Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-13, 08:47 AM
All World

TheDude is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/...z/-/index.html

Last edited by TheDude; 04-30-13 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-29-13, 08:57 AM
All Region

CincyHSfootball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLvball View Post
Is it just me, or is anyone else completely baffled when they see a story like this?? What brings an individual to such a low that they start shooting... People confuse me

http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/...z/-/index.html
It's being reported it is a suicide attempt. Student pulled gun in classroom and turned it on himself. He has been taken to hospital. Story still developing.
Old 04-29-13, 09:03 AM
All World

TheDude is an unknown quantity at this point

Last edited by TheDude; 04-30-13 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-29-13, 11:37 AM
All Ohio

polar panther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLvball View Post
I understand that there are some people out there that are not happy with their lives and have had it rough, but I will never understand the need to commit suicide in a public area. Why put that in people's heads the rest of their lives.
Obviously this young man was not in a good frame of mind, I'm not condoning his actions in anyway, I'm just saying that as of this morning, he probably wasn't thinking how others would have to deal with this. Thankfully no one else was injured, this could have been much worse. Our prayers should go out to everyone at LaSalle today.
Old 04-29-13, 02:04 PM
All American

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Rough year at LaSalle. Their whole community is in my prayers.
Old 04-30-13, 11:20 AM
Freshman

EJHPSI is on a distinguished road
Despite the request for privacy by the parents of this troubled young man, The Enquirer chose to reveal the name of student. My subscription to this fish-wrapper has been cancelled immediately.
Old 04-30-13, 01:14 PM
All District

5kids
I can't imagine the hell the family and entire La Salle community are going through right now. They will be in my thoughts and prayers for a very long time.
Old 04-30-13, 05:59 PM
All American

Vincent and Regina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJHPSI View Post
Despite the request for privacy by the parents of this troubled young man, The Enquirer chose to reveal the name of student. My subscription to this fish-wrapper has been cancelled immediately.
I am hoping the GCL bans the Enquirer from all the campuses. This was bs to publish the kids name. It does nothing to but bad. The kid already has problems and they just added to them. I refuse to buy their paper.
Old 04-30-13, 08:23 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent and Regina View Post
I am hoping the GCL bans the Enquirer from all the campuses. This was bs to publish the kids name. It does nothing to but bad. The kid already has problems and they just added to them. I refuse to buy their paper.
They have been listing the names of juvenile offenders in court as well. I have no idea what has gotten into them of late. They are now banned from one of the two juvy judges courtrooms and there is litigation going on now which will cost the county taxpayers plenty. It is a shame the Post is not around to act as an alternative.
Old 04-30-13, 08:59 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
They have been listing the names of juvenile offenders in court as well. I have no idea what has gotten into them of late.
Some of those juveniles are the teens who ganged up on and beat a guy because they were "bored."
Quote:
They are now banned from one of the two juvy judges courtrooms and there is litigation going on now which will cost the county taxpayers plenty.
Tracie Hunter is a nut job who appears unsuited for her judgeship. Two of three county commissioners have said they will not approve her request for a private attorney and she will be represented by the prosecutor's office like all other county officials.

Quote:
It is a shame the Post is not around to act as an alternative.
That is true.
Old 04-30-13, 09:39 PM
All Yappi

Nelson Van Alden has a little shameless behaviour in the past
It was a bogus move. No need for either the Enquirer or the Post, print media is dead for a reason.
Old 04-30-13, 10:08 PM
All Yappi

JElder
Devils Advocate:

The student put a ton of kids in danger. He committed multiple felonies including discharging a weapon, inciting panic, bring a gun on school grounds, and not sure if it's a crime but trying to kill himself. Not to mention he was 17 years old, not like it was a 13 year old. Does the student really deserve privacy? Does his family? If this happened at a bus stop in Price Hill in front of 22 other people would we be up in arms over the report of his name? I can't imagine what the other 22 students and the teacher in that classroom are going through. Are they the true victims in this and not the student who tried kill himself?
Old 04-30-13, 10:21 PM
All World

Ehs 2005
Your post makes nearly no sense.
Old 04-30-13, 10:22 PM
All World

Ehs 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Van Alden View Post
It was a bogus move. No need for either the Enquirer or the Post, print media is dead for a reason.
+1
Old 04-30-13, 10:30 PM
All Yappi

JElder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehs 2005 View Post
Care to elaborate?
Old 05-01-13, 07:23 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
Devils Advocate:

The student put a ton of kids in danger. He committed multiple felonies including discharging a weapon, inciting panic, bring a gun on school grounds, and not sure if it's a crime but trying to kill himself. Not to mention he was 17 years old, not like it was a 13 year old. Does the student really deserve privacy? Does his family? If this happened at a bus stop in Price Hill in front of 22 other people would we be up in arms over the report of his name? I can't imagine what the other 22 students and the teacher in that classroom are going through. Are they the true victims in this and not the student who tried kill himself?
17 is still a child. Everyone in this scenario deserves our prayers and best thoughts.
Old 05-01-13, 07:38 AM
All American

cinelder80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehs 2005 View Post
why do you have comprehension issues.
Old 05-01-13, 07:54 AM
All Yappi

JElder
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
17 is still a child. Everyone in this scenario deserves our prayers and best thoughts.
I totally agree with that. I guess I'm just not sure how much empathy I have for the student who tried to kill himself. I would be pissed if I was a parent of a student in the class and would care less if his name was printed. I see both sides of the debate and don't really feel strongly about either side.
Old 05-01-13, 07:56 AM
All World

PURPLE REIGN
Quote:
Devils Advocate:

Yes, the student and his family derserve the privacy they requested. The kid obviously is going through some mental issues and is sick. The way he chose to handle the issues is not right/fair but we don't know and will never know why he chose that time to end it in front of those kids. Either way, the Enquirer had NO REASON to publish his name and should have abided by the family's wishes.

Just my opinion.

Interesting to read the Enquires logic for naming the student and then the comments associated with the article. http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ed-the-student

Last edited by PURPLE REIGN; 05-01-13 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-01-13, 08:01 AM
All Ohio

epanther
There was nothing to be gained by giving his name. Anyone who is associated with LaSalle knew who it was anyway and anybody not associated with the kid doesn't need to know what his name was.
Old 05-01-13, 08:05 AM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple can only hope to improve
Quote:
I totally agree with that. I guess I'm just not sure how much empathy I have for the student who tried to kill himself. I would be pissed if I was a parent of a student in the class and would care less if his name was printed. I see both sides of the debate and don't really feel strongly about either side.
I think there's a lot of empathy for him within the Lasalle community. At least for now.
Old 05-01-13, 08:12 AM
All World

Ehs 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinelder80 View Post
why do you have comprehension issues.
Old 05-01-13, 11:41 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
the Enquirer had NO REASON to publish his name and should have abided by the family's wishes.
Amen to that. The Fourth Estate has become a very unseemly institution. It is just disgraceful.
Old 05-01-13, 09:25 PM
All District

sir lancer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Devils Advocate:

Are you insane????
Old 05-02-13, 07:20 AM
All Yappi

JElder
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir lancer View Post
Are you insane????
Can you not read or do you have reading comp issues? DEVILS ADVOCATE was stated clearly and if you read the comments in the paper many people are saying the things I said about printing his name. Like I said, I don't feel strongly either way with this topic.
Old 05-02-13, 08:27 AM
All Region

CincyHSfootball is on a distinguished road
In this mornings Cincinnati Enquirer a letter to the editor was written by Elder grad Jeff Siefke regarding the tragic situation with the young man at Lasalle that impacted the LaSalle students and community.

I believe the letter is what many of us feel about the situation. I am grateful to Jeff for putting into words what I believe our faith and the Elder tradition have taught us. Job well done, Jeff. I pray for all those in the Lasalle community, the young man and his family.

Here is the letter:

Standing with our LaSalle Brothers

I attended Elder High School in the 1970’s. As it was then and now, the rivalries with Roger Bacon, La Salle, St. Xavier, Purcell, McNicholas and Moeller were intense. It was easy to dislike anyone from a rival school.

In my adulthood, I was reminded that these rivalries are petty and pale in comparison to the common bond and faith that the GCL and GGCL schools share. My nephew, Keith Oblinger, a former student and then an assistant hockey coach at Elder, tragically died in a car accident. As the family grieved, flowers began to arrive. One of the first was from Moeller hockey. I was touched.

Purple Fridays have been going on at Elder since before I started there. When my sons began attending Elder, I started the practice for myself again, wearing a purple shirt to work on Fridays. This Friday, I will wear red in support of my brothers at La Salle.

Jeff Siefke, Delhi Township

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/letters/...alle-brothers/
Old 05-02-13, 08:28 AM
All District

Quote:
Can you not read or do you have reading comp issues? DEVILS ADVOCATE was stated clearly and if you read the comments in the paper many people are saying the things I said about printing his name. Like I said, I don't feel strongly either way with this topic.
No problems with my comprehension - I read the entire post.

Some "devil's advocate" positions are really not appropriate at this time.

What if it was your child? - yes, I know it is a public forum etc... - just poor judgment!!!
Old 05-02-13, 09:37 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSfootball View Post
In this mornings Cincinnati Enquirer a letter to the editor was written by Elder grad Jeff Siefke regarding the tragic situation with the young man at Lasalle that impacted the LaSalle students and community.

I believe the letter is what many of us feel about the situation. I am grateful to Jeff for putting into words what I believe our faith and the Elder tradition have taught us. Job well done, Jeff. I pray for all those in the Lasalle community, the young man and his family.
I agree Cincy. I read the letter this morning and found it to have expressed my feelings on this point exactly.
Old 05-02-13, 10:25 PM
All Yappi

JElder
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir lancer View Post
No problems with my comprehension - I read the entire post.

Some "devil's advocate" positions are really not appropriate at this time.

What if it was your child? - yes, I know it is a public forum etc... - just poor judgment!!!
Thanks for letting me know what is and is not appropriate....

If It was my child I wouldn't be worrying about Yappi, but whatever...
Old 05-03-13, 08:06 AM
All District

"Thanks for letting me know what is and is not appropriate.... "

Your welcome
Closed Thread