Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-17-18, 03:52 PM
All Yappi

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedthatkills View Post
You must have been drunk from the parking lot tailgates. Ross moved the ball all game. Ross literally had over 300 yards rushing. If Ross would have not shot themselves in the foot with turnovers and penalties they would have piled up even more yardage. 4 guys over 50 yards rushing including the FB over 100. Tack on 100 passing yards as well. That is 400 yds of offense(not including penalty yards) in a game with a running clock most of the 4th. You do not get that kind of yardage if you "struggle big time" after the first 2 drives.

And save the whining about hard to replace kids when you are a small school. Harrison is the largest school in the league(followed closely by Edgewood). In fact both are about 25% larger than Ross, Talawanda, and MH which is a big number of kids(and resources) to choose from.
Uh, all good points. Ross linemen are huge. Uh actually it is more than 25% more like 33%.Ross soph QB is going to be a player.
Old 09-17-18, 04:13 PM
All Region

EXPRESS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh, I would remind you Harrison has never won this"weak" conference, not even last year when Harrison beat the D2 Indiana state champion. Uh there was no question the 2 Edgewood guards are bad azzes.The question was the other 3 1st time starters and the tight end by committee. Getting better every game.
Let me remind you, Talawanda, LM, MH (past two years) Ross and Northwest, not exactly strong! You'll be able to throw Harrison in the mix by next year as well. Look at records and then look at where the wins come from. If you think this is a strong conference please explain yourself.... If edgewood is the pinnacle of the conference they may want to consider another conference so they can make the post season rather than hanging a conference banner in the gym every year.
Old 09-17-18, 04:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPRESS View Post
Let me remind you, Talawanda, LM, MH (past two years) Ross and Northwest, not exactly strong! You'll be able to throw Harrison in the mix by next year as well. Look at records and then look at where the wins come from. If you think this is a strong conference please explain yourself.... If edgewood is the pinnacle of the conference they may want to consider another conference so they can make the post season rather than hanging a conference banner in the gym every year.
Uh, I say again, Harrison has never won the SWOC title. Uh simple fact, you can diss all the teams in this league, but Harrison has never won it. Uh think their best shot is next year, 13 starters back including QB and 3 of 4 of their receivers.
Old 09-17-18, 06:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Uh actually I would say Harrison will be the league favorite next season.QB and 3 of their top 4 receivers back,Harrison will score a lot of points. Uh don't know about their defense, but they have 13 starters back.
Old 09-18-18, 11:11 AM
Varsity

snowman33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You must have been drunk from the parking lot tailgates. Ross moved the ball all game. Ross literally had over 300 yards rushing. If Ross would have not shot themselves in the foot with turnovers and penalties they would have piled up even more yardage. 4 guys over 50 yards rushing including the FB over 100. Tack on 100 passing yards as well. That is 400 yds of offense(not including penalty yards) in a game with a running clock most of the 4th. You do not get that kind of yardage if you "struggle big time" after the first 2 drives.

And save the whining about hard to replace kids when you are a small school. Harrison is the largest school in the league(followed closely by Edgewood). In fact both are about 25% larger than Ross, Talawanda, and MH which is a big number of kids(and resources) to choose from.
Ross moved the ball pretty well on the ground but had to work extremely hard for it. Let's take a look at a few things:

-Yes, Ross had 284 rushing yards but only averaged 4.4 per carry. About half of those yards did come on the first two drives. Harrison had 212 rushing yards and averaged 12.8 per carry.
-Ross had 43 yards passing, not 100. Harrison had 273 passing yards on just 2 more attempts than Ross.
-Ross had 327 yards on 36 minutes of possession while Harrison had 491 yards in just 12 minutes of possession
-Ross had just 4 penalties for 23 yards....not exactly shooting yourself in the foot
-Likewise, Ross had just two turnovers in 36 minutes of possession....certainly not the deciding factor in the game

Ross moved the ball well on the ground but worked extremely hard for every yard. I give them credit for their gameplan of running the ball and running the clock to keep Harrison's offense off of the field. Let's be honest though, Ross held on for their lives after the first quarter and finally the floodgates opened and you saw the final score. Usually you see a defense get worn out but the Ross offense got worn out. They couldn't make big plays or finish drives and then our offense would get on the field and score in three plays and their O had to go right back to work.

Ross is better than they've been the last few years and I hope they continue to improve because I enjoy the Harrison/Ross games much more when Ross is good.

As for Harrison/Edgewood, our best chance is to win a shootout. We've had issues stopping the run all year and Edgewood has a great running game. We'll need our passing game to be in high gear to win this one but that is entirely possible.
Old 09-18-18, 11:22 AM
Varsity

Also, I disagree that the SWOC is a weak football conference. I think the SWOC is actually a pretty good football conference. We usually get 2 or 3 teams in the postseason out of seven teams which is pretty darn good if you ask me. We're still looking for a team to get over the hump in the postseason but let's be honest, a lot of our postseason struggles have been due to playing LaSalle in the first or second of the playoffs when LaSalle had the best teams in the history of their school. You have to play who you draw in the playoffs but our teams haven't had the best of luck in that draw. Harrison has won playoff games in the SWOC, Mt. Healthy has, and I believe Edgewood has as well.
Old 09-18-18, 11:41 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman33 View Post
Ross moved the ball pretty well on the ground but had to work extremely hard for it. Let's take a look at a few things:

-Yes, Ross had 284 rushing yards but only averaged 4.4 per carry. About half of those yards did come on the first two drives. Harrison had 212 rushing yards and averaged 12.8 per carry.
-Ross had 43 yards passing, not 100. Harrison had 273 passing yards on just 2 more attempts than Ross.
-Ross had 327 yards on 36 minutes of possession while Harrison had 491 yards in just 12 minutes of possession
-Ross had just 4 penalties for 23 yards....not exactly shooting yourself in the foot
-Likewise, Ross had just two turnovers in 36 minutes of possession....certainly not the deciding factor in the game

Ross moved the ball well on the ground but worked extremely hard for every yard. I give them credit for their gameplan of running the ball and running the clock to keep Harrison's offense off of the field. Let's be honest though, Ross held on for their lives after the first quarter and finally the floodgates opened and you saw the final score. Usually you see a defense get worn out but the Ross offense got worn out. They couldn't make big plays or finish drives and then our offense would get on the field and score in three plays and their O had to go right back to work.

Ross is better than they've been the last few years and I hope they continue to improve because I enjoy the Harrison/Ross games much more when Ross is good.

As for Harrison/Edgewood, our best chance is to win a shootout. We've had issues stopping the run all year and Edgewood has a great running game. We'll need our passing game to be in high gear to win this one but that is entirely possible.

Well said. If your'e and option team you should dominate the clock and edge the other team in rushing yards. Not only did half of those yards come from the first qtr I'd say another 80 came with Harrison's 2s on the field in the fourth qtr. Do the math, once Harrison had the option figured out in the second qtr, Ross struggled. Harrison doesnt have the size but they have very athletic players. As for Harrison numbers, we may be the bigger school but varsity and JV numbers are way down this year around 45 players for varsity and JV. Therefore, a couple injuries have definitely hurt the team especially when they've all been lineman. Any D2-3 team that had that many starting lineman going down would be plugging holes with lower level players or two-way players. I think it will be a shootout. Harrison will most likely have a few more of their better athletes going both ways and will be looking for the right kids to step up on defense. Harrison will be the underdog therefore I expect them to get very creative.
Old 09-18-18, 12:05 PM
Varsity

Quote:

Since we're going to bring up enrollment we might as well take a look at the truth:

Little Miami - 489
Edgewood - 481
Harrison - 418
Talawanda - 401
Northwest - 370
Mt Healthy - 365
Ross - 336

Losing a few linemen will devastate any of those schools with those numbers. Based on OHSAA numbers, Harrison not only isn't the biggest school in the conference, we're actually closer in size to the sixth biggest school than we are to Little Miami or Edgewood and basically halfway between Ross and Little Miami in size. Just thought the truth mattered if we were going to bring it up.
Old 09-18-18, 12:36 PM
All Ohio

Pull-to-Trap is on a distinguished road
If size of enrollment mattered that much Mason would dominate the state.
Old 09-18-18, 01:06 PM
Varsity

I never said it mattered. It was brought up earlier that Harrison was the biggest school in the conference and I was simply showing that it isn't close to being true. We do the best we can with what we have but a few key injuries for a school our size really takes its toll. That is true for any team in our conference.
Old 09-18-18, 01:13 PM
All Region

Quote:
Since we're going to bring up enrollment we might as well take a look at the truth:

Little Miami - 489
Edgewood - 481
Harrison - 418
Talawanda - 401
Northwest - 370
Mt Healthy - 365
Ross - 336

Losing a few linemen will devastate any of those schools with those numbers. Based on OHSAA numbers, Harrison not only isn't the biggest school in the conference, we're actually closer in size to the sixth biggest school than we are to Little Miami or Edgewood and basically halfway between Ross and Little Miami in size. Just thought the truth mattered if we were going to bring it up.
Old 09-18-18, 01:59 PM
Varsity

quacker835 is on a distinguished road
Damn facts getting in the way of a good story
Old 09-18-18, 06:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Little Miami - 489
Edgewood - 481
Harrison - 418
Talawanda - 401
Northwest - 370
Mt Healthy - 365
Ross - 336

Uh, in D1 some schools have 400 fewer kids than the big powers.
Old 09-18-18, 07:22 PM
All District

micketty is on a distinguished road
According to the OHSAA website there is a 700+ student differential between the largest D1 school and the smallest. Factoring in the CB it becomes more than 800+. A huge discrepancy.
Old 09-18-18, 07:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by micketty View Post
According to the OHSAA website there is a 700+ student differential between the largest D1 school and the smallest. Factoring in the CB it becomes more than 800+. A huge discrepancy.
Uh yeah really bad for a lot of schools. Have no chance in football. The exception this year is Hoban. Not really a D2 team, but an all-star Akron team who is probably the best team in the state regardless of division.
Old 09-19-18, 11:36 AM
Varsity

Anybody been hearing the possibility of pushing game back to Saturday due to impending storms on Friday??
Old 09-19-18, 02:02 PM
All American

SouthwestOhioGuy17 is on a distinguished road
Edgewood-Harrison

Edgewood-Harrison SWOC showdown has shootout potential

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...NUxxHLrlriloN/
Old 09-20-18, 02:33 PM
Varsity

This game on radio or streaming??
Old 09-20-18, 04:07 PM
All American

Kickoff moved back

Weather forecast pushes Edgewood-Harrison kickoff back

https://www.journal-news.com/sports/...MdRG55ccx2xQO/
Old 09-21-18, 10:23 AM
All Ohio

speedthatkills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well said. If your'e and option team you should dominate the clock and edge the other team in rushing yards. Not only did half of those yards come from the first qtr I'd say another 80 came with Harrison's 2s on the field in the fourth qtr. Do the math, once Harrison had the option figured out in the second qtr, Ross struggled. Harrison doesnt have the size but they have very athletic players. As for Harrison numbers, we may be the bigger school but varsity and JV numbers are way down this year around 45 players for varsity and JV. Therefore, a couple injuries have definitely hurt the team especially when they've all been lineman. Any D2-3 team that had that many starting lineman going down would be plugging holes with lower level players or two-way players. I think it will be a shootout. Harrison will most likely have a few more of their better athletes going both ways and will be looking for the right kids to step up on defense. Harrison will be the underdog therefore I expect them to get very creative.
Go back and look at the film. Ross covered 38 yards against Harrison 2's with their 2s. Harrison also picked up 90 yards against Ross 2s as the Harrison 1s were still on the field for 1 drive when Ross put the 2s in and the Harrison 2s also scored against the 2s. Ross had 119 yards of offense on the first 2 drives. The rest came after. This was on limited possessions due to the grind out offense.

At no time did I say Ross had big plays nor do I think we have the personnel for big plays. All I said was Ross was able to move the ball the whole game which they did. Even with fumbles and lost yards on pitches they still ground out first downs. All of which remains true to what I said. Ross did not finish. The paper said 43 yards in penalties but in reality, the one single big play Ross had was a 50 yard run that had a holding penalty 10 yards down the field. After accepting the penalty, the result was 1 and 10 as it is a spot foul. That play alone was a 40 yard penalty. This is what is commonly referred to as hidden yardage along with the negative plays. Stop relying on Cassanos stats in the paper. You are not getting the whole story.

And you say Ross's offense was getting worn out? This offense is designed to grind out first downs. If you were at the game you saw a noticeable difference in speed so grinding it out is exactly what was supposed to happen and the only choice Ross had. It was apparent that the Harrison D was getting tired. Your own players even admitted to this post game. Likewise Harrison D was able to get stops which Ross was not able to do all night. Once Ross lost their emotional leader(for the season btw) and leading tackler on the D the wheels fell off and the score went from 28-14 halfway through the 3rd to 49-14 2 minutes into the 4th. You say do the math, and I say I did the math. The math shows that a slower team was able to move the ball regularly all night but only finished 2 drives. This slower team had the highest offensive output in 2 years despite 2 turnovers, double digit negative plays and roughly 60 yards of hidden yardage in penalties.

Finally if your numbers are down I would blame that on the program. The fact of the matter is Harrison is the largest school in the league so it is significantly easier for them to plug holes. At least there are kids available for this. If the coach is not getting kids out to play, then that is a coaching problem which does not bode well for the future.
Old 09-21-18, 10:47 AM
All American

Quote:
Go back and look at the film. Ross covered 38 yards against Harrison 2's with their 2s. Harrison also picked up 90 yards against Ross 2s as the Harrison 1s were still on the field for 1 drive when Ross put the 2s in and the Harrison 2s also scored against the 2s. Ross had 119 yards of offense on the first 2 drives. The rest came after. This was on limited possessions due to the grind out offense.

At no time did I say Ross had big plays nor do I think we have the personnel for big plays. All I said was Ross was able to move the ball the whole game which they did. Even with fumbles and lost yards on pitches they still ground out first downs. All of which remains true to what I said. Ross did not finish. The paper said 43 yards in penalties but in reality, the one single big play Ross had was a 50 yard run that had a holding penalty 10 yards down the field. After accepting the penalty, the result was 1 and 10 as it is a spot foul. That play alone was a 40 yard penalty. This is what is commonly referred to as hidden yardage along with the negative plays. Stop relying on Cassanos stats in the paper. You are not getting the whole story.

And you say Ross's offense was getting worn out? This offense is designed to grind out first downs. If you were at the game you saw a noticeable difference in speed so grinding it out is exactly what was supposed to happen and the only choice Ross had. It was apparent that the Harrison D was getting tired. Your own players even admitted to this post game. Likewise Harrison D was able to get stops which Ross was not able to do all night. Once Ross lost their emotional leader(for the season btw) and leading tackler on the D the wheels fell off and the score went from 28-14 halfway through the 3rd to 49-14 2 minutes into the 4th. You say do the math, and I say I did the math. The math shows that a slower team was able to move the ball regularly all night but only finished 2 drives. This slower team had the highest offensive output in 2 years despite 2 turnovers, double digit negative plays and roughly 60 yards of hidden yardage in penalties.

Finally if your numbers are down I would blame that on the program. The fact of the matter is Harrison is the largest school in the league so it is significantly easier for them to plug holes. At least there are kids available for this. If the coach is not getting kids out to play, then that is a coaching problem which does not bode well for the future.
I don't know which paper you're referring to, but my story on the Ross-Harrison game said nothing about 43 yards in penalties. The only mention of a penalty was that Kinnett had a TD pass negated by a penalty. Would you like to dispute that? And the stats I print are correct and triple-checked, no matter what the "official" box or you might say.
Old 09-21-18, 11:11 AM
Junior Varsity

HiC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The fact of the matter is Harrison is the largest school in the league so it is significantly easier for them to plug holes.
Why do you continue to say this? Do you dispute the numbers listed in the thread above?
Old 09-21-18, 11:44 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthwestOhioGuy17 View Post
I don't know which paper you're referring to, but my story on the Ross-Harrison game said nothing about 43 yards in penalties. The only mention of a penalty was that Kinnett had a TD pass negated by a penalty. Would you like to dispute that? And the stats I print are correct and triple-checked, no matter what the "official" box or you might say.
At the end of the day Ross received an absolute thumping. It took two drives for Harrison to make adjustments on D and shut ross down and that was done with two Harrison sophmores filling in at LBs and the absence of one of their best Dlineman. Ross' D was porous and one guy would've not made that big difference. Again the option offense at Ross, being implemented by a few colerain guys, is a bad idea. It doesn't match the team skill set and it takes years to perfect and you need multiple speed guys to run it. They'd be better off with a spread or wing T.
Old 09-21-18, 12:43 PM
All American

marvinlewis08 is on a distinguished road
Harrisons defense is bad, period. Edgewood will run all over them whether this game starts at 830 pm or 600 am on Saturday.

Harrison beat a Ross team that has not shown the ability to get meaningful stops through 4 games of the season. I have seen Edgewood, they are good. Their defense will make the Ross defense look like a pee wee team.

Harrison is going to have trouble tonight UNLESS the Edgewood secondary gets torched on big plays but still then, YOU WILL NOT STOP THE EDGEWOOD OFFENSE.

I honestly can't believe I'm coming to the defense of Ross or Edgewood but facts are facts. Harrison posters aren't typically annoying but the more I read these threads the more I'm convinced some of you life in a world that doesn't exist.
Old 09-21-18, 12:54 PM
Varsity

Quote:

You need to take a look a few posts back where I blow your "Harrison is the largest school in the league" argument to pieces. Also, I think we had a TD called back due to a penalty as well along with having more penalties for more yardage. You see, Ross wasn't the only team to have "hidden yardage" in penalties. I've never seen someone reach so much in order to back up an opinion. The truth is that Ross held on for dear life and then were finally blown out in a very devastating fourth quarter attack by the Wildcats. You lost by 5 TD and it could've been worse. Of course our defense was tired. They were on the field for 36 minutes so I would expect them to be tired. I've complimented Ross in other threads. They're definitely better than they've been the last few years but to pretend that it was really a tight game that got out of control at the very end is just a dream that isn't backed up at all by reality.
Old 09-21-18, 01:02 PM
Varsity

Was at the Ross game. It wasnít close. Harrison was better and had more big plays. And to say Anything other wise is a lie. As far as the game goes tonight as much as it pains me to say it Edgewood handles the cats with little trouble or stress. Iím saying these on not having seen Edgewood play. Iíve seen Harrison and their defense is terrible and unable to make in game adjustments. And their offensive line is the worst Iíve seen in awhile. Sure the offense can score but against weak smaller teams. Hot take. Think Ross has a chance to win tonight against owls
Old 09-21-18, 01:09 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinlewis08 View Post
Harrisons defense is bad, period. Edgewood will run all over them whether this game starts at 830 pm or 600 am on Saturday.

Harrison beat a Ross team that has not shown the ability to get meaningful stops through 4 games of the season. I have seen Edgewood, they are good. Their defense will make the Ross defense look like a pee wee team.

Harrison is going to have trouble tonight UNLESS the Edgewood secondary gets torched on big plays but still then, YOU WILL NOT STOP THE EDGEWOOD OFFENSE.

I honestly can't believe I'm coming to the defense of Ross or Edgewood but facts are facts. Harrison posters aren't typically annoying but the more I read these threads the more I'm convinced some of you life in a world that doesn't exist.
What Harrison poster has said anything that isn't true? Please quote anything that you feel is inaccurate and we can discuss it. Also, I think we've clearly stated that we haven't been able to stop the run all year and that our only way to beat Edgewood is to do what we do best and that is to try to make big plays through the air. I think we've all been very realistic in our assessment of our team. The enrollment numbers shared are accurate. All stats shared have been accurate. We might not be able to stop Edgewood tonight and we might get beat badly. Nobody on here has said we'll beat Edgewood or anything even remotely like that. With an offense like ours, you always have a chance to win. But with a struggling defense, you always have a chance to lose as well! I guess we'll see how it goes tonight but speaking for myself, I've shown plenty of respect for both Edgewood and Ross and I've complimented both of them several times. Not sure what else you want.
Old 09-21-18, 01:20 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinlewis08 View Post

Who said Harrison's defense is good? They stopped a bad Butler and Ross team.... The defense is young and small they have a couple players that make plays but most teams run away from them.
Old 09-21-18, 02:06 PM
Varsity

Heh Cougar fans. What the radio channel that some Edgewood games are on?
Still trying to find a way to listen or watch tonight
Old 09-21-18, 08:20 PM
Varsity

Wildcats up 21-14 with 3 min left in the first half. Go Cata!!