Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-17-18, 09:45 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post
I can't tell if you misspoke, are a troll, a faux official, or just don't know what you're talking about.
I can't tell either.

For me, the tackle is legal right up until the QB lands on his head.

grab him - yep

pull him back - yep

pull him down - yep

throw him on his head - nope.

And actually, there should be a discussion about a flagrant foul and a DQ. I'm not saying there should be a DQ, but this is pretty close and it should be considered.
Old 11-17-18, 10:51 AM
All Ohio

jeroe
Zebra.

Can you please clarify something? What penalties are a loss of down? Intentional grounding, illegal touching which is rare but saw it last night, a forward pass to a lineman, and is illegal forward pass? Not sure if that is the correct term for a forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage. Also something I believe needs corrected. On dead ball penalties if the result of the play is a first down but the offense is penalized for dead ball it should be 1st down but instead of 1st and 10 it should be 1st and 25. Last is there a rule about shirts being tucked in?
Old 11-17-18, 11:46 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroe View Post

Can you please clarify something? What penalties are a loss of down?
Fouls with Loss of Down Provisions

Illegal Forward Pass
Intentional Grounding (which is an illegal forward pass)
Illegal Touching

Quote:
Also something I believe needs corrected. On dead ball penalties if the result of the play is a first down but the offense is penalized for dead ball it should be 1st down but instead of 1st and 10 it should be 1st and 25.
The only time you can and will have a new series that is greater than 1st and 10 is if a foul occurs after the ready for play whistle. The rules committees over the years have consistently held that a 15 yard penalty in addition to having a 1st and 25 equates to a double penalty putting the offense at a greater disadvantage than intended by the rules.

Quote:
Last is there a rule about shirts being tucked in?
Yes

Failure to have the jersey tucked in will result in the official directing the player to tuck it in. If the tucking delays the ready for play signal, then an official's time out will be called and that player will be forced to leave the game for one down.

Last edited by AllSports12; 11-17-18 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-17-18, 12:37 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Yes

Failure to have the jersey tucked in will result in the official directing the player to tuck it in. If the tucking delays the ready for play signal, then an official's time out will be called and that player will be forced to leave the game for one down.
FB Bulletin - Week 6; 9/27/18

"Mandatory player equipment worn improperly through play: A. A player’s jersey becomes untucked on the previous down – tell him to tuck it in. If the snap is imminent, wait until the next dead ball to tell him. Do Not, as seen on TV, stop the GC to have him tuck it in."

Our crew will tell him to tuck it in when he can. As directed, we are not going to stop the clock for an untucked jersey.
Old 11-17-18, 12:38 PM
All Ohio

jeroe
Thank you.
Old 11-17-18, 12:43 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
FB Bulletin - Week 6; 9/27/18

"Mandatory player equipment worn improperly through play: A. A player’s jersey becomes untucked on the previous down – tell him to tuck it in. If the snap is imminent, wait until the next dead ball to tell him. Do Not, as seen on TV, stop the GC to have him tuck it in."

Our crew will tell him to tuck it in when he can. As directed, we are not going to stop the clock for an untucked jersey.
No different than what we do..... However, if he doesn't / can't.... After plenty of chances to tuck in, he leaves.

If it gets to that point, he'll figure a way to be like the others or he'll watch from the sidelines, which is the whole reason for this in the first place.

This is a rare occurrence.
Old 11-17-18, 01:00 PM
All Ohio

jeroe
I have another since it appears multiple refs appear to be here at the moment. I believe the call is kick catch interference. In a Punt or Kickoff if no player from the receiving team is in a position to or not attempting to field the kick, must the kicking team allow the ball to hit the field prior to touching the ball?
Old 11-17-18, 01:04 PM
All World

Quote:
I have another since it appears multiple refs appear to be here at the moment. I believe the call is kick catch interference. In a Punt or Kickoff if no player from the receiving team is in a position to or not attempting to field the kick, must the kicking team allow the ball to hit the field prior to touching the ball?
No player from the kicking team may touch or possess a free kick in flight, regardless the location of any player from the receiving team. (Kick Catch Interference)

This prohibition does not apply to scrimmage kicks.
Old 11-17-18, 01:22 PM
All Ohio

smurfyeah19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb9 View Post
Just one note, having worked high school games with 4, 5, 6 (CJ), 6 (2 deep wings), and 7 officials here are my thoughts.

7 would be ideal but also difficult for the reasons stated above, ie higher costs, officials transitioning, and not having state mechanics.

If you use 6, I much prefer having a CJ over an extra deep wing. You lose the back judge in that scenario and you have no eyes from the middle of the field on passing plays. I would prefer 5 to 6 in that regard. While the CJ doesn't have much to do, it does give another set of eyes on most of the action.

Exactly! Learning new mechanics completely would be ridiculous.

The thing that needs worked on IMO is how playoff games are assigned. It literally is all about who you know
Old 11-17-18, 01:56 PM
All Ohio

jeroe
Thanks again I appreciate it. Based on some of the comments as a fan of the sport. I want two things from officials. Obviously the goal for officials is to call the game correctly, and there are many situations throughout a game that are going on. I want to see consistency. In particular each ref may see things that occur very quickly and interpret them slightly differently. I get it.
The same ref, in the same game needs to be consistent on what they are calling or not calling. That is not always the case. Consistency matters during the course of the game.

The second thing unfortunately I have seen 2 crews this year that it was clear didn't understand the rules, lost track of downs, and completely spotted the ball incorrectly. When I mention spotting the ball I do not mean where forward progress ended. I mean incorrect spot following a penalty from the previous line of scrimmage not spot of the foul, not spotting correctly after touch back, not spotting correctly after an incomplete pass etc. I am not talking once but the entire game was a mess. Just bad!

The largest area I see as very inconsistent at all levels is pass interference and defensive holding vs. receivers being allowed to push off and block downfield prior to the ball and after the ball is thrown.

Thank you for what you do it is definitely not a get rich quick scheme. You do it because you are committed to the sport!