Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-21-18, 07:21 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Service Animals

Big listener of Mike McConnell's show on WLW every morning, and he's good at coming up with odd news stories.

Here is one that I have a question on.

So the story goes that at some airport, a blind couple had a service dog that was a Great Dane in breed. I guess another passenger on the airplane was upset that the dog smelled and obviously with it's size, took up alot of space. Now this escalated to the point where the passenger punched the woman and the dog.

No my question to the masses is...are there any requirements for service animals as far as what they are, and if a dog a certain breed.

My first inclination is...and the guy was completely in the wrong for punching the lady and the dog...but how can a Great Dane be considered a proper service animal? These animals, on average are 100-200 lbs, and 28-34 inches tall.

Someone that knows more about service animals, please clue me in. Is there any requirements of service animals, or is it pretty loose?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-18, 07:38 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
This link purports to ennumerate some of the federal laws and regs involved.

"Service Dogs cannot block or obstruct aisles on the plane, they may not sit in a seat, and for safety reasons, the handler and dog cannot be seated in an emergency exit row."

The only place I know where a Great Dane would fit is on a 747 or similar, where there is a gap in the seating rows for an emergency exit (and the flight attendants have jump seats facing a row of passengers - but that seems to go against the above rule.

On any other plane, a dog is going to be taking up space on the owner's lap (which seems to be a violation also). Only place I can think of is under the seat in front of the blind person where a carry-on would go.

If said dog is in partially in my face or on my lap, or otherwise seriously violating my space as a sighted passenger, am I mean-spirited by speaking up and politely requesting the owner take steps to correct it?

Tough PR call for the airline.

https://www.anythingpawsable.com/tra...guide-updated/
Old 05-21-18, 08:01 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
This link purports to ennumerate some of the federal laws and regs involved.

"Service Dogs cannot block or obstruct aisles on the plane, they may not sit in a seat, and for safety reasons, the handler and dog cannot be seated in an emergency exit row."

The only place I know where a Great Dane would fit is on a 747 or similar, where there is a gap in the seating rows for an emergency exit (and the flight attendants have jump seats facing a row of passengers - but that seems to go against the above rule.

On any other plane, a dog is going to be taking up space on the owner's lap (which seems to be a violation also). Only place I can think of is under the seat in front of the blind person where a carry-on would go.

If said dog is in partially in my face or on my lap, or otherwise seriously violating my space as a sighted passenger, am I mean-spirited by speaking up and politely requesting the owner take steps to correct it?

Tough PR call for the airline.

https://www.anythingpawsable.com/tra...guide-updated/
I guess the airline comes off as heavy handed if they don't even allow the lady to use the service animal, and as you just have pointed out, it's very tough to conceive there wasn't some accommodations made by the airline for the passenger.
What if this is a not a blind person, maybe just someone who feels the need for a service animal? My guess is the outcome would be different.
Old 05-21-18, 08:10 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
What if this is a not a blind person, maybe just someone who feels the need for a service animal? My guess is the outcome would be different.
Not a blind person, but still have a service animal? The only folks I can think are those paralyzed and in wheelchairs. Not sure how airlines accommodate such folks, let alone the animal, but I'm sure they have procedures on how to handle.

Anything else, I think you're referring to "emotional support" animals, not service animals. My understanding, with some info from the link above, is that the airlines have much greater latitude in what a person can or cannot bring.
Old 05-21-18, 08:22 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
The couple is deaf, not blind. And the woman he punched was both deaf and pregnant.
Quote:
“As the plane descended a 59-year-old man's wife complained of being allergic to dogs. When the plane landed and taxied to the gate, the dog woke up and stood up. Timothy Manley then punched the dog with a closed fist, causing it to yelp, the report said.”

“The couple began yelling at the man, who police said reacted by getting into the man’s face. At some point, the man punched the pregnant woman in the stomach.”
Ironic the guy’s name is Manley.
Old 05-21-18, 08:35 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Hopefully Manley was arrested.
Old 05-21-18, 08:36 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
I travel a lot and the amount of young ladies with "service" pets on a plane is staggering. Most are just normal looking people usually in the teen to mid 20s range and they have usually a mid sized dog that becomes the center of attention as they go through the airport. Asked a flight attendant what is up with all these service pets and bottom line is it is a hip thing for young women and they become basically accessories and attention getters for them. Big pain to the flight staff and have caused many problems to the point that American Airlines has had to update its policy regarding service pets: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...514-story.html The bottom line is that if you need a goat to calm you down and be able to fly on a plane you have some serious issues.
Old 05-21-18, 09:14 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
The couple is deaf, not blind. And the woman he punched was both deaf and pregnant.

So he punched a service dog and a woman who's deaf and pregnant. What an incredible POS.
Old 05-21-18, 09:17 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post

“As the plane descended a 59-year-old man's wife complained of being allergic to dogs. When the plane landed and taxied to the gate, the dog woke up and stood up. Timothy Manley then punched the dog with a closed fist, causing it to yelp, the report said.”

“The couple began yelling at the man, who police said reacted by getting into the man’s face. At some point, the man punched the pregnant woman in the stomach.”

Irony noted.

Hmm. Doesn't sound good at all. Just be sure, I'd like to know if the dog did anything that a reasonable person might have construed as threatening, just before the other guy punched it.

Flashback: one time I had a deaf co-worker get mad at me because I wouldn't falsify a training record for him - he just went off. Man, he could vocalize those F-you bombs pretty well. Fortunately, no dogs were involved.
Old 05-21-18, 09:22 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
I travel a lot and the amount of young ladies with "service" pets on a plane is staggering. Most are just normal looking people usually in the teen to mid 20s range and they have usually a mid sized dog that becomes the center of attention as they go through the airport. Asked a flight attendant what is up with all these service pets and bottom line is it is a hip thing for young women and they become basically accessories and attention getters for them. Big pain to the flight staff and have caused many problems to the point that American Airlines has had to update its policy regarding service pets: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...514-story.html The bottom line is that if you need a goat to calm you down and be able to fly on a plane you have some serious issues.
Couldn't have said it better myself Auggie. We've gone great lengths to make sure "we" are comfortable, not minding what a pain in the but we've become.
Old 05-21-18, 09:24 AM
All World

I just wonder how many great danes are used for those purposes. Or if this is one of those ..."that's the dog I prefer, so we'll make it a service dog"....

And what circumstance would make you, as a man, first punch a dog, and a pregnant female??

Nothing surprise me anymore folks.
Old 05-21-18, 09:31 AM
All World

Quote:
I just wonder how many great danes are used for those purposes. Or if this is one of those ..."that's the dog I prefer, so we'll make it a service dog"....

And what circumstance would make you, as a man, first punch a dog, and a pregnant female??

Nothing surprise me anymore folks.
Is that a problem? Service dogs are used for much more than just flying on an airplane.
Old 05-21-18, 09:44 AM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
So he punched a service dog and a woman who's deaf and pregnant. What an incredible POS.
Yeah you just don't punch animals. What's wrong with people?
Old 05-21-18, 10:05 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Irony noted.

Hmm. Doesn't sound good at all. Just be sure, I'd like to know if the dog did anything that a reasonable person might have construed as threatening, just before the other guy punched it.

Flashback: one time I had a deaf co-worker get mad at me because I wouldn't falsify a training record for him - he just went off. Man, he could vocalize those F-you bombs pretty well. Fortunately, no dogs were involved.
It's a service dog and a great dane, so I highly doubt it.
Old 05-21-18, 10:13 AM
All World

Quote:
Very doubtful. Service animals go through some pretty serious training. Emotional support animals often have little to no training outside being housebroken. Many people don't seem to understand the difference.
Old 05-21-18, 10:49 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Is that a problem? Service dogs are used for much more than just flying on an airplane.
Very true, but if you are handicapped, an animal that's fairly portable would make more sense to me. I would think any really small dog, or a really big dog would be the worse kind to have.

Just thinking a little bit taco, I know it's a foreign concept to you.
Old 05-21-18, 10:50 AM
All World

Quote:
Very true, but if you are handicapped, an animal that's fairly portable would make more sense to me. I would think any really small dog, or a really big dog would be the worse kind to have.

Did it ever occur to you that trying to find a small dog for someone who is deaf might be incredibly difficult?

More insults. That's all you can do, insult people and parrot the ideas of others. Are you incapable of coming up with an original thought of your own?
Old 05-21-18, 11:07 AM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
I can remember a time when service dogs were allowed to occupy a seat next to their blind companion. Fifty years ago the airlines had a policy called student stand-by. That policy allowed students to fly for half price if there were empty seats on the flight. I used it several times to fly from Boston to Cleveland and back. One time the flight to Cleveland was full but the airline staffer put me on a flight to LaGuardia where she assured me that were plenty of empty seats on the next flight to Cleveland. At LaGuardia I was waiting for my name to be called for a seat on the flight. Then up shows around 40 blind persons with their guide dogs who were going to a bowling tournament for the blind benig held in Cleveland. So I got bumped by a dog and had to spent the night in LaGuardia in an extremely uncomfortable chair.
Old 05-21-18, 11:28 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

You should probably reach out to this family and let them know they have the wrong bread of service dog.
Old 05-21-18, 11:37 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Did it ever occur to you that trying to find a small dog for someone who is deaf might be incredibly difficult?

More insults. That's all you can do, insult people and parrot the ideas of others. Are you incapable of coming up with an original thought of your own?
Just following your lead Taco.

You take a basic general thought and twist it into specific situations. My main point in all of this is that a great dane appears to me, to be a poor choice to have as a service animal. Very simple. I have no idea how difficult it could be for a deaf person to find a small dog. And I do think I said a small dog probably wouldn't make a good service dog either.
Old 05-21-18, 11:46 AM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
So basically they are all impersonating Paris Hilton (emotional support dogs)
Old 05-21-18, 11:50 AM
All Yappi

Talk radio must be easy to rile all up all the half wits.
Old 05-21-18, 11:56 AM
All World

Quote:
Just following your lead Taco.

You take a basic general thought and twist it into specific situations. My main point in all of this is that a great dane appears to me, to be a poor choice to have as a service animal. Very simple. I have no idea how difficult it could be for a deaf person to find a small dog. And I do think I said a small dog probably wouldn't make a good service dog either.
Don't try to project your flaws on me, 14Red. I insulted no one in this thread. You are following your own lead, you are incapable of making a post without trying to tear down others and are incapable of coming up with an original thought.

You're the one who talked about THIS specific situation?? You did not make a basic general thought. You made this post specifically about the great dane service animal. I do think you used the words "very portable." You said a very small dog wouldn't make a good service animal. You didn't mention anything about small dogs (20-30lbs). Anything over 30lbs would not be considered "very portable."
Old 05-21-18, 12:06 PM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
my wife has been filing paperwork for over a year to try to get our mini dachshund to be registered as an emotional support service animal.

We purchased him about 2 months after our son passed away 2 years ago. He has helped fill a void for my wife more than anyone could imagine. she has been denied twice.
Old 05-21-18, 12:29 PM
All American

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Old 05-21-18, 12:30 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
That's essentially all conservative radio does.
Old 05-21-18, 12:36 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 red ls View Post
my wife has been filing paperwork for over a year to try to get our mini dachshund to be registered as an emotional support service animal.

We purchased him about 2 months after our son passed away 2 years ago. He has helped fill a void for my wife more than anyone could imagine. she has been denied twice.
Jeeze. I don't ever say sorry on here and usually laugh at people....but dang man. Sorry for your loss.
Old 05-21-18, 01:04 PM
All Yappi

Not sure I see a reason for needing an emotional support dog to follow you around everywhere.

But if it makes someone feel better and helps them from not flying off the handle, go for it.

Maybe pboy needs one
Old 05-21-18, 01:07 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
I have 2 danes, they are very intelligent and gentle, and being trained as a service dog I would be shocked if it was aggressive towards this man. The fact he ran away should be evidence of his culpability as well.
Old 05-21-18, 01:09 PM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Jeeze. I don't ever say sorry on here and usually laugh at people....but dang man. Sorry for your loss.
much appreciated. We have seen cases where recovering drug addicts have been given emotional support animals (i understand it)
the reasoning behind the last denied letter she was told bc of the breed of dog he was. (most places we read the breed doesnt matter)

the first time we were denied they (the USDR) wanted my wife to go see a therapist. We contacted them over the phone and over email to explain to them we had met with multiple grief counselors for MONTHS to help us through our situation. Meeting with a therapist really wasnt in the cards after all we had dealt with.

im thinking my wife is going to go the route of using our family doctor in the future.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: