Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Notices

Old 12-14-13, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Mentor Cardinals 2013-14

The defending DI state champions will open their regular next week. Last season's tournament run was one I will never forget. Hardly the most talented Mentor roster, yet the boys played extremely well in the month of March as they won all eight tournament games by 9 points or more. It wrapped up with two wins in Columbus against Northland and Rogers. What a season!

There will be a lot of change in the roster from last March/April. Aside from losing three very valuable seniors (Jeff Foreman, Brody Nelson, and Michael Gallagher) - Brandon Fritts is going to start his college football career early as he enrolls at North Carolina next month. A couple of very good athletes (and potential impact basketball players) like Kent Berger and Delvon Maddox, standout defensive ends on the football team, have decided to give up basketball for their senior season. While Berger and Maddox wouldn't have had the impact that Fritts would have had, they will also be missed.

The graduation of the seniors and the three football players deciding to concentrate on their college sport means a lot more pressure on some unproven players who received little or no varsity experience in 2012-13. Only four players received critical varsity minutes last season.

Projected starting lineup:

G- 6'2 Conner Krizancic (12)
G- 6'0 Kyle Hagey (12)
G- 6'3 Caleb Potter (12)
G/F- 6'8 Kade McClure (12)
C- 6'10 Micah Potter (10)

Bench: Joey Zaveg, Ian Tenkku, Michael Ours, Kyle McIntosh, Andrew Vallen

Schedule:

12/19 vs Shaker Heights
12/21 @ Euclid
12/23 vs Riverside
12/27 @ Arby's Classic (Bristol, TN) - Round 1 opponent is Oak Ridge (TN)
12/28 @ Arby's Classic (Bristol, TN)
12/30 @ Arby's Classic (Bristol, TN)
12/31 @ Arby's Classic (Bristol, TN)
1/3 @ Brunswick
1/5 vs St Edward (at Baldwin Wallace)
1/10 vs Strongsville
1/11 @ Stow
1/14 @ Garfield Heights
1/17 @ Medina
1/18 vs Willoughby South
1/24 vs Garfield Heights
1/26 vs VASJ (at D4D at Walsh University)
1/31 @ Shaker Heights
2/1 vs Arlington Country Day (Florida) @ Huntington Prep OJ Mayo Classic in WV
2/7 vs Brunswick
2/8 vs Massillon Jackson
2/14 @ Strongsvlle
2/20 vs Medina

2013-14 Outlook:

Mentor should maintain some of their strengths from last season. Size, rebounding, half court defense, shooting, and high basketball IQ. Rebounding will not be a problem with the size in their starting lineup. What they do lack is a point guard and an alpha dog. Krizancic, Potter, and McClure show ability to be very good guards to compliment an alpha dog. Can/will any of them take that role that Jeff Foreman did last year? Who will be the point guard? Krizancic will to start. Potter and Hagey will certainly have a chance.

I predict 15 or 16 regular season wins. Arby's Classic will have a couple of very tough opponents. Two games with Shaker/Garfield along with non-conference games against Eds, VASJ, and Massillon Jackson. Medina looks to be strong this year and is capable of winning a game against Mentor. I think the Cards will be one of the top four seeds at the combined Euclid/Solon district. Should be a fun season.

Last edited by cardzfan1234; 12-15-13 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Fixed schedule
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-13, 10:00 AM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Micah Potter...6'10", 10th grade...what kind of player? Where is he in terms of his physical development/maturity?
Old 12-14-13, 10:23 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Micah Potter...6'10", 10th grade...what kind of player? Where is he in terms of his physical development/maturity?
I can't say for sure. I haven't really seen him play yet. He did get a little bit of action in garbage time last year as a freshman. He was also in a boot for a good part of the season. I know he stood out in the AAU circuit.

http://ohiovarsity.com/index.php/com...tate-champions

According to this preview:

Quote:
Potter has worked tirelessly in the offseason and has changed his body type and his game to fit Krizancicís up-tempo, wide-open style. Potter is a physical presence with a long wingspan and good basketball IQ. He will certainly help fill the rebounding void left by the absence of Fritts.
Big guys don't fit very well into Mentor's system. That is why I feel Mentor has lacked size over the years. Big men are not interested or encouraged to develop in a system that requires them to be a guard. Kade McClure is a 6'8 guard. Potter is not at the same athletic body type as McClure, but it sounds like he was trying.
Old 12-14-13, 07:44 PM
All Ohio

hoophi55
What happened to Fritts? starter last yr? Where is he? Thanks
Old 12-14-13, 07:57 PM
All District

MENTORFBALL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoophi55 View Post
What happened to Fritts? starter last yr? Where is he? Thanks
See above. He's graduating from Mentor early and enrolling at NC in January.
Old 12-15-13, 08:00 PM
All Yappi

Ranking the opponents:

1: Arlington Country Day (FL) - The No. 13 team in USA Today's National pre-season rankings.

2-4: VASJ/Eds/Shaker: IMO, these are the three best teams in Greater Cleveland. Not sure what order yet. Shaker will be played twice.

5/6: The top two teams Mentor will play at the Arby's Classic will likely be better than most Ohio teams on their schedule. Of course, we don't know what opponents that will be yet. But if the past few seasons is any indication, Mentor will have their hands full in their final two games.

7-9: Some combination of Garfield/Medina/Jackson: Three good, but not great, teams in NEO. Mentor is fully capable of losing a couple of these games (will total five games since Mentor plays Garfield and Medina twice).

10: Brunswick - The last team to beat the Cardinals can't be overlooked.

11: Euclid - The Panthers will be improved this year and will not be an easy out on their home floor.

Others: Arby's Classic opponents, Stow, Strongsville, South, and Riverside

In other words - the schedule is loaded.
Old 12-18-13, 01:34 PM
All Yappi

Mentor opens up tomorrow at home against Shaker, possibly the most talented team on their schedule. You can bet that Shaker, still haunted by their game at CSU in March, is really pumped for this one. Mentor should be too as they have a lot to prove to themselves...at least the new faces to varsity do.

Will Krizancic play tomorrow? I hope so, but could see it going either way.
Old 12-18-13, 03:56 PM
Junior Varsity

Bballdog is on a distinguished road
Watched Shaker play a couple of times and like Cardzfan said VERY talented and they have a major star in the making with Esa Ahmad 27pts per game tremendous post play and now emerging perimeter shooter ..if Mentor somehow doesn't show any rust it should be a super game
Old 12-18-13, 04:04 PM
All District

Cougar Nation is on a distinguished road
Per cleveland.com article: "Conner Krizancic won't play this week as he recovers from the football season, which leaves Caleb Potter as the only returning starter on opening night."
Old 12-18-13, 07:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Nation View Post
Per cleveland.com article: "Conner Krizancic won't play this week as he recovers from the football season, which leaves Caleb Potter as the only returning starter on opening night."
That will present an even bigger challenge tomorrow night. Mentor could be in some serious trouble as they try to solve their matchup problems, lack of a point guard, and overall inexperience. Shaker is a very talented and experienced team. I hate to say it, but the game could get ugly. I hope not.
Old 12-18-13, 09:19 PM
All Yappi

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...te-title-video
Old 12-19-13, 10:34 AM
All American

lc5397 is on a distinguished road
Recovering from what?
Old 12-19-13, 01:02 PM
Junior Varsity

lakecountysportsfan is on a distinguished road
He is recovering from a concussion in football. He hasn't been cleared by the doctor to play yet. Plus he was pretty banged up from football and just needs rest. He probably won't play to they get to the Arby's Classic, if then. Should be an interesting season with or without him. Not a very deep team at all. Coach K and staff have their work cut out for them to get this group to be a top team in the area.
Old 12-19-13, 02:02 PM
All American

Thank you for affirming my point. Mentor's decision to play him at the end of the football title game is the exact kind of decision that is going to lead to the eventual downfall of that sport. It was a clear violation of OHSAA policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountysportsfan View Post
He is recovering from a concussion in football. He hasn't been cleared by the doctor to play yet. Plus he was pretty banged up from football and just needs rest. He probably won't play to they get to the Arby's Classic, if then. Should be an interesting season with or without him. Not a very deep team at all. Coach K and staff have their work cut out for them to get this group to be a top team in the area.
Old 12-19-13, 10:21 PM
All Yappi

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...s-no-4-mentor/

Mentor played very well tonight considering what was out there. One starter (Caleb Potter, 34 points) from last year's state championship game played. Only one other contributor (McClure, 14 points) from last year's team got minutes. The rest of the team was made up of guys who played JV ball last year. Considering the talent and experience Shaker has, I was very impressed with how the Mentor coaches have their boys ready to play. Mentor was without Conner Krizancic. FWIW, Shaker was missing one of their stars in Rosel Hurley, a Kent State recruit.

I was impressed Mentor played with Shaker from start to end. That is a good sign for things to come.
Old 12-20-13, 12:39 AM
Freshman

Carnac the Magnifice is on a distinguished road
Krizancic out for shoulder

I love how the picture gets blurred. Krizancic is not out because of a concussion. He was scheduled to sit out for a portion of time because he was banged up from football. He had an MRI on his shoulder or elbow. I believe he was not scheduled to play in this game regardless of injury.
Old 12-20-13, 03:43 AM
All Region

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
Mentor had two of 3 kids either out or hurt. They will be a very tough out for anybody come tourney time. Everybody expected Shaker to kill them because they were so sort handed - did not happen. Looking forward o that January meeting with VASJ at the D4D tournament. That is going to be a battle.
Old 12-20-13, 07:25 AM
Junior Varsity

lakecountysportsfan is on a distinguished road
His head injury was one of the reasons he is sitting. Concussion, shoulder and just plain beat up from football is why he is sitting. He did have a concussion in football and it wasn't his first. Being cautious with a young athlete that has been injured like that is a good thing. I'm sure he will be fine with rest.
Old 12-20-13, 09:01 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Being cautious with a young athlete that has been injured like that is a good thing.
Reading this at my breakfast table, coughing up my Wheaties a little bit...

Did you offer this comment down at Fawcett Stadium a few weeks back?
Old 12-20-13, 10:01 AM
All American

Does his own brother know that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnac the Magnifice View Post
I love how the picture gets blurred. Krizancic is not out because of a concussion. He was scheduled to sit out for a portion of time because he was banged up from football. He had an MRI on his shoulder or elbow. I believe he was not scheduled to play in this game regardless of injury.
Old 12-20-13, 10:17 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
His head injury was one of the reasons he is sitting. Concussion, shoulder and just plain beat up from football is why he is sitting. He did have a concussion in football and it wasn't his first. Being cautious with a young athlete that has been injured like that is a good thing. I'm sure he will be fine with rest.
Link to this? Because all of the articles and people I have talked to say elbow and mention nothing about a concussion at all.

There is absolutely nothing that I have seen with any substance that a concussion is part of the injury. This is a case of some of you presuming instead of knowing.
Old 12-20-13, 10:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
Thank you for affirming my point. Mentor's decision to play him at the end of the football title game is the exact kind of decision that is going to lead to the eventual downfall of that sport. It was a clear violation of OHSAA policies.
Except there is nothing at all to support this post from a random message board user who isnt close to the program. Get any proof whatsoever instead of hearsay and then people will take your blind accusations (and obsession to hate on Mentor) more seriously.
Old 12-20-13, 10:37 AM
All American

I've heard from multiple people sourcing his own family that he was being observed hourly for concussion symptoms/complications in the days and week after the title game.

I really don't hate Mentor. I do have some "sports hate" for Triv (please try and understand the difference between sports hate and real hate). He's clearly the kind of coach you love if he's your guy but his act and demeanor rubs almost everybody else he comes in contact with the wrong way. His decision to put Krizancic back in the game in clear violation of OHSAA rules and state law reinforced my opinion of him after somewhat softening my opinion as I thought he had finally started to mellow with age.

Coach Krizancic is one of my favorite high school coaches I've ever had the opportunity to meet and talk with.

And even if he wasn't out for the start of the basketball season at least in part due to the concussion, it doesn't take away from the fact Triv/Mentor made a dangerous, irresponsible, probably illegal decision to put Krizancic back into the title game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Except there is nothing at all to support this post from a random message board user who isnt close to the program. Get any proof whatsoever instead of hearsay and then people will take your blind accusations (and obsession to hate on Mentor) more seriously.
Old 12-20-13, 10:37 AM
All Yappi

It has not been mentioned in the paper that he did or didn't have a concussion. Anybody watching Krizancic come off the field could tell that he wasn't right. But I don't want THIS thread to continue down that road.

It will be nice to get Krizancic back. The trio of Potter, Krizancic, and McClure will be tough for most teams to handle. All are such fantastic athletes and talented basketball players. Kyle Hagey showed a lot yesterday as well. It should be a good season. The next two games (Euclid and Riverside) should be a couple of wins as the team heads into the Arby's Classic.
Old 12-20-13, 10:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
It has not been mentioned in the paper that he did or didn't have a concussion. Anybody watching Krizancic come off the field could tell that he wasn't right. But I don't want THIS thread to continue down that road.

It will be nice to get Krizancic back. The trio of Potter, Krizancic, and McClure will be tough for most teams to handle. All are such fantastic athletes and talented basketball players. Kyle Hagey showed a lot yesterday as well. It should be a good season. The next two games (Euclid and Riverside) should be a couple of wins as the team heads into the Arby's Classic.
Well these idiots are the ones speculating and starting stuff like always. A lot of people on this site need to get a few more hobbies and get a life.

As for lc's phantom sources, I call bs. This guy always brings up the "I heard this" or "I heard that" blah blah blah. The kid lives across the way from me and goes to my church and I have heard none of that. Until I see anything objective instead of this subjective/vague bs, I wont take him as credible.

Also acting like Triv hurt him more is bs. The kid came in one play and threw a TD while not being touched after that big hit. The injury wasn't worsened at all by him coming in one play no matter what you feel about his supposed injury. He would have been out regardless.
Old 12-20-13, 10:47 AM
All American

I respect that request, cardzfan.

There's a thread over on the football side to discuss this if anybody so chooses.

Good luck to the Cards cagers this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post

Old 12-20-13, 11:37 AM
All District

Manyfeathers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well these idiots are the ones speculating and starting stuff like always. A lot of people on this site need to get a few more hobbies and get a life.

As for lc's phantom sources, I call bs. This guy always brings up the "I heard this" or "I heard that" blah blah blah. The kid lives across the way from me and goes to my church and I have heard none of that. Until I see anything objective instead of this subjective/vague bs, I wont take him as credible.

Also acting like Triv hurt him more is bs. The kid came in one play and threw a TD while not being touched after that big hit. The injury wasn't worsened at all by him coming in one play no matter what you feel about his supposed injury. He would have been out regardless.
http://www.jjhuddle.com/forums/filed...hotoid=1113945

Is brother would know.....
Old 12-20-13, 11:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing that I have seen with any substance that a concussion is part of the injury. This is a case of some of you presuming instead of knowing.
You mean sorta like what you do with private schools and the acquisition of athletically talented students ?

I would ask you in future conversations to keep this standard of proof in mind.
Old 12-20-13, 01:43 PM
All American

You're completely missing the point if this is your defense of a horrible, dangerous decision. Player safety, specifically related to head injuries, is the defining issue right now across all levels of football. The ends do not justify the means.

Quote:
Old 12-20-13, 07:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc5397 View Post
You're completely missing the point if this is your defense of a horrible, dangerous decision. Player safety, specifically related to head injuries, is the defining issue right now across all levels of football. The ends do not justify the means.
I couldn't open the JJ Huddle crap. I have still seen nothing with any substance FROM YOU that he has a concussion. And your phantom sources do nothing for me. You already said you were at St Mary's when I was for the Lake Catholic teams in 91/92 and tried to tell me that what I saw first hand didnt happen with them visiting. So I am not believing your bs here either.

I'm not missing any point because you have made no points. You have made accusations with no substance whatsoever. I am just saying that it is plain stupid to act like the injury is worse for him playing one more play in which he wasn't touched. Stupidity is your specialty though so this is nothing new.

Last edited by MentorGrad2002; 12-20-13 at 07:48 PM..