Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-19-17, 09:10 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
2017 d2/r6

Here we go again, in this mish-mash of a region that spreads from Toledo to Cleveland.

Amherst
Anthony Wayne
Avon
Avon Lake
Toledo Bowsher
Oregon Clay
Tiffin Columbian
Fremont Ross
Highland
Lakewood
Midview
Normandy
North Olmsted
North Ridgeville
North Royalton
Olmsted Falls
Parma
Perrysburg
Holland Springfield
Toledo St Francis de Sales
Toledo St John's Jesuit
Sylvania Northview
Sylvania Southview
Valley Forge
Wadsworth
Toledo Waite
Westlake

I have my eight that will make the playoffs in bold, but at least a couple are not solid picks. I could see Wadsworth, Amherst, Perrysburg, Westlake or North Ridgeville slipping in to the eight.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-17, 07:41 PM
All Ohio

OmegaTheZip is on a distinguished road
Anthony Wayne
Avon
Avon Lake
Highland
Midview
Perrysburg
Toledo St John's Jesuit
Wadsworth

Honorable Mention: Holland Springfield; Westlake

I like wadsworth but we'll see if they can find consistency; 7-3 would have them on the outside looking in.
Old 08-19-17, 08:15 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Avon highland in regional fi n al.
Old 08-22-17, 09:12 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Avon highland in regional fi n al.
I would put Toledo SJJ, Springfield and Anthony Wayne in that mix, too...but after last year, when Avon, Midview, Springfield and Glenville all went down to defeat in Round One, who knows?
Old 08-22-17, 10:41 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
SJJ will more than likely go 6-4 or 5-5. They have a tough road in the TRAC.

Avon
Avon Lake
Springfield
Anthony Wayne
Perrysburg
Midview
Olmstead Falls
Highland
Old 08-27-17, 09:22 AM
All Yappi

Week One is in the books. Some interesting results, as always.

- The SWC power trio of Avon, Midview and Olmsted Falls all had come from behind wins over playoff caliber opponents (Merritt Island (FL), Lorain, Brecksville)

- Two NLL favorites, Perrysburg and Springfield, took substantial losses...especially the Yellow Jackets, who were crushed by Dublin Coffman and still have to face Toledo SJJ and Whitmer before starting conference play.

- Fremont Ross vaulted into the playoff mix with a win over Springfield. Can they get enough wins in the TRAC to get them in? Not sure, but they picked up a good Week One win.

- Toledo St John's Jesuit took a tough loss to a local Michigan team. They are another TRAC team with little margin for error.

- Highland had a very solid win over what should be an improved Brunswick team.

- All other region team wins and losses were pretty much expected, but a shout out to Normandy. They broke a 41 game losing streak against D6 Wellington and have a great shot at moving to 2-0 this week against hapless Cleveland Lincoln-West. Good for them!

Big games for Week Two:

Winners in bold.

Avon (1-0) at Olmsted Falls (1-0) -- Already into conference play in the SWC. I like Avon's diversity on offense over the Bulldogs rush-heavy attack.

Medina (1-0 D1) at Highland (1-0) -- The battle of the stinging, flying insects in Medina County! I'll take the Hornets over the Bees.

Toledo SJJ (0-1) at Perrysburg (0-1) -- Wow! This almost feels like an elimination game already. I'll go with SJJ to keep Perrysburg winless.

There are a few games involving unbeatens, but as of today I don't believe any of those teams will threaten to make the playoffs.
Old 08-27-17, 10:18 AM
All American

FremontKeith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post

- The SWC power trio of Avon, Midview and Olmsted Falls all had come from behind wins over playoff caliber opponents (Merritt Island (FL), Lorain, Brecksville)

- Two NLL favorites, Perrysburg and Springfield, took substantial losses...especially the Yellow Jackets, who were crushed by Dublin Coffman and still have to face Toledo SJJ and Whitmer before starting conference play.

- Fremont Ross vaulted into the playoff mix with a win over Springfield. Can they get enough wins in the TRAC to get them in? Not sure, but they picked up a good Week One win.

- Toledo St John's Jesuit took a tough loss to a local Michigan team. They are another TRAC team with little margin for error.

- All other region team wins and losses were pretty much expected, but a shout out to Normandy. They broke a 41 game losing streak against D6 Wellington and have a great shot at moving to 2-0 this week against hapless Cleveland Lincoln-West. Good for them!

Big games for Week Two:

Winners in bold.

Avon (1-0) at Olmsted Falls (1-0) -- Already into conference play in the SWC. I like Avon's diversity on offense over the Bulldogs rush-heavy attack.

Medina (1-0 D1) at Highland (1-0) -- The battle of the stinging, flying insects in Medina County! I'll take the Hornets over the Bees.

Toledo SJJ (0-1) at Perrysburg (0-1) -- Wow! This almost feels like an elimination game already. I'll go with SJJ to keep Perrysburg winless.

There are a few games involving unbeatens, but as of today I don't believe any of those teams will threaten to make the playoffs.

I like this thread and look forward to it every year. Thanks for doing it.
Old 08-27-17, 10:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontKeith View Post
I like this thread and look forward to it every year. Thanks for doing it.
You're welcome! I hope we have a lot of contributors this year.

I have always enjoyed having my team be a part of this region. It's an interesting mix, covering Cleveland to Toledo, suburban, urban and even a few rural schools.

I enjoy getting the word from the locals on the Toledo area teams. For example, how good is the Bedford (MI) school that beat SJJ? What does Ross have this year? Is this the year the Little Giants return to the playoffs?
Old 08-27-17, 03:14 PM
All Ohio

Roscoe is on a distinguished road
Bedford is a solid MI team. They went to regionals last year and have made the playoffs almost regularly in the last decade.

Don't get too excited about Ross just yet. The TRAC schedule is brutal and I think they will struggle to get over the 5-5 mark. Starting with the Sandusky game they have a 6 week stretch of playoff caliber teams.
Old 08-27-17, 10:29 PM
All American

FremontKeith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
Bedford is a solid MI team. They went to regionals last year and have made the playoffs almost regularly in the last decade.

Don't get too excited about Ross just yet. The TRAC schedule is brutal and I think they will struggle to get over the 5-5 mark. Starting with the Sandusky game they have a 6 week stretch of playoff caliber teams.
Very good point. One game at a time.
Old 08-28-17, 11:52 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Sandusky should be winnable, though, and would be a very nice win for Ross to supply them with Harbin's.
Old 08-28-17, 01:04 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
This region alot6 harder to make playoffs than pathetic region 5.
Old 08-28-17, 05:26 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
I figured a lot would have Avon, Midview, and Olmsteads Falls. But I'm surprised a lot are picking Avon Lake to make the playoffs. Didn't they lose a lot plus their QB. Thoughts on why people are picking them to make it. I love seeing games in that league, but I did not have Avon Lake on my radar as a team to see this year. I may change that based on the responses to this. Thanks for any input.
Old 08-28-17, 10:29 PM
All Ohio

Roscoe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sandusky should be winnable, though, and would be a very nice win for Ross to supply them with Harbin's.
Huh? Sandusky is loaded this year. Their QB is going to Michigan St. They should go 10-0 and be on a collision course with Toledo Central Catholic.
Old 08-28-17, 10:56 PM
All Ohio

OmegaTheZip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
This region alot6 harder to make playoffs than pathetic region 5.
Not sure if I would call R5 pathetic.
Old 08-29-17, 03:33 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Don't sleep on Anthony Wayne. Their 2nd year coach has really turned their program around. I don't think they skip a beat from last year's success.
Old 08-29-17, 05:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1disciple View Post
Don't sleep on Anthony Wayne. Their 2nd year coach has really turned their program around. I don't think they skip a beat from last year's success.
They are one of my regional championship contenders.

Where did the coach come from, prior to AW?
Old 08-29-17, 05:23 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Huh? Sandusky is loaded this year. Their QB is going to Michigan St. They should go 10-0 and be on a collision course with Toledo Central Catholic.
Yes, but they are an SBC team facing a TRAC team. That should at least give Ross a chance, assuming the win over Springfield was not a fluke.
Old 08-29-17, 05:51 AM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Olmsted Falls
Avon
Highland
Anthony Wayne
Avon Lake
Midview
Fremont Ross
Wadsworth
Springfield
Perrysburg
St John's
N Royalton
Old 08-29-17, 06:22 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They are one of my regional championship contenders.

Where did the coach come from, prior to AW?
He had been the DC at Perrysburg for several years. They truly hated to see him go.
Of course, they LOVE him at AW!
Old 08-29-17, 06:06 PM
All Ohio

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Watch out for Wadsworth. They usually have just enough size and speed to compete with anyone.
Old 08-30-17, 08:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
He had been the DC at Perrysburg for several years. They truly hated to see him go.
Of course, they LOVE him at AW!
That makes sense. Perrysburg always had those fundamentally sound, very physical defenses.

He obviously brought that attitude to Anthony Wayne.
Old 08-30-17, 08:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
Watch out for Wadsworth. They usually have just enough size and speed to compete with anyone.
I had them on the cusp of my eight playoff teams. Not because I don't think they are not as good as some of the predicted playoff teams, but because I'm not sure if they will get enough wins to qualify for post-season. They will be a tough out if they do, though I would be more nervous about them if Dennison was still coach. They were guaranteed to be a tough team for anyone to handle when he was head coach at Wadsworth.
Old 09-02-17, 08:29 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Big games for Week Two:

Winners in bold.

Week Two brought a little more clarity to this region, though not enough to be sure about anything. Avon, Highland and SJJ all won fairly comfortably, as I expected. Nothing shocking happened in Week Two, but it was nice to again see Normandy win. After ending their 41 game losing streak, they are 2-0 and with a realistic shot at moving to 4-0, and even 5-0, before they are certain to taste defeat.

On to the Week Three big games! Winners in bold.

Highland (2-0) at North Royalton (2-0) -- Even though both are unbeaten, Highland will roll to 3-0 fairly easily in this one.

Avon Lake (1-1) at Avon (2-0) -- I only include this one because Avon will be breathing fire after last season's Week 11 playoff loss to the Shoremen and will take it out on AL next Friday.

North Olmsted (2-0) at Midview (2-0) -- North Olmsted has a very nice RB in Anders, but Midview has the complete team and talent advantage. Middies pull away.

Sandusky (2-0 D3) at Fremont Ross (2-0) -- This is the biggest game in a while in this ancient rivalry. I'll give Ross a puncher's chance (anyone remember Derek Isaman?) in this one, but the Streaks have some serious athletes and should win it.

Clyde (2-0 D3) at Anthony Wayne (2-0) -- Clyde is not going to back down to anyone, but I'm a believer in the Generals.

Springfield (1-1) at Worthington Kilbourne (1-1) -- This is pretty much a must win for Springfield, or they reduce their margin of error to a razor's edge. I think they will get it done down in Cbus.

Mansfield (2-0 D3) at Toledo St John's Jesuit (1-1) -- With the TRAC schedule upcoming, this is a must win for the Titans. They will be challenged by the Tygers, but the Titans will prevail.

I see Wadsworth, Amherst and Northview all moving to 3-0 on the season after next Friday is done.

This is already a pivotal week in R6.
Old 09-02-17, 08:48 AM
All Yappi

Avon TE Vlasi Pappas last night. It was a Top 10 play last night on ESPN SportsCenter, and ESPN has it nominated for Catch of the Year.
Old 09-03-17, 12:40 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Avon Lake (1-1) at Avon (2-0) -- I only include this one because Avon will be breathing fire after last season's Week 11 playoff loss to the Shoremen and will take it out on AL at home.

This is already a pivotal week in R6.
Here is the backhand Jab I was thinking of. Had my threads confused. I guess Avon lake fans should be grateful you only included this because...
Old 09-03-17, 06:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S. Furgeson View Post
Here is the backhand Jab I was thinking of. Had my threads confused. I guess Avon lake fans should be grateful you only included this because...
Relax. It's only my prediction. I know the team is preparing hard for AL, as always. I happen to think Avon will pull away for a fairly comfortable win, but in the SWC any win is a good win.

There, sadly, aren't many AL fans left on here. There used to be quite a few, and we heard many a "little brother" reference to Avon in the "We Suck Conference" for a few years, but that died out when Avon took the upper hand on the field.

I think the rivalry is on solid footing. I wish Dave was still coaching AL, but hopefully his protege will continue the tradition.

I would like to see North Ridgeville and Westlake take off in football, as well. It would be fun to have a few massive border war games each season.
Old 09-03-17, 06:57 PM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Quite relaxed. As a long time LC resident I must say...your agenda towards Avon Lake is obvious but somewhat appreciated. You certainly feel as though Avon will be the little nephew (niece is more like it) until they win a state title. But you lean hard on recent success which only resonates with a few of us because Avon has not...and may never will win a state title.

I understand where you are coming from and yes Avon has had the upper hand lately. But who really cares...the shoremen, and the falls have the hardware. Avon has a trip to Florida and some conference crowns. And a bunch of losses to midview and some oooooo so close playloff runs and an articulate fan.
Old 09-03-17, 07:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.S. Furgeson View Post
Quite relaxed. As a long time LC resident I must say...your agenda towards Avon Lake is obvious but somewhat appreciated. You certainly feel as though Avon will be the little nephew (niece is more like it) until they win a state title. But you lean hard on recent success which only resonates with a few of us because Avon has not...and may never will win a state title.

I understand where you are coming from and yes Avon has had the upper hand lately. But who really cares...the shoremen, and the falls have the hardware. Avon has a trip to Florida and some conference crowns. And a bunch of losses to midview and some oooooo so close playloff runs and an articulate fan.
I have no agenda regarding Avon Lake, other than it was a good measuring stick for Avon as the community grew and Mike Elder was building the football program. At some point, Avon passed up AL in the area football hierarchy. So did Midview, in fact. From what I've seen, though, Avon Lake is strong in the lower grades and may be back to their old selves soon. Falls is in good shape, too. A lot of excellent coaches in the SWC right now.

Avon had a shot at a state title in 2011, but ran into a better team...sort of like AL did against Brookhaven. If I had to bet on it, though, I'd bet Avon winning a state title before AL sees another.
Old 09-03-17, 08:49 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Highland looks very good. I think they beat North Royalton by a decent margin. Highland's toughest conference games are Aurora and Barberton weeks 7 and 10.

Wadsworth's biggest issue is their tough conference schedule, but I do think they win enough to get in and once they are in they're going to be a tough draw.

I would LOVE to see a Highland vs Wadsworth playoff matchup, especially this year with both teams strong.