Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-08-17, 06:26 PM
All Region

JM92 is on a distinguished road
Whoever does advance and if you can take out the Region 4 in semifinal better look over Newark.. they look like the real deal from what I've read.
Old 03-08-17, 10:42 PM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM92 View Post
Whoever does advance and if you can take out the Region 4 in semifinal better look over Newark.. they look like the real deal from what I've read.
I think it's safe to say they're good, just don't know how good. The only NEO team that they played was Twinsburg....beat them by 13 back in November.

In the regional final, Newark plays a Dublin Coffman team that they've beaten with ease twice this year.

To be honest, I'd rather see the Canton region winner take on the Newark/Coffman winner in the state semi's than the scheduled winner of the Kettering (Cincinnati) region.

Last edited by just a fan; 03-09-17 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-09-17, 04:24 AM
All Region

denbigfish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree.
Old 03-09-17, 06:45 AM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
Why would we even be talking about the final game? Whoever wins out of this has a legit semi-final to play first against either MND or Mason.
Old 03-09-17, 09:01 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Mc gal just discussing basketball.looks like bell liost weight she even better.Will be a close game Canton McKinley been on a roll.YOu have nice fans.good luck
Old 03-09-17, 12:11 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
From here on out, nothing comes easy for any of the teams left.

But that's what makes it fun.
Old 03-09-17, 12:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
I think it's safe to say they're good, just don't know how good. The only NEO team that they played was Twinsburg....beat them by 13 back in November.

In the regional final, Newark plays a Dublin Coffman team that they've beaten with ease twice this year.

To be honest, I'd rather see the Canton region winner take on the Newark/Coffman winner in the state semi's than the scheduled winner of the Kettering (Cincinnati) region.
Did Newark play any of the top Cincinnati schools? Did they play in any big tournaments like the Classic In the Country? Or any good out-of-state teams? I don't know a thing about them, except for the fact that they have a 6-4 center.
Old 03-09-17, 12:36 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
They beat Twinsburg, Pick Central,Africentric, and Reynoldsburg twice..... that's a pretty good résumé...
Old 03-09-17, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
They beat Twinsburg, Pick Central,Africentric, and Reynoldsburg twice..... that's a pretty good résumé...
Maybe so. But not any better than Solon's.
Old 03-09-17, 05:32 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Maybe so. But not any better than Solon's.
You can never be sure about the undefeated teams...sometimes they play a very weak schedule. But this one does seem legit, was reading some articles. They seem to have alot of scoring options and can shoot very well and just very cohesive as a team. Seem to play excellent D..so I guess we will see what happens lol..32 pt blowout of Reynoldsburg in that regional semi kinda crazy..Reynoldsburg is very steady year after year and very well coached. Anyways, can't wait for tomorrow night to see how this Solon/McK game plays out..good luck all!!!

PS those 2 games downstairs on our bracket were both 1 pt games lol
Old 03-09-17, 06:00 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
Why would we even be talking about the final game? Whoever wins out of this has a legit semi-final to play first against either MND or Mason.

Always good to look ahead if you find yourself in that championship game lol..not saying anyone should overlook MND or Mason by any means. MND gave GlenOak their only regular season loss of the year by a score of 20 I think--I have no doubt that game helped GO down the stretch
Old 03-09-17, 07:19 PM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
You can never be sure about the undefeated teams...sometimes they play a very weak schedule. But this one does seem legit, was reading some articles. They seem to have alot of scoring options and can shoot very well and just very cohesive as a team. Seem to play excellent D....Anyways, can't wait for tomorrow night to see how this Solon/McK game plays out..good luck all!!!

PS those 2 games downstairs on our bracket were both 1 pt games lol
A legit team I agree. They have three primary scorers, a nice point guard and post players, good three point and foul shooting, but I'm not totally sold on the excellent D concept...decent, but has weaknesses. It seems they tend to go with a 7 player rotation against better teams. I'll stand by what I said previously, think the winner of the 2 "downstairs" teams is the team to beat. Of course none of that matters until next week. For now, good luck to both teams tomorrow night....a little more luck to the Bulldogs.

All-Central District D1 team:

First team (five name):
Katie Shumate (Newark) 5-10, so., 12.4.

Second team (five named):
Morgan Sharps (Newark) 5-9, so., 15.6;

Third team (five named):
None

Honorable mention (56 total named):
Olivia Fox, Emily Paul, Gabby Stare (Newark)

Player of the year: Jacy Sheldon (Dublin Coffman)

Coach of the year: J.R. Shumate (Newark)

Watch this one first...

Then this one...

Old 03-09-17, 07:59 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
A legit team I agree. They have three primary scorers, a nice point guard and post players, good three point and foul shooting, but I'm not totally sold on the excellent D concept...decent, but has weaknesses. It seems they tend to go with a 7 player rotation against better teams. I'll stand by what I said previously, think the winner of the 2 "downstairs" teams is the team to beat. Of course none of that matters until next week. For now, good luck to both teams tomorrow night....a little more luck to the Bulldogs.

All-Central District D1 team:

First team (five name):
Katie Shumate (Newark) 5-10, so., 12.4.

Second team (five named):
Morgan Sharps (Newark) 5-9, so., 15.6;

Third team (five named):
None

Honorable mention (56 total named):
Olivia Fox, Emily Paul, Gabby Stare (Newark)

Player of the year: Jacy Sheldon (Dublin Coffman)

Coach of the year: J.R. Shumate (Newark)

Watch this one first...

Then this one...

Thanks for that Another team I guess we shouldn't overlook is Toledo Notre Dame.. always here year after year.. that will probably be Newark's real test if they meet in the final 4
Old 03-11-17, 06:27 AM
All Region

Thank you Lady Comets

Tough way to end the season but it certainly wasn't without a battle.

Kudos to the coaching staff for their approach to their rotation throughout the season. It was never more important than last night with all the starters in foul trouble and have to go two and three deep with the bench.

To go up against a team the caliber of McKinley and be in it right down to the end was certainly impressive. The missed free throws and failure to box out for a go ahead layup were the daggers though.

Thanks for all your hard work and excitement Alexis Stover and Dee Bekelja these last 4 years. Well I'll say 6 years since I watched you two in middle school as well. Good luck with your future careers with school and basketball.

Hats off to McKinley. Good luck next weekend.
Old 03-11-17, 06:45 PM
All American

Wadz06 is on a distinguished road
Had you guys in the finals. Tough year for both of us. Wads had an easy bracket and being down due to injuries we thought we could go farther. This was Solons year for sure. Congrats to your seniors they had a great 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-17, 06:52 PM
All American

Wadz06 is on a distinguished road
We will see you next year. Good luck to the seniors, Valencia get ready for the match up with Lexi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-17, 07:50 PM
All District

Rburgfan is on a distinguished road
As a central Ohio guy who has seen Newark several times, they are the real deal. I look for them to win their state semi final game. They have some guard who can flat out stoke it, and a point guard who is tenacious at both ends. Their best player is a coaches kid who is fantastic at all phases of the game.and they are undefeated for a reason. They play in a terrible conference, but scheduled tough out of conference with wins over Reynoldsburg (twice), Pickerington Central, Dublin Coffman (twice) and Africentric, just to name a few. Plus, they are playing their best BBball right now, which is what you want to do.
Old 03-11-17, 08:49 PM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rburgfan View Post
As a central Ohio guy who has seen Newark several times, they are the real deal. I look for them to win their state semi final game. They have some guard who can flat out stoke it, and a point guard who is tenacious at both ends. Their best player is a coaches kid who is fantastic at all phases of the game.and they are undefeated for a reason. They play in a terrible conference, but scheduled tough out of conference with wins over Reynoldsburg (twice), Pickerington Central, Dublin Coffman (twice) and Africentric, just to name a few. Plus, they are playing their best BBball right now, which is what you want to do.
There isn't a team left that isn't the "real deal." That said, from the few video clips that I've seen of Newark, I agree with your assessment....the point guard is very good, they can hit the 3 and they have good post play. They are, however, prone to the turnover. If I'm coaching against them, I"m playing full court defense.

All of that said, especially since this is a Solon thread.....congrats to Solon on a great season; and for the seniors, a great career. Best of luck in your next chapter.

To the kids returning...let's do it again next year.
Old 03-14-17, 10:32 AM
All Yappi

Dee Bekelja has been named Ohio's "Gatorade Player of the Year." It's a great award, and it means that Dee is eligible to be named Gatorade's National Player of the Year.

Dee is still in the running for Ohio's "Ms. Basketball."
Old 03-14-17, 01:59 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Dee Bekelja has been named Ohio's "Gatorade Player of the Year." It's a great award, and it means that Dee is eligible to be named Gatorade's National Player of the Year.

Dee is still in the running for Ohio's "Ms. Basketball."
Congrats to one hard working kid. Truly a joy watching this young lady play for the last 6 years (2 in middle school). And kudos to Mom and Dad. Always a pleasure to talk with them and two of the nicest people around. Big sis Jordan and little brother are great kids too.

Nice award. Congrats. Continued success at DePaul. Hope to catch some games on tv.
Old 03-29-17, 08:40 AM
Junior Varsity

SCBOH is on a distinguished road
Great season for the Comets. Solon girl's bball best record ever at 24-3. 6th straight district championship and 6th straight trip to the regional final!!! I'm not sure how many teams have a streak like that going??? Two awesome wins at the CITC! Stover breaks 1,000 pts. Stover - Modkins - Mitchell - Myers all make all conference and all district teams. Myers gets AP Honorable Mention All OH. Dee wins GCC MVP, District MVP, AP 1st team All OH, and OH Gatorade POY. She ends her career as SHS's all time leader in scoring and steals, 3rd all time in rebounding and assists. 2017 - 2018 Lady Comets: 3 out of 5 starters returning. 8 out of 10 that saw varsity time returning. No question Solon will be picked to win Districts and get to the Regional Final again. I think Solon will be the pre-season favorite for many. Let's go Comets! Coming back even better!!!