Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-17-19, 12:25 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Passing a Civics Test in Order to Graduate College.

4.0 in Field Theory but if you do not know Civics, no diploma for you?

My favorite conservative at it again.

https://www.purdueexponent.org/campu...f18a40ce3.html

More details here:
https://www.goacta.org/news/will-pur...s-campus-needs

The guy doesn't believe in "slow." He wants it in place by next Fall. This is a guy that decided there weren't enough minorities qualifying for entrance so decided the solution would be to build a polytech high school in a warehouse in a poor section of Indy. One year from idea to implementation. After one year of only a Freshmen Class, Indy is asking for a second school.

Last edited by eastisbest; 04-17-19 at 12:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-19, 02:51 AM
All American

FootballFan1795 is on a distinguished road
Couldn't resist:

Old 04-17-19, 06:57 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
One of his best bits. I never once got the impression they were staged. It's the real state of things. But do those factoids really equate to patriotism? I hadn't really considered it before but in hindsight, that's all how I see MY history education. None of that was made real, at least not until WW2 class and even that probably had more to do with movies than anything in history class or passing a civics test.
Old 04-17-19, 06:59 AM
All World

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
College Grads are not the problem....
Old 04-17-19, 08:07 AM
All American

Think I see where this is headed. ---- > Out with the college admissions scandal, and in with the college graduation scandal!
Old 04-17-19, 08:42 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
You are supposed to take and pass a civics/government class in high school, at least you had to when I was in HS in the 90s.

I had a good teacher in my civics class (our school called it Principles of Democracy) and actually took another class in college US Government just because it would be an easy A and credit for my history requirements.

Sure enough I learned nothing new in the college US Government class than I had already learned in the high school class.

I agree with this, that someone needs to pass a basic civics test to graduate.

The test and questions are REALLY not that hard.
Old 04-17-19, 09:39 AM
All American

Qcity is an unknown quantity at this point
Passing a rudimentary test to be allowed to vote would be good.
Old 04-17-19, 10:07 AM
All World

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Having a basic civics/govt knowledge would be a plus. I willing to be happy in knowing that the person voting next to me is the real deal, you know , a U.S. citizen, registered to vote, showed some type of proof of who he, she or it is. After watch Watter on Fox go to college campuses and ask people simple questions and the college students would fail badly. I do not think there is much hope. Look at AOC she graduated from college with major or minor that she has proved beyond doubt she knows nothing, Somehow I believe they would find a way to pass a liberal run class and not need to learn anything.
Old 04-17-19, 10:20 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
After watch Watter on Fox go to college campuses and ask people simple questions and the college students would fail badly. I do not think there is much hope.
This is almost worse than falling for fake facebook memes.
Old 04-17-19, 10:33 AM
All World

I guess it is time for me to be honest about my facebook activity. My wife and I do have a facebook account and we have a total of just 26 friends ( we are very selective on who joins our little friends group by the way you would not be welcomed) I do not go to faccebook unless I am told to look at something ( mostly pictures of grand kids etc} So if you would please find another way to try and put me down, something I really do.
Old 04-17-19, 11:39 AM
All Yappi

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Schools no longer put emphasis on civics/history.

I dated a girl who was valedictorian and attended Columbia University in NYC. She knew how to get an A but could not tell you where Indiana was on a map.
Old 04-17-19, 12:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Schools no longer put emphasis on civics/history.

I dated a girl who was valedictorian

Oh? Serious?

Columbia is private. Purdue is public. Make a difference?

So is this controversial or no? Is the faculty just window dressing "we need more time to look at it" before they agree or does this go against principles?
Old 04-17-19, 12:30 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
You are supposed to take and pass a civics/government class in high school, at least you had to when I was in HS in the 90s.

I had a good teacher in my civics class (our school called it Principles of Democracy)...
Back in the ‘90s, I remember one of my sisters nearly getting into more trouble than she should have in high school for trying to submit this↓ (she gave me a copy) Voice of Democracy speech-essay contest entry (she almost wasn’t allowed to graduate, lol!):

"This is bullsh!t. If America was truly a democracy, I would not be forced, through undue punishment threatened by my civics teacher, to submit this superfluous Voice of Democracy speech, and I would be free to choose not to exercise my voice."

In the end, she didn’t submit the nonessential speech (as it was ultimately deemed) and was still allowed to graduate.

In this day and age, I think Purdue’s President Daniels might also have trouble making this civics test a requirement for graduation.
Old 04-17-19, 12:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
I guess it is time for me to be honest about my facebook activity. My wife and I do have a facebook account and we have a total of just 26 friends ( we are very selective on who joins our little friends group by the way you would not be welcomed) I do not go to faccebook unless I am told to look at something ( mostly pictures of grand kids etc} So if you would please find another way to try and put me down, something I really do.
Falling for fake facebook memes is something you really do. You've posted them on here before
Old 04-17-19, 12:55 PM
All World

If i did I did not get them from facebook, Where do you get all the fake news that you try to pass as fact? CNN? MSNBC ? or do you just take what Happy or Harry pass off as fact?
Old 04-17-19, 01:13 PM
All Yappi

Can you point me to the fake news I've passed off as fact? 19"everyonethatdisagreeswithmeisaliberal"AL63.

And I certainly don't fall for fake facebook memes.
Old 04-17-19, 02:13 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan1795 View Post
Back in the ‘90s, I remember one of my sisters nearly getting into more trouble than she should have in high school for trying to submit this↓ (she gave me a copy) Voice of Democracy speech-essay contest entry (she almost wasn’t allowed to graduate, lol!):

"This is bullsh!t. If America was truly a democracy, I would not be forced, through undue punishment threatened by my civics teacher, to submit this superfluous Voice of Democracy speech, and I would be free to choose not to exercise my voice."

In the end, she didn’t submit the nonessential speech (as it was ultimately deemed) and was still allowed to graduate.

In this day and age, I think Purdue’s President Daniels might also have trouble making this civics test a requirement for graduation.
Your sister didn't understand what a democracy is then (and the US is not a democracy anyway).

In a true democracy if 50%+ say you are going to do something, then you have to do it. So if more than half of the US said she needed to pass her democracy class with an essay, then she had to do that essay.

Only in republics based around individual rights (like the US) would her statement have some validity .
Old 04-17-19, 03:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
In a true democracy if 50%+ say you are going to do something, then you have to do it. So if more than half of the US said she needed to pass her democracy class with an essay, then she had to do that essay.
With this being a Voice of Democracy speech-essay, she was supposed to focus on democracy as ‘the belief in freedom and equality between people, or a system of government based on this belief, in which power is either held by elected representatives or directly by the people themselves.

And, if a majority of citizens in an US democracy had voted that she had to submit this speech-essay in order to graduate, I’m sure she would have submitted it. Obviously, that wasn’t the case, though, and she knew it. Really, I think she was just trying to pizz off her teacher, whom she couldn’t stand.
Old 04-17-19, 04:33 PM
All American

Tardis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballFan1795 View Post

When Daniels came he faced all sorts of animosity with his fiscally conservative plans. Trying to remove administrative bureaucracy, freezing tuition, cutting budgets and cost. Now he's pretty beloved because now there is an understanding that he was trying to make Purdue better for everyone and he is setting up Purdue for growth while controlling costs that are not important to education.

It's almost a shame that he is at Purdue because what he has done for Indiana and Purdue would be a breath of fresh air at the federal level.

https://reason.com/2018/07/24/mitch-...merica-bailout
Old 04-17-19, 05:04 PM
All Yappi

"rumor" is, he was approached for DOE. Didn't want.

Frustration: Purdue lost a major Bezo develpment because of an old low hanging country bridge. NOW they're going to fix it. grrrr

I LIKE the idea of the civics requirement but as a graduation test? Yikes. Make it a required course. One credit. They have these.

Anyhow, I have to believe ulterior motives. He's not a one-stepper. He has a whole campus of highly accomplished "non-citizens" that I imagine he'd like to get on a path of citizenship.

Dude's over 70, rides a hog, has to have $$$ and he wants to hang around Lafayette, IN doing good? He's not even from there. Beyond my IQ to understand.
Old 04-17-19, 06:35 PM
All Yappi

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post

Oh? Serious?

I knew you'd get a kick out of that. Did I mention she was def and blind?

Perhaps Daniel's wants to leave a legacy. From a young age I read the obits. There are definitely people that wanted to impact as many people as they could positively in order to leave the world in a better place.

We scramble for math and science and rightfully so. So many citizens are ignorant to how their own government operates. I think it is a great idea.
Old 04-17-19, 06:46 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
When Daniels came he faced all sorts of animosity with his fiscally conservative plans. Trying to remove administrative bureaucracy, freezing tuition, cutting budgets and cost. Now he's pretty beloved because now there is an understanding that he was trying to make Purdue better for everyone and he is setting up Purdue for growth while controlling costs that are not important to education.

It's almost a shame that he is at Purdue because what he has done for Indiana and Purdue would be a breath of fresh air at the federal level.

In 2008 Mitch Daniels would have been the ideal candidate to take on and beat Obama. He was successful in every government poistion he held. He skipped runing for President because of the toll it would have taken on his family. The country was worse for him having done so.
Old 04-17-19, 09:51 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcity View Post
Passing a rudimentary test to be allowed to vote would be good.
yes

Like, maybe register to vote in the way we always did when you move ? Too dumb, no vote
Old 04-18-19, 02:26 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

My point is that I can’t imagine today’s helicopter-parent ‘customers’ (who help pay tuition) wanting their Lil Johnny’s graduation/future to all boil down to passing a single civics test. Just look at how far some of these parents will go to guarantee his admission!

Heck, my sister is now one of those helicopter parents, and if she, herself, refused to submit a speech tied to her own graduation, I doubt she'd be okay with a similar requirement for her kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I LIKE the idea of the civics requirement but as a graduation test? Yikes. Make it a required course. One credit. They have these.
This.^^ Today’s parents might accept a one-credit-course graduation requirement, though.

Last edited by FootballFan1795; 04-18-19 at 02:38 AM.
Old 04-19-19, 09:03 AM
All Yappi

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
How about having to pass a civics test to become a presidential candidate?
Old 04-19-19, 09:23 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom 48 View Post
How about having to pass a civics test to become a presidential candidate?
That would be a great idea. We would have suffer with Obama, he does not know how many states there are. How about congress too. I bet we would lose a bunch right now if they had to pass a test.
Old 04-19-19, 12:02 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post
College grads are capable of being just as stupid as anyone else. I think we've managed to prove that over and over again.
Old 04-19-19, 12:51 PM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post
I think every Democrat in the House and Senate have degrees. Most of the country would beg to differ.
Old 04-19-19, 01:39 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Can we clone this guy and make them president of every public university?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: