Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-02-16, 10:17 AM
All American

AtownFalcon201
Dana Balash (WFMJ NBC Youngstown) tweeting out...

Quote:
I've been told representatives of the All American Conference visited & toured the Louisville facilities....
Old 03-02-16, 01:27 PM
All Ohio

Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Actually Lake boys and girls athletic count decreased by 54 in the last count and Jackson only increased by one student. Louisville decreased by 97.
Yes Lakes did. Although it hasn't really been a steady decline. It's been more up than down as of recent unlike others who have seen major decline in enrollment.
Old 03-02-16, 02:34 PM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestling245 View Post
Yes Lakes did. Although it hasn't really been a steady decline. It's been more up than down as of recent unlike others who have seen major decline in enrollment.
All I can do is go by the ODE enrollment numbers for Lake.

K-12 in the district is on an enrollment decline like most school districts in Ohio. Lake may be more stable than others but enrollment is declining. Blame fertility/birth rates which are below replacement levels for white Americans and just at replacement levels for black Americans (Meaning in those demographic groups, white Americans are declining in population and black Americans are not growing in population). With fewer children being born and little interstate migration to Ohio look for most schools to continue to have enrollment declines.

Lake Local School Enrollment per ODE.

K-203
1-231
2-232
3-212
4-262
5-287
6-277
7-262
8-280
9-284
10-308
11-285
12-310

Doesn't look like Lake will get a class near 300 again for the foreseeable future. It's not a criticism of Lake at all, it is just the way it is for the reasons stated above. Almost everyone else is in the same boat.
Old 03-02-16, 02:47 PM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtownFalcon201 View Post
Dana Balash (WFMJ NBC Youngstown) tweeting out...
Sounds appropriate. Louisville will avoid the Federal league at all costs. AAC logistically and economically makes no sense for Louisville. But desperation measures to find a new league home and remain competitive does. Get used to traveling 224, 225, and 76 Lep faithful.
Old 03-02-16, 04:38 PM
All Ohio

ts1227 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ts1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_XYZ&12345 View Post
Sounds appropriate. Louisville will avoid the Federal league at all costs. AAC logistically and economically makes no sense for Louisville. But desperation measures to find a new league home and remain competitive does. Get used to traveling 224, 225, and 76 Lep faithful.

Size wise the AAC and Suburban League both make more sense than the Federal League, but you have to travel. There's no perfect scenario for them unfortunately, but a lot of their potential AAC foes are also in their region.
Old 03-02-16, 04:50 PM
All Ohio

Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
All I can do is go by the ODE enrollment numbers for Lake.

K-12 in the district is on an enrollment decline like most school districts in Ohio. Lake may be more stable than others but enrollment is declining. Blame fertility/birth rates which are below replacement levels for white Americans and just at replacement levels for black Americans (Meaning in those demographic groups, white Americans are declining in population and black Americans are not growing in population). With fewer children being born and little interstate migration to Ohio look for most schools to continue to have enrollment declines.

Lake Local School Enrollment per ODE.

K-203
1-231
2-232
3-212
4-262
5-287
6-277
7-262
8-280
9-284
10-308
11-285
12-310

Doesn't look like Lake will get a class near 300 again for the foreseeable future. It's not a criticism of Lake at all, it is just the way it is for the reasons stated above. Almost everyone else is in the same boat.
Yes and this is what I had been talking about! Lakes enrollment always seems to go in waves like this! Back in the 90's Lake high school had 500 something boys at one point, then mid 2000's the enrollment for guys got so low that they were somewhere around 2 or 3 boys from being Divison two in wrestling which hasn't happened and I don't even know how long! I believe they are a good margin away from that now (60 or so). You very well could be right about Lakes enrollment declining permanently, just like others could be right about how Lake Township as a whole is supposed to grow soon! IMO neither will happen and it'll be same old same old.
Old 03-02-16, 05:02 PM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
AAC is not a good fit travel wise for louisville

Canton South seems to lie way out to the west for the former NBC schools who are trying to attract a crestview or south range.

so I would bet whatever happens....doesn't last longer than 10 years tops.
Old 03-02-16, 08:59 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post

Canton South seems to lie way out to the west for the former NBC schools who are trying to attract a crestview or south range.

Just because they visited, doesn't mean a commitment. XYZ, in the event you are not as connected as you pretend to be, check out the LHS baseball scrimmages, pretty much a Federal League schedule.
Old 03-03-16, 10:33 AM
All American

warriors378 is on a distinguished road
When the dust settles, I think Louisville will be in the AAC and Canton South will be in the Principals Athletic Conference when it's all said and done. With Crestview and STA joining NBC.
Old 03-03-16, 11:02 AM
All Region

guyinahoodie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriors378 View Post
When the dust settles, I think Louisville will be in the AAC and Canton South will be in the Principals Athletic Conference when it's all said and done. With Crestview and STA joining NBC.
Doubt the NBC let's us (STA) into their public school league. Also doubt Canton South goes to the PAC, as they currently have 8 schools, and do not need another. I can see Crestview getting in the NBC and Louisville in the AAC though.
Old 03-03-16, 11:06 AM
All American

warriors378 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinahoodie View Post
Doubt the NBC let's us (STA) into their public school league. Also doubt Canton South goes to the PAC, as they currently have 8 schools, and do not need another. I can see Crestview getting in the NBC and Louisville in the AAC though.
Correct, on PAC having 8 currently(key word). One PAC school may be looking at another conference that's in transition as well, and wouldn't surprise me if South ends up in that "open" spot in PAC.
Old 03-03-16, 11:12 AM
All Region

guyinahoodie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriors378 View Post
Correct, on PAC having 8 currently(key word). One PAC school may be looking at another conference that's in transition as well, and wouldn't surprise me if South ends up in that "open" spot in PAC.
Wouldn't they just go back to the PAC-7 again if CVCA leaves?
Old 03-03-16, 11:14 AM
All District

Stark_Fan is on a distinguished road
I’d rather travel and stay competitive, then join the Fed and not compete. As far as Football, its only 5 games and we already travel to Fitch and Canfield. I believe we travel well, we actually had more fans than Fitch did. The AAC is a step up from the NBC and not quite as strong as the Fed, which is a good fit. I know most people only care about the football schedule and use football as the measuring stick, but you have to look at all sports. For example, girls basketball beat Canfield this year (AAC team) then played Green who was at the bottom of the Fed and got blown out by them the last reg season game and the first tournament game. This is with having the most talented team we have had in years. So those of you who are wanting the Fed, you best be careful what you wish for. Losing seasons will have a major negative affect on the school and community!
Old 03-03-16, 11:24 AM
All American

Canton South will not get into the PAC for a couple of reasons....there is not a spot, and even if one opens the PAC has a couple of teams to choose from when and if that happens. Furthermore every time Canton South has applied to the PAC and I think we are up to 3 now - they have been denied. The PAC is a D5 D6 league and CS is D4 - so for the very reason they want out of the NBC is the same reason they will not be admitted to the PAC.

Everyone wants to be the big fish.....LOL
Old 03-03-16, 12:24 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Canton South will not get into the PAC for a couple of reasons....there is not a spot, and even if one opens the PAC has a couple of teams to choose from when and if that happens. Furthermore every time Canton South has applied to the PAC and I think we are up to 3 now - they have been denied. The PAC is a D5 D6 league and CS is D4 - so for the very reason they want out of the NBC is the same reason they will not be admitted to the PAC.

Canton South will be DV when the next enrollment figures come out. But you are right, no place for them to go, and the fact CS was continually denied says a lot about their feelings toward CS.
Old 03-03-16, 12:26 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark_Fan View Post
Id rather travel and stay competitive, then join the Fed and not compete. As far as Football, its only 5 games and we already travel to Fitch and Canfield. I believe we travel well, we actually had more fans than Fitch did. The AAC is a step up from the NBC and not quite as strong as the Fed, which is a good fit. I know most people only care about the football schedule and use football as the measuring stick, but you have to look at all sports. For example, girls basketball beat Canfield this year (AAC team) then played Green who was at the bottom of the Fed and got blown out by them the last reg season game and the first tournament game. This is with having the most talented team we have had in years. So those of you who are wanting the Fed, you best be careful what you wish for. Losing seasons will have a major negative affect on the school and community!
Louisville typically outnumbers the home team in fans and from a financial standpoint still scratching my head why the seven other schools are not willing to sacrifice a loss on most occasions for that one game revenue.
Old 03-03-16, 12:27 PM
All Ohio

Quote:

Desperation outweighs logic in terms of the travel issue...
Old 03-03-16, 12:38 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitme View Post
Just because they visited, doesn't mean a commitment. XYZ, in the event you are not as connected as you pretend to be, check out the LHS baseball scrimmages, pretty much a Federal League schedule.
I neither pretend or profess to be connected but I do understand logic and rationality. Of course the Federal makes sense, but logic and rationality are two different perceptions, and logic says Federal, but rationality says Louisville will seek safer shelter and join the AAC.
Old 03-03-16, 01:02 PM
All District

Leopard_Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitme View Post
The comparison of playing a few scrimmages against Federal League teams plus a few regular season games against them to a full slate of games against the league in all sports are two different things in my opinion. A similar thing occurred with the boys basketball team this year where they played more Federal League and Division I teams than they normally have in years past. Does that mean they would continue doing that (or want to do that) every year going forward even if the NBC wasn't disbanding? Not necessarily.

This year's senior class, particular on the boys side, is much better than average athletically. Between that group and a few talented underclassmen mixed in, they are able to compete with the Fed teams this year. At this point, I don't picture them being quite as talented over the next few years. Projecting that out a few more years plus several more down the road once the NBC disbands gets even more difficult.

I think in order for Louisville to be competitive most years in the Federal League either their enrollment would need to increase where they're closer in size to the other schools (I've not heard where that is projected to happen - at least not anytime soon) or they would have to be more talented athletically overall most years than they have been in general lately.

From a geographical and economic sense, I think the Federal League is a perfect fit. From a size and competition standpoint, not so much.
Old 03-03-16, 01:50 PM
All American

Quote:
Canton South will be DV when the next enrollment figures come out. But you are right, no place for them to go, and the fact CS was continually denied says a lot about their feelings toward CS.
so from the numerous threads I have read about D4 and D5.....Everyone thinks their school is moving down....which leads me to believe that none of these schools will be moving down at the next count. Schools across the board in NEO and actually most of Ohio have declining enrollments....so no one is moving down.
Old 03-03-16, 01:54 PM
All Ohio

74Leps is on a distinguished road
Louisville will not be going to the Fed.
Old 03-03-16, 02:45 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
If gas prices remain fairly low Louisville moving to the AAC would probably be the best fit. In football many of their playoff rivals are in the AAC and they already play Fitch in football. They've also been popping up on Boardman's schedule in sports like basketball and at all levels.

If gas prices weren't so expensive in the last part of the last decade, Boardman and perhaps Fitch would still be in the Federal League. The travel wasn't ideal, but Louisville to Youngstown isn't a terrible drive.
Old 03-03-16, 02:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
so from the numerous threads I have read about D4 and D5.....Everyone thinks their school is moving down....which leads me to believe that none of these schools will be moving down at the next count. Schools across the board in NEO and actually most of Ohio have declining enrollments....so no one is moving down.
Well according to CS's head football coach, whom I know, and spoke with, projected they will drop down to DV based on their future expected numbers. Just saying.
Old 03-03-16, 03:03 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
If gas prices remain fairly low Louisville moving to the AAC would probably be the best fit. In football many of their playoff rivals are in the AAC and they already play Fitch in football. They've also been popping up on Boardman's schedule in sports like basketball and at all levels.

If gas prices weren't so expensive in the last part of the last decade, Boardman and perhaps Fitch would still be in the Federal League. The travel wasn't ideal, but Louisville to Youngstown isn't a terrible drive.
The price of oil will incline at some point and gas prices will not remain sustained at current levels for sure...
Old 03-03-16, 03:27 PM
All World

SteelValley
Louisville fans,

If you were going to join the AAC, do you think it would be likely they would want to play up in the upper tier for football? Currently that is D-1 Austintown Fitch, D-2's Boardman, Harding, and Ashtabula Lakeside. I'd really like to see the top tier add another team or two. Honestly, I think Howland and Canfield are perfect candidates to move up to tier 1, along w/ Youngstown East. If you added Louisville to that, you would be at 8 teams in the top tier.

Right now the 2nd tier is Howland, Canfield, Poland, Niles, and East - for reference.

In my above scenario of moving teams around - I'd see Tier 2 become Poland, Niles, Hubbard, Lakeview, Struthers, Jefferson, and Edgewood

For Boardman this would be perfect - 7 games filled, continue to schedule Ursuline and Mooney and then just have to find one additional game - likely a former Fed foe (Jackson or Perry) or Big Red.
Old 03-03-16, 04:43 PM
All Ohio

Maverick0425 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well according to CS's head football coach, whom I know, and spoke with, projected they will drop down to DV based on their future expected numbers. Just saying.
Exactly. It's not that other schools aren't shedding enrollment. It's that Minerva and South (I can't speak for WB or Salem) are losing it much faster. Minerva has classes in the lower grades with 120 students or fewer. I also know for a fact that Minerva will be D5 in the next few counts.
Old 03-03-16, 04:55 PM
All Ohio

I'm not attempting to be argumentative on the subject but I do believe based on declined enrollment trends for the aforementioned teams it appears inevitable contrary to what others choose to believe.
Old 03-03-16, 05:10 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelValley View Post
Louisville fans,

If you were going to join the AAC, do you think it would be likely they would want to play up in the upper tier for football? Currently that is D-1 Austintown Fitch, D-2's Boardman, Harding, and Ashtabula Lakeside. I'd really like to see the top tier add another team or two. Honestly, I think Howland and Canfield are perfect candidates to move up to tier 1, along w/ Youngstown East. If you added Louisville to that, you would be at 8 teams in the top tier.

Right now the 2nd tier is Howland, Canfield, Poland, Niles, and East - for reference.

In my above scenario of moving teams around - I'd see Tier 2 become Poland, Niles, Hubbard, Lakeview, Struthers, Jefferson, and Edgewood

For Boardman this would be perfect - 7 games filled, continue to schedule Ursuline and Mooney and then just have to find one additional game - likely a former Fed foe (Jackson or Perry) or Big Red.
I only speak for myself but I would think the second tier makes the most sense considering Louisville is DIII in football and a few of those teams are in the same region. Might as well play closer to home in the Federal if you want to play primarily D1 teams.
Old 03-03-16, 05:16 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
What happens to Mooney and Ursuline could be a big deal. Imagine if they get rejected by the AAC and Fitch, Harding, and Boardman form a league with them.

But Louisville in the tier with Howland, Canfield, Poland makes the most sense with 1 crossover up.
Old 03-03-16, 05:41 PM
All Region

Mr. Wildcat_09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Canton South applied to the PAC because the writing was on the wall with the NBC folding and didn't want to be left in an eastern-based new conference that wouldn't find any use for South down the road. South never wanted out of the NBC for the record. It was a proactive decision to apply for the PAC, not a "we want to leave the NBC and be big fish elsewhere" decision.