Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-17-18, 11:03 AM
All American

FootballQueen
Week 5: Austintown Fitch (3-1) vs. Youngstown East (3-1)

Will the Falcons bounce back this week against East? Or will Falcon fans be in for another disappoint? East is offering more computer points than usual should the Falcons get the victory. Thoughts on this one Gents!

GO Falcons!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-18, 11:53 AM
Varsity

bigbabycavalier is on a distinguished road
Hopefully the Falcons get the win, but those computers points may not be the same after tomorrow if the OHSAA moves East to D5
Old 09-17-18, 12:00 PM
All World

wghfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabycavalier View Post
Hopefully the Falcons get the win, but those computers points may not be the same after tomorrow if the OHSAA moves East to D5
What a mess that is. That is wrong to do right now
Old 09-17-18, 12:11 PM
All Ohio

YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post
I agree this should have been done before the season started or wait until next season but IMO it's not quite as big a deal as it's being made out to be. It only changes the first level points for defeating East from 6.0 to 4.5. It does not change anything else. Any team that defeats East will get 1.5 less L1 points than they would have without the change, if the change indeed happens. Granted that could possibly be the difference between qualifying for the playoffs or not but it's only .15 less points on the L1 average.

Good luck to both teams.
Old 09-17-18, 12:13 PM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
True enough!
Old 09-17-18, 12:14 PM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post
Exactly. I totally agree.
Old 09-17-18, 12:50 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YTOWN View Post
I agree this should have been done before the season started or wait until next season but IMO it's not quite as big a deal as it's being made out to be. It only changes the first level points for defeating East from 6.0 to 4.5. It does not change anything else. Any team that defeats East will get 1.5 less L1 points than they would have without the change, if the change indeed happens. Granted that could possibly be the difference between qualifying for the playoffs or not but it's only .15 less points on the L1 average.

Good luck to both teams.
Down the road, it does hurt a bit on the 2nd level as well. You're right that it doesn't affect a thing for games that East wins, but don't forget about the games that East loses. If Fitch, Boardman, etc. beat other teams that go on to beat East, they're only getting 4.5 L2 points instead of 6.0 points when those teams beat East. Repeat that process a few times, and it could be worth a place or 2 in the computer rankings. It could also be much ado about nothing, but we won't know for sure until the regular season ends.

Of course, these teams all have to beat East first before that becomes an issue.
Old 09-17-18, 02:38 PM
All Ohio

YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Down the road, it does hurt a bit on the 2nd level as well. You're right that it doesn't affect a thing for games that East wins, but don't forget about the games that East loses. If Fitch, Boardman, etc. beat other teams that go on to beat East, they're only getting 4.5 L2 points instead of 6.0 points when those teams beat East. Repeat that process a few times, and it could be worth a place or 2 in the computer rankings. It could also be much ado about nothing, but we won't know for sure until the regular season ends.

Of course, these teams all have to beat East first before that becomes an issue.
You are correct of course. It certainly can also affect those teams that defeat teams that have defeated East but even then its not like it amounts to several points on the average like it is being made out to be, it will still be fractional on the average.

Take Mooney for instance. The Cardinals play four teams that also play East. Ursuline lost to East so take them off the list. Boardman, Fitch and Harding play East and Mooney. Boardman has already defeated East and for argument's sake let's say Fitch and Harding also defeat the Golden Bears. Now let's say that Mooney beats all of them. I'm not predicting that BTW. If that does happen the net result would be 4.5 less L2 points for Mooney, which is .45 points on the L2 average assuming an L2 divisor of 100.

As I said in my initial post that certainly may be the difference between qualifying for the playoffs or not, a home game or not, etc., but it is still less than half a point total in the average in this instance.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened, if it does happen that is. In any case it should not have happened this time.

PS:

As to the game itself, which is the topic, I personally have not seen either in person yet. I just really don't know how good either team is right now. I was shocked at the Harding-Fitch score, not that Harding won but the margin. As far as East goes the three teams they have beaten have one victory between them. If I had to bet it I would take Fitch.

Once again good luck to both teams.

Last edited by YTOWN; 09-17-18 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-17-18, 07:07 PM
All Ohio

ICBM is on a distinguished road
If they are actually a D-5 school, it’s not their fault that the state messed things up. The RIGHT thing to do is what’s right for those kids at East to give them the best opportunity to make it to week eleven. Not what’s best for everyone else’s points. Having said that, they may only win two more games this season which probably won’t get them in the playoffs in either division as they are only at 8th position points for either region now.
Old 09-17-18, 07:45 PM
Varsity

therock02 is on a distinguished road
Kind of feels like Fitchís season is on the line...so I would expect for them to play with their backs against the wall and pull it out. However, they looked awfully soft against wgh and I canít imagine east is soft so this could be close. Fitch ever lose to a D5 team?!?!
Old 09-17-18, 07:50 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Ursuline, back in Coach A's first year in Austintown.
Old 09-17-18, 07:52 PM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by therock02 View Post
Kind of feels like Fitchís season is on the line...so I would expect for them to play with their backs against the wall and pull it out. However, they looked awfully soft against wgh and I canít imagine east is soft so this could be close. Fitch ever lose to a D5 team?!?!
I had to recheck Joe eitel for that one
2007. Week 3. Ursuline 21 Fitch 14. That was Fitch 1-9 season
All Ohio

Gardens beat me to it!
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM View Post
If they are actually a D-5 school, itís not their fault that the state messed things up. The RIGHT thing to do is whatís right for those kids at East to give them the best opportunity to make it to week eleven. Not whatís best for everyone elseís points. Having said that, they may only win two more games this season which probably wonít get them in the playoffs in either division as they are only at 8th position points for either region now.
I agree 100 percent with this
Old 09-17-18, 08:42 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Hopefully the Falcons don't underestimate East. They actually have some serious talent but play a tad undisciplined. I could this one being close, especially with rain in the forecast Friday. Good luck to both teams.
Old 09-17-18, 09:32 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
If they are actually a D-5 school, itís not their fault that the state messed things up. The RIGHT thing to do is whatís right for those kids at East to give them the best opportunity to make it to week eleven. Not whatís best for everyone elseís points. Having said that, they may only win two more games this season which probably wonít get them in the playoffs in either division as they are only at 8th position points for either region now.
In all honesty, OHSAA messed this one up from the word go. Their adherence to 'rules' rather than 'common sense' made this problem.

East and Chaney had a 'co-op' for sports where they were treated as one school on two campuses.

Because Chaney is in the process of restarting their own sports (while East and Chaney are reset as two regular schools representing the east and west sides of Youngstown), meant that Chaney wanted to start JV football this season to prepare for next year.

This meant that some Chaney athletes were going to play on East's varsity team this season. Making East, as usual, a D2 school.

However, the OHSAA threw a fit that since Chaney had JV football, their students couldn't play for East varsity. So, Youngstown quickly enrolled the athletes in question at East so they were eligible to play at East for varsity football. Now, even that move is questionable and it's not sure if OHSAA is going to let that go or not. Right now, they're mum on it.

However, because East and Chaney are now seen as two separate schools by OHSAA, they have to count East's true enrollment and not the combined enrollment of East and Chaney.

Rather than just saying "Yeah, well, next year they'll be separate as nobody really cares about JV this year" and just keeping East/Chaney as a D2 school in 2018, OHSAA now makes them be a D4 or D5 school with basically the exact same D2 roster they still would have had.

Essentially nothing else changed about the East Golden Bears.

Now, someone at OHSAA could've looked at this and found a way to make it work. But since OHSAA doesn't allow play-ups, and they're a stickler to their own arbitrary rules, no matter how absurd, we get this situation.
Old 09-17-18, 10:04 PM
All American

falguin is on a distinguished road
Whatever happens with the OHSAA is out of our control. What we need to do is not come out flat and let East get up on us. It seems like that is what happened against Harding. We need this game. East will win around five games, so there are points to get by beating them. This game is a little scary.
Old 09-18-18, 05:17 AM
Varsity

NEohioFB is on a distinguished road
I think East hangs around for the first half but Fitch ultimately wins 28-13. And everything going on with East moving divisions mid-season, thatís just crazy to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-18, 07:48 AM
All Ohio

East hasn’t beaten a decent team yet. And they haven’t overpowered the weak teams they have played. They have enough talent to be a threat but I think this game, barring a total breakdown like last week, will be one of those kind of boring, vanilla offensive games where you don’t see Fitch overpowering things but you look at the scoreboard at the end of the third quarter and the Falcons are up 28-7. No big plays. Just solid football.
As far as the points that may be lost by East dropping, I don’t think Fitch expected to many L-2 points anyway.
Old 09-18-18, 08:59 AM
All American

FootballQueen
Quote:
East hasnít beaten a decent team yet. And they havenít overpowered the weak teams they have played. They have enough talent to be a threat but I think this game, barring a total breakdown like last week, will be one of those kind of boring, vanilla offensive games where you donít see Fitch overpowering things but you look at the scoreboard at the end of the third quarter and the Falcons are up 28-7. No big plays. Just solid football.
As far as the points that may be lost by East dropping, I donít think Fitch expected to many L-2 points anyway.
Exactly. No disrespect to the Golden Bears, and anything can happen with high school boys on any given Friday night. But IMO the only game East may win the rest of the season would "possibly " be Howland. So probably 4-6 or 3-7. Now of course because I said that, watch for things to turn out differently......lol. In any case....

GO Falcons!
Old 09-18-18, 11:49 AM
All Region

Devilone is on a distinguished road
Would East jump into DV region 17? Do their Harbin change because it’s now a D5 school with wins over larger schools? Also if they do get a couple more wins and move to DV region 17 can anyone but Labrae actually compete with those athletes?
Old 09-18-18, 11:58 AM
All Ohio

I just clicked on ohsaa.org. they have east as D 3
Old 09-18-18, 12:02 PM
All Ohio

Points won’t change at all. And i think quite a few teams would compete with them. Manchester, Orvill and Beechwood are regular playoff teams. I believe Manchester beat Mooney a few years back. But it’s unlikely East will get the opportunity.
Old 09-18-18, 12:09 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nupanther View Post
I just clicked on ohsaa.org. they have east as D 3
I see an Akron East in D3, region 9. No Yo. East. Updated 9/12/18. Maybe you found an updated site I missed.
Old 09-18-18, 12:17 PM
All Ohio

I looked under the far right side of the home page of ohsaa. I believe its school directory. You can go to any school and look at the total boys and girls count. Also gives coaches, division in regards to sports, etc. They also have Chaney football as D 3
As to East, they are 8th in region 5. They would go to 18th in region 9
Old 09-18-18, 12:19 PM
Varsity

bigbabycavalier is on a distinguished road
From Dana Balash @21WFMJSports The OHSAA is till working on the East enrollment numbers. It's a very complex situation. East will be shown as a D2 school when computer rankings are released, but that could change in future weeks.
Old 09-18-18, 12:23 PM
All Region

Devilone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nupanther View Post
I looked under the far right side of the home page of ohsaa. I believe its school directory. You can go to any school and look at the total boys and girls count. Also gives coaches, division in regards to sports, etc. They also have Chaney football as D 3
As to East, they are 8th in region 5. They would go to 18th in region 9
East is D2 region 5 right now sitting n the 8th spot.
Old 09-18-18, 02:36 PM
All Region

mother_goose is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Points wonít change at all. And i think quite a few teams would compete with them. Manchester, Orvill and Beechwood are regular playoff teams. I believe Manchester beat Mooney a few years back. But itís unlikely East will get the opportunity.
ICBM: To my recollection, Mooney has never lost to Manchester. I believe you mean Ursuline in the D5 2013 playoffs.
Old 09-18-18, 03:20 PM
All Ohio

I stand corrected. Thx.
Old 09-18-18, 03:26 PM
All World

wghfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
From Dana Balash @21WFMJSports The OHSAA is till working on the East enrollment numbers. It's a very complex situation. East will be shown as a D2 school when computer rankings are released, but that could change in future weeks.
OSHAA is still working on East enrollment numbers? LMFAO. There should be no numbers to work on, because Chaney does not have varsity football yet.