Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-13-18, 01:09 PM
All Ohio

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
What happened to the Princeton VS Moeller rivalry

I might be a little bias. But I remember being a Viking and fired up every year for that Moeller game. It was like Ohio State vs Suckigan I mean Michigan sorry. I just want to know why they stopped playing
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-18, 01:30 PM
All Ohio

playboi12 is on a distinguished road
Good question. I would like to see it back on the last game of the season where it belongs! I think the culture of HS sports now leans toward scheduling not to lose instead of tradition. So when you have that, you see games like this fall by the wayside. Princeton's enrollment dropped over the past decade but not to the level where they don't have the horses to compete with Moeller or any other school. I cant wrap my head around it.
Old 07-13-18, 01:34 PM
All Ohio

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by playboi12 View Post
Good question. I would like to see it back on the last game of the season where it belongs! I suppose the culture of HS sports leans toward scheduling not to lose instead of tradition.
I agree. Since they stopped playing Princeton struggled greatly over the years. I think they are getting better now, but it would be great to see this comeback. I just hope Princeton wasn't scared to play Moeller
Old 07-13-18, 02:10 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I suspect Moeller doesn't see much of an upside to playing Princeton as they've been pretty awful ranging back to the last time they played (2004). There's just not much of a benefit in playing a 2, 3 or 4 win team.
Old 07-13-18, 02:18 PM
All American

Rabbit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I suspect Moeller doesn't see much of an upside to playing Princeton as they've been pretty awful ranging back to the last time they played (2004). There's just not much of a benefit in playing a 2, 3 or 4 win team.
I guarantee Moeller would play them every year if the Vikes would schedule them. Moeller would rather play local teams vs. traveling to Louisville, Columbus, Cleveland.
Old 07-13-18, 02:18 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
You may be right. But it is a better upside than playing a team from Canada every year.
Old 07-13-18, 02:26 PM
Freshman

ArnoldRothstien is on a distinguished road
Princeton has done some plucking of good talent as of late from Winton Woods especially. . Mike Daniels is very open about recruiting kids and will get dinged in the near future. Trust me it’s going to happen, but what do they have to lose they’ve been aweful for 10 years.. Other than when McLaughlin was bringing the program back to respectability, he left. They will be better this year and next possibly, but will fall hard from violations
Old 07-13-18, 02:44 PM
All American

oxat622
Thank you guy with 11 posts.

Princeton stopped winning. That's what happened. The last time they played was 2008 when Princeton had Ware, Duckworth, Dwayne Woods etc. and they still couldn't. Should've beat Moeller in 2001 at Galbraith Field
Old 07-13-18, 02:49 PM
Save water....drink beer!

MoeDude is on a distinguished road
Princeton gradually kept dropping in the years after Mancuso. Coach Mancuso was a great rival one of those that if you played against him you hated him but if you played for him you loved him. From discussions I've had with former players he was a really great guy that cared about his players. He also was a master at legally bringing in top talent. I remember players transferring in from Middletown and old Forest Park and making their team a state competitor. Man if Yappi had been around then the Moeller Princeton Banter would have been heated banter full of all kinds of accusations. It was a great rivlary with a lot of respect and animosity. I don't think it will ever reach that level again. Many of good football games were played with a lot of great talent on both sides of the ball.
Old 07-13-18, 05:03 PM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnoldRothstien View Post
Princeton has done some plucking of good talent as of late from Winton Woods especially. . Mike Daniels is very open about recruiting kids and will get dinged in the near future. Trust me it’s going to happen, but what do they have to lose they’ve been aweful for 10 years.. Other than when McLaughlin was bringing the program back to respectability, he left. They will be better this year and next possibly, but will fall hard from violations
Probably just trying to get the guys back that Winton Woods recruited from them to begin with!
Old 07-13-18, 05:04 PM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enough
Those were truly some epic games. It would be pretty cool if both teams could consistently get back to that level someday.
Old 07-13-18, 05:18 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
Probably just trying to get the guys back that Winton Woods recruited from them to begin with!
This!
Old 07-13-18, 09:03 PM
Freshman

ArnoldRothstien is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post

Princeton stopped winning. That's what happened. The last time they played was 2008 when Princeton had Ware, Duckworth, Dwayne Woods etc. and they still couldn't. Should've beat Moeller in 2001 at Galbraith Field
Welcome. 12th post now. We all had to start sometime. Clown
Old 07-13-18, 11:45 PM
All Yappi

warriorblue is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I would have to agree.
Old 07-13-18, 11:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnoldRothstien View Post
Any player that left WW to play for Princeton couldn't hack at WW.
Old 07-14-18, 01:42 AM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
...Things change... demographics, enrollment, economics, coaching and location. Look at Massillon, Canton, Akron, Troy. Nothing lasts forever. That's life. Doesn't mean it couldn't come back...just probably not in our lifetimes.
Old 07-14-18, 05:50 AM
All American

Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
Quote:

As an outsider of both schools I can say I heard the legend of those games.

What happened was the GMC. The game usually went in week 10. The GMC had three rival games week 10. Princeton/Moeller, Oak HIlls/Elder and Colerain/Lasalle. The other 7 GMC schools had a hard time scheduling week 10 so they voted to move the 7 conference schedule to weeks 4-10. Princeton and Moeller could not accommodate that move and the series went away.

All 3 of those series has suffered. Moeller/Princeton never made a return. Oak Hills/Elder has been played in weeks 1, 2, and 3, but has gone away again. Colerain/LaSalle had stopped and now bounced from week 3 to week 1. I think they just reupped for 2 more years.
Old 07-14-18, 03:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent and Regina View Post
As an outsider of both schools I can say I heard the legend of those games.

What happened was the GMC. The game usually went in week 10. The GMC had three rival games week 10. Princeton/Moeller, Oak HIlls/Elder and Colerain/Lasalle. The other 7 GMC schools had a hard time scheduling week 10 so they voted to move the 7 conference schedule to weeks 4-10. Princeton and Moeller could not accommodate that move and the series went away.

All 3 of those series has suffered. Moeller/Princeton never made a return. Oak Hills/Elder has been played in weeks 1, 2, and 3, but has gone away again. Colerain/LaSalle had stopped and now bounced from week 3 to week 1. I think they just reupped for 2 more years.
Great points. Although, i believe the series ended before the GMC went to 7 league games. After that, Moeller didn't want to play anymore because Princeton wasn't winning.
Old 07-14-18, 04:47 PM
All American

Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
According to Elder's website 2004 was the last Elder/Oak Hills game in week 10. In 2005 the game was in week 3.

2004 http://media.elderhs.net/EHSportsArc...istory2004.htm

2005 http://media.elderhs.net/EHSportsArc...istory2005.htm

Also in 2004 this is Moeller schedule http://legacy.ehsports.com/opponents...ler&iyear=2004

2005 http://legacy.ehsports.com/opponents...ler&iyear=2005

Looks like they played in the showdown in 2008, but not since then.