Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-24-18, 10:11 PM
All American

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
How biased is your news source

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...art-2018-02-28

Last edited by Happygoluckky; 06-24-18 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-18, 10:15 PM
All World

serpico is on a distinguished road
So biased it gave me a broken link
Old 06-24-18, 10:24 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Not at all since my news sources are ABC, BBC and Fox News. No blinders here. I want to hear all perspectives.
Old 06-24-18, 10:36 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Link doesn't work. But I am going to take a wild guess and say the article you are trying to link to says Fox news is the most biased of them all. Why do I say that? Because you posted it happy.

I know all of the mainstream media outlets have bias. Some worse than others. That's why I find balance on my own by getting news from a variety of sources like purple suggests.

Sadly, not everyone does this.
Old 06-24-18, 11:53 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
How biased is the person rating the bias of your news source?

I think it's well-established that the media leans to the left. Nothing wrong with that. When you create a chart like this and you place in the center all the left leaning news sources, the chart smacks of bias.

It would be interesting to see some of these newspaper's endorsements over the last 20 years. I'm guessing they have endorsed more democrats than republicans. Again, nothing wrong with that. But if you are going to rate them, you have to take that leftward lean into account. There is no way that the media in general is equal on both sides.

IMO, CNN was always the closest to the middle. Over the last 3 years, they have moved further to the left. MSNBC was always way to the left. FoxNews was clearly to the right and has moved even further to the right since this whole Trump episode has begun.
Old 06-25-18, 12:07 AM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
I try and get my news mostly from Alex Jones and random youtube videos that come up in my recommendations.
Old 06-25-18, 06:25 AM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Interesting phrasing Yap “ Trump episode” love it
because it is apt. I know he’s a day trader and his experience is being more episodic . Heard an interesting clip of him
In 2012 rippping Mitt Romney for having harsh stance on deportation and immigration . Said he was in humane . Hmmm there are many examples of this and I realize many out here love his far right governing but It seems to me people rarely change in their late 60”s . So it’s more personal and not valued based governance in many instances.

He just chugs along from day to day and episode to episode and backs in the drama of it all .

Nice work Yappi that was and interesting phrase .
Old 06-25-18, 06:41 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
When I want to find out the true story, I read Izvestia
Old 06-25-18, 07:31 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
ALL news sources are biased Happy. Even worse your average journalist is not very smart so the bias can be tainted by ignorance of the topic they're covering. The solution:

* Read any news story with a great deal of skepticism

* Educate yourself on the important matters of the day. This generally requires reading books on various topics. Listening to audio/video lectures by the authors of the books will also work. Even some TV documentaries can be quite effective at broadening your knowledge in a given area.

As an example if you are knowledgeable about WW2 and understand what Hitler did and how he operated you would reject those news sources that compared Trump (or GW Bush, or etc.) to Hitler. Think of it as educating your self so you can run quality control diagnostics on news sources.

* Treat news sources like you do people. Over time you build up a trust in the ones that don't lie to you or freely own up to when they'r moving from "facts" to "opinions". A track record of honest & intelligent information delivery is critical to surrounding yourself with news sources that can be trusted. This can take years to do BTW.

* Be prepared to reject "trusted" news sources when they lie to you or change their editorial approach to one that drives an agenda.
Old 06-25-18, 07:33 AM
All American

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
ALL news sources are biased Happy. Even worse your average journalist is not very smart so the bias can be tainted by ignorance of the topic they're covering. The solution:

* Read any news story with a great deal of skepticism

* Educate yourself on the important matters of the day. This generally requires reading books on various topics. Listening to audio/video lectures by the authors of the books will also work. Even some TV documentaries can be quite effective at broadening your knowledge in a given area.

As an example if you are knowledgeable about WW2 and understand what Hitler did and how he operated you would reject those news sources that compared Trump (or GW Bush, or etc.) to Hitler. Think of it as educating your self so you can run quality control diagnostics on news sources.

* Treat news sources like you do people. Over time you build up a trust in the ones that don't lie to you or freely own up to when they'r moving from "facts" to "opinions". A track record of honest & intelligent information delivery is critical to surrounding yourself with news sources that can be trusted. This can take years to do BTW.

* Be prepared to reject "trusted" news sources when they lie to you or change their editorial approach to one that drives an agenda.
Or do what GRROCK does and just go the your 4Chan and Reddit to confirm your views.
Old 06-25-18, 07:43 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Hey man...4chan and Reddit are forking awesome.
Old 06-25-18, 08:15 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Many seek the source(s) that confirms their views. Much of our "news" may be somewhat biased, but facts should not be. Now we have too many "entertainers" posing as journalists, spreading conspiracy theorists and outright lies, for ratings and fortune, without the slightest concern or responsibility to truth or basic facts. And a POTUS who lifts them up, while attacking traditional media and professional journalism daily. Straight out of Putin's playbook. Slipping into 3rd world territory.
Old 06-25-18, 08:23 AM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Many seek the source(s) that confirms their views. Much of our "news" may be somewhat biased, but facts should not be. Now we have too many "entertainers" posing as journalists, spreading conspiracy theorists and outright lies, for ratings and fortune, without the slightest concern or responsibility to truth or basic facts. And a POTUS who lifts them up, while attacking traditional media and professional journalism daily. Straight out of Putin's playbook. Slipping into 3rd world territory.
40 years ago you had a point, today almost everyone presents biased facts. I don't believe there are any journalists anymore.
Old 06-25-18, 09:25 AM
All American

gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
The mainstream media is controlled propaganda. It is very easy to spot if you use many news sources...they all have the very same talking points. They manufacture a narrative to produce outrage and division among the sheep.
Then there are all the leaks bribing with money/sex...questions for debates etc.
I use many different news sites across the spectrum from NPR CNN drudge to zerohedge but IMO the best sources are original material like wikileaks.

Here are a few that got caught in news manufacturing for one side.
https://onstellar.com/blogs/58896/Re...olluding-w-DNC
Old 06-25-18, 09:58 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Why isn't the yappi.com DB included on this chart? It's where I get all my news.

I think it belongs right in the middle. A good mix of reasonable conservatives balance out far-left propaganda from the happy bluejays. Very balanced reporting for both sides of the aisle
Old 06-25-18, 10:43 AM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Many seek the source(s) that confirms their views. Much of our "news" may be somewhat biased, but facts should not be. Now we have too many "entertainers" posing as journalists, spreading conspiracy theorists and outright lies, for ratings and fortune, without the slightest concern or responsibility to truth or basic facts.
Agreed with everything up above.

Quote:
And a POTUS who lifts them up, while attacking traditional media and professional journalism daily. Straight out of Putin's playbook. Slipping into 3rd world territory.
You were doing so good up until this point. For the most part, Trump attacks the unprofessional journalists who lean too far to the left. At one time, I thought Wolf Blitzer, Don Lemon, and Anderson Cooper were left leaning but somewhat reasonable. Since the election, I see them as far to the left as most of the the anchors on FoxNews are to the right.

In popular media, there really isn't anyone neutral anymore.
Old 06-25-18, 11:15 AM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
There is no Money in neutral . Or less money anyway. Strong one sided opinions= cash
Old 06-25-18, 12:20 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
There is no Money in neutral . Or less money anyway. Strong one sided opinions= cash
Definitely agree.
Old 06-25-18, 12:41 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Biased does not mean that it is not true.

For example, I believe that pedophilia and Marxism are both bad ides 100% of the time. I really am not interested in any news story that takes even a neutral position on either topic.

Biased? Yes. Inaccurate? I don't think so.
Old 06-25-18, 01:15 PM
All Ohio

domi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I try and get my news mostly from Alex Jones and random youtube videos that come up in my recommendations.
Don't forget about reddit and 4chan. That Q-anon is one smart fellow.

lol, didn't scroll down to fish82's comment.
Old 06-25-18, 02:04 PM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Almost forgot zerohedge
Old 06-25-18, 02:14 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
If it ain't coming from Eric Dubay then I don't care to hear it.
Old 06-26-18, 09:37 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
I am experiencing a bit of a conundrum. I want to be informed. I want to be engaged. But my patience, as well as my options, are being whittled away.

Subsequently, I have turned into a cynic. I want balanced reporting, I want both sides covered whether it's long-form or one paragraph (honest, it can be done). But that takes work. That takes commitment to the fundamental journalistic tenet that was pounded into the brain of anyone who studied journalism that there are, no - must be - two sides of the story reported.

You know why the news mostly doesn't go that route anymore? Because fewer and fewer people are like me. The majority of the people won't tolerate hearing both sides. They want their side reported so it mollifies their need to see their leanings justified. Journalism shouldn't prey on people's emotions, but it has become convenient and financially expedient to feed that two-headed monster, the one on the left and the one on the right. Both lap up the same garbage, it's just served differently. It's not the fault of the consumer. Most take what's given to them and the major news outlets have decided to takes sides and give those on each side a daily dose of comfort food. I know that some on here will rail against that, but in my view, at least, this forum is a microcosm of what the viewing public has settled into.

I know I sound like an angry old man. Know why? Because I am. I can't go anywhere on national TV or radio news outlets without being deluged with polarizing reporting. Yes, there are exceptions, but largely, it's talking heads and taking sides. In the case of TV news, especially, Newton Minow was a prophet.
Old 06-26-18, 02:07 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^
Well stated.
Old 07-02-18, 12:06 AM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
What burns my azz now as much as bias is the vast use of "anonymous" sources. There was a time, not that long ago, when responsible news outlets never would use anonymous sources becasue of their unreliabilty. I recall The NY Times and Washington Post firing reporters who used anonymous sources. Now the majority of the news stories by the MSM is based on anonymous sources.

Dan Rather tried to smear GW Bush with a story from an anonymous and unsubstantiated source and he was knocked off the air. That doesn't happen today.
Old 07-02-18, 04:37 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
How biased is the person rating the bias of your news source?

I think it's well-established that the media leans to the left. Nothing wrong with that. When you create a chart like this and you place in the center all the left leaning news sources, the chart smacks of bias.

It would be interesting to see some of these newspaper's endorsements over the last 20 years. I'm guessing they have endorsed more democrats than republicans. Again, nothing wrong with that. But if you are going to rate them, you have to take that leftward lean into account. There is no way that the media in general is equal on both sides.

IMO, CNN was always the closest to the middle. Over the last 3 years, they have moved further to the left. MSNBC was always way to the left. FoxNews was clearly to the right and has moved even further to the right since this whole Trump episode has begun.
Journalism is dead.
Old 07-02-18, 04:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMCinci View Post
40 years ago you had a point, today almost everyone presents biased facts. I don't believe there are any journalists anymore.
Beat me to it, I see.
Old 07-02-18, 04:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
Why isn't the yappi.com DB included on this chart? It's where I get all my news.

I think it belongs right in the middle. A good mix of reasonable conservatives balance out far-left propaganda from the happy bluejays. Very balanced reporting for both sides of the aisle
If we were balancing a chemical equation in the DF, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. Our loopy left on Yappi is hard to take seriously enough to support any real discussion most of the time, sadly.
Old 07-02-18, 04:42 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
pretty much the problem
Old 07-02-18, 04:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
^^^
Well stated.
He's right.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: