Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-13-18, 09:57 PM
All District

FootballCrazy1 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Pbr ohio all-ohio teams announced

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/n...ams-0712396584

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL AWARD WINNERS !!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-18, 10:19 AM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
the way an All-State list should be...OHSCA needs to expand their awards a bit. With so many participants, there should be a few more who qualify.
Old 06-14-18, 11:53 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatQB View Post
the way an All-State list should be...OHSCA needs to expand their awards a bit. With so many participants, there should be a few more who qualify.
The OHSBCA really is limited in what they can do....though it's nobody's fault. The coaches in Youngstown have no idea about kids in Archbold...and vice versa. The coaches in Cincinnati have no clue how good a kid in Athens may be. They vote on their districts then combine those to make the all state teams. It's not like basketball where the good teams/players get statewide media coverage. If I'm the OHSBCA I think I would just do all-district and then quit and let the PBR awards be the "All State" awards.
Old 06-14-18, 12:47 PM
All District

agreed, but what doesn't make sense is why do most sports rely on sports writers and a few don't? Why would there not be one uniform way to select players in every sport? Right or wrong, IMO the same way should be the only way. It's certainly not life or death here, but kids should be rewarded for their efforts. I applaud PBR for making a legitimate effort to recognize the kids.
Old 06-14-18, 06:29 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
I see that Easton Kindall was named a 2nd team catcher, but he basically DH'ed for his Head Coach's catcher son this HS season and the end of last season. I guess there's no "DH" category ? He also played third pretty capably when the regular 3B pitched.

I looked around a bit, and I see that Kindall was able to find 100+ innings behind the plate for a pretty high level summer team last year. The catcher that played ahead of him may show up on one of these "All" teams next year, I guess. He might consider changing his catching stance with runners on.

Good Luck with your college career, Mr Kindall. Shake the dust off of your shoes and move on to bigger and better things.
Old 06-15-18, 10:15 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatQB View Post
agreed, but what doesn't make sense is why do most sports rely on sports writers and a few don't? Why would there not be one uniform way to select players in every sport? Right or wrong, IMO the same way should be the only way. It's certainly not life or death here, but kids should be rewarded for their efforts. I applaud PBR for making a legitimate effort to recognize the kids.
The AP no longer does their all state teams....they stopped after last football season. They aren't much better than the coaches....an AP guy in Cincinnati has likely never seen a kid in Astabula.....same as a guy in Wheelersburg likely has never seen a kid from Napoleon. Actually it would be nice if an organization like PBR that has statewide coverage would handle all the sports. At least that way you know that most kids that are deserving have at least gotten a look by somebody
Old 06-15-18, 05:05 PM
All Region

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
The AP no longer does their all state teams....they stopped after last football season. They aren't much better than the coaches....an AP guy in Cincinnati has likely never seen a kid in Astabula.....same as a guy in Wheelersburg likely has never seen a kid from Napoleon. Actually it would be nice if an organization like PBR that has statewide coverage would handle all the sports. At least that way you know that most kids that are deserving have at least gotten a look by somebody
First off nice idea but pretty much impossible to pull off. The kids GO to PBR to be seen. Can't happen especially in football. My grandson is on this all state team and even with that I don't put a whole bunch of Credence in PBR. I see many kids getting much attention from PBR that are average but they go to 3-6 events a year. PBR is in it for the money, but unfortunately it's a catch 22. U have to be seen but like I said the more u spend the more exposure PBR gives out. The top prospect game in Cincy a few weeks ago we were there for the second session on the second day. After the first session probably 60% of the scouts bailed. It started at 2:00pm till 9:00 pm. Unfortunately by 3:00 there were maybe a handfuls of scouts still there. I don't know what the answer is except Sumner teams playing in showcase events. Actually as I'm typing this I'm sitting in Indianapolis for Midwest prospect tournament. But not totally sold on PBR.
Old 06-15-18, 05:17 PM
All Region

P.S. the Future games in Indianapolis are after football starts. I asked a PBR official why not go 1 week earlier the football kids could play and he said. Not many football players play baseball!!! I couldn't believe he thinks that way. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't college coaches looking for atheletes? I had coaches say they like multi sports kids. Like I said I was stunned when he said that. Anyone else think this way. One week earlier just one week
Old 06-15-18, 09:55 PM
All Ohio

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
I'll take the football and basketball lists over baseball. The problem with baseball is that PBR looks mostly at players who have come to their events. Others don't stand much of a chance.
Old 06-16-18, 01:58 AM
All District

FootballCrazy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
P.S. the Future games in Indianapolis are after football starts. I asked a PBR official why not go 1 week earlier the football kids could play and he said. Not many football players play baseball!!! I couldn't believe he thinks that way. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't college coaches looking for atheletes? I had coaches say they like multi sports kids. Like I said I was stunned when he said that. Anyone else think this way. One week earlier just one week

Totally agree with you, football guys miss out a ton on events that happen after August 1st, nature of the beast for them i guess, i don't agree that PBR only chooses kids for All Ohio teams based solely on who goes to what events but i will say the rankings they do indicates that happens at times. I know many kids who don't attend PBR events who made All Ohio based on their numbers, not the events attended. Plus I'd trust PBR to judge kids all over OHIO instead of coaches who only seem to vote for players in their district only and have NEVER seen kids play outside their city or town
Old 06-16-18, 04:43 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballCrazy1 View Post
Totally agree with you, football guys miss out a ton on events that happen after August 1st, nature of the beast for them i guess, i don't agree that PBR only chooses kids for All Ohio teams based solely on who goes to what events but i will say the rankings they do indicates that happens at times. I know many kids who don't attend PBR events who made All Ohio based on their numbers, not the events attended. Plus I'd trust PBR to judge kids all over OHIO instead of coaches who only seem to vote for players in their district only and have NEVER seen kids play outside their city or town
Agreed.
Old 06-16-18, 05:38 AM
All District

basesloaded
Quote:
No way could PBR do the Future Games one week earlier. That would make it the last weekend in July when travel teams are still playing. If you're a football player and you are selected for that event, and you have a football coach who says you can't go, then that football coach has ZERO interest in the kid. To tell a kid he can't miss a few days of early August football practice for an opportunity to play in front of a couple hundred D1 college coaches is criminal.
Old 06-16-18, 05:55 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by basesloaded View Post
No way could PBR do the Future Games one week earlier. That would make it the last weekend in July when travel teams are still playing. If you're a football player and you are selected for that event, and you have a football coach who says you can't go, then that football coach has ZERO interest in the kid. To tell a kid he can't miss a few days of early August football practice for an opportunity to play in front of a couple hundred D1 college coaches is criminal.
Tough call, in our case my grandson a junior this fall willl be a second year starter at QB and was named a Captain. As a sophomore he was first team all league and first team all county. His coach is an awesome guy and my grandson would not even ask him to be able to go. It's a hard choice for a young man. I see your point but it's almost a loose loose situation. There's no easy choice.
Old 06-16-18, 07:34 AM
All District

basesloaded
Quote:
Tough call, in our case my grandson a junior this fall willl be a second year starter at QB and was named a Captain. As a sophomore he was first team all league and first team all county. His coach is an awesome guy and my grandson would not even ask him to be able to go. It's a hard choice for a young man. I see your point but it's almost a loose loose situation. There's no easy choice.
For me, the choice would be easy. A couple of missed football practices 3 weeks before your first game is not going to make or break anyone's football season. It's a one time opportunity to get in front of coaches from all over the country. Caoaches are lined up everywhere you look. Thats a lot to give up for a few early season football practices.
Old 06-16-18, 10:13 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
I think that in scheduling their events, PBR is looking at numbers first and reacting to existing dynamics to give them the best turnout. They are running a business, after all.

The reality is that, due to increased competition within a kid's own school, it is much harder for a kid at a D1 or 2 high school to be a multi-sport athlete. Big school kids are more likely to specialize. A kid that is a great SS that is able to be a first string HS QB out in the sticks might have two kids ahead of him on a football team at a big school. The really special multi-sport D1s are more likely to be noticed without a "Futures Game", so PBR probably focuses on the largest demographic looking for a recruiting boost. Pretty simple.

Still stinks, but what can you do ?
Old 06-16-18, 09:40 PM
All District

clueless is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
I'll take the football and basketball lists over baseball. The problem with baseball is that PBR looks mostly at players who have come to their events. Others don't stand much of a chance.
Agree
Old 06-19-18, 12:28 PM
All American

Not sure that I agree that kids that go to PBR showcases get more attention on the all-state teams. PBR has the HS stats next to the kids on their all-state team....not their showcase results. Sure, a lot of the kids may attend PBR events, but if you're hitting .475 with 14 doubles and 4 HR's you're gonna get on the all-state team whether you went to a PBR event or not. At least with PBR posting their stats, you know what the kid did to deserve a spot on the all state team.....with the coach's all state teams you have no idea. I'm sure they miss a kid here and there....there's absolutely no way they can know every kid....but for the most part I"m guessing that a kid that's deserving of a spot likely gets on the list
Old 06-19-18, 04:10 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Its all pretty silly at this point. If the goal of these fine athletes, especially seniors, is to getting a college commitment, then that would have been most likely been secured prior to their high school season ever starting, or by May. By getting recognized by PBR, OHSAA, certainly is a well deserved honor, but not necessary for the majority of these kids recruiting chances. So many parents get caught up in their kids individual stats, pre/post season honors, thinking that they are the be all and end all barometer for their kids college baseball future. May be the case for the best of the best, but once so many of these kids start college fall ball, the talent and competition level changes considerably. So many college coaches don't really care what baseball awards kids come to their program with, because most likely there are 3/4 like kids at every position, many older and more experienced. Congrats and enjoy this achievement, just know that in a few short months in college, it really won't mean much.
Old 06-20-18, 08:20 AM
All American

BlueDevil Backer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Its all pretty silly at this point. If the goal of these fine athletes, especially seniors, is to getting a college commitment, then that would have been most likely been secured prior to their high school season ever starting, or by May. By getting recognized by PBR, OHSAA, certainly is a well deserved honor, but not necessary for the majority of these kids recruiting chances. So many parents get caught up in their kids individual stats, pre/post season honors, thinking that they are the be all and end all barometer for their kids college baseball future. May be the case for the best of the best, but once so many of these kids start college fall ball, the talent and competition level changes considerably. So many college coaches don't really care what baseball awards kids come to their program with, because most likely there are 3/4 like kids at every position, many older and more experienced. Congrats and enjoy this achievement, just know that in a few short months in college, it really won't mean much.
Bingo!

I've talked to several college coaches and they do not pay much attention to individual stats, post season awards, where a kid is ranked by PBR, etc. What they do pay attention to is can a kid excel on the field in game situations. There are kids out there that are simply showcase players but cannot produce in game situations. Big difference in a coaches eye.
They also pay attention to attitude, are they a competitor, do they play the game the right way, are they a good teammate, what kind of person are they off the field and does this match their program, what is the family like (yes parents you are watched too at games and how you act).
They look at the intangibles that mean far more to them when recruiting a player than what is on paper, those post season awards, and where they are ranked.
Old 06-20-18, 09:05 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil Backer View Post
Bingo!

I've talked to several college coaches and they do not pay much attention to individual stats, post season awards, where a kid is ranked by PBR, etc. What they do pay attention to is can a kid excel on the field in game situations. There are kids out there that are simply showcase players but cannot produce in game situations. Big difference in a coaches eye.
They also pay attention to attitude, are they a competitor, do they play the game the right way, are they a good teammate, what kind of person are they off the field and does this match their program, what is the family like (yes parents you are watched too at games and how you act).
They look at the intangibles that mean far more to them when recruiting a player than what is on paper, those post season awards, and where they are ranked.
All of these things are true, but kids have to get in front of the coaches in order to show these characteristics. Any type of extra exposure kids can get is only going to help. Meaningless honors/awards to some but if it helps a kid get noticed or at least gets their name on the radar, then it's worth it.