Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Select the GOAT OH HS Wrestler. Post HS info is just FYI.
Lee Kemp 1974 (see commentary below) 5 7.69%
Alan Fried 1989 (see commentary below) 22 33.85%
Harry Lester 2001 (see commentary below) 5 7.69%
David Taylor 2009 (see commentary below) 10 15.38%
Logan Stieber 2010 (see commentary below) 23 35.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-18, 12:17 PM
All World

bdhof will become famous soon enough
Palmer took the early lead and looked too strong for Taylor but the 3rd period was all Taylor as he came back for the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-18, 09:13 PM
Varsity

UsedToBe103 is on a distinguished road
The bio for David Taylor says that he was a 2008 Olympic Team Trials qualifier, but he is not listed in the brackets from that event (http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/ope...7918&pageName=), so I'm guessing he chose not to compete. That would have been in between his junior and senior years of high school - I'm guessing he qualified at 55 kg? Can anyone confirm this? Any other info, such as who he beat and at what event to qualify, is also appreciated.

Last edited by UsedToBe103; 07-15-18 at 09:15 PM. Reason: adding url
Old 07-15-18, 11:00 PM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedToBe103 View Post
The bio for David Taylor says that he was a 2008 Olympic Team Trials qualifier, but he is not listed in the brackets from that event (http://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/ope...7918&pageName=), so I'm guessing he chose not to compete. That would have been in between his junior and senior years of high school - I'm guessing he qualified at 55 kg? Can anyone confirm this? Any other info, such as who he beat and at what event to qualify, is also appreciated.
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestlin...-Trials--18442

Found a list of those who qualified, looks like it may have been a mistake.
Old 07-16-18, 08:45 AM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPreusse View Post

if anyone has it, show Taylor as a junior moving up a wt to beat another HS 4xer senior Colin Palmer in a dual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
I was at the Palmer vs Taylor match @ SPG - the best dual I’ve seen in 49 years of wrestling/coaching/watching the sport. I think SPG went on to a #1 National ranking that year.
You'll never realize how loud the old Graham gym could be, unless you were at this match. Your insides literally were vibrating.

Ya I'm a homer, but if you look at all the matches from FR. to SR. year for DT, Graham's schedule was tougher than M-ville.
First finals match as a HS FR in your home gym is against cadet national champ Ben Sergent. Second week as a FR is Ironman. DT revenged the loss to Sergent, and then beat Boris Nutjob in the finals as a FR.

(edit) I'm not looking it up, but did Stieber ever jump more than one weight class, while in HS?

Last edited by said_aouita; 07-16-18 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-16-18, 09:59 AM
All World

That Taylor-Palmer match is a classic. I drove a couple of hours to find St. Paris so I could attend the match. On the way we drove thru Yellow Springs, where we saw an old hippie (gray hair with a pony tail) holding a sign saying, "Stop the war!" I remarked to my wife that from the looks of him he has probably been on that corner holding that sign since the Vietnam war. I'm not sure how St. Paris ever could have found that town named after him. It is literally in the middle of nowhere. Even more amazing is that someone (named Jordan) managed to build one of the nation's best programs in such a remote place.

The video portrays how jam packed the gym was, and they didn't give discounts for Standing Room Only. The only person from St. Paris not there was the Fire Marshall. There was a noteworthy contingent from Cleveland, but by and large, the place was packed with a hometown crowd and folks from the Dayton area, most of whom were cheering for David over Goliath. This was still at the time when D2 SPG was normally considered the underdog when competing with D1 Eds.

The dual was an electric atmosphere. And the Taylor-Palmer match was the match that everyone was hoping to see. If I remember correctly, this match was rumored as a possibility at the time, but no one knew for sure until Taylor stepped on the mat. It was considered a risky move. A loss by Taylor could have put SPG at risk of losing the dual and their aspirations of a national title. They won the match, the dual and a national title as well (I think).
Old 07-17-18, 11:23 AM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
As we head into the late stages of the yappi GOAT voting, it appears Stieber has opened up a comfortable lead on Fried. Stieber now looking to stall out the final days in hopes of being named the high school GOAT of Ohio wrestling.

On another note, I'd like a mulligan for my vote for Kemp. If I take away my vote for him, and use it as a write-in vote for myself, I'll tie him for 5th place with 1 vote each!
Old 07-17-18, 12:14 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope Francis 1 View Post
As we head into the late stages of the yappi GOAT voting, it appears Stieber has opened up a comfortable lead on Fried. Stieber now looking to stall out the final days in hopes of being named the high school GOAT of Ohio wrestling.

On another note, I'd like a mulligan for my vote for Kemp. If I take away my vote for him, and use it as a write-in vote for myself, I'll tie him for 5th place with 1 vote each!

Kemp has 2 votes. You’d be in 6th place out of 5 nominees. And no mulligans are allowed.

Old 07-18-18, 10:24 AM
All World

I"ll probably wrap this up today or tomorrow as it seems things are slowing down.

Before doing so, I have to talk off topic a bit about Dan Gable. In HS Gable was undefeated going 64-0 (could not compete as freshman) with 25 pins. While we didn't have all the hype with recruiting back then, my guess is that he was a prized recruit from Iowa, staying in-state and attending national powerhouse Iowa State. Freshmen couldn't compete on the varsity during that era in college, but he managed to have a pretty good year anyway, going 17-0 with 9 pins. Competing at the Midlands that year, he beat Behm (MSU) 10-5, who would finish that season as an NCAA runner-up. Sophomore year saw him go undefeated again, 37-0 with 18 pins. And he was just getting warmed up. He would go 31-0 with 26 pins (and 2 FFs) as a junior, and win his first 35 matches of his senior year with an astonishing 32 pins. I'm not sure that anyone other than Dan Hodge can match Gable's pin rate.

Dan Gable will never be in the discussion as the GOAT NCAA wrestler. His final loss to Larry Owings ended that. And he will never be in the discussion as USA's GOAT. Although 2 World titles is impressive, Smith, Burroughs, Baumgartner and Snyder all have exceeded his accomplishments. But he was the man back in the day. The 1970s was a time of rising popularity for wrestling, and Dan Gable, in a large part, was the driver of that popularity.
Old 07-18-18, 12:19 PM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
All the Stieber love kinda surprises me to be honest.

Four time state champ (Non-D1), three time Ironman champ, one high school loss to a top recruit (in freshman year), top recruit in country, goes to Ohio State.

That's Logan Stieber, but it's also Bo Jordan, who didn't make it out of the opening round of voting. I guess, if youre including college/international results you could pick him, but Taylor has less college losses and better international wins.
Old 07-18-18, 12:25 PM
All Ohio

Huge is on a distinguished road
I think many would argue Gable IS the goat and IS in fact THE legend in USA wrestling. His domininance in college and the Olympics he won are insNe. He's got my vote. Also, I agree on Bo Jordan and Felipe and Chris Phillips were pretty dominant as well and never even made the prelims. Lots of greatness. We are all witnesses...
Old 07-18-18, 12:48 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
All the Stieber love kinda surprises me to be honest.
If the cats who were around when Al was wrestling were voting...I believe it would be different results.
Its easier to remember Steiber than Fried. Probably the same goes for the others in the poll as well. (Kemp especially)
Steiber is/was a bad@$$ , but he wasn't Fried.
Pile on if you like if you see fit.

Last edited by MPhillips; 07-18-18 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 12:55 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge View Post
I think many would argue Gable IS the goat and IS in fact THE legend in USA wrestling. His domininance in college and the Olympics he won are insNe. He's got my vote.
I personally wouldn't give him the GOAT but would give him THE Legend. Although those debates would be interesting. The day he lost to Owings the wrestling world was in shock - w/o a doubt the biggest upset in NCAA history. Owings would win his first and last NCAA title that year, losing in the finals to Darrell Keller, OKST, in 1971 and Ohio's own Tom Milkovich, MSU, in 1972.

Old 07-18-18, 01:34 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I personally wouldn't give him the GOAT but would give him THE Legend. Although those debates would be interesting. The day he lost to Owings the wrestling world was in shock - w/o a doubt the biggest upset in NCAA history. Owings would win his first and last NCAA title that year, losing in the finals to Darrell Keller, OKST, in 1971 and Ohio's own Tom Milkovich, MSU, in 1972.

Man that video was either in slow motion or both guys were dead tired the whole match...
Old 07-18-18, 01:40 PM
All American

BobPreusse is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=bdhof;7069928] I'm not sure that anyone other than Dan Hodge can match Gable's pin rate.

Gable was among the very greatest college pinners as was Hodge. But there are several others in that class. NCAA records for career pins belong to Wade Schalles with 106 and Gene Mills with 107. Gable with 72 and Hodge with 36 wrestled less matches but had very high pin rates, Gables being the 2nd highest ever. (Heck Hodge's career he only wr 48 matches.) Two others are hwts Jess Lewis --and Chris Taylor who had THE highest pin rate. Those are probably the Big 6 of college pinners.
Old 07-18-18, 03:05 PM
All World

[QUOTE=BobPreusse;7070092]
Quote:
I'm not sure that anyone other than Dan Hodge can match Gable's pin rate.

Gable was among the very greatest college pinners as was Hodge. But there are several others in that class. NCAA records for career pins belong to Wade Schalles with 106 and Gene Mills with 107. Gable with 72 and Hodge with 36 wrestled less matches but had very high pin rates, Gables being the 2nd highest ever. (Heck Hodge's career he only wr 48 matches.) Two others are hwts Jess Lewis --and Chris Taylor who had THE highest pin rate. Those are probably the Big 6 of college pinners.
Found Jesse Lewis stats (76 wins and 50 pins) for a 65% pin rate. Gable stands at 74% during varsity competition and Hodge at 78%. I couldn't find stats on Taylor, although he does hold the record for most pins in a season at 44 for ISU. I think he might have only wrestled two years at ISU (but not sure), winning titles both years. And Gable pinned at a +90% rate in both his junior and senior years.

Last edited by bdhof; 07-18-18 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 03:10 PM
All Ohio

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
If the cats who were around when Al was wrestling were voting...I believe it would be different results.
Its easier to remember Steiber than Fried. Probably the same goes for the others in the poll as well. (Kemp especially)
Steiber is/was a bad@$$ , but he wasn't Fried.
Pile on if you like if you see fit.
I tend to agree with you. Fried was before many people here got involved in the sport.
I was lucky enough to have officiated both of them in matches. Both were outstanding wrestlers and we could not go wrong with either selection but Fried was just so much more charismatic. Now that doesn't relate to ability on the mat but he was really something to watch.
Old 07-18-18, 03:37 PM
All World

[QUOTE=bdhof;7070127]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPreusse View Post

Found Jesse Lewis stats (76 wins and 50 pins) for a 65% pin rate. Gable stands at 74% during varsity competition and Hodge at 78%. I couldn't find stats on Campbell, although he does hold the record for most pins in a season at 44 for ISU. I think he might have only wrestled two years at ISU (but not sure), winning titles both years. And Gable pinned at a +90% rate in both his junior and senior years.
Found an article on the ISU site that says Taylor was 87-0-1 with 70 pins, an 80% rate. While this is better than Gable's 74% or Hodge's 78%, it is only for his junior and senior years. Gable was above 90% in both his junior and senior years. So, I'm going with Hodge as #1 and Gable as #2 in this category as the best NCAA pinners (by percentage).

Last edited by bdhof; 07-18-18 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 04:03 PM
All World

Final OH HS GOAT Poll

Schalles had a 67% rate and my guess is that many came against D2 competition. Back then D2 champs qualified for D1 NCAAs. I did have the pleasure of watching him destroy the field in the D1 NCAAs in 1973. And Mills comes in with a 71%. If I could find Mills’ season by season breakdown (which I cannot) it’s very possible that his sophomore, junior, senior pin rate is better than Gable’s or Hodge’s. That would be a fairer comparison.

Last edited by bdhof; 07-18-18 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 05:02 PM
All American

BobPreusse is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=bdhof;7070141]
Quote:

Found an article on the ISU site that says Campbell was 87-0-1 with 70 pins, a 80% rate. While this is better than Gable's 74% or Hodge's 78%, it is only for his junior and senior years. Gable was above 90% in both his junior and senior years. So, I'm going with Hodge as #1 and Gable as #2 in this category as the best NCAA pinners (by percentage).

its Chris TAYLOR the 400 plus pounder i refer to, not Chris Campbell. ....Hodge may have had too few matches for sample size, 48 only. .... Gable had 97 matches, Taylor 88, thats comparable. Taylor appears to be the man, 80% to 74 %..
Old 07-18-18, 05:15 PM
All World

[QUOTE=BobPreusse;7070182]
Quote:

its Chris TAYLOR the 400 plus pounder i refer to, not Chris Campbell. ....Hodge may have had too few matches for sample size, 48 only. .... Gable had 97 matches, Taylor 88, thats comparable. Taylor appears to be the man, 80% to 74 %..
Yeah, my bad. The stats I provided were all Chris Taylor. I just plugged in the wrong name. I'll edit my posts. Thanks for the correction.
Old 07-18-18, 05:38 PM
All World

I watched Taylor literally chase Hagen, Oregon State, all over the mat in the 1973 NCAA finals. Unfortunately for Hagen, Taylor finally caught him and flattened him like a pancake.
Old 07-18-18, 08:20 PM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
If we're talking "peak year domination," not HS career domination, then Dave Schultz is the greatest ever...and slightly better than Gable. The reason...Dave was defeating Sr. world champions while still in HS.
Placed 2nd in the world while a HS Sr. Defeated 2-time defending NCAA champion prior to Sr. year. Was essentially an international Sr. level star...in HS.
For Ohio, only Kemp and Fried come close...while still in HS.
My 2 cents...
Old 07-19-18, 07:53 AM
All World

The voting seemed to pick up somewhat yesterday, so I'll wait another day or so until announcing the Final GOAT.
Old 07-22-18, 08:23 AM
All World

Time to wrap this up. Here's the official final tally. I think any of these legends could make a claim to be the OH HS GOAT. Congrats to Stieber.

1st Logan Stieber 2010 - 23 - 35.94%
2nd Alan Fried 1989 - 21 - 32.81%
3rd David Taylor 2009 - 10 - 15.63%
4th-T Lee Kemp 1974 - 5 - 7.81%
4th-T Harry Lester 2001 - 5 - 7.81%
Old 07-22-18, 02:42 PM
All World

I closed this down to keep people from voting any more.
Closed Thread