Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-20-18, 07:47 PM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
NCAA proposed rule changes. Will trickle down?

Interesting. Exchange zone proposed to be 30 meters, eliminating acceleration zone. Field event trials (PV excepted) to begin within 30 seconds of athlete being notified they are 'up'. And more. https://www.ncaa.com/news/trackfield...ommended-track
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-18, 08:24 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
LOL.

All these years I've been hearing about how "they don't have these silly uniform rules in college" (in reality, the NFHS and NCAA uniform rules were actually pretty similar for a long time). Now, after the NFHS decided to relax some of the uniform rules, the NCAA is recommending theirs be more strict.
Old 06-20-18, 09:34 PM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofrunning View Post
Interesting. Exchange zone proposed to be 30 meters, eliminating acceleration zone. Field event trials (PV excepted) to begin within 30 seconds of athlete being notified they are 'up'. And more. https://www.ncaa.com/news/trackfield...ommended-track
I think they're going to have difficulties with the 30 second rule in the throwing events, particularly the hammer throw. The reason? Many facilities don't have large concrete pads by which to wipe one's throwing shoes on prior to getting onto an all-too-common 10' x 10' concrete throwing pad. Under rainy conditions, many facilities become mud pits around the pad, and 30 seconds is not enough time. I'd ignore the "rule" if I were officiating under those circumstances. With regard to the hammer throw, officials better not call an athlete "up" unless the cage doors have already been adjusted. That wouldn't be fair or safe. Set the doors first, then call the athlete "up". I'm glad to see the PV community screamed bloody murder at the NCAA and that they listened to keep the 1 minute rule...it used to be 2 minutes in my day!

Back to the 30 second rule. I think don't think it's going to speed things up like they think it is. Most meets I've ever attended (800+?), the officials were the slowest people on the field. Slow in coordinating...slow in moving (particularly out of the way of flying implements)...slow in most things. That's understandable. Age does that to the mind and body. Officials are the biggest reason for the "slowness" of the conduct of most events.
Old 06-20-18, 10:00 PM
All American

lane4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofrunning View Post
Interesting. Exchange zone proposed to be 30 meters, eliminating acceleration zone.
At the college level it makes sense, as it aligns with what is already the rule internationally. I don't see it trickling down to high school, as the cost of remarking tracks would be a major sticking point.
Old 06-21-18, 06:24 AM
All Region

fanofrunning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane4 View Post
At the college level it makes sense, as it aligns with what is already the rule internationally. I don't see it trickling down to high school, as the cost of remarking tracks would be a major sticking point.
For the sake of this discussion, assume the rule is adopted at NCAA level and at some point the NFHS also adopts this rule. New and refinished tracks could be marked accordingly, but would schools have to do anything expensive to existing tracks and markings? The small triangle already is there that denotes the beginning of the acceleration zone. Now that small triangle would indicate the beginning of the zone. An official would have to make sure the athlete is inside of that triangle when setting up, but would no longer have to be concerned with the exchange happening too soon. Or is it not as simple as I am imagining it?
Old 06-21-18, 08:13 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
It would be possible to just use existing marks as you note. So I dont think wed have to immediately remark tracks. But I would guess they would want tracks used for tournaments to have the correct marks.
Old 06-21-18, 10:07 AM
All Region

Finishtiming is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane4 View Post
It will trickle down to HS as most major state championship meets are held a NCAA schools so there will not be another mark. We were told that it will follow thru each. So IAAF was first and now NCAA should follow then NFHS in the next year after ncaa. Remarking a track will not cost much of anything as the mark is already there and if you want you can just have someone come in and paint the small triangle to be bigger and then black out the old one.
Old 06-21-18, 10:42 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
The exchange zone change was on the survey I received a few months ago from the NFHS about rule changes that were being considered. So, it's already on their radar.

And yes, it should not require any remarking of existing tracks. You basically just ignore the old incoming line/arrow.