Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Old 05-22-19, 01:56 PM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCorps View Post
I will get a schedule and watch a couple of games if that comes to fruition.
Come see St. Eds at Winton Woods. Its a Saturday afternoon game in week 5 and Im thinking Winton Woods could come in at 4-0 maybe.
Old 05-22-19, 02:01 PM
All Ohio

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
Come see St. Eds at Winton Woods. Its a Saturday afternoon game in week 5 and Im thinking Winton Woods could come in at 4-0 maybe.
I will be there. Thanks, for the heads up.
Old 05-22-19, 07:44 PM
Freshman

redskinfan04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by open24 View Post
What grad class and approx size?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Class of 2020
5í7 195 lbís

Height may keep him from getting a P5 ride but this kid is unreal. Sanduskyís been playing ball for 100+ years and heís ripped up every rushing and scoring record in the record book.
Old 05-22-19, 09:06 PM
All American

oxat622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vike16 View Post
Winton Woods would be favored in a game with Princeton Home or Away. But this game would sell out so quick with all the talent on both teams
It would sell out because Princeton fans only care about beating Winton Woods. Which is cool, I'm glad there's a real rivalry there.

I really like the battering ram Princeton has at running back, Boyd. When McClain and Williams are gone, he'll be the best back in Cincinnati.
Old 05-22-19, 11:01 PM
All Ohio

Redwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
The big name, high recruit guys dont make a team. Having great role players is crucial in high school football.
Well said. From a Hoban perspective, they've obviously had some uber-talented guys these last few years, but their lower profile "glue" guys have been integral parts of their success. Some of those guys are playing lower level college ball, but a lot of them had their football careers end with high school. You can be an excellent high school football player without ever being a college prospect.
Old 05-23-19, 06:00 AM
Varsity

Huge Ted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yep, there's the Hoban machine in action. Kid is a great athlete and had a solid year as a soph on a loaded D and the offers will pour in.

20 minutes west, Wadsworth has a returning 2nd Team All-Ohio LB, Jack Grice. Similar measurables but has an incredible season of film yet who has heard of him? If he played at Hoban would have a huge offer list.

No knock on Ollison, he's poised for a breakout year. Just saying those offers are based on projection and schools trying to build a pipeline to Hoban.

Why would a kid have more offers if he played at Hoban? College coaches and their recruiting staff can't find Wadsworth?
Old 05-23-19, 06:38 AM
All American

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Ted View Post
Why would a kid have more offers if he played at Hoban? College coaches and their recruiting staff can't find Wadsworth?
Same reason a kid at Massillon has more offers. Exposure and head coach. Hobanís coach has a very good relationship with college coaches and his opinion of a player is respected by these coaches. While he does it in a low profile way, (you wonít see him on social media, in fact he hates it), Massillon coach Moore uses social Media and his relationship with colleges coaches to promote his players, and he does a very good job of it. The other main reason they get more offers is more coaches walking through the doors of the school to see multiple players. If you are a college coach and you only have so much time, would u go to a school who has 5-10 college prospects, or a school with 1-2?
Old 05-23-19, 06:40 AM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is somewhat true. College football coaches recruit the name on the back of the jersey not the name on the front. But some high schools do get players more college ready than others.
Old 05-23-19, 07:35 AM
Varsity

Huge Ted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Same reason a kid at Massillon has more offers. Exposure and head coach. Hobanís coach has a very good relationship with college coaches and his opinion of a player is respected by these coaches. While he does it in a low profile way, (you wonít see him on social media, in fact he hates it), Massillon coach Moore uses social Media and his relationship with colleges coaches to promote his players, and he does a very good job of it. The other main reason they get more offers is more coaches walking through the doors of the school to see multiple players. If you are a college coach and you only have so much time, would u go to a school who has 5-10 college prospects, or a school with 1-2?
What your saying was true 40 years ago but not today. Colleges have huge budgets for talent evaluation. They know where every kid is regardless of school size or who the coach is.They break down every second of film and evaluate them live at their camps. They don't rely on a high school coaches opinion when they decide who to offer for the most part. They do want to hear about a kids character or work ethic if those things are in question. What you describe is more the DIII process not DI.
Old 05-23-19, 08:09 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Yes it is Ted. Ask a recruiter. Level of competition figures into it. They do a good job of mitigating that risk these days but it does exist.

So do "pipelines". Once a program establishes a good record of successful D1 recruits many coaches seek to cultivate it, and are more apt to take a risk or reach on a player to keep that going. OSU and other top FBS programs definitely want in good with Hoban (and many others) who frequently produce great prospects.
Old 05-23-19, 08:29 AM
Varsity

open24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just used the Wadsworth kid as an example because same area and position.

If a recruiter has limited time, does he go to the school that graduates multiple D1 guys a year or the school that has had maybe a few in their history? Once a program reaches that "well oiled machine" status, it has it's perks.

Obviously you can be recruited anywhere. Ethan Wright from Manchester and Reid Carrico from Ironton have tons of offers and play at smaller schools. Carrico's film looks like a pee wee game where one of the dad's suits up and demolishes everyone.

Old 05-23-19, 02:32 PM
All Ohio

ELK Strong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Yes it is Ted. Ask a recruiter. Level of competition figures into it. They do a good job of mitigating that risk these days but it does exist.

So do "pipelines". Once a program establishes a good record of successful D1 recruits many coaches seek to cultivate it, and are more apt to take a risk or reach on a player to keep that going. OSU and other top FBS programs definitely want in good with Hoban (and many others) who frequently produce great prospects.
I agree with TP. Once a school establishes a reputation of putting kids consistently in D1 and have success at that level, top FBS program flock there. In Dayton, you can see it over the years at Trotwood & Wayne. Now you are seeing similar results at Northmont & Springfield. The Elks used to put 1-2 OL/DL a year in a P5 school and LBs every couple years.
Old 05-23-19, 08:45 PM
All District

Copley King is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yep, there's the Hoban machine in action. Kid is a great athlete and had a solid year as a soph on a loaded D and the offers will pour in.

20 minutes west, Wadsworth has a returning 2nd Team All-Ohio LB, Jack Grice. Similar measurables but has an incredible season of film yet who has heard of him? If he played at Hoban would have a huge offer list.

No knock on Ollison, he's poised for a breakout year. Just saying those offers are based on projection and schools trying to build a pipeline to Hoban.

Ollison had 97 tackles 22 for loss 8 sacks and 2 Fumble recoveries as a sophomore..... No where similar... What did Brice do as a sophomore???? No knock to Grice...

Last edited by Copley King; 05-23-19 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-23-19, 09:02 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copley King View Post
Ollison had 97 tackles 22 for loss 8 sacks and 2 Fumble recoveries as a sophomore..... No where similar...
Wasn't knocking your son Mr. Ollison, was making a statement about the strength of your program. Damon is a beast on the field and a fine young man off. You have every right to be proud.

97 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 9 sacks, 5 fumble recoveries, 2 int, 1 TD. 2nd Team All Ohio for Grice. No where similar? Oh, and that's playing beside a 1st Team All Ohio LB that ate up 150 tackles himself. Not too shabby.

Old 05-23-19, 09:11 PM
Junior Varsity

Man of Faith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Rocket arm and Jayden Ballard out wide. Ballard a potential top 25 player nationally for 2021. I know the Tigers have some other weapons too but Longwell and Ballard are maybe the best QB/WR anywhere.

Kids a player!
Old 05-23-19, 09:20 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Wasn't knocking your son Mr. Ollison, was making a statement about the strength of your program. Damon is a beast on the field and a fine young man off. You have every right to be proud.

97 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 9 sacks, 5 fumble recoveries, 2 int, 1 TD. 2nd Team All Ohio for Grice. No where similar? Oh, and that's playing beside a 1st Team All Ohio LB that ate up 150 tackles himself. Not too shabby.

Great player. Damon plays fast! LBs in the 2021 Class. Damon, and I really like the CJ Hankins kid from Edís. He ate up tackles in the State Championship game and played huge since took the ILB job over, dominated St. Ignatius, watches the Liberty Game on TV, kid brings the wood. Eds moved a kid with many offers to DE to make way for him. Top 2 LB in the 2021 class IMO. Playing TOP competition. Iíll have to check out Grice more, great honors!
Old 05-23-19, 09:27 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
Trayanum is a chiseled thoroughbred, his burst at his size is unbelievable. When he gets in the open field it's a sight to behold. Hamm typically gets dismissed by folks outside the Hoban community, but he's one of the best returning QB's in OH; just a grinder, a great leader, great feel and smarts, can run it and is a very underrated passer. His coaches wouldn't trade him for anyone. Two other high-end seniors at Hoban are TE Caden Clark (committed to Alabama) and LB Devin Hightower (offers from Michigan, Mich St, Cincy, Iowa, Rutgers, Pitt, Toledo and a handful of other MAC schools).
Leaving Eds for Hoban, Looks like Hightower made the right choice.
Old 05-23-19, 09:37 PM
All District

Copley King is on a distinguished road
Ollison is a sophomore with the numbers
Old 05-23-19, 09:57 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Ollison is a sophomore with the numbers
You totally misunderstood my point but whatever, I realize one is a Jr, one is a soph. Why so sensitive?

Old 05-23-19, 10:16 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Who are the biggest impact players gonna be in the state this year? Either from your school, area or wherever you are familiar with?

There are a lot. If your a HS fan in general and go around to watch great players here is a list. Here are a few, tried to get different positions. There all pure football players IMO and have seen them play. There are many not listed. Here is a start.

Ballard. Massillon. WR
Traynum. Hoban. Athlete, RB, S
Kirk. Dublin S
Henry. Princeton. DT
Thomas. Princeton. OL
Williams. Winston Woods. RB.
Hankins. St Edward. ILB
Petrowski. St Edward. DE
Pace. Colerain. S CB
Sawyer. Pick DE
Kenston. QB
Glenville. RB
Seen kid from Orville. Small, but electric
Old 05-23-19, 10:22 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Why so serious....... I get what you're saying...I just like to get a little reaction sometimes...
All good, just didn't want people to think I was taking a shot at a kid. I think we actually agree in a round about way.

Project those soph stats out 2 more years and that is ELITE... that is what I meant by an offer on projection. Earned, no doubt.

Best of luck and health this season!

Old 05-24-19, 08:59 AM
Freshman

hawkeyepsu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK Strong View Post
I would think Prater is the top returning 2020 QB and Jutahn McClain the top returning 2020 RB in SW OH. Cincinnati area is loaded.
Agree about Prater. Otto Kuhns from Bloom Carroll is right on his heels and should have a good year. Both are impressive dual sport athletes
Old 05-25-19, 10:23 AM
Varsity

Bangally Kamara - Jr. - OLB - Akron East

Nathan Spatny - So. - LB - Medina

Two defensive studs from NEO.

Old 05-26-19, 02:50 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
what grad class and approx size?

Sent from my sm-n950u using tapatalk
i have to see this kid in person!
Old 05-30-19, 06:26 PM
All American

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyepsu View Post
Agree about Prater. Otto Kuhns from Bloom Carroll is right on his heels and should have a good year. Both are impressive dual sport athletes
Otto is not only one hell of a player and an even better prospect, but an even better rounded young man. I talked with his dad about a year ago and he mentioned that Otto could have all the offers on the table he earned and, no matter the football level of competition, he was going to pick the best school for his academic pursuits! I hope he can earn one from Vanderbilt or uPitt. Whoever gets him is getting a great land for this upcoming class. Good luck to Otto and his family — go Bulldogs!