Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-21-19, 10:29 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
This is so tiresome that I am a voice from the private side that would rather just be done with the whole thing and separate. In particular the religious/urban bigotry associated with some of the key constituents that are loudest for separation gets really old. Also the different sides always seem to brush off other components as to why certain schools have advantages in certain sports. Things like the tradition factor and $s are just as important as drawing area for students but that seems to disappear if it doesn't work in their narrative.
Old 03-21-19, 10:53 AM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
ďthe extremely difficult decision not to recommend that the Beachwood Board of Education hire Damion Creel as head football coach for the Fall 2019 season. We have come to the conclusion that bringing Coach Creel back would jeopardize the standing of our football program and that of its student-athletes and their families, who are highly invested in its success. The reason for this decision is rooted in the findings of an investigation into recruiting allegations made by an anonymous source several months ago. ď

ďBut I thought private schools recruit? Public schools donít ever recruit!Ē Yeah goes to show it happens everywhere, even Beachwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-19, 11:09 AM
All Ohio

Tesoro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Town216 View Post
ďthe extremely difficult decision not to recommend that the Beachwood Board of Education hire Damion Creel as head football coach for the Fall 2019 season. We have come to the conclusion that bringing Coach Creel back would jeopardize the standing of our football program and that of its student-athletes and their families, who are highly invested in its success. The reason for this decision is rooted in the findings of an investigation into recruiting allegations made by an anonymous source several months ago. ď

ďBut I thought private schools recruit? Public schools donít ever recruit!Ē Yeah goes to show it happens everywhere, even Beachwood.

WHo ever said they never recruit?
Old 03-21-19, 11:41 AM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Private School State Championships Donít Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesoro View Post
WHo ever said they never recruit?

Iíve heard it from folks outside of yappi and this thread

Last edited by C'Town216; 03-21-19 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-21-19, 05:17 PM
All American

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
It simply means that a particular class of schools that represents 15% of the total participation does not continue to win 70% of the championships.

Nobody is saying that participation and championship has to align, but the imbalance is so agregious that it can not be ignored.
In your opinion, what should the proper balance be? You've commented on this enough that you have to have an opinion. What percent of state titles can private schools win to have a proper balance?
Old 03-21-19, 05:57 PM
All American

ProV1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
In your opinion, what should the proper balance be? You've commented on this enough that you have to have an opinion. What percent of state titles can private schools win to have a proper balance?
There is not a magic number...just not one that is so epically lopsided.
Old 03-21-19, 06:27 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Going back 29 years is irrelevant to the conversation. What happened 29 years ago is not an indicator of today. Look at the trend line. If you look at D1 over the last 10 years, itís like 80% in football, 100% in wrestling, 60% in soccer, and 40% - 50% in baseball and basketball. If you look over the last 5 years, those numbers are even higher. Folks can dismiss that but I predict itís going to continue. Coaches are frustrated, I know it is a major subject in recent years at the state coaches association meetings. Iím pretty sure the basketball coaches will be talking about it again this week.
The public school coaches that are frustrated need to talk to their ADs. They have all of the power. If the private schools were frustrated they have almost no recourse.
Old 03-21-19, 07:54 PM
All American

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There is not a magic number...just not one that is so epically lopsided.
You mentioned 70% which you apparently believe is unacceptable. So, 20%? 40%? Every year many people complain that private schools win too high of a percentage of state titles. When I ask what percentage would be acceptable one ever gives me a number. Not sure why everyone is so afraid to give an opinion. I'm guessing most would prefer 0%-10%. Actually I'm guessing most would want the private schools to win 100% in their own private school tournament.
Old 03-21-19, 08:27 PM
All American

ProV1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
You mentioned 70% which you apparently believe is unacceptable. So, 20%? 40%? Every year many people complain that private schools win too high of a percentage of state titles. When I ask what percentage would be acceptable one ever gives me a number. Not sure why everyone is so afraid to give an opinion. I'm guessing most would prefer 0%-10%. Actually I'm guessing most would want the private schools to win 100% in their own private school tournament.
OK... 30%??? I donít know. I donít have any issue with private schools. Iím all for them. I am just for competitive championships.
Old 03-22-19, 11:33 AM
All District

nc green wave is on a distinguished road
The fact is that MOST private schools are not successful when it comes to athletics. Everyone wants to generalize and lump all private schools together.

I know that this is a basketball thread but football is also being discussed. In football there are a handful of schools that have won half of all of the private state titles.

Why punish the majority for the success of the minority?
Old 03-22-19, 01:15 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc green wave View Post
The fact is that MOST private schools are not successful when it comes to athletics. Everyone wants to generalize and lump all private schools together.

I know that this is a basketball thread but football is also being discussed. In football there are a handful of schools that have won half of all of the private state titles.

Why punish the majority for the success of the minority?
Anti Catholic anything
Old 03-22-19, 01:23 PM
All District

BigPSH is on a distinguished road
Honestly all of these ideas I see being thrown out only help the large public schools while small schools get the shaft. I think it is fine how it is.