dolans. All of the Dolan-bashing, some of it warranted, has created a bad baseball climate in Cleveland. It's irrational, and it shouldn't take away from what the team is doing on the field...but it does.
I have to agree. I think another factor is that the Indians teased fans last year with a good start only to fade and I don't think they believe this team has the staying power to make it continue throughout the year.

While I think your point about the Dolans has merit, they are showing signs of keeping the nucleus of this team together, like John Hart did in the early 90's. But until the fans are convinced the Dolans are committed to winning and not jettison their stars for prospects, they're going to stay away.
Reply With Quote
  #581  
Old 05-08-12, 03:39 PM
LICKING COUNTY FAN LICKING COUNTY FAN is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-24-01
Location: Buckeye Lake
Posts: 20,984
LICKING COUNTY FAN is on a distinguished road
Playing very well lately.

It is simple the fans are not going no where near the park thanks to dolan and the front office.
Reply With Quote
  #582  
Old 05-08-12, 08:38 PM
OhioBobcatFan06 OhioBobcatFan06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-06-05
Location: ohio bobcats hoops
Posts: 18,279
OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Alright.
Reply With Quote
  #583  
Old 05-08-12, 09:11 PM
Bennies'01 Bennies'01 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-28-04
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 19,174
Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Bummer.
Reply With Quote
  #584  
Old 05-09-12, 07:15 PM
brian1227's Avatar
brian1227 brian1227 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-22-06
Posts: 16,454
brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Indians freefall has started , here comes 90 losses.
Reply With Quote
  #585  
Old 05-09-12, 10:13 PM
Tree of Knowledge Tree of Knowledge is offline
I'm on probation
 
Join Date: 03-15-05
Location: U.S. Cellular Field
Posts: 12,140
Tree of Knowledge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by newarkcatholicfan View Post
Playing very well lately.

It is simple the fans are not going no where near the park thanks to dolan and the front office.
Maybe the fans are scared off by the fireworks intended to scare off the seagulls. By the look of the crowds in Cleveland compared to the announced attendance, they must be counting the seagulls as fans.

It's worth noting that the Sox are 5-4 vs Cleveland, 3-3 vs Detroit, and have yet to play a single game vs KC or the Twinkies. This is Chicago's division to take.
Reply With Quote
  #586  
Old 05-09-12, 11:01 PM
Bennies'01 Bennies'01 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-28-04
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 19,174
Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree of Knowledge View Post
Maybe the fans are scared off by the fireworks intended to scare off the seagulls. By the look of the crowds in Cleveland compared to the announced attendance, they must be counting the seagulls as fans.

It's worth noting that the Sox are 5-4 vs Cleveland, 3-3 vs Detroit, and have yet to play a single game vs KC or the Twinkies. This is Chicago's division to take.


Right on cue for your first post in half a year!
Reply With Quote
  #587  
Old 05-09-12, 11:25 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 17,458
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree of Knowledge View Post
Maybe the fans are scared off by the fireworks intended to scare off the seagulls. By the look of the crowds in Cleveland compared to the announced attendance, they must be counting the seagulls as fans.

It's worth noting that the Sox are 5-4 vs Cleveland, 3-3 vs Detroit, and have yet to play a single game vs KC or the Twinkies. This is Chicago's division to take.




Got MLB Extra Innings for free thanks to Directv. Will be watching more Indians games again.
Reply With Quote
  #588  
Old 05-10-12, 06:50 AM
MickeyMantle MickeyMantle is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-13-09
Location: Cushy state job
Posts: 16,361
MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree of Knowledge View Post
This is Chicago's division to take.
Reply With Quote
  #589  
Old 05-10-12, 12:01 PM
BR1986FB's Avatar
BR1986FB BR1986FB is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-01-05
Location: Browns Town !!! Better?
Posts: 20,185
BR1986FB is on a distinguished road
Well this should piss some people off...

Last year at the deadline, the front office had infighting over who to trade for, Pence or Ubaldo. The Ubaldo guys obviously got the nod. Again this summer there was more infighting with the debate being re-signing Grady and getting a cheaper corner position or getting Cuddyer. Grady and the other group won out again.

This was from Bob DiBiasio...
Reply With Quote
  #590  
Old 05-10-12, 01:58 PM
bedevil's Avatar
bedevil bedevil is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-03-03
Location: The First Tee
Posts: 10,549
bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR1986FB View Post
Well this should piss some people off...

Last year at the deadline, the front office had infighting over who to trade for, Pence or Ubaldo. The Ubaldo guys obviously got the nod. Again this summer there was more infighting with the debate being re-signing Grady and getting a cheaper corner position or getting Cuddyer. Grady and the other group won out again.

This was from Bob DiBiasio...
This doesn't pass the sniff test. It makes no sense for DiBiasio to reveal such in-fighting. However, it's pretty creative spin because it does introduce the notion, at least, that the Indians tried to get that right-handed bat they so desperately needed and failed to get. Think about it. All you heard was how the Indians needed a righthanded bat and they go after Jimenez and not Pence? They argued over a crippled Sizemore and left-hand hitting Casey Kotchman when Cuddyer was out there? Bull. Why set up the finger-pointing such a revelation could create?

It all comes down to the money...again. And the Dolans...again. Jimenez is under contract with club options in '13 and '14 that TOTAL $10 million. Sizemore has an incentive-laden contract that is nowhere near what they would have had to pay Pence, who was arbitration eligible and ultimately signed a one-year, $10.4 deal in April, or Cuddyer, a free agent who signed for 3 years and $31 million with Colorado. Trading for Jimenez and re-signing Sizemore when those two guys were out there... honestly, from a baseball standpoint, does any of that really make sense?
Reply With Quote
  #591  
Old 05-10-12, 03:06 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,975
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
This doesn't pass the sniff test. It makes no sense for DiBiasio to reveal such in-fighting. However, it's pretty creative spin because it does introduce the notion, at least, that the Indians tried to get that right-handed bat they so desperately needed and failed to get. Think about it. All you heard was how the Indians needed a righthanded bat and they go after Jimenez and not Pence? They argued over a crippled Sizemore and left-hand hitting Casey Kotchman when Cuddyer was out there? Bull. Why set up the finger-pointing such a revelation could create?

It all comes down to the money...again. And the Dolans...again. Jimenez is under contract with club options in '13 and '14 that TOTAL $10 million. Sizemore has an incentive-laden contract that is nowhere near what they would have had to pay Pence, who was arbitration eligible and ultimately signed a one-year, $10.4 deal in April, or Cuddyer, a free agent who signed for 3 years and $31 million with Colorado. Trading for Jimenez and re-signing Sizemore when those two guys were out there... honestly, from a baseball standpoint, does any of that really make sense?
All this information makes my head hurt.
Reply With Quote
  #592  
Old 05-10-12, 04:32 PM
bedevil's Avatar
bedevil bedevil is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-03-03
Location: The First Tee
Posts: 10,549
bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
All this information makes my head hurt.


OK, how's this: It was cheaper for them to get Jimenez, Sizemore and Kotchman than it was to go after Cuddyer and/or Pence.
Reply With Quote
  #593  
Old 05-10-12, 06:16 PM
brian1227's Avatar
brian1227 brian1227 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-22-06
Posts: 16,454
brian1227 is on a distinguished road
The indians are finished will lose like 14 of 16 games.
Reply With Quote
  #594  
Old 05-10-12, 06:49 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 17,458
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Whipping up on the Sox
Reply With Quote
  #595  
Old 05-10-12, 07:01 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 17,458
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Beckett getting booed as he leaves the field

7-1 in the 3rd
Reply With Quote
  #596  
Old 05-10-12, 07:23 PM
Tree of Knowledge Tree of Knowledge is offline
I'm on probation
 
Join Date: 03-15-05
Location: U.S. Cellular Field
Posts: 12,140
Tree of Knowledge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post


Right on cue for your first post in half a year!
Care to address anything I said in my post? You don't seriously think Cleveland is winning this division, do you?
Reply With Quote
  #597  
Old 05-10-12, 08:14 PM
cpc5304's Avatar
cpc5304 cpc5304 is offline
5/23 Survivor
 
Join Date: 10-05-04
Location: Conotton Valley
Posts: 9,191
cpc5304 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cpc5304
I'm sorry, we can't hear you from all the way down there in the standings.
Reply With Quote
  #598  
Old 05-10-12, 08:25 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,975
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post


OK, how's this: It was cheaper for them to get Jimenez, Sizemore and Kotchman than it was to go after Cuddyer and/or Pence.

Well, no kidding. I was just joking around. I really didn't need an explanation.
Reply With Quote
  #599  
Old 05-10-12, 10:11 PM
Tree of Knowledge Tree of Knowledge is offline
I'm on probation
 
Join Date: 03-15-05
Location: U.S. Cellular Field
Posts: 12,140
Tree of Knowledge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc5304 View Post
I'm sorry, we can't hear you from all the way down there in the standings.
And I can't see you through your stadium's flock of seagulls and swarms of midges.
Reply With Quote
  #600  
Old 05-10-12, 10:24 PM
Metacomet's Avatar
Metacomet Metacomet is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-10-04
Location: kent
Posts: 7,975
Metacomet is on a distinguished road
The Tribe beats the Boo-Sox, 8-3. Another nice outing by Lowe, who scattered lots of hits but again yielded few runs. Clutch hitting by Hannahan, Brantley, Kipnis and Cabrera. I'd still like to see more guys contribute to the offensive output.

However, Choo and Kotchman are starting to look more comfortable at the plate. Both guys are showing signs of coming around.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz