Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Pick the winner of this game
McKinley (9-2) 25 37.88%
Mentor (10-1) 41 62.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-18, 02:44 PM
All District

FightingCardinal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by menfan View Post
Capable back up but a pretty big drop off from Trobel in his prime. I have to assume that he (Trobel) is not 100% and I would foresee the two of them rotating with Spansel getting the majority of the carries. Just my 2 cents. Trobel is more explosive through the holes, Spansel is bigger and stronger but lacks that breakaway speed.
Mentor hasn’t had a small tailback like Trobel since Eddie Daugherty in 2014. Spansel is the biggest RB that Mentor has had in a while. Nick Kovach in 2011 was close to Spansel’s size, but that was a pass heavy offense with Trubisky.

Brian Trobel - 5’-6” 170# Jr
177 Carries/1285 Yds – 7.3 Avg

Varney Spansel - 5’-11” 190# Jr
82 Carries/372 Yds – 4.5 Avg
Old 11-09-18, 02:51 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Judging by the lack of discussion about the game, I'm guessing that most expect a comfortable Mentor win. But you have to play the game and the Pups have talent too. Maybe the ball takes a bounce in the Pups direction a time or two. Grateful for another week of HS football.
Old 11-09-18, 03:25 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
I read an article this morning that said he was good to go for tonight's game.

https://www.news-herald.com/sports/h...f98654c2b.html

It's going to be too wet for a campfire tonight, so I guess I'll follow online. Go Bulldogs!
I had read that, but I think they are referring to Trobel returning from the injury in the Euclid game as they never addressed if something happened against Strongsville last week. I guess we'll find out tonight.
Old 11-09-18, 04:14 PM
All Ohio

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
Let's Go Pups!
Old 11-09-18, 04:45 PM
All Region

23xTigers is on a distinguished road
Let's Go Mutts,Let's Go Mutts, Let's Go Mutts...
Old 11-09-18, 06:22 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Good luck Pups!
Old 11-09-18, 07:38 PM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
At the end of the 1st quarter Mentor led 3-0. McKinley started the 2nd quarter on the Mentor 4 yard line with a 2nd down. It took a 4th down play to score, but they got a TD completion to the RB Garrett. McK went for two and failed...poor execution.

McKinley 6
Mentor 3

Mentor starts on their own 30 with 10:30 in the half. RB tackled for a loss of one. Gain of 13 on next play for a first down at the 42. Gain of 3 on 1st down, gain of 6, 3rd and 1 from the McKinley 49. Stopped 1./2 yard short of 1st down, QB keeper all the way to the 3 yard line. Mentor walks into the endzone and takes a 10-6 lead.

High short kick again by Mentor has McKinley starting on their own 34....high kicks are taking away the return. No gain on 1st down RB carry. short pass is advanced to the 43, 3rd and one...a short gain, but it was enough for a 1st down at the 45. Lateral went out of bounds for a loss of 8....trick play clearly didn't work, 2nd and 18 and McK takes a time out. Kyree Woody is out with an injury. Incomplete pass makes it 3rd and 18...run play gains only 1. McK forced to punt. Punt is downed at the 40 of Mentor.

Pass complete for gain of 7, pass complete for gain of 1, pass is complete to the 33 of McKinley. Gain of 5 on 1st down carry, RB breaks a few tackles and scores from the 29.

Mentor 17
McKinley 6

4:08 in the half.

McKinley needs a score before the half.

Kickoff goes through the end zone so McKinley starts at their own 20. QB keeper for no gain, RB for a short gain makes it 3rd and 9...pass complete to the 41 for a first down. Garrett for a short gain, pass complete to the Mentor 37 for a first down. QB sacked back at the 44 for big loss, 2nd and long...pass is complete to the 16 for a first down. Curtis took a hit on the play but got the ball away. False start on 1st down moves it back five...pass is incomplete in the end zone, 40 seconds remaining...QB had nowhere to throw, pulled it down and ran for a short gain, 3rd and long...pass is incomplete. 4th down 34 yard FG attempt is no good. Not scoring on that possession hurts McKinley a lot.

Mentor takes a knee to end the half.

Last edited by just a fan; 11-09-18 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-09-18, 08:34 PM
Success is Tradition!

McKinley fumbled the kickoff to start the 2nd half so Mentor takes over on the McKinley 34. Mentor pass is completed to the 30, RB carry to the 27 makes it 3rd and 4....RB to the 25 makes it 4th and 2. Mentor to go for it....QB keeper into the endzone. That's the 2nd 4th big 4th down play for Mentor. Extra point is blocked.

McKinley 6
Mentor 23

Snow is apparently falling a bit heavy and the wind is strong at the moment.

McKinley failed to cover a short kick and Mentor recovers another turnover at the McKinley 40. A short gain on first down and then the QB keeper picks up a 1st down at the McKinley 30. Ball taken to the house and the wheels have fallen all the way off for McKinley.

30-6 Mentor. 9:11 in the 3rd quarter.

Another short kick. McKinley returns the ball to their own 34. McKinley's two top receivers are out with injuries. Garrett for a gain of 16 to midfield. Garret for a short gain, QB keeper for 4 makes it 3rd and 5, no gain makes it 4th and 5 from the Mentor 44. McKinley punt is almost fumbled, but Mentor takes over on their own 9. Big gain to the 21 for a 1st down. Gain of 6, gain of 10 and another 1st down. Short gain, pass is incomplete, 3rd and long, QB keeper for another 1st down. Gain of 1, must have been a penalty because it's now 1st and 19....RB for a big gain to the McKinley 44 for a first down. Another first down for Mentor at the 31....gain of 1, QB keeper for 1, 3rd and 8...penalty on Mentor makes it 3rd and 17 with ball at the 38...pass complete to the 33...4th and 12 with 27 seconds in the quarter. Mentor pass complete for a first down at the 20. Gain of 3 and the quarter is over. Gain of 5 makes it 3rd and 2...another 1st down carry moves the ball to the 2 for a first and goal.....Mentor scores to take a 36-6 lead. Missed extra point.

Stadium is emptying out....both teams' fans.

Congrats to Mentor and best of luck the rest of the way. Gonna switch over to the Massillon game.

Last edited by just a fan; 11-09-18 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-09-18, 08:44 PM
All World

Caleb is on a distinguished road
Woody and Ross both out of the game with injuries. This is a men against boys game.
Old 11-09-18, 08:59 PM
All Region

emzie
Too many injuries, mistakes and turnovers against a very good team spells defeat for McKinley. McKinley has a very young team and will be back in the thick of things next year.
Old 11-09-18, 09:06 PM
All District

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Woody and Ross both out of the game with injuries. This is a men against boys game.
Hope Ross is ok. Looked like his leg really got tangled. Hate for him to miss the basketball season.
Old 11-09-18, 09:10 PM
All District

As expected, Mentor has controlled both sides of the line of scrimmage. Then once Kipp, Trobel or Spansel would break into the open, they were gone. Mentor obviously has had a strategy to go more to Spansel once they have the game under control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-18, 09:17 PM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzie View Post
Too many injuries, mistakes and turnovers against a very good team spells defeat for McKinley. McKinley has a very young team and will be back in the thick of things next year.
The injuries would have created a challenge, but the failure to secure the kickoff on back to back attempts was the dagger. Probably wouldn't happen again if the two teams played 20 more games. Stuff happens, but Mentor was clearly the better team.

Overall, I think it was a good season for McKinley. Probably shouldn't have lost to Perry, but otherwise won the games that they were supposed to and pulled off one mild upset.
Old 11-09-18, 09:18 PM
All Region

dopamine is an unknown quantity at this point
McKinley's defense and special teams stink. If Reardon doesn't make some moves to improve his defense expect the same next year. Its been the same thing the last 3 years. Defensive mistakes and special teams play are killing this team.
Old 11-09-18, 09:30 PM
Success is Tradition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamine View Post
McKinley's defense and special teams stink. If Reardon doesn't make some moves to improve his defense expect the same next year. Its been the same thing the last 3 years. Defensive mistakes and special teams play are killing this team.
Dude, just once, demonstrate the ability to say something positive. Or, at least refrain from your typical negativity.

McKinley's special teams had a rough night tonight....perhaps the opponent and weather had something to do with that...but they played well throughout the season.

The defense is starting 3-4 sophomores, only returned one starter from last year, and gave up a lot of weight on the line to Mentor....instead of bashing the McKinley kids and coaches, how about just congratulating the better team and wishing them well next weekend?
Old 11-09-18, 10:09 PM
All District

Triv has had the short, high kickoff strategy to eliminate returns for a long time, after getting burned with some long returns years ago. The one time they kicked it deep, it was in the end zone with no return. The short kick strategy usually drives me crazy, but it worked in Mentor's favor tonight.

Last edited by FightingCardinal; 11-09-18 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-09-18, 10:17 PM
All Region

dopamine is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
Dude, just once, demonstrate the ability to say something positive. Or, at least refrain from your typical negativity.

McKinley's special teams had a rough night tonight....perhaps the opponent and weather had something to do with that...but they played well throughout the season.

The defense is starting 3-4 sophomores, only returned one starter from last year, and gave up a lot of weight on the ts 3 straight yearsline to Mentor....instead of bashing the McKinley kids and coaches, how about just congratulating the better team and wishing them well next weekend?
Dudess, how about saying something that you got of one of you self improvement magazines like you usually do. Its 3 straight years of the same thing - a total collapse at the end of the season. "The Bulldogs are young, injuries , the boys won't listen." Time to take off the red and black glasses and tell it like it is. They had a running clock on them. Two times straight they couldn't cover a kick off. Coverage broke down on a 4th and 12. We know you're some kind of social worker but its time to see the forest for the trees. The defense stinks and they need help on the defensive side of the ball. They haven't had a decent defense since Cross left. When it happens one year or two years you can use your hackneyed excuses. Its 3 straight years and that boat doesn't float anymore. People like you are what is holding this program behind. I'll wait for you to come up with some of your phony statistics to try to make people think you're intelligent but you're a rube.
Old 11-09-18, 10:26 PM
All Ohio

starkfb
Congratulations to McKinley for being Fed champs and making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. You probably lost to the best team in the state. Good luck next year and go Perry (sorry that is my team).
Old 11-09-18, 10:28 PM
All Yappi

Wildcat97 is on a distinguished road
Next week should be good. 30 point win, not surprising. Unless Eds wins next week, will be an all Cardinals title game.
Old 11-09-18, 10:30 PM
All District

Glad to be done with this game thread and looking forward to the Ed's vs Mentor game thread that should have a lot fewer personal attacks and more game talk. Expecting another classic nailbiter.
Old 11-09-18, 10:58 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Great win for Mentor. Starts with the defense. They continue to play well. Potter was in the backfield often. Holding McKinley to 6 points was an impressive showing. It wasn’t Mentor’s very best defensive performance, but it was close.

Offensively, Kipp looked great. The offensive line played pretty well, especially in pass protection. The running backs were solid, but not necessarily spectacular. Those two kick recoveries to start the second half were huge.
Old 11-09-18, 11:30 PM
All Ohio

Congratulations to Mentor on the win, and congratulations to our kids for the fine effort they gave all year.. 9-3 and winning the first 8 games not too shabby for a team returning just one starter. Elijah Cutis and Kyree Woody go into the record books and gave us all lots of fun to watch. Losing to this Mentor team is no crime. If they stay healthy, they could finally win State this year. Good luck to them.

For next year, we need to work on getting plays in on time. Burning timeouts because of that is unacceptable in week 12. It hurt our drive just before the half where a touchdown was needed. Clock management could use better focus.

Defensively, tackling will need to be better and special teams need a review. Maybe bigger, older kids will change some of that, but we'll see.

Beating Solon to get to the second round was a good sign that the program is improving under Coach Reardon. Looking forward to another good season next year and for years to come. The days of losing seasons look gone for good now.

And one good thing about supporting McKinley sports is that the basketball team looks pretty good, although young, should be state ranked, and will be a lot of fun to watch

GO BULLDOGS!
Old 11-10-18, 12:12 AM
All District

spyros1950 is on a distinguished road
Congratulations to Mentor... also, a Thank You to Coach Triv for walking up to the McK QB (Curtis) and Injured Receiver (Ross) after the game to share words of encouragement... it was a class move by a quality coach... Good Luck going forward, sam McK'68
Old 11-10-18, 04:56 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamine View Post
The kids aren't getting it,something different must be done.
Old 11-10-18, 07:33 AM
All American

Can't make multiple mistakes against such a good team. Mentor the best team McK saw all season. Special teams cost McK valuable field position and Mentor took advantage of the errors. Once Woody was lost the chances of a quick comeback went with him.

Thanks for many entertaining games this season boys! You represented the school and community well - and you made that inspiring video as well.
Old 11-10-18, 08:17 AM
Cooling Off

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Can't make multiple mistakes against such a good team. Mentor the best team McK saw all season. Special teams cost McK valuable field position and Mentor took advantage of the errors. Once Woody was lost the chances of a quick comeback went with him.

Thanks for many entertaining games this season boys! You represented the school and community well - and you made that inspiring video as well.
Once again mck lost to every good team on its schedule.
Old 11-10-18, 12:21 PM
All American

Now that this game is over I have a question for Dave - what the heck does the title of this thread mean?
Old 11-10-18, 01:22 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
I think McKinley needs to step up on their schedule as I said. Sure you'll get blasted once and awhile. Mentor gets blasted by Eds ignatius etc sometimes too. But it toughens you up more

Crowd was pretty dead last night. Very small for McKinley. Mentor wasn't exactly our best showing either

Prayers to your injured players. The one looked like a break. Hope he heals quick

Mentor can't afford a rusty start in the games going forward. Eds and any potential future games will need a top notch effort from start to finish. Crucial penalties and dropped wide open passes gotta be cleaned up this time of year.

Very nice stadium at Brunswick. Hope we get future games there when playing stark county type teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-18, 04:56 PM
All District

THE OWNER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Now that this game is over I have a question for Dave - what the heck does the title of this thread mean?
Should everybody p.m. you to find out the injury status of Ross and Woody? I am sure you were one of the 200 McKinley fans that packed the visitor side of that Stadium.
Old 11-10-18, 05:10 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE OWNER View Post
Should everybody p.m. you to find out the injury status of Ross and Woody? I am sure you were one of the 200 McKinley fans that packed the visitor side of that Stadium.
He's a Massillon grad who would rather watch D1 football.