Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-18-19, 11:36 AM
All Ohio

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals wrestling View Post
The Colony, over on Lee Rd, wouldn't have been on of them, would it?
It may have been.Some of that was a blur.Crazy house parties in Cleveland Hts.Nothing like loosing your lunch out the back window of a car on Cedar
Old 02-18-19, 11:50 AM
All Ohio

when does the Mentor VASJ game start today? Is there a freshman game?
Old 02-18-19, 12:05 PM
All District

bengals wrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
I wasn’t at the game but where was the Benedictine AD? Unless he ran to secure the Benedictine basketballs to make sure no one ran off with them because that is the most important thing an AD can do? Yeah, I bet he was gathering up the basketballs.
Or maybe he was protecting all our state championship banners. Something your AD never has to worry about.
Old 02-18-19, 12:36 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by James x2 View Post
Whoever scheduled Mentor (Monday), STVM (Tuesday) and St. Ed's (Thursday) has an admirable sense of fair play! What a gauntlet!
Old 02-18-19, 01:39 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ridiculous sense of humor. The poor kids will be dragging. The way I look at it all 3 squads like to run. Not sure what to expect Tuesday and Thursday. I think the game with Mentor will be fast paced and guard oriented - but it will take its toll come Tuesday and Thursday. I know why teams do it. IF you are lucky enough to play in Columbus you may have to play with maximum effort on back to back days.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 02-18-19, 01:40 PM
All World

Quote:

JV starts at 5:30 with Varsity to follow.

Old 02-18-19, 09:43 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Mentor defeats VASJ 81-74. I wasnít able to make the game tonight, overall how did they look against Mentor for those that did? Was it the same get down big and try to climb back in or was it close? Next game is in Akron down on green street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-19, 09:59 PM
All Ohio

Game was close for the majority of the first half.Mentor had way to many offensive rebounds and second chance points.They got whatever they needed when they needed it.Three's, cuts to the basket.Even questionable foul calls.Our guards make showtime plays but constantly can't execute a fast break or make simple passes at times.Maddening to watch.We had chances and never gave up but Mentor is more polished.
Old 02-18-19, 11:44 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
Mentor defeats VASJ 81-74. I wasnít able to make the game tonight, overall how did they look against Mentor for those that did? Was it the same get down big and try to climb back in or was it close? Next game is in Akron down on green street.

The SVSM football stadium is on Green Street, hence itís name, Green Street Stadium. The school and basketball arena are on Maple Street.

Now that thatís cleared up, I think both teams will have tired legs Tuesday night. Itís the third game in five days for the Irish. Throwing the game vs Brush in between Edís and Joeís made a meat grinder for the Irish.

Good luck to both teams with an injury free game.
Old 02-19-19, 04:07 AM
All American

Quote:
Game was close for the majority of the first half.Mentor had way to many offensive rebounds and second chance points.They got whatever they needed when they needed it.Three's, cuts to the basket.Even questionable foul calls.Our guards make showtime plays but constantly can't execute a fast break or make simple passes at times.Maddening to watch.We had chances and never gave up but Mentor is more polished.

Thatís the mind boggling thing is that they have no problem trying to showboat which needs to cut out either way, but the fact on simple plays, they canít even execute just makes me shake my head. Hopefully they clean things up and get through this gauntlet in one piece. Im gonna hope and try to make the St.Edís game Thursday other than that probably wonít be until the Sectional Final.

Old 02-19-19, 04:11 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
The SVSM football stadium is on Green Street, hence itís name, Green Street Stadium. The school and basketball arena are on Maple Street.

Now that thatís cleared up, I think both teams will have tired legs Tuesday night. Itís the third game in five days for the Irish. Throwing the game vs Brush in between Edís and Joeís made a meat grinder for the Irish.

Gotcha on that, I have to give St.V the advantage of being at home and not have to worry about a 45+ minute bus ride up/down 271 and 8 on top of rush hour traffic. Iím not liking this stretch for the Vikings likely to finish with likely one win out of five games. I seriously do question what they were thinking scheduling Mentor St.V and St.Edís all in the same week. I canít fault them for Benedictine being scheduled last Saturday and Aquinas this Friday because that is on the NCL. Hopefully this doesnít backfire.

Old 02-19-19, 07:46 AM
All Region

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post

Thanks for the update on the SVSM schedule. Are there any news articles or tweets that I've missed where Coach Joyce is complaining about how tough his schedule down the stretch? Or is he and his program just acting like their culture's norm is to accept challenges and not build in excuses?
Old 02-19-19, 08:20 AM
All American

Quote:
Thanks for the update on the SVSM schedule. Are there any news articles or tweets that I've missed where Coach Joyce is complaining about how tough his schedule down the stretch? Or is he and his program just acting like their culture's norm is to accept challenges and not build in excuses?
Since Dru is the one who sets up the schedule, he'd have a tough time complaining about it! Seriously, though, STVM always has one of the toughest schedules in the State. This year, for example, the Irish will have played 6 of the 7 other top 8 teams in NEO. Only Mentor is not on the regular season schedule. Obviously part of it is to prepare for the tournament. But really it is just to challenge the team from Game 1 versus Simeon to the last game versus Canton McKinley. No excuses. Besides, no one would listen to them if he did!
Old 02-19-19, 08:47 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
Since Dru is the one who sets up the schedule, he'd have a tough time complaining about it! Seriously, though, STVM always has one of the toughest schedules in the State. This year, for example, the Irish will have played 6 of the 7 other top 8 teams in NEO. Only Mentor is not on the regular season schedule. Obviously part of it is to prepare for the tournament. But really it is just to challenge the team from Game 1 versus Simeon to the last game versus Canton McKinley. No excuses. Besides, no one would listen to them if he did!
So Coach Joyce setup his own schedule? Is that how it is at most schools or do the ADs setup the schedules? Did the VASJ AD setup their schedule because Coach Babe was supposedly leaving for the Gilmour job last off season? Is that why he is complaining so much about it down the stretch here?
Old 02-19-19, 09:00 AM
All World

I have yet to see a complaint. The Vikings do this to themselves every year so I dont know what the big deal is. I think it's just the 4 games in 5 days thing that has people shaking their heads. Maybe one of those games could have been played last week to break things up a bit.

Old 02-19-19, 09:14 AM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
I don't get why these schools would set up these crazy stretches right before tournament time. Teams like VASJ, Mentor, SVSM, Brush, and more, all playing quality opponents in short time frames. Doesn't make sense to me. They should be doing this in December and January, not late February when the tournament is right around the corner. We will see if it costs anyone in the long run.
Old 02-19-19, 09:55 AM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
So Coach Joyce setup his own schedule? Is that how it is at most schools or do the ADs setup the schedules? Did the VASJ AD setup their schedule because Coach Babe was supposedly leaving for the Gilmour job last off season? Is that why he is complaining so much about it down the stretch here?
More fake news from the fraud known as Brusharc. The SVSM game was added at the request of SVSM's president to VASJ's president. Today was the only mutually agreeable date.
Old 02-19-19, 10:10 AM
All World

The reason why teams with championship aspirations do this is that if you are able to get to the regional finals and state finals you will undoubtedly play a very good teams in very short time frames.

Old 02-19-19, 10:17 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
More fake news from the fraud known as Brusharc. The SVSM game was added at the request of SVSM's president to VASJ's president. Today was the only mutually agreeable date.
After losing games against Wayne and Beavercreek due to weather, the Irish were looking to add a game. As an independent, STVM is in a little better position to add a team like Brush halfway into the season. While this flexibility of schedule tends to give the football schedulers fits at STVM (!), it certainly works to the BB team's advantage.
Old 02-19-19, 10:21 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
I don't get why these schools would set up these crazy stretches right before tournament time. Teams like VASJ, Mentor, SVSM, Brush, and more, all playing quality opponents in short time frames. Doesn't make sense to me. They should be doing this in December and January, not late February when the tournament is right around the corner. We will see if it costs anyone in the long run.
Since the Irish started its season against Simeon (Ill), Spire and Moeller in a 7 day span, their schedule was pretty tough out of the gate, too!
Old 02-19-19, 10:29 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
After losing games against Wayne and Beavercreek due to weather, the Irish were looking to add a game. As an independent, STVM is in a little better position to add a team like Brush halfway into the season. While this flexibility of schedule tends to give the football schedulers fits at STVM (!), it certainly works to the BB team's advantage.
In looking at early schedule drafts, I am able to see that this game was a late addition after the other games on the schedule were already booked. Both teams schedules were already in place and this game was a late add on. I want to say the game would have been added around October.
Old 02-19-19, 10:31 AM
All Region

Quote:
In looking at early schedule drafts, I am able to see that this game was a late addition after the other games on the schedule were already booked. Both teams schedules were already in place and this game was a late add on. I want to say the game would have been added around October.
Does the president of VASJ typically schedule all the VASJ athletic events?
Old 02-19-19, 10:34 AM
All District

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
All these kids are playing 4-6 games in weekend during aau season. It can be a little mentally draining, but 17 year olds aren't going to have dead legs in March over a busy last week of the season against top talent. Not saying it's ideal, but won't hurt these teams in March in my opinion.
Old 02-19-19, 11:42 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Does the president of VASJ typically schedule all the VASJ athletic events?
He didn't schedule the game. At the request of SVSM to add the game and out of Christian generosity, mutual respect for SVSM, and since SVSM is also a Marianist sponsored school like VASJ, Cervenik asked our AD and coaches to see what was possible and the game was scheduled. I am sure SVSM will reciprocate one day when VASJ needs a favor. You have your answer now move along.
Old 02-19-19, 12:03 PM
All American

Tonight should be an entertaining game. It'll be interesting to see which team is affected more by fatigue. The Vikings are coming off a tough game against Mentor on Monday, while the Irish battled St. Ed's and Brush on Friday and Sunday. I'm guessing the extra day off will do wonders for the Irish and give them the edge to get the win. But it's always a dogfight with VASJ.
Old 02-19-19, 01:00 PM
All Region

Quote:
Good to know the president was able to step in and get SVSM on the schedule for VASJ. Hey Mug, since you have the ear of the president can you tell me if Bball 216 has gotten his serious apology from the good folks over at Benedictine yet? There sure has been plenty of drama on this thread from patches on the jerseys, the Harvey coach voting VASJ last, and most recently the Benedictine game so it would be nice if we could at least put one of those things behind us.
Old 02-19-19, 01:26 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Potential View Post
All these kids are playing 4-6 games in weekend during aau season. It can be a little mentally draining, but 17 year olds aren't going to have dead legs in March over a busy last week of the season against top talent. Not saying it's ideal, but won't hurt these teams in March in my opinion.

Please dont do the great sport of high school basketball a injustice by comparing it to AAU. Kids might play a lot of games but it's nowhere near the intensity of a good high school game between upper level teams.

Old 02-19-19, 01:50 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Please dont do the great sport of high school basketball a injustice by comparing it to AAU. Kids might play a lot of games but it's nowhere near the intensity of a good high school game between upper level teams.

Ha true. I am not an aau fan either. Still feel physically 3 games in 4 days isn't an issue for 17 year olds but staying locked in mentally is.
Old 02-19-19, 02:21 PM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Potential View Post
Ha true. I am not an aau fan either. Still feel physically 3 games in 4 days isn't an issue for 17 year olds but staying locked in mentally is.
Playing 4-6 "all star games" (aka AAU games) where no defense is being played, doesnt even compare to 3 intense games in 4 days at the HS level. Plus kids arent worried about academics, getting up for school, and all that comes with that in the summer too. Not sure if you forget what it was like to be a student athlete, but theres a lot more that goes into it than just "oh well if they can play 4 games in a weekend of AAU with no school then they can put in 15 hour days multiple days in a row and still have energy to compete at a high level" Eventually, something has to give
Old 02-19-19, 02:37 PM
All District

Ok, fine. it's a tough task. Wasn't really thinking of the up at 6am, bus rides, sitting through the jv games etc.

You will see that a few of the toughest kids will bring their A game no matter what though.