Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins Region 1?
Mentor 26 55.32%
St Edward 21 44.68%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-18, 01:00 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Region 1 Final: Mentor (11-1) vs St Edward (8-3)

Mentor and St Edward will play this Friday for the Region 1 title. This is a rematch of a Week 1 game that was won by Mentor, 42-39. On that day, Mentor was able to control the game behind strong running efforts by QB Ian Kipp (174 yards rushing, 2 TD's) and RB Brian Trobel (191 yards, 4 TD's). Mentor's offensive line controlled the line of scrimmage. For the Eagles, it was through the air that damage was done. Dzuro threw for nearly 300 yards to go along with a team-high 81 yards rushing.

These two teams are meeting in the playoffs for the seventh time:

2003: St Edward 13 Mentor 10 (OT)
2010: St Edward 35 Mentor 21
2012: Mentor 63 St Edward 56
2013: Mentor 41 St Edward 38
2015: St Edward 34 Mentor 10
2017: Mentor 21 St Edward 13

Nobody has beaten Triv in the playoffs more than the Eagles. Triv has winning records in the playoffs against NEO powers St Ignatius, Solon, Glenville, WGH, and Canton McKinley. Over the years, Triv is 14-2 against those five in November. But the Eagles have often been a thorn in Mentor's side.

If one were to rank Mentor's top ten playoff wins ever - I would bet that all three of those wins over the Eagles would make the list. That is a credit to how strong of a program St Eds has. This week should be another barn burner. I would guess that the majority of people would make Mentor a slight favorite. That is rare in this series. In 2003, Mentor was the clear favorite. But they were underdogs in the other five, winning three of them.

These teams have rarely met in the regular season, so this is the first time a playoff game is a rematch from the regular season. Should be interesting.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-18, 01:09 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
It's St. Edward, know-it-all, no "s".
Old 11-11-18, 01:21 PM
All Yappi

Wildcat97 is on a distinguished road
Mentor wins by less than 7

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-18, 01:28 PM
All District

ColinCat is on a distinguished road
Mentor must find a way to stop Kent and Wainwright from taking the top off the defense. Dzuro lures the defense in with the RPO, then bam, he hits those speedsters deep.

I think Mentor will win but Kipp will need to have a big game. Eds has a good secondary, but gave up a lot of rushing yards to Euclid.
Old 11-11-18, 01:37 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road

This game will be played at Euclid. Mentor is familiar with the new stadium already just playing there and beating Euclid a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by C'Town216; 11-11-18 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-11-18, 01:53 PM
All Yappi

As good as St Ignatius' defense is, and it may have been the best in the state, this was the rematch I was most concerned about. The Eagles can exploit the biggest weaknesses this team has, which are similar to the biggest weaknesses Mentor teams have had for many years: secondary and defending a mobile QB. Dzuoro is the difference maker in this game. A lot of the outcome will rest on his arm and legs. If he has a big game, the Eagles are tough to beat.

I understand they surrendered a lot of offense to Euclid. I understand that St Eds can't count on five turnovers this week. But the talent on the Eagles present a matchup problem for Mentor. This will be a very tough victory. In Week 1, they were not prepared for the kind of rushing attack Mentor unleashed. The defense is certainly ready in round 2. Kipp won't be able to get away with another sub 100 yard passing game. I think he will need at least 150, maybe 200 if the Eagles really stuff the box.

The mobility of the QB's is probably the biggest concern from both defenses. Mentor has the advantage in the trenches. The Eagles have the advantage at the skill positions and the back seven on defense.
Old 11-11-18, 02:04 PM
All Region

Milbarge
2010 was a rematch of a week 1 matchup. St. Edward won at Brown's stadium in week 1 that saw Mentor fumble inside the 5 yard line late in the game going in for a potential tying score.

Fast forward to the first round playoff matchup coming days after Brandon Shima was laid to rest. Mentor put up a fight but St. Edward and the emotional time was too much to overcome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-18, 02:22 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002

Kind of a role reversal in this game

Eds has the better wide receivers and the more explosive big play offense. Mentor has the edge on the lines which is typically in a private schools favor because these kids don't grow on trees. A lot easier to find a few skill guys for a public school than winning the line battle when talking about where you draw from. This is also the biggest reason privates win so much

Will that result in victory ? Who knows. Eds still has good lineplay. But this Mentor team can play straight up for once instead of spreading teams out and throwing it all over the place

Lines being this good are a rarity. Having 3 high end recruits in the same class may never happen again for us honestly

Game is a tossup. Been saying it all year. Mentor can play a good game and still lose this game and any other future games this season. Mentor will need a complete game to win and can't have an iffy first half like last week

If Mentor plays how they are capable , I think they are a slight favorite. This one should be a really close one though

Old 11-11-18, 02:25 PM
All World

wghfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Mentor and St Edward will play this Friday for the Region 1 title. This is a rematch of a Week 1 game that was won by Mentor, 42-39. On that day, Mentor was able to control the game behind strong running efforts by QB Ian Kipp (174 yards rushing, 2 TD's) and RB Brian Trobel (191 yards, 4 TD's). Mentor's offensive line controlled the line of scrimmage. For the Eagles, it was through the air that damage was done. Dzuro threw for nearly 300 yards to go along with a team-high 81 yards rushing.

These two teams are meeting in the playoffs for the seventh time:

2003: St Edward 13 Mentor 10 (OT)
2010: St Edward 35 Mentor 21
2012: Mentor 63 St Edward 56
2013: Mentor 41 St Edward 38
2015: St Edward 34 Mentor 10
2017: Mentor 21 St Edward 13

Nobody has beaten Triv in the playoffs more than the Eagles. Triv has winning records in the playoffs against NEO powers St Ignatius, Solon, Glenville, WGH, and Canton McKinley. Over the years, Triv is 14-2 against those five in November. But the Eagles have often been a thorn in Mentor's side.

If one were to rank Mentor's top ten playoff wins ever - I would bet that all three of those wins over the Eagles would make the list. That is a credit to how strong of a program St Eds has. This week should be another barn burner. I would guess that the majority of people would make Mentor a slight favorite. That is rare in this series. In 2003, Mentor was the clear favorite. But they were underdogs in the other five, winning three of them.

These teams have rarely met in the regular season, so this is the first time a playoff game is a rematch from the regular season. Should be interesting.
You need to put an asteriick beside the 2003 playoff game
The Mentor RB was over goal line to win that game for Mentor, but refs did not give him the TD
Old 11-11-18, 02:31 PM
All District

ColinCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Kind of a role reversal in this game

Eds has the better wide receivers and the more explosive big play offense. Mentor has the edge on the lines which is typically in a private schools favor because these kids don't grow on trees. A lot easier to find a few skill guys for a public school than winning the line battle when talking about where you draw from. This is also the biggest reason privates win so much

Will that result in victory ? Who knows. Eds still has good lineplay. But this Mentor team can play straight up for once instead of spreading teams out and throwing it all over the place

Lines being this good are a rarity. Having 3 high end recruits in the same class may never happen again for us honestly

Game is a tossup. Been saying it all year. Mentor can play a good game and still lose this game and any other future games this season. Mentor will need a complete game to win and can't have an iffy first half like last week

If Mentor plays how they are capable , I think they are a slight favorite. This one should be a really close one though

You literally made the same point in 2 of your first 4 paragraphs. Did HD have better linemen than Mentor in 2006? Whitmer in 2012? Pick Central last year? Because those obviously aren't private schools.

Mentor's inability to win the title games has less to do with having D1 linemen and more to do with little to no focus on defense.

And not having guys like Jacoby and Semec in the past certainly hasn't slowed down most of Mentor's offenses. Playing zero defense has.
Old 11-11-18, 02:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post

The Mentor RB was over goal line to win that game for Mentor, but refs did not give him the TD

He was .. but you gotta document what was called that day

Old 11-11-18, 02:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinCat View Post
You literally made the same point in 2 of your first 4 paragraphs. Did HD have better linemen than Mentor in 2006? Whitmer in 2012? Pick Central last year? Because those obviously aren't private schools.

Mentor's inability to win the title games has less to do with having D1 linemen and more to do with little to no focus on defense.

And not having guys like Jacoby and Semec in the past certainly hasn't slowed down most of Mentor's offenses. Playing zero defense has.

My point was Mentor had to win with a different style. The spread wasn't as popular back then as it is now. And the qb and wr development were a necessity. We couldn't play straight up like this most years. Just speaking the truth. Line play matters a lot

Pick Central and hd had hella good olines to answer your question too

And of course defense has been the main reason. I've been pointing out our D.C. sucks for over 10 years on here. Only recently have more said that publicly on here

Old 11-11-18, 02:54 PM
All World

wghfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
He was .. but you gotta document what was called that day

I know, I know. Just wanted to emphasize what really happened that night, for people that might have forgot, or too young to know about it
Old 11-11-18, 03:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wghfan View Post

That was a tough one to swallow. Outside of the HD loss, possibly the biggest punch in the gut for the program. Whether he was in or not, Mentor shouldn’t have let it get to that point. The best defense in the state. Quite possibly the most explosive and balanced offenses in the state. No reason to lose that game. The offense couldn’t execute against the great defenses back in those 2002/2003 seasons. The defense was always ready to go.
Old 11-11-18, 03:33 PM
All Yappi

EagleSE is on a distinguished road
It will be a great game, although only 3 point difference in 1st meeting, Ed's scored on virtually last play. Mentor the the favorite. But it is the final 8 in the state, so anyone can win at this time of year.
Old 11-11-18, 05:13 PM
Varsity

KCOOLHIT
This is a very tough one to predict. Mentor has the advantage if Kipp is able to scramble and extend plays with his running ability. St.Edward has the advantage if they can get consistent pressure on him and take away his ability to gain positive yards running. On offense for the Eagles Dzuro, Castleberry, and Kent have plenty of experience and their execution of the plays will be key. I can't accurately predict how this will turn out but it will sure be fun to watch. I will say that it isn't very common to have the opportunity to play 2 0f the 3 teams you lost to in the regular season, and be able to win against those teams in the playoffs. This will be an entertaining game!
Old 11-11-18, 06:20 PM
All American

sehs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
That was a tough one to swallow. Outside of the HD loss, possibly the biggest punch in the gut for the program. Whether he was in or not, Mentor shouldn’t have let it get to that point. The best defense in the state. Quite possibly the most explosive and balanced offenses in the state. No reason to lose that game. The offense couldn’t execute against the great defenses back in those 2002/2003 seasons. The defense was always ready to go.
He wasn’t called in. From my angle that night it was close but ultimately you had two guys on the lines watching it and a guy in the middle of the field too and they said he didn’t get in.

If that 2003 game was played in normal weather conditions I think the Cards win it but it wasn’t, it was played in cold, rainy, blustery conditions. Mentor missed a FG as time expired that fell short, had a hard time throwing all night. Ed’s had an offense built for that sort of weather, they probably only completed 5 passes that night. It was definitely one of Gibby’s best wins, along with the win the week before against WGH 21-13 at Kent.

For this week the game will be decided in the trenches. The Eagle d could not get off the field in week one and the shoot out was on. Holding the Mentoe rushing attack will be their number one priority. If they can do that, I like our chances.
Old 11-11-18, 06:58 PM
All Ohio

bkmk1 is on a distinguished road
Mentor wins if they don't give up the TD bombs that the Ed's WR's and Dzuro will try and hit them with. That has been Mentor's achilles in many BIG playoff games. And this Ed's team has that type of firepower. It will be up to the Mentor DL to put pressure on Dzuro all night and the secondary not letting the WR's to get behind them. Bombs for TD's are back breakers and hard to come back from. I see a lot of points, barring horrible weather, and a very close and exciting game. Can't wait!
Old 11-11-18, 07:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
St edwards can't be stopped state champs.

Glad Riverside got their first playoff victory in school history. Sure they enjoyed it

Old 11-11-18, 07:43 PM
All American

eliwes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
It's St. Edward, know-it-all, no "s".
on this thread posters refer to them as eds.
Old 11-11-18, 07:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmk1 View Post
Mentor wins if they don't give up the TD bombs that the Ed's WR's and Dzuro will try and hit them with. That has been Mentor's achilles in many BIG playoff games. And this Ed's team has that type of firepower. It will be up to the Mentor DL to put pressure on Dzuro all night and the secondary not letting the WR's to get behind them. Bombs for TD's are back breakers and hard to come back from. I see a lot of points, barring horrible weather, and a very close and exciting game. Can't wait!

It's not as simple as that. Eds has a good all around team just like Mentor. They are fully capable of winning without any bomb completions.

Mentor has to be on their A game. Kipp and Trobel have to get it in gear. Both lines have to win the battles which they are capable of doing

And I can actually see some possibilities of both being under 30 to be honest. Would be nice from my point of view to not be in a complete shoot out for once in one of these bigger games

Old 11-11-18, 08:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
You don't get it it a dig at eds posters lol.I said mentor state champs since august.

Well to be fair , nobody gets your posts ...

Old 11-11-18, 10:07 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Ok mentor by 7 has to much fg or st eds. Mentor lines will be the difference.
Old 11-12-18, 02:58 AM
All Ohio

JJBulldog is on a distinguished road
I think Mentor has the edge this year. They have the ground-oriented attack that fits the Ohio weather this time of year. The forecast shows cold with a 50% chance of rain. Their strength at the los is formidable and opens nice holes for their backfield to shoot through. This isn't to say that Eds can't also run; but because they rely more upon their big pass plays, wet, cold weather is not their friend. That said, cold, wet weather usually means turnovers, and the team that wins that battle should win this game. Beating St Eds twice in one season is easier said than done.
Old 11-12-18, 08:46 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
As many have already mentioned, Mentor's blue-chip talent along the lines likely tilts this game in favor of the Cards. The defensive personnel for Ed's will be different this time around, with Pietrowski moving back to DE, Kolesar at his more natural safety position, and a rotating group at LB including Jernigan, Johnson, Smith, and Hankins (among a few others). Regardless, it is still an undersized defense, and those front four have to find a way to occupy those Mentor maulers from getting to the second level and allowing Kipp and Trobel to get into the secondary. Coach Pappas has had a deft touch this year at dialing up blitzes, always seeming to get pressure at critical times. They need to be especially careful this week as Kipp has shown a knack for side-stepping the pressure and hitting the open cut-back lanes for big gains on the ground. Can't let Kipp run wild again. Make him beat you with his arm, and hope that our talented secondary can make plays downfield. And please, lets stop with the Quintel Kent at corner experiment.

On offense for the Eagles, we need to give Mentor a dose of what they would typically do against us, and spread them out horizontally. Running inside will be difficult against Mentor, but if we can get Castleberry, Kent, Wainwright and others in one-on-one matchups in space he can hit homeruns. Should also open up running lanes for Dzuro on the ground. Use Elliott to chip Potter on the outside, and if he is aggressively getting into the backfield, dial up some screen passes to Castleberry.
Old 11-12-18, 10:32 AM
Varsity

menfan is on a distinguished road
So here we are. We have played each other and have common opponents. Each team knows the other's strength's and weaknesses, well we hope they do. Each are coming off impressive wins. No major injuries for either team.

But as a Mentor fan I ask, how many times can Mentor get up for another rematch with a "saint" team, especially when you have won the first one. With this being Mentor's (latest) best chance to get that first elusive state championship can they bring the energy and attitude once again? I don't know why but I still have this bad feeling the defense is on the verge of getting smoked. I have no evidence mind you, just ugly history, and unfortunately this is the type of team that could bring the high powered passing game that has killed us. At this point though I am going to stay positive and look at how they have played all year (after week one) and get ready to enjoy a really well played game.
Old 11-12-18, 10:54 AM
All Yappi

I think your feelings are definitely normal on Mentor. We are fans. We don't have anything to do with the outcome of the game. We sit our butts down and watch it and that's true of the winning or losing teams fans for any game

So your mind will wander positive or negative because you can't control it. I always get positive feelings and feelings of dread this time of year. Those won't go away until Mentor wins it all. I'd enjoy future years much more after winning it and am jealous of the fans who have seen it. Way more relaxing.

When you get to the final 8 any team can win it. This year wasn't the deepest year in D1 but there are 5-6 teams left who are very strong. These 2 teams are in that grouping

Old 11-12-18, 10:58 AM
All American

sehs
I think Mentor is doing just fine with Ed’s and Ignatius in the playoffs. There have been multiple times where they’ve beaten both teams, back to back at that. What I hate about some of this sort of attitude is how it takes away from your own program. Mentor competes and wins against anyone in the state, no matter what sort of school they are. This is a huge accomplishment for them as a program and all they are missing is that state title.
Old 11-12-18, 12:40 PM
All District

FightingCardinal is on a distinguished road
In the 22 years that Trivisonno has been head coach at Mentor, the Cardinals are 92-1 in games that they score at least 40 points. The lone loss was the 2013 State Championship game vs Moeller when Mentor lost 55-52.
Sure, most teams win when they score 40 points, but considering all of the shootouts that Mentor has been involved in over the years, I find that stat shocking.

They are 9-20 when allowing 40 points or more.

The score in the week one game vs St. Ed: Mentor 42 St. Ed 39

Last edited by FightingCardinal; 11-12-18 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Edited to include 2018 games
Old 11-12-18, 01:50 PM
Varsity

menfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingCardinal View Post
In the 22 years that Trivisonno has been head coach at Mentor, the Cardinals are 86-1 in games that they score at least 40 points. The lone loss was the 2013 State Championship game vs Moeller when Mentor lost 55-52.
Sure, most teams win when they score 40 points, but considering all of the shootouts that Mentor has been involved in over the years, I find that stat shocking.

They are 9-20 when allowing 40 points or more.

The score in the week one game vs St. Ed: Mentor 42 St. Ed 39

Speaking of coach Triv, 22 years, numerous long playoff runs, huge victories, 4 state finals,....4 state final losses. I hope they win one for him, he is SOOO deserving.