Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-07-17, 08:56 AM
All District

ICBM is on a distinguished road
A few observations concerning Niles and Struthers. Don't put too much weight on the Niles losses. Girard is pretty good and Poland is REALLY GOOD. Niles can throw well if they have time. If you can get to the QB and get him moving, he is much less effective. But he started out 10 for 10 against Girard so he is accurate. Their running back is strong and fast. Don't underestimate him. The Poland score shows how good Poland is. Not how bad Niles is. Struthers, I thought, was pretty good. They may have underestimated Crestview. But Crestview is always tough. They just don't get the respect they deserve because they play in a league with typically smaller schools. I think they just earned a little more respect. This games at Niles. And Struthers struggles a bit with Niles. I wouldn't go into this too confident that it's a win. I think that's what happened against Crestview and look what happened.
Old 09-07-17, 09:41 AM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Girard is ok they play in a very weak tier compared to the white.

They are 2-0 against the white though. Waid is a stud. Their defense however is not very good. Niles is not absolutely horrible and could win this game. This game does concern me a bit. If the cats play their game they won't have troubles.

Poland is good too. Not concerned with them until week 6 tho. What a week that will be.
Old 09-07-17, 09:58 AM
Varsity

therock02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post

They are 2-0 against the white though. Waid is a stud. Their defense however is not very good. Niles is not absolutely horrible and could win this game. This game does concern me a bit. If the cats play their game they won't have troubles.

Poland is good too. Not concerned with them until week 6 tho. What a week that will be.
I hate to be the one to tell you this but if your worried about Niles winning this game then you have no shot against Canfield or Poland and probably will be home come week 11.
I actually thought it was a poor game to choose for game of the weak because it would be like a public execution of Shaner on local tv. Struthers should win by 2-3 scores easily, heck they could put a stand up dummy at Iarussi's spot and still run the football against Niles.
I must saw that I am impressed that Girard is 2-0 because they are almost at their win total for all of last year, but they have beaten two non playoff teams. Hubbard's season went down the drain when multiple starters were ruled ineligible and Niles, well they are Niles. I think Girard gets better games from Brookfield and LaBrae then what Niles offered up, but your right Spread the rest of that tier isn't very good. Let's not forget that Girard is bigger than most of the white tier schools, so obviously they dwarf the blue tier in enrollment.
Old 09-07-17, 10:09 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post

I can't argue either statement there about Girard. But regardless of the competition, when you have a good group of kids, the competition matters little. There is more to Girard than Waid. He has a couple receivers who can run 4.5 and can catch in a crowd. Niles a has some quick receivers too. I don't know how much Liberty or Crestview threw the ball but Niles will test you. I think their biggest weakness is their offensive line as far as pass blocking. Anyway, it's still early in the season. Nothing will be a big surprise just yet. But Girard needs a Niles win! LOL. Good Luck to both and stay healthy. Hate to see any kid miss evan a single game for an injury.
Old 09-07-17, 10:30 AM
All American

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM View Post
A few observations concerning Niles and Struthers. Don't put too much weight on the Niles losses. Girard is pretty good and Poland is REALLY GOOD. Niles can throw well if they have time. If you can get to the QB and get him moving, he is much less effective. But he started out 10 for 10 against Girard so he is accurate. Their running back is strong and fast. Don't underestimate him. The Poland score shows how good Poland is. Not how bad Niles is. Struthers, I thought, was pretty good. They may have underestimated Crestview. But Crestview is always tough. They just don't get the respect they deserve because they play in a league with typically smaller schools. I think they just earned a little more respect. This games at Niles. And Struthers struggles a bit with Niles. I wouldn't go into this too confident that it's a win. I think that's what happened against Crestview and look what happened.
Most people arnt saying it's an easy win, I def am not, niles scored the most against struthers all season last year with 21, although I do think niles had a better D and a real playmaker and better recievers by far then this season they are still a threat with big play ability.

Struthers should be able to wear them out on the lines even without aj out for the season, and have a lot more ability to pass this season.

Crestview can throw the ball, that's how their offense is based with a better reciever then anyone niles has, not many have one like crestview does this year, kids a stud. Liberty not so much, struthers D is their main focal point, there really isn't a weak spot besides the one corner is suspect.

A couple turnovers that go struthers way, and they don't cough it up 4 times in their own territory like last week then struthers should win going away, but any given Friday crazy things happen, I was proud of the cats for coming back on a 7 win team last week while turning the ball over so much and holding their heads and winning the game, to most that means nothing but it can go a long way to right the ship.

Also about the Canfield/Poland discussion, although you didn't post it the other guy did, last season struthers lost to niles 21-20 and everyone said they had. O shot against either team, then destroyed Canfield, beat Poland, and beat Hubbard. We will see how the season pans out, but losing 2-3 games will not keep struthers out of the playoffs in region 13
Old 09-07-17, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock02 View Post
I hate to be the one to tell you this but if your worried about Niles winning this game then you have no shot against Canfield or Poland and probably will be home come week 11.
I actually thought it was a poor game to choose for game of the weak because it would be like a public execution of Shaner on local tv. Struthers should win by 2-3 scores easily, heck they could put a stand up dummy at Iarussi's spot and still run the football against Niles.
I must saw that I am impressed that Girard is 2-0 because they are almost at their win total for all of last year, but they have beaten two non playoff teams. Hubbard's season went down the drain when multiple starters were ruled ineligible and Niles, well they are Niles. I think Girard gets better games from Brookfield and LaBrae then what Niles offered up, but your right Spread the rest of that tier isn't very good. Let's not forget that Girard is bigger than most of the white tier schools, so obviously they dwarf the blue tier in enrollment.
Niles makes me nervous bc they have beat the cats the last two seasons. They were the worse team and still won.

Canfield and Poland can wait. Everyone said that last season after the cats lost to niles.
Old 09-07-17, 12:11 PM
Junior Varsity

Tcat500 is on a distinguished road
Only worry is not turning the ball over, that's what kept Crestview in the game. After watching the film, I'm not worried about their passing game, our DBs can shut them down. Niles receivers aren't even comparable to #9 @ Crestview. As long as we don't give up big runs thru the middle, we will b fine. If Niles tries to pull the safeties up into run support, look for Hall to go deep to Adams or Kopnicky all night. Thinking Hall will have a big night.

Crestview game was also effected by Iarussi's injury. The kids knew it wasn't good when he couldn't return. They have now had time to accept it and use it as motivation.
Go CATS!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-17, 12:15 PM
All American

I thought the line on the second half moved crestview wherever they wanted, also giving Mitchell the ball in the second half really helped, seemed like they are limiting his carries big time until the second half.
Old 09-07-17, 12:16 PM
All World

Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Don't think anyone in Struthers is looking past Niles. Especially after the last two years.
They always seem to have our number.
Plus the disadvantage of playing up in Trumbull county.
Refs up there do tend to favor the home teams.

We haven't had much luck up in Niles.
Can only remember one win there in the past few seasons.

Go Cats!
Old 09-07-17, 12:22 PM
All Yappi

The cats have won 2/3 times in niles. 2012- they won 36-26 over yuhas and company.
2014- they won 27-0
Old 09-07-17, 12:42 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthersfan View Post
Don't think anyone in Struthers is looking past Niles. Especially after the last two years.
They always seem to have our number.
Plus the disadvantage of playing up in Trumbull county.
Refs up there do tend to favor the home teams.

We haven't had much luck up in Niles.
Can only remember one win there in the past few seasons.

Go Cats!
2 years ago in niles, we had a strip for a touchdown with 40 seconds left and the ref called it dead but still gave us the ball, woulda put the cats up 2 scores going into half, but take that score away and niles played well in the second half and won. Idk if they woulda played that way being down 2 scores tho.
Old 09-07-17, 01:12 PM
Junior Varsity

The 5th Season is on a distinguished road
Prayers to 56 and his family on the injury. No matter what jersey you wear on Friday night, its about the passion and playing the game, and he embodied that. Monster on the field, but great kid off!
Old 09-07-17, 01:24 PM
All District

ComoCat is on a distinguished road
How many of the Struthers posters are on the staff? Or buddies with the staff to get Hudl access? Is that what it's called? Seems like all you guys get to see the film
Old 09-07-17, 01:29 PM
All World

We were expecting big things out of him this year.
Has to be very disappointing so early in the season.

Well, we'll see what kind of bench we have.

And yeah, forgot about the 27-0 and 36-26.
Struthers really played well in that huge 36-26 win.
We weren't expected to beat them that year.

Notice how quickly the weeks are flying by. Especially after the holiday.

Nice that the game is on the air.
Beat Niles!
Old 09-07-17, 01:35 PM
All Yappi

Ya that was a great game.
Old 09-07-17, 02:22 PM
All Region

Dawgpound31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM View Post
Niles pass game is weak this year

10-10 to start but 8 of the passes were wr screens or bubbles where he only threw the ball 1-3 yds

The QB cant throw down field and he cant run

He threw 4 picks last week against Poland and had a 5th dropped by the corner that would have been a pick 6

Niles bread n butter is in the RB Savin

He should be touching the ball 30-40 times a game

This is NOT the same Niles offence you have faced the last 2 yrs
Old 09-07-17, 02:27 PM
All Yappi

Even better. I would consider run defense the strength of the struthers defense. Willie Mitchell meets that kid a couple of times in the hole I think it'll be ok.
Old 09-07-17, 03:28 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgpound31 View Post
Niles pass game is weak this year

10-10 to start but 8 of the passes were wr screens or bubbles where he only threw the ball 1-3 yds

The QB cant throw down field and he cant run

He threw 4 picks last week against Poland and had a 5th dropped by the corner that would have been a pick 6

Niles bread n butter is in the RB Savin

He should be touching the ball 30-40 times a game

This is NOT the same Niles offence you have faced the last 2 yrs
Poland picked off three and dropped two in one half of a game conditions scrimmage against Girard. Again I warn you. Niles is not that bad. Poland is that good. They will be the biggest and fastest team you play. Although Canfield may be better. Very much like Girard, they battled through some youth development that has now matured. But Struthers is good, no doubt. But unlike last week, they need to play up to their ability, especially with out some key pieces this week.
Old 09-07-17, 04:38 PM
All Yappi

Let's not act like Poland is a state contender. They aren't. I'm still picking my cats.

Niles isn't horrible. Nope. They also aren't a good ball team. 0-2 by way of blowouts shows that.

Cats are down 1 player. Next man up. Let's see how they fare.
Old 09-07-17, 06:22 PM
All Ohio

BTrev is on a distinguished road
What happened to Poland's offense in the 1st half last week? Poland led 14-3, but 7 of those 14 came from a pick 6. So their O only put up 7 points in the 1st half vs Niles. What's the story there?
Old 09-07-17, 06:26 PM
All American

Poland, run heavy offense probably got the box stuffed up, niles moved the ball well in the first half, turnovers as to most teams killed them.
Old 09-07-17, 06:38 PM
All Ohio

BTrev is on a distinguished road
Interesting fact...

In Struthers last 2 conference championship seasons (1997 and 2016), Niles has beaten the Cats both times to ruin their shot at outright conference championships.

Struthers was heavily favored in both games.
Old 09-07-17, 07:44 PM
All Region

Struthers wildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTrev View Post
Interesting fact...

In Struthers last 2 conference championship seasons (1997 and 2016), Niles has beaten the Cats both times to ruin their shot at outright conference championships.

Struthers was heavily favored in both games.
I remember that niles game, that was a great game. I remember niles had 2 big running backs Estes and burns I believe that was the other one.
Old 09-07-17, 08:21 PM
All District

Hilltopper1 is on a distinguished road
Crickets.......lol I think there's at least one and a cpl that know staff members well 😂
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComoCat View Post
How many of the Struthers posters are on the staff? Or buddies with the staff to get Hudl access? Is that what it's called? Seems like all you guys get to see the film
Old 09-07-17, 08:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper1 View Post
Crickets.......lol I think there's at least one and a cpl that know staff members well 😂
Dads. Not coaches. A few of em. Coaches don't look at this stuff.
Old 09-07-17, 08:52 PM
All World

60% chance of rain tomorrow in Niles.
Probably come down most of the game.

May keep the scoring down.

With lousy weather, there may be an upset or two.
Hopefully we hold on to the ball.

Onto Niles.
Beat the Dragons.
Old 09-07-17, 09:13 PM
All Yappi

Niles has turf shouldn't affect much. I'll be on here during the game if anyone wants updates.
Old 09-07-17, 09:16 PM
All World

I'll follow area scores on Twitter. Try to listen to a game or two.
Will do the usual score thread for Valley games.
Old 09-07-17, 09:32 PM
All Yappi

Struthers game is on 570 am. Game of the week will be posted online during the week to watch as well.
Old 09-07-17, 11:25 PM
Junior Varsity

Ytownfootballfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTrev View Post
What happened to Poland's offense in the 1st half last week? Poland led 14-3, but 7 of those 14 came from a pick 6. So their O only put up 7 points in the 1st half vs Niles. What's the story there?
The story is the same offense has scored 51 and 41 points in the 1st two games and had two running clocks. Just because there is not 30 people talking about them on this site and bragging about it doesn't change that.