Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: ELKS vs. Birds
ELKS 2 22.22%
Birds 7 77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-18, 10:06 PM
All Region

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
WK 9 : Centerville (0-8) @ Fairmont (6-2)

Fairmont is favored by 19. I am not sure the Elks defense can stop the Firebirds rushing attack this year with the DL injuries. This is probably the year that Fairmont finally wins just like Alter. I would like to think that the Elks can pull an upset, but we are still making too many mistakes. Fairmont wins 35-21.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-18, 11:47 PM
All Ohio

nooks is on a distinguished road
42-10 Kettering.
Old 10-14-18, 09:56 AM
All Ohio

petroglyph is on a distinguished road
How do you rally a team that's on pace to ,maybe, have the worst record in school history?? You know that Fairmont is really,really spoiling for a win given years of beat downs AND chock full of ex Elk. Will they overlook Fairmont and point to the 1 good shot that Centerville has for a win- The Crick?
Old 10-14-18, 11:28 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyph View Post
How do you rally a team that's on pace to ,maybe, have the worst record in school history?? You know that Fairmont is really,really spoiling for a win given years of beat downs AND chock full of ex Elk. Will they overlook Fairmont and point to the 1 good shot that Centerville has for a win- The Crick?
I agree that there is NO way the Fairmont takes the Elks lightly due to their history of frustration. Elks have nothing to lose so will need to play to win vs. playing not to lose to have any chance. The play clock strategy has worked in keeping the games closer but doesn't make sense when playing from behind. Let's go for every 4th down and kick an onside every kick. Why not at this point?
Old 10-14-18, 02:46 PM
All World

FHSBirds99 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm really worried about a big letdown this week after a hard fought loss to Wayne. The one thing that hopefully gets the boys motivated is having a chance to beat Centerville for the first time in 20 years. It's been way too long. Firebird pride!! Let's go Birds!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-18, 03:53 PM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by FHSBirds99 View Post
I'm really worried about a big letdown this week after a hard fought loss to Wayne. The one thing that hopefully gets the boys motivated is having a chance to beat Centerville for the first time in 20 years. It's been way too long. Firebird pride!! Let's go Birds!!!!!

But at the same time, I'm not sure it will mean as much to beat an 0-8 Centerville team.
Old 10-14-18, 06:14 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKSONE View Post
But at the same time, I'm not sure it will mean as much to beat an 0-8 Centerville team.
Oh I think it will, especially if they can help Centerville become 0-9 and avoid becoming Centerville's first win this year.

Old 10-14-18, 07:08 PM
All Yappi

Kyle_E_Woyote is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oh I think it will, especially if they can help Centerville become 0-9 and avoid becoming Centerville's first win this year.

I'm pretty dang sure that coach Miller will have the FIREBIRDS all fired up for this one!
Old 10-14-18, 07:31 PM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

I think you missed the point. When the Firebirds win this game, it won't have as much meaning compared to beating a typical quality Centerville team. Who gets excited about beating an 0-8 team; certainly no L2 playoff points to be gained from the win.
Old 10-14-18, 09:18 PM
Varsity

SouthWestOhio is on a distinguished road
The problem with the defense is the DBs and poor technique. That may not be a problem against Fairmont. The biggest problem with the team is the inability to score. The offense is predictable and obvious with a lack of speed and size. And the awesome freshman QB is not awesome enough to make up for this.
Old 10-14-18, 09:24 PM
All Ohio

jeroe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestOhio View Post
The problem with the defense is the DBs and poor technique. That may not be a problem against Fairmont. The biggest problem with the team is the inability to score. The offense is predictable and obvious with a lack of speed and size. And the awesome freshman QB is not awesome enough to make up for this.
Not trying to start anything. Just curious why a Freshman QB. Was there injuries? Very strange for Centerville to struggle.
Old 10-14-18, 09:30 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroe View Post
Not trying to start anything. Just curious why a Freshman QB. Was there injuries? Very strange for Centerville to struggle.
Great question, lots of rumors but who knows why. Lots of time for the young guy to develop. The senior does something’s better and the freshman is the future. What I have understood was why the senior did not play another position after they played the freshman. Let’s hope after all this focus the freshman received he stays in chs.
Old 10-14-18, 09:36 PM
All Ohio

jeroe
Quote:
Great question, lots of rumors but who knows why. Lots of time for the young guy to develop. The senior does something’s better and the freshman is the future. What I have understood was why the senior did not play another position after they played the freshman. Let’s hope after all this focus the freshman received he stays in chs.
Ohhh geez. If he didn't that would be a kick in the you know what. Well good luck this week.
Old 10-14-18, 09:44 PM
Varsity

If he goes else where the Qb would be a sophomore or a junior coming off of knee injury. That with an almost total turn over on d and o lines may spell another “rebuilding” season next year. Coach is in a contract year.
Old 10-14-18, 11:51 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKSONE View Post
I think you missed the point. When the Firebirds win this game, it won't have as much meaning compared to beating a typical quality Centerville team. Who gets excited about beating an 0-8 team; certainly no L2 playoff points to be gained from the win.
A win is a win...did Centerville enjoy beating Fairmont when they were down all those years? I bet they did. You're missing the point, these kids don't care if Centerville is 8-0 or 0-8, a win over their rival is a win and one step closer to another playoff year.

Old 10-15-18, 06:00 AM
All Region

Quote:
If he goes else where the Qb would be a sophomore or a junior coming off of knee injury. That with an almost total turn over on d and o lines may spell another “rebuilding” season next year. Coach is in a contract year.
This year's team has just lacked enough talent in the JR and SR classes to win games, not to mention lots of injured players every week. Most in the Elks FB program knew this would be a rebuilding year after last year's SR class graduated. Next year will be another "rebuilding" year but I expect a 6-4 type season, maybe 7-3 if OL/DL grow up quickly. I am hearing the Frosh QB is not going anywhere. It will be interesting to see if the Elks get any more transfers like WR Burnette.

Last edited by ELK Strong; 10-15-18 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-15-18, 06:57 AM
Junior Varsity

Talk some sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I thought contracts for coaches were for one year renewable each year. If so, then every year is a contract year. And I guess every year is heading into free agency as well. Either way, good coaches give their best each year, and their best keeps getting better each year.
Old 10-15-18, 07:08 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
This year's team has just lacked enough talent in the JR and SR classes to win games, not to mention lots of injured players every week. Most in the Elks FB program knew this would be a rebuilding year after last year's SR class graduated. Next year will be another "rebuilding" year but I expect a 6-4 type season, maybe 7-3 if OL/DL grow up quickly. I am hearing the Frosh QB is not going anywhere. It will be interesting to see if the Elks get any more transfers like WR Burnette.
I hope you are right.
Old 10-15-18, 07:09 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk some sense View Post
I thought contracts for coaches were for one year renewable each year. If so, then every year is a contract year. And I guess every year is heading into free agency as well. Either way, good coaches give their best each year, and their best keeps getting better each year.
You could be right, I thought the deal was a two year thing.
Old 10-15-18, 07:21 AM
All District

fangwoc is on a distinguished road
Centerville issues

You guys remember the last 40 years of football at Centerville. Always a tough hard nosed team that is well coached with no excuses. Ever since Ullery left they have had the excuses creeping in and lack of toughness at times. I bet if they ran triple option they would have 3-4 wins on the year. That is the risk you take when you mess with success because you gave in to parent pressure like they did 5 years ago. I know they have had some success over that time but throwing the ball all the time is generally not the answer in HS football, Too many variables can go wrong too often. I just thinks its funny to here about all the injuries as the problem etc... Centerville had no excuses and never used them for any reason for over 40 years. Now, not so much.
Old 10-15-18, 07:41 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangwoc View Post
You guys remember the last 40 years of football at Centerville. Always a tough hard nosed team that is well coached with no excuses. Ever since Ullery left they have had the excuses creeping in and lack of toughness at times. I bet if they ran triple option they would have 3-4 wins on the year. That is the risk you take when you mess with success because you gave in to parent pressure like they did 5 years ago. I know they have had some success over that time but throwing the ball all the time is generally not the answer in HS football, Too many variables can go wrong too often. I just thinks its funny to here about all the injuries as the problem etc... Centerville had no excuses and never used them for any reason for over 40 years. Now, not so much.
No excuses. We are just not very good this year and the offensive style has nothing to do with it. Every program, even the mighty D1 GCL teams, have a down year. We have Ullery again and can assure you that hard work and dedication are not the issue. The scoreboard is the problem with the Elks giving up 31 points/game and only scoring 12 points/game.
Old 10-15-18, 07:32 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
No excuses. We are just not very good this year and the offensive style has nothing to do with it. Every program, even the mighty D1 GCL teams, have a down year. We have Ullery again and can assure you that hard work and dedication are not the issue. The scoreboard is the problem with the Elks giving up 31 points/game and only scoring 12 points/game.
Sort of a chicken and egg thing, defense giving up points because offense cannot stay on field. Offense is not geared to talent available. A jet sweep works with speed last year, you do not have that speed this year. RPO work with blocking last year, you do not have the same o line this year. They needed to adjust to talent and didn’t.
Old 10-15-18, 08:08 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
When it comes to the playoffs this game means NOTHING to Fairmont, Fairmont is in with a win over Springfield regardless. Now, this being a rival game I am sure Fairmont wants this win badly since it has been way over 20 years, dang, I can't even remember... since they beat the ELKS....
Old 10-15-18, 09:03 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
When it comes to the playoffs this game means NOTHING to Fairmont, Fairmont is in with a win over Springfield regardless. Now, this being a rival game I am sure Fairmont wants this win badly since it has been way over 20 years, dang, I can't even remember... since they beat the ELKS....
Has nothing to do with seeding? How about 1st round opponent?

Old 10-15-18, 09:18 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Has nothing to do with seeding? How about 1st round opponent?

I was talking about making the playoffs compared to not making it.

It could make a difference is seeding and possibly a home field.....
Old 10-15-18, 09:34 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I was talking about making the playoffs compared to not making it.

It could make a difference is seeding and possibly a home field.....
Oh ok, that's what I was talking about...I know the kids would love to have a first round home game. We fans would love it too!! Pretty much sucked traveling to and from Bradley last year, especially after the loss. Might be a rematch this year though.