Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-24-18, 01:35 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Walgreens pharmacist denies mother miscarriage medicine because of moral objection

Quote:
Nicole Arteaga wanted nothing more than to be a mother again.

But doctors gave the 35-year-old mother heartbreaking news during her 10-week pregnancy checkup.

The baby's development had stopped. There was no heartbeat. The pregnancy would end with a miscarriage a pain Arteaga has faced before.

Grieving, Arteaga went to her local Walgreens in Peoria on Thursday to pick up medication prescribed by a doctor to manage her health and the miscarriage by terminating the pregnancy.

Instead, Arteaga was turned away, without the medicine she needed.
Read more:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...efs/727805002/
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-18, 01:49 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
jeeze, everyone wants in the lime light. Seriously, why do people make everything about them anymore?

Gay wants a cake, baker makes it all about him.
Sara Sanders wants to eat, owner makes it all about him.
Lady has to terminate a pregnancy, pharmacist make it all about her.
Old 06-24-18, 02:12 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
I'm just mad that the bar skanks that get turned away every day get no press.

Who will fight for the drunken sluts that use this pill as retroactive birth control?!? That's who this pill was made for, dammit!!
Old 06-24-18, 02:14 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
I think the pharmacist has the right to morally object. But as the policy states, needed to call the prescribing physician or transfer the prescription to another pharmacy. I think simply not filling the medication is wrong when she has a legal order from a physician.

Had I been the prescribing physician I would have been pretty PO'ed about this.
Old 06-24-18, 02:18 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Like I said in the other thread, just because you have a legal right to do something doesn't mean you're not an as*hole for doing it. Nor does it mean you're free from consequences from the market or your employer.

So while the pharmacist should face no legal repercussions, I would hope Walgreens chooses to terminate her employment.
Old 06-24-18, 02:48 PM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
Pushing hillbilly heroin ok?

Can people make stands that matter? Like strip clubs giving out $2 bills
Old 06-24-18, 05:10 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
So while the pharmacist should face no legal repercussions,
"Arizona laws specifically allow pharmacies and pharmacists to refuse to fill a prescription for religious or moral reasons."

Quote:
... I would hope Walgreens chooses to terminate her (Sic) employment.
"Walgreens said in a statement Saturday that pharmacists are allowed to step away from filling a prescription anytime they have a moral objection under company policy."
Old 06-24-18, 05:53 PM
All World

I read the article. I have no idea if you're agreeing or disagreeing with my post.
Old 06-24-18, 08:22 PM
All World

I don't get it either. The pharmacy has a responsibility to find another pharmacist to fill the med or transfer to another pharmacy. They can't just plug their ears and stick out their tongue.
Old 06-24-18, 08:55 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
I don't get it either. The pharmacy has a responsibility to find another pharmacist to fill the med or transfer to another pharmacy. They can't just plug their ears and stick out their tongue.
"Arizona laws specifically allow pharmacies and pharmacists to refuse to fill a prescription for religious or moral reasons. The pharmacy isn't required to refer or transfer any refused prescriptions."

" ... the pharmacist sent her prescription to another Walgreens location. She was able to pick up the medication with no issues Saturday."
Old 06-24-18, 08:56 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
The drugs in question are most likely Misoprostol and mifepristone. That combination is commonly used for an abortion, as any pharmacist would know. Just as a physician can refuse to perform an abortion, a pharmacist can refuse to dispense the medication that will result in abortion. As mentioned, the pharmacist is obligated to find another pharmacy/pharmacist who has no objection to dispensing the medication combo. They did transfer it to a nearby willing pharmacy, but it is unclear whether another pharmacist within the pharmacy was ever asked to fill the prescription.

Pharmacists refuse legal prescriptions everyday, particularly opiates, if they feel it will cause harm to the patient...as per their oath.
Old 06-24-18, 09:18 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
So when the dust has settled, this isn't even a story.
Old 06-24-18, 09:59 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
Nope.
Old 06-25-18, 09:56 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
It will be a story when somebody objects to serving the pharmacist, lol. What an idiot.
Old 06-25-18, 10:10 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
It will be a story when somebody objects to serving the pharmacist, lol. What an idiot.
Why is he an idiot for standing up for something he believes in?
Old 06-25-18, 10:53 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
He believes in refusing to serve a Christian woman who is opposed to abortion already heartbroken and following her doctor's orders??? Hey good for him.

Do we really have to honor every asinine personal belief and wild assumptions that people make up in their heads? Smh.
Old 06-25-18, 10:58 AM
All World

Question for anyone who may know.

Would the prescription have any way of noting what it was for? Meaning distinguishing between an abortion and what it was actually being used for? And would the cocktail actually be the same for terminating a pregnancy vs a miscarriage?

It seems like once she was pleading that it was for a miscarriage in front of her other two children in the middle of a WalGreens that the human decency part of you would kick in and fill the prescription, unless you really thought she was trying to pull one over on you because she really wanted to abort this one.
Old 06-25-18, 10:59 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He believes in refusing to serve a Christian woman who is opposed to abortion already heartbroken and following her doctor's orders??? Hey good for him.

Do we really have to honor every asinine personal belief and wild assumptions that people make up in their heads? Smh.
Yea, we kinda do. Your beliefs are just as valid as mine. Even though most of yours are wrong. LOL.
Old 06-25-18, 03:29 PM
All World

Quote:
Question for anyone who may know.

Would the prescription have any way of noting what it was for? Meaning distinguishing between an abortion and what it was actually being used for? And would the cocktail actually be the same for terminating a pregnancy vs a miscarriage?

It seems like once she was pleading that it was for a miscarriage in front of her other two children in the middle of a WalGreens that the human decency part of you would kick in and fill the prescription, unless you really thought she was trying to pull one over on you because she really wanted to abort this one.
Prescriptions are supposed to have a written diagnosis or diagnosis code attached to them. That being said, some codes can be pretty general and may or may not have specified what type of pregnancy was being terminated. Generally it is the same medicinal cocktail.

Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the physician to clearly document why every medicine is being prescribed. The onus should not have been on this woman to explain herself and could have very easily been solved with a conversation between the physician and pharmacist.
Old 06-26-18, 10:56 AM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Of course not, but few beliefs are pinned to life and death decisions.
Old 06-26-18, 11:00 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
Prescriptions are supposed to have a written diagnosis or diagnosis code attached to them. That being said, some codes can be pretty general and may or may not have specified what type of pregnancy was being terminated. Generally it is the same medicinal cocktail.

Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the physician to clearly document why every medicine is being prescribed. The onus should not have been on this woman to explain herself and could have very easily been solved with a conversation between the physician and pharmacist.
Absolutely agree- patient should not have had to explain herself.
Old 06-26-18, 04:41 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Why is he an idiot for standing up for something he believes in?
I think he was being a bit narrow minded or didn't understand the situation. From what the article says, it sounds like fetal demise had already happened. Not fundamentally the same as an elective abortion in my opinion.

That being said, it comes back to what I said before with a conversation between the pharmacist and physician to explain the situation. If he still refuses I think that's his right. But then the physician can just send the prescription elsewhere.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: