Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-17-19, 03:44 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post

Fact of the matter is, a kid in school is extremely safe, but 113 is still a big deal.
It is, especially when compared with school systems with volunteer staff and faculty having access to firearms. The number in those schools is zero.
Old 04-17-19, 04:00 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
All good points, and you're right about the lasting impact on clasmmates and communities. When I say "not a big deal", though, I mean statistically the chances of a child being killed in a school shooting are minuscule. Poorly worded/explained on my part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
It is a big deal.

If that many kids each year died at school because of (fill in the blank) then it likely changes the narrative because gun violence is a hot button topic.

Fact of the matter is, a kid in school is extremely safe, but 113 is still a big deal.
Is this a bigger deal? :

"Each year approximately 800 school-aged children are killed in motor vehicle crashes during normal school travel hours. This figure represents about 14 percent of the 5,600 child deaths that occur annually on U.S. roadways and 2 percent of the nation’s yearly total of 40,000 motor vehicle deaths. Of these 800 deaths, about 20 (2 percent)—5 school bus passengers and 15 pedestrians—are school bus–related.The other 98 percent of school-aged deaths occur in passenger vehicles or to pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists. A disproportionate share of these passenger vehicle–related deaths (approximately 450 of the 800 deaths, or 55 percent) occur when a teenager is driving."

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/sr/sr269.pdf

Point taken as to school shootings having a greater emotional impact. Still, the fact that we blithely accept the deaths of 800 students per year to school-related transportation means we're wringing our hands in the wrong direction.
Old 04-17-19, 04:30 PM
All American

m14brian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Is this a bigger deal? :

"Each year approximately 800 school-aged children are killed in motor vehicle crashes during normal school travel hours. This figure represents about 14 percent of the 5,600 child deaths that occur annually on U.S. roadways and 2 percent of the nation’s yearly total of 40,000 motor vehicle deaths. Of these 800 deaths, about 20 (2 percent)—5 school bus passengers and 15 pedestrians—are school bus–related.The other 98 percent of school-aged deaths occur in passenger vehicles or to pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists. A disproportionate share of these passenger vehicle–related deaths (approximately 450 of the 800 deaths, or 55 percent) occur when a teenager is driving."

Point taken as to school shootings having a greater emotional impact. Still, the fact that we blithely accept the deaths of 800 students per year to school-related transportation means we're wringing our hands in the wrong direction.
Absolutely it is all about perception, fear and emotion.
Getting in your car EVERYDAY you don’t think, as you leave your driveway, about never coming back home.
Seeing school shooting in the news, imprints that on your brain. Especially is you have kids.

Yet that emotion and fear is pumped up to irrational levels.
Old 04-17-19, 04:38 PM
All American

m14brian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldBlood View Post
Maybe you're right about the number of kids that die in school shootings, but I think you are way off to say that school shootings are not a big deal. If a half dozen or dozen kids are killed by their classmate, during the school day, with hundreds of witnesses, the lasting impact of those events on the school, the community and the students is what makes it a big deal. I agree that the media sensationalizes the events and may actually encourage other attention seekers to commit shootings. And in the grand scheme of things children are generally safe in schools certainly safer there than most anywhere else. But in my opinion, anything we would throw into the category of "tragic" qualifies as a "big deal".
It is always tragic when a young person or child dies from whatever the cause maybe.
The abhorrent side effect of the school shootings is the shameless opportunity some groups/individuals uses to push agendas.
Old 04-17-19, 05:09 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Is this a bigger deal? :

I don't think you make a strong point here Z. A pandering point sure but seems to me an argument to emotion.

It's legal to drive to school. Some of these they are the only way to school. Without some proposition to alleviate these deaths, a reasonable means they can be predicted and prevented, seems apples and oranges to me.

It seems a pretense that no one gets upset if a school bus is in an accident. Of course those get investigated and punishments handed out if warranted and of course people are extremely upset that they happen. But they're not caused generally by the purposeful actions of a person to kills lots of kids.

But if someone wanted to, I suppose they could create an anti-bluebird social-political movement. They just need a good acronym and a go-fund-me.
Old 04-18-19, 07:59 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
RIP, Columbine victims. God Bless Columbine survivors.

These sentiments, and a three sentence informative bulletin about today's dead woman should be about the extent of Columbine news today.

The news is run by ratings whoring ghouls that are either clueless or without souls.

This is not an opportunity to drive an agenda unless you are an absolute piece of sh1t. We can't advertise for the gratification of dysfunctional humans.

Dung heaps, you know who you are. I'm done itt.
I'm with you, I heard there's going to be memorial services today etc. Is this a good idea? This is exactly what whack jobs that shoot up schools want, fame and notariety. We know the names of the two kids who shot up Colombine because they've been broadcasted thousands of times, and it comes up every year. Stop it!
Old 04-18-19, 08:01 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
113 kids died in 2018 from school shootings. 75-100 kids die every year from peanut allergies. So no, school shootings aren't a big deal. Tragic? Of course. But let's not act like school shootings are anything more than a blip of a danger to children.
Great point. There are many things more dangerous for kids than attending school.
Old 04-18-19, 08:05 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is this a bigger deal? :

I was going to bring up deaths for kids while in vehicles, not necessarily on the way to/fro school. The main difference of course is that those are accidents, and the shootings are a deliberate act. People feel compelled that more laws will stop school shootings, but don't have an alternative to kids getting to schools.

School shootings are tragic, no doubt about that, but we are in a society where violence is glamorized and kids seem to more emotionally unstable than ever. We have grown immune to it.

Admit it, if there was a school shooting on any given day, and "only" 1 -2 people die it wouldn't register much on many people's radars.
Old 04-18-19, 08:27 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Guns are BANNED from schools. It’s illegal to take a gun to school. Never mind that you’re more likely to die on your journey to school.

Then you have peanuts on the other hand... completely legal... the silent killer...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: