Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-21-15, 01:35 AM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
2016 ITCL Thread

Crestview carried the ITCL torch again into the playoffs before falling to CCC in the region 15 championship game. Before moving on, just a quick look back at 2015. The ITCL sent 6 teams to the playoffs (EP, Crestview, Lisbon, Columbiana, Western Reserve, and Jackson-Milton), conveniently 2 from each tier made it to the post season while McDonald and South Range both had successful 7-3 and 6-4 campaigns. EP shocked everyone by getting red hot and sweeping through the red tier and taking the crown, while Columbiana won the white and Western Reserve won the blue. While most complained about the tier set up, getting 6 out of 16 teams into the playoffs (with another just missing at 9th) is a good sign in the respect.

Now to put 2015 to rest and look forward to 2016! It'll be an interesting off-season with expansion conversation bound to be a hot topic. In a few weeks we'll find out if the invitations to the 5 schools offered will be accepted. Since news broke about ITCL expansion, some schools have expressed interest in wanting an invitation, most notably Salem and Mogadore.

As for the teams, who's coming back? What teams are primed for a big year in 2016? We all know the usual suspects, any potential surprise teams? Can Lisbon, EP and JM carry on the success of 2015?

I'll start with McDonald. 2015 was a very inconsistent year, beating 3 playoff teams (2 D5 playoff teams by 21 against each) but also falling against a 4-6 Springfield team and 5-5 Wellsville squad. The returning talent for 2016 is a stark contrast compared to last year. Last year there wasn't much quantity of returning talent, but a lot of quality. This year there is a lot more quantity, but no standout performers. McDonald returns 6 starters on offense, 7 on D along with 3 others who saw a lot of playing time rotating in. I think 2016 has the potential to be extraordinary, but the kids will need to put the work in.

2016 Schedule:
1: @South Range
2: Springfield
3:
4: @Wellsville
5: United
6: Jackson-Milton
7: @Western Reserve
8: Mineral Ridge
9: @Sebring
10: Lowellville

It's great seeing our old rivals South Range back on the schedule, that'll be a nice opening game, with a good Springfield team waiting the next week. Week 3 is blank on the ohsaa website which I'm thinking may mean the Grand Valley game might have been a 1 year deal (could be wrong, a return trip to GV would seem likely). If not GV, I don't know who the opponent will be, as it can't be an ITCL team as they are all taken already.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-15, 01:52 AM
All Region

TriCountyLegend is on a distinguished road
It will be a very interesting off season in the ITCL. Constant rumors will be going around about league structure. The fact of the matter is that with a league this big, not everyone will be happy and some teams will get the shaft.

Changes need to be made.
Old 11-21-15, 07:22 AM
All American

bleedingreen6 is on a distinguished road
Would love to see Mogadore join. That's all I have to say on the topic.
Old 11-21-15, 07:30 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
As long as Mogadore was in the top tier for football. If they were either of the other tiers it wouldn't make sense for Mogadore.
Old 11-21-15, 07:36 AM
All American

bleedingreen6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
As long as Mogadore was in the top tier for football. If they were either of the other tiers it wouldn't make sense for Mogadore.
Even in the Blue Tier they would be facing McDonald and Western Reserve on a yearly basis. The other teams aren't that great, but just by playing those schools there league schedule would be better than it is now.
Old 11-21-15, 11:02 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingreen6 View Post
Even in the Blue Tier they would be facing McDonald and Western Reserve on a yearly basis. The other teams aren't that great, but just by playing those schools there league schedule would be better than it is now.
I would assume Mogadore, if invited, would be for the blue tier. Travel wise it's not bad, all but Lowellville are about 40 minutes or less where the other tiers the travel would pretty much be an hour+ to every other school. Competition wise playing Western Reserve and McDonald on a yearly basis would make for some great matchups, JM is improving as a program and Mineral Ridge usually isn't as bad as they have been.
Old 11-30-15, 02:06 PM
All World

With the deadline for the 5 invited schools being tomorrow, is there any updates on their decisions?
Old 11-30-15, 03:36 PM
All Ohio

Mathews99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
With the deadline for the 5 invited schools being tomorrow, is there any updates on their decisions?
You would think some noise would be made by now......
Old 11-30-15, 04:03 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathews99 View Post
You would think some noise would be made by now......
That's what I was thinking. I guess either everything is tight lipped or everyone is waiting last second to make a decision
Old 11-30-15, 05:41 PM
All American

wildcat71 is on a distinguished road
Hope Mogadore was invited.
Old 11-30-15, 10:08 PM
All Ohio

boomer24 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like Toronto is going to accept.
Old 11-30-15, 10:13 PM
All Region

BLUE DEVIL 81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingreen6 View Post
I would love to see Mogadore join but a Lowellville or Sebring matchup would be more than ugly. Either Mogadore would have to be in with South Range, Springfield or you would have to realign again. How about a Tier with Mogadore, McDonald, South Range, Western Reserve, Springfield, Columbiana? That would be a heck of a Conference.
Old 12-01-15, 03:46 AM
All Ohio

Mathews99
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer24 View Post
Would suprise me if they did accept, many Toronto people did not like the idea of it, when I got to ask several at the playoff game... We will see though....
Old 12-01-15, 06:36 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathews99 View Post
Would suprise me if they did accept, many Toronto people did not like the idea of it, when I got to ask several at the playoff game... We will see though....
I wonder why they didn't like the idea of the ITCL for them? Travel?? I think it makes sense for them. It'll give them good match-ups and I'd think that travel wouldn't be any more than they typically have to deal with.
Old 12-01-15, 11:12 AM
All Region

ideliver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Have fun...hopefully this team matures....

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools...0-8451b4ca88f5
Old 12-01-15, 12:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE DEVIL 81 View Post
I would love to see Mogadore join but a Lowellville or Sebring matchup would be more than ugly. Either Mogadore would have to be in with South Range, Springfield or you would have to realign again. How about a Tier with Mogadore, McDonald, South Range, Western Reserve, Springfield, Columbiana? That would be a heck of a Conference.
That's a good tier, but SR kind of doesn't fit. I think Mineral Ridge would be in the group. They've been down but don't mind playing up and should get better.
Old 12-01-15, 12:07 PM
All World

Quote:
I wonder why they didn't like the idea of the ITCL for them? Travel?? I think it makes sense for them. It'll give them good match-ups and I'd think that travel wouldn't be any more than they typically have to deal with.
I guess it could be as simple as some people may not like change. It seems like a really nice fit for them to play Wellsville, Southern, Lisbon etc
Old 12-01-15, 01:09 PM
All Ohio

AgainstAllOdds03 is on a distinguished road
Hard to judge what Columbiana will be like next year. They return Davidson, but lose all their skill players. I think numbers will be down again, but Spaite did a great job of getting the best out of what he had. The big talk will be if it's Spaite's last year. For about 3 or 4 years the word has always been that Spaite will be done when Davidson graduates. Other than making it to state I'd say he's done a great job year in and year out, a lot of success, and has always done more with less.

I'd assume Crestview will reload next year. EP should be in the thick of things again. Lisbon loses a ton. Sounds like McDonald will return quite a bit. South Range is South Range, even if they don't win the league, they have their effect on it some how.

Hopefully whatever the league decides to do as far as expanding they do it within reason. Not everyone will be happy, but this is a good opportunity to make a solid league.
Old 12-01-15, 02:08 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgainstAllOdds03 View Post
Hard to judge what Columbiana will be like next year. They return Davidson, but lose all their skill players. I think numbers will be down again, but Spaite did a great job of getting the best out of what he had. The big talk will be if it's Spaite's last year. For about 3 or 4 years the word has always been that Spaite will be done when Davidson graduates. Other than making it to state I'd say he's done a great job year in and year out, a lot of success, and has always done more with less.

I'd assume Crestview will reload next year. EP should be in the thick of things again. Lisbon loses a ton. Sounds like McDonald will return quite a bit. South Range is South Range, even if they don't win the league, they have their effect on it some how.

Hopefully whatever the league decides to do as far as expanding they do it within reason. Not everyone will be happy, but this is a good opportunity to make a solid league.
As long as you have a talent like Davidson, Columbiana will have success. Having such a talented player in the most important position will help make the guys around him better. I think the Clips just need to get more bodies out, especially in the trenches and they'll be in good shape. As for the rest of the league I agree with your assessments, though I'll throw out Western Reserve too, I know they return a good chunk of their team.

Regards to expansion, this is the ITCL's last chance to really do it right. Make competitive tiers that aren't too bad travel wise and it'll probably end up a stable league. If that doesn't happen, then it could implode in the coming years.
Old 12-02-15, 06:25 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgainstAllOdds03 View Post

Lisbon has quite a few holes to fill that's for sure. On top of the skill players, they need to replace 3 O-Lineman. Defensively, we will be able to move some kids around and fill holes a little easier. The biggest problem we will fight is numbers again. Not much depth when you get 35 kids out for football. Lisbon only dressed 31 kids for the playoff game and we had 12 seniors, so it's going to be tough for us this upcoming season.

If numbers keep dropping, Lisbon will be D7 very quickly in football...we were only 3 kids away from that this past season.
Old 12-02-15, 12:46 PM
All District

boatman42 is on a distinguished road
Toronto wants to keep playing the tough schedule they have had the last couple years Bridgeport, Sebring, Ashtabula St. John, Paden City, Conotton Valley, & Weir Madonna, & Edison.
Old 12-02-15, 12:51 PM
All American

haydenfrye is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman42 View Post
Toronto wants to keep playing the tough schedule they have had the last couple years Bridgeport, Sebring, Ashtabula St. John, Paden City, Conotton Valley, & Weir Madonna, & Edison.
Conotton Valley maybe going to 8 man football soon and Ashtabula St. John just braught football back recently I wouldn't call them tough
Old 12-02-15, 01:03 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenfrye View Post
Conotton Valley maybe going to 8 man football soon and Ashtabula St. John just braught football back recently I wouldn't call them tough
I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm, none of those teams are strong
Old 12-02-15, 01:04 PM
All American

haydenfrye is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm, none of those teams are strong
Good god I hope so
Old 12-02-15, 01:17 PM
All Ohio

bop is on a distinguished road
That is the reason I think Toronto will accept the invitation. They are a small school that is landlocked by bigger school's with all the mergers down there over the past 20 years. They have little to choose from competition wise once league play begins. They do play Shadyside and Steubenville CC, along with their rival Wellsville, all good programs. They have the ITCL to the North and nothing else to consider. I bet they join.
Old 12-02-15, 01:17 PM
All Ohio

bop is on a distinguished road
This realignment that is going to happen is very important to the smaller schools in the league. If they do not get it right, the whole thing will fall apart.
Old 12-02-15, 02:57 PM
All World

bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
I for one, see this becoming a bigger cluster bang than it is now.

It would be better to breathe life back into the TCL and ICL individually.
Old 12-03-15, 11:56 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bop View Post
this realignment that is going to happen is very important to the smaller schools in the league. If they do not get it right, the whole thing will fall apart.
+1
Old 12-03-15, 11:59 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1974 View Post
I for one, see this becoming a bigger cluster bang than it is now.

It would be better to breathe life back into the TCL and ICL individually.
It would be simpler, but not better IMO. Too many D7 programs in both. For the old TCL, that wouldn't benefit Crestview and EP much. Also, the D7 programs don't want to play Crestview...it doesn't help anyone. I think the ICL group has a similar problem.

I love the old TCL match-ups, but I just don't see the league being revived to what it used to be is a possibility.
Old 12-03-15, 12:02 PM
All World

bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
It would be simpler, but not better IMO. Too many D7 programs in both. For the old TCL, that wouldn't benefit Crestview and EP much. Also, the D7 programs don't want to play Crestview...it doesn't help anyone. I think the ICL group has a similar problem.

I love the old TCL match-ups, but I just don't see the league being revived to what it used to be is a possibility.
Who said there would be D7 in the TCL if revived?