Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-17-19, 10:13 AM
All Yappi

bdhof will become famous soon enough
Strangest NCAA Seeds

I listened to a little bit of Flo's FLR where they were griping about NCAA seeds. It was pretty much a pity party where they complained that the "experts" (which means the guys at Flo and other ranking venues) get left out and the coaches have the major say in the seeds. While I don't disagree with them, there are cases where the experts can't agree. For example, everyone has PSU 184 Rasheed at #2 except Flo which has him at #6. And I doubt there will be a consensus at 285 where everyone ditched consensus #1 Steveson, MINN, but are split on either White, OKST, or Cassar, PSU, for #1. This is a case where A beat B, B beat C, and C beat A., For the most part, there wasn't a big difference in the coaches ranking and the ranking venues (Flo, IM, WIN, TW, AWN and TOM). And the coaches rankings only play a part in the NCAA seeds, 15% to be exact. Here's the other part:
1. Head-to-head competition — 25 percent
2. Quality wins — 20 percent
3. Coaches Ranking — 15 percent
4. Results against common opponents — 10 percent
5. RPI — 10 percent
6. Qualifying event placement — 10 percent
7. Win % — 10 percent

The coaches on the seed committee do have the ability to adjust the seeds, but not to any great extent. And this adjustment likely is not as common at the top of the seeds as much as with lower seeds.

All that being said, there were some strange seeds. Feel free to add your favorite "strange seed."

Last edited by bdhof; 03-17-19 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-19, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

141 Mike Carr, ILL, placed 8th in B10s while seeded 1st (above Lee, PSU, and McKenna, tOSU) and was awarded the 6th seed in NCAAs. And he didn't do the MF thing. He just lost to #16 Red, NEB, #11 Moran, WIS, and #22 Murin, IOWA. So much for H2H.
Old 03-17-19, 10:27 AM
All Yappi

Perhaps my favorite strange seed is 285 Stoll, IOWA, getting the 29 seed. He was a consensus #1 at the beginning of the season. He's certainly not what he was, but I don't know that #4 seed Wood, LEH, is happy about that round 1 matchup.
Old 03-17-19, 10:30 AM
All Yappi

And speaking about rough round 1 matchups, #1 seed 165 Marinelli, IOWA, gets 2x AA Joe Smith, who got seeded #33. I think Marinelli wins that bout, but that's a tough round 1 match for the #1 seed.
Old 03-17-19, 10:34 AM
All Yappi

I thought it a little odd that 133 Micic, MICH, only dropped one spot to the #2 seed after MF'ing to 6th in the B10s. Especially since returning NCAA champ 157 Nolf, PSU, got dropped to #3 last year for doing the same thing.

Last edited by bdhof; 03-17-19 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-17-19, 10:41 AM
All Yappi

Marinelli, BTW, after his round 1 match with Joe Smith gets Mekhi Lewis (VT) in the 1/4s and Wick, WIS, or Chance Marsteller (LH) in the semis. There waiting for him in the finals will be 2x NCAA champ Joseph, PSU. I guess that's why they call it the NCAAs. I don't think any #1s have a tougher trip to the finals.
Old 03-17-19, 10:43 AM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
And speaking about rough round 1 matchups, #1 seed 165 Marinelli, IOWA, gets 2x AA Joe Smith, who got seeded #33. I think Marinelli wins that bout, but that's a tough round 1 match for the #1 seed.
Marinelli has a very tough road all the way through. Winning B1G's didn't do him any favors.
Old 03-17-19, 10:44 AM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Amar Dhesi getting the 7 at 285 is crazy. He's 10-1 on the season with ZERO good wins. His best win is AJ Nevills and he lost to Mason Parris. He wrestled like two NCAA qualifiers on the year. The fact that Hillger, Stencel, and Thomas are all ranked below him is bad.

Pantaleo getting the 4 seed when Deakin (who he beat pretty good a week ago) get the 3 is odd. Pantaleo's losses are Nolf twice, Deakin (later flipped), Pagdilao, Sasso/Lewan (don't count for seeding since they didn't wrestle attached), and Thomsen (don't think it counts since it happened at 149). Deakin lost to Bleise, Pantaleo, Nolf, and Berger. Pantaleo outplaced him at conferences with a H2H win. The difference between the 3 and the 4 is huge at 157, where the 3 seed gets a path to the finals that doesn't include seeing Nolf.
Old 03-17-19, 10:48 AM
All World

Quote:
Perhaps my favorite strange seed is 285 Stoll, IOWA, getting the 29 seed. He was a consensus #1 at the beginning of the season. He's certainly not what he was, but I don't know that #4 seed Wood, LEH, is happy about that round 1 matchup.
29 seed with 1st round upset all over it.
Old 03-17-19, 10:53 AM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
29 seed with 1st round upset all over it.
Stoll just lost to Jacob Aven from Purdue. Idk how much the big man has left in the tank.
Old 03-17-19, 10:54 AM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Sell me why Stoll lost on purpose to Jacob Aven from Purdue in the consi's at B10s? Did T&T know for sure he'd get a triple-extra at-large big? I wanna stick with my pick of Stoll beating Wood....but just....can't....do...it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
Stoll just lost to Jacob Aven from Purdue. Idk how much the big man has left in the tank.
^ this.
Old 03-17-19, 10:56 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
Understood. I have to believe he has at least one more match in him.
Old 03-17-19, 11:04 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by said_aouita View Post
Sell me why Stoll lost on purpose to Jacob Aven from Purdue in the consi's at B10s? Did T&T know for sure he'd get a triple-extra at-large big? I wanna stick with my pick of Stoll beating Wood....but just....can't....do...it!

^ this.
Stoll was the last at large to get in. I think he's dangerous early in a tournament, but can't see him getting on the podium. He'd never beat the top three, but on day 1 he could go with #4 Wood.
Old 03-17-19, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by said_aouita View Post
I think Stoll was the most picks of anyone in the B10s as a #8 seed - more than any other seed. If you like him as an 8, you'll love him as a 29. I meant to post "most common picks" but had a hectic weekend.
Old 03-17-19, 11:18 AM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think Stoll was the most picks of anyone in the B10s as a #8 seed - more than any other seed. If you like him as an 8, you'll love him as a 29. I meant to post "most common picks" but had a hectic weekend.
I didn't like him as an 8, but am a goof and followed everyone else. This week I'm again a goof for following a lot of people at 285.
Old 03-17-19, 12:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I just checked this and Stoll was 2nd in most picks overall with 56 to McKenna with 60.
Old 03-17-19, 11:36 PM
All Ohio

CincyWrestler is on a distinguished road
Don't forget my favorite seeding blunder of the tourney. Mason Paris is 0-3 against Conan Jennings this season, that's right, they wrestled 3 times and Conan won all 3. So it makes perfect sense that Paris is the 5 seed and Jenninga is the 12 seed. They also meet in the 2nd round.
Old 03-18-19, 06:57 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I thought it a little odd that 133 Micic, MICH, only dropped one spot to the #2 seed after MF'ing to 6th in the B10s. Especially since returning NCAA champ 157 Nolf, PSU, got dropped to #3 last year for doing the same thing.
Maybe the committee learned from last year that slotting Nolf at the "3" was really just a punishment for the bottom half of the bracket???