Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-16-18, 10:56 AM
All District

OldSchoolPanther is on a distinguished road
What I fear is a lack of creativity. It just seems Ramsey does what he does, and lives or dies with it. I just don't think that gives you any chance of winning this game.
Old 11-16-18, 11:04 AM
All American

Omar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPanther View Post
What I fear is a lack of creativity. It just seems Ramsey does what he does, and lives or dies with it. I just don't think that gives you any chance of winning this game.
I think they understand to have any chance in this game, they need to outscheme Colerain.

You are correct, if they play it safe and stick with only their Base Offense, theyíll get smoked. There's no two ways about it, they will not beat Colerain heads up. They need to be aggressive and take (calculated) risks to prolong drives and steal possessions from the Colerain Offense.
Old 11-16-18, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

Spille is on a distinguished road
I'd like to see something "different" from Elder tonight but I feel teams that try a bunch of trick plays or deviate from the norm feel they have no other choice when trying to move the ball because they are overmatched. Colerain is so well coached, to catch them off guard would pretty much mean it has to be something not on film.

If Elder wins this game, it will be because their defense played lights out and forced some Colerain mistakes.
Old 11-16-18, 11:15 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spille View Post
I'd like to see something "different" from Elder tonight but I feel teams that try a bunch of trick plays or deviate from the norm feel they have no other choice when trying to move the ball because they are overmatched. Colerain is so well coached, to catch them off guard would pretty much mean it has to be something not on film.

If Elder wins this game, it will be because their defense played lights out and forced some Colerain mistakes.
Iím not talking about just trick plays. I mean a few new plays to get Royer the ball in the middle of the field. Or a new wrinkle to the Speed Option. These are HS players, they donít have time to learn a giant install of new plays.

Youíre overall point is correct, in that if the Defense canít stop Colerain, this entire discussion is moot.
Old 11-16-18, 11:17 AM
All Region

voiceoreaso is on a distinguished road
Not sure why you are getting got up on whether he is a TE or WR. It doesn't matter. Just find ways to get him the ball. The position means nothing
Old 11-16-18, 11:20 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
Not sure why you are getting got up on whether he is a TE or WR. It doesn't matter. Just find ways to get him the ball. The position means nothing
Can't disagree with that.
Old 11-16-18, 11:21 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoreaso View Post
It matters in terms of scheme, but yes, get him the damn ball.
Old 11-16-18, 11:26 AM
All American

ElderHSfan02 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ElderHSfan02
Division I Regional final
Colerain (12-0) vs. Elder (8-4)

at Dwire Field at Atrium Stadium, Mason High School

Kickoff: 7 p.m., Friday

Colerain and Elder last met in the 2015 postseason. The Cardinals won what was then the regional semifinal in blowout fashion, 41-11. The 2018 versions of these two programs have reached this point in similar postseason fashion. Elder blew through Moeller and Lakota East with ease, outscoring the two opponents 69-6. Colerain, similarly, defeated St. Xavier and Milford by a combined score of 83-23. The biggest question entering Friday's game is whether or not the Panthers will have the Greater Catholic League-South's leading passer, Michael Bittner, under center. Bittner left the Lakota East game after just four plays last week. Junior backup Matthew Luebbe came on in relief and scored three touchdowns (one passing, two rushing) in the win.

Picks: Colerain (Springer, Weber, Hatch, Snodgrass, Dermer, Richardson) Elder (ElderHSFan02).
Old 11-16-18, 11:27 AM
All District

Why would you have a scheme that limits the opportunities for your best players?
Old 11-16-18, 11:29 AM
All American

ElderHSfan02 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ElderHSfan02
Tonight, the state sees that Elder has an unknown dynamic player in Matthew Luebbe and a scrappy, tough defense that holds Colerain to 3 touchdowns.

Elder 28 Colerain 21
Old 11-16-18, 11:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Why would you have a scheme that limits the opportunities for your best players?
You can’t recreate your base offense every year. Elder’s Offense is designed to get the ball to their WRs. Now, this year, you happen to have a stud TE, so it would benefit you to integrate him more. However, you can’t just say Royer is the “X” and expects him to fit that position, that’s not how it works. The “X” has entirely difft Route tree, and is expected to be one of your faster Skill players as he runs a lot of the high numbered routes (7- Deep Corner, 8- post, 9- Go). Those aren’t routes someone like Royer can run.

Again, this is all semantics, Elder just needs to get him the ball.
Old 11-16-18, 11:32 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderHSfan02 View Post
Tonight, the state sees that Elder has an unknown dynamic player in Matthew Luebbe and a scrappy, tough defense that holds Colerain to 3 touchdowns.

Elder 28 Colerain 21
Explain why...
Old 11-16-18, 11:35 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
The good thing is Luebbe looks pretty comfortable throwing on the run (small sample size I know) and I think that's the way Elder is going to move the ball tonight. All WR hands on deck. Trischler, Perry, O'Conner, Royer, etc. And like Omar has said many times, get Schutte involved as well. I don't see that happening considering they haven't used him all year outside of KR.

Can someone refresh my memory on what impact players are out tonight besides Bittner, Masminster, and O'Brien obviously? Is Keyes playing? I don't recall if he played against LE or not.
Old 11-16-18, 11:37 AM
All American

Jerry Maguire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Explain why...
I think he just believes in Luebbe (who if Bittner wasn't a senior, it would've been a total toss up for who started at QB this season) and the defense to come out strong and play a great game. I like the optimism. Wish I was that way.
Old 11-16-18, 11:38 AM
All District

Quote:
You can’t recreate your base offense every year. Elder’s Offense is designed to get the ball to their WRs. Now, this year, you happen to have a stud TE, so it would benefit you to integrate him more. However, you can’t just say Royer is the “X” and expects him to fit that position, that’s not how it works. The “X” has entirely difft Route tree, and is expected to be one of your faster Skill players as he runs a lot of the high numbered routes (7- Deep Corner, 8- post, 9- Go). Those aren’t routes someone like Royer can run.

Again, this is all semantics, Elder just needs to get him the ball.
To me, you're contradicting yourself.

If the key is just get him the damn ball (which I agree with), does that only apply to playoff games? With a kid that athletic, that should be your plan every game.

He should have 10+ opportunities every game, regardless of scheme.

Honestly, with how fast Luebbe is, same with him.
Old 11-16-18, 11:44 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Maguire View Post
I think he just believes in Luebbe (who if Bittner wasn't a senior, it would've been a total toss up for who started at QB this season)
I think this is what alot of people miss. Luebbe can play, his strengths are just different than Bittners.

He's by far the best chance for a home-run on the Elder offense. I don't know that they lose much with him in there, but the gameplan CANNOT be the same as if Bittner was in there.

That's what worries me (Ramsey not changing with his personnel).
Old 11-16-18, 12:17 PM
All American

Quote:
To me, you're contradicting yourself.

If the key is just get him the damn ball (which I agree with), does that only apply to playoff games? With a kid that athletic, that should be your plan every game.

He should have 10+ opportunities every game, regardless of scheme.

Honestly, with how fast Luebbe is, same with him.
My point was, Elder canít overhaul the core concept of their offense. They donít need to make a structural change, but add some plays to get Royer the ball. Donít scrap the Offense, tweak it.
Old 11-16-18, 12:20 PM
All American

Quote:
The good thing is Luebbe looks pretty comfortable throwing on the run (small sample size I know) and I think that's the way Elder is going to move the ball tonight. All WR hands on deck. Trischler, Perry, O'Conner, Royer, etc. And like Omar has said many times, get Schutte involved as well. I don't see that happening considering they haven't used him all year outside of KR.

Can someone refresh my memory on what impact players are out tonight besides Bittner, Masminster, and O'Brien obviously? Is Keyes playing? I don't recall if he played against LE or not.
Iíd add Austing to that list. I thought he was skipping football to focus on b-ball, but apparently he was injured before the season. Heíd be starting at LB tonight.

Keyes didnít play vs East or Moeller. I do not believe his injury is as significant as the others, bc heís expected to play b-ball. However, Iíd be surprised to see him on the field the rest of the year
Old 11-16-18, 12:23 PM
All American

Quote:
I think he just believes in Luebbe (who if Bittner wasn't a senior, it would've been a total toss up for who started at QB this season) and the defense to come out strong and play a great game. I like the optimism. Wish I was that way.
I think people are underselling Bittner. Heís got a better arm and more size, Luebbe doesnít beat him out no matter what.

That said, none of that matters. Luebbe is the guy now, itís his team.
Old 11-16-18, 12:38 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, maybe I'm wrong. Not really digging for controversy.

Just seems your 2 best offensive players should get the most opportunity. I'm guessing Royer isn't being recruited for his blocking.
Royer definitely an under utilized TE. Your answer to the under utilization of Luebbe, is Bittner. GCL POY. What Coach is not going to give more play making opportunities to the League POY that is on his team?
Old 11-16-18, 12:47 PM
All American

Quote:

Iím hearing that 2 of the 4 Players Listed as Season Ending by some yappsters have been ďCleared to PlayĒ. Nothing on whether they will play but were Cleared to do so.
Old 11-16-18, 01:15 PM
All Ohio

Fatman is on a distinguished road
Will ehsports carry video of the game or will I have to subscribe to: Spectrum Sports (SW Ohio) in order to watch the game on-line?
Old 11-16-18, 01:20 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTY22 View Post
Iím hearing that 2 of the 4 Players Listed as Season Ending by some yappsters have been ďCleared to PlayĒ. Nothing on whether they will play but were Cleared to do so.
I find that very hard to believe, unless they were misdiagnosed. It would be great to have any of the 4 back.
Old 11-16-18, 01:29 PM
All American

Quote:
I find that very hard to believe, unless they were misdiagnosed. It would be great to have any of the 4 back.
Iím not sure if I believe it or not just what I have heard twice today. Also have no clue what the Dr diagnosis was for any of the 4 to begin with.
Old 11-16-18, 01:29 PM
All District

Quote:
Royer definitely an under utilized TE. Your answer to the under utilization of Luebbe, is Bittner. GCL POY. What Coach is not going to give more play making opportunities to the League POY that is on his team?
I'm not saying Luebbe should have been QB with a healthy Bittner. I'm saying they could have found way more ways to get him the ball being their fastest and biggest home-run threat.

He could have played the slot, WR, RB, halfback...any number of different positions to get the ball in your best playmakers hands. I know they did some of it, but, IMO< it should have been way more with him being a top 3 athlete on the team. He probably could be a great DB as well.

I think Leubbe is every bit as good as Bittner, just in different ways.

Last edited by OldSchoolPanther; 11-16-18 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-16-18, 01:57 PM
All American

Quote:
I'm not saying Luebbe should have been QB with a healthy Bittner. I'm saying they could have found way more ways to get him the ball being their fastest and biggest home-run threat.

He could have played the slot, WR, RB, halfback...any number of different positions to get the ball in your best playmakers hands. I know they did some of it, but, IMO< it should have been way more with him being a top 3 athlete on the team. He probably could be a great DB as well.

I think Leubbe is every bit as good as Bittner, just in different ways.
Iím saying go look at Bittnerís Carries and Passing Attempts. Only play with 1 Football and only so many Offensive Plays per game. Multiple Games with 20 or More Rush and Pass Attempts. Bittner did an awesome job so Ramsey kept riding that horse. Iím not disagreeing at all with your point about getting Luebbe more touches. Just trying to answer your question from what I saw this yr with the Offense.
Old 11-16-18, 01:59 PM
All District

You see the difference in speed and athleticism every time he touches it for a long run and you think "man, we should have seen more of that".

Same when Royer goes up and gets a pass. There's just no other two players on the team that can do the things those two do.
Old 11-16-18, 02:03 PM
All District

Quote:
I’m saying go look at Bittner’s Carries and Passing Attempts. Only play with 1 Football and only so many Offensive Plays per game. Multiple Games with 20 or More Rush and Pass Attempts. Bittner did an awesome job so Ramsey kept riding that horse. I’m not disagreeing at all with your point about getting Luebbe more touches. Just trying to answer your question from what I saw this yr with the Offense.
Just because Ramsey chose to do that doesn't mean giving 50% of Bittner's carries to Luebbe wouldn't have resulted in a more explosive offense.

Or 20% more from Trischler in the passing game (Trischler is a great possession receiver, maybe the best ever at Elder, but he's not breaking plays for long TDs).

He's the ONLY player on offense with game-breaking ability.
Old 11-16-18, 02:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Just because Ramsey chose to do that doesn't mean giving 50% of Bittner's carries to Luebbe wouldn't have resulted in a more explosive offense.

Or 20% more from Trischler in the passing game (Trischler is a great possession receiver, maybe the best ever at Elder, but he's not breaking plays for long TDs).

He's the ONLY player on offense with game-breaking ability.
What Ramsey chose to do is reality for what we are watching and commenting on! You donít think he uses his best playmakers properly,no argument from me on that but what he calls and who he plays at whatever position is what we get! Coach Ramsey clearly disagrees with you on who gets the most touches.
Old 11-16-18, 02:21 PM
All District

Quote:
What Ramsey chose to do is reality for what we are watching and commenting on! You don’t think he uses his best playmakers properly,no argument from me on that but what he calls and who he plays at whatever position is what we get! Coach Ramsey clearly disagrees with you on who gets the most touches.
Perhaps why they were 6-4 instead of 8-2.

Of course no one knows, but it's certainly a valid criticism. Decisions impact success. Coaches are decision makers.

That's what has me worried.