Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Old 11-23-12, 06:17 PM
All Yappi

Solon Comets 2012-2013

Please feel free to post any info parents and fans. JJ Huddle has Solon and Twinsburg fighting it out for region. And they also have Confroy and Thompson in the top 25 guards in the nation. Yowee!

Can't top that for now. More to come.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-12, 08:17 AM
Varsity

Opening game today at SVSM with the JV game starting at 12:00. The game got moved from an evening contest because of SVSM still being alive in football playoffs. Sad that attendance will probably be even lower because of OSU-Michigan conflict.

Today should be interesting as SVSM has the majority back from a solid, but young team last year. Shannon Jack can really play.

The Comets should be the best team in their region on paper, but we all know what that's worth. With Confroy, Thompson & Bekelja they have three of the top guards in the area, and Alexis Gray is really athletic in the post. If the Comets can get any kind of production from the 5th starter and the bench, they will be tough to beat. Losing Emily Russell for the year because of another knee injury will hurt as she is a phenomenal competitor.
Old 11-24-12, 09:53 AM
All Yappi

Oh man, I hadn't heard about Emily. What a shame. In Thursdays Plain Dealer Solon was ranked 2nd in pre- season poll behind Hathaway Brown. Solon's football team was ranked 2nd by the same paper's pre-season poll last August. We all know what that came to. Injury jinx, and losing 21 seniors.

Polls mean diddily-squat, regular season wins are where it's at. Lady Comets need to take it one game at a time and get grounded. It's a new season.

Go Comets! Thanks Catfan.
Old 11-24-12, 12:56 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfan2 View Post
Opening game today at SVSM with the JV game starting at 12:00. The game got moved from an evening contest because of SVSM still being alive in football playoffs. Sad that attendance will probably be even lower because of OSU-Michigan conflict.

Today should be interesting as SVSM has the majority back from a solid, but young team last year. Shannon Jack can really play.

The Comets should be the best team in their region on paper, but we all know what that's worth. With Confroy, Thompson & Bekelja they have three of the top guards in the area, and Alexis Gray is really athletic in the post. If the Comets can get any kind of production from the 5th starter and the bench, they will be tough to beat. Losing Emily Russell for the year because of another knee injury will hurt as she is a phenomenal competitor.

What are you basing these comments on. When I looked up the ESPN ranking of girl basketball players, it seems to me that Twinsburg has -- at least to me-- the top guard in Ohio in the 2013 class. Now, if you look at Smith and Reed, one could make a case that Twinsburg has the best trio of guards in the Canton region. When you look at the fact that they are two time defending division one state champions and that they have not lost to an Ohio team in 49 games going back to 2010, I am having a hard time seeing your point. Please enlighten me on your rational.
Old 11-24-12, 01:27 PM
All Yappi

Solon has lost to graduation Jaime Gluesing, their all-state Team Captain, and their other Captain from last season , starter Amanda Bevington. They also lost their two year starter Kristen Low. Three young ladys that will be hard to replace.

Returning roster Jordan Bekelja soph guard, Kristen Confroy junior guard, Natalie Chambers senior guard, Alexis Gray junior center, Jackie-Marie Hines junior, Maddie Kresevic, junior guard, Emily Russell,soph. injured, Martha Thompson senior guard. Not sure of all these girls, nor the jayvees from last season. I'll wait for an updated 2012 roster.

Solon at home Wed. night vs. Mayfield I have been told.
Old 11-24-12, 02:38 PM
All Yappi

Solon @ StVtM, Confroy got two fouls in the first 90 seconds, uh-oh, Solon creamed them last year at home. Maybe some payback. Anyway, Solon- 59 St. V St. Mary- 51.

Asked my phone caller, who scored, who starred, he said, "the refs".
Old 11-24-12, 06:31 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE LIGHT View Post
What are you basing these comments on. When I looked up the ESPN ranking of girl basketball players, it seems to me that Twinsburg has -- at least to me-- the top guard in Ohio in the 2013 class. Now, if you look at Smith and Reed, one could make a case that Twinsburg has the best trio of guards in the Canton region. When you look at the fact that they are two time defending division one state champions and that they have not lost to an Ohio team in 49 games going back to 2010, I am having a hard time seeing your point. Please enlighten me on your rational.
Well, Solon basically has four returning starters from a team that made the regional final, and Twinsburg has one starter back. Smith & Reid combined to average about 5-6 points per game last year. Could Twinsburg win the region? Of course. They will be an outstanding team, but "on paper" the team with two all-district players and two others who averaged over 5 ppg. last year, should be better than T'Burg. It's not a knock on the Tigers, just an objective look at the rosters. Not sure "objective" would be the word I'd use to describe your posts.
Old 11-24-12, 06:55 PM
All Region

Quote:
Well, Solon basically has four returning starters from a team that made the regional final, and Twinsburg has one starter back. Smith & Reid combined to average about 5-6 points per game last year. Could Twinsburg win the region? Of course. They will be an outstanding team, but "on paper" the team with two all-district players and two others who averaged over 5 ppg. last year, should be better than T'Burg. It's not a knock on the Tigers, just an objective look at the rosters. Not sure "objective" would be the word I'd use to describe your posts.
I am looking at what each team has now. Twinsburg is 2-0 thus far and they have a player who is averaging 19 a game that ave. 3 last year. I am looking at the winning pedigree that the program has set up so far and how it permeates the whole program. I am also looking at the coaching ability of the Twinsburg coach as well as the Solon coach. There is a lot to be said for the championship mentality and how it affects how people behave and how they view things on a daily basis. If I had to pick between the two programs in terms of going to Columbus, I would pick Twinsburg because of the history of the program over the past three or four years. I try to be objective but sometimes the writing is on the wall or in this case, the elephant in the room is to big to ignore.
Old 11-24-12, 06:56 PM
All District

Quote:
Smith and Reed combined 5-6 points last year yet both are going to play Division 1 basketball. How relevant are points if at the end you have several girls from schools all around Ohio who averaged double figures and are going nowhere. Not to mention how many points are left to get in a game after Malina Howard scores her 20-30 and Ashley scored her 15-20. Twinsburg focuses on wins not points. I think that's what makes them successful. BTW Smith had 20 yesterday and 17 today, yet what's most important is the "W".

Last edited by ILOVELBASKETBALL : 11-24-12 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-24-12, 08:53 PM
All Yappi

Send a message via AIM to MCGal
catfan, don't bother getting into it with The Light... they're just looking for a fight. BOTH Twinsburg and Solon are going to be top-notch teams this year. Can't wait to see them play (hopefully more than once )
Old 11-24-12, 09:49 PM
All Yappi

Wow, excuuuuse us for being ranked. Twinsburg got our coach and a great player from us who is back, and another who just played "lights " out against Hiland. I know, old news.

Anyway, this afternoon at StVStM, Confroy basically sat much of the game because of fouls, Martha Thompson had 24, Jordan Bekelja had 17, point totals, 13-12 1st qtr, 16-16 2nd, 29-28 half, 18-7 Solon in the 3rd, 12-6 Solon 4rth, 59-51 Final. StV not ranked 5th by the Plain Dealer for nothing.
Old 11-24-12, 11:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
catfan, don't bother getting into it with The Light... they're just looking for a fight. BOTH Twinsburg and Solon are going to be top-notch teams this year. Can't wait to see them play (hopefully more than once )
You of all people should know better then that....I had Twinsburg losing and going 0 and 2. However, a funny thing happened;the other players woke up and started playing. Now I see this team in a new light with a lot of good players.
Old 11-25-12, 05:39 PM
All Yappi

Send a message via AIM to MCGal
I never said Twinsburg wouldn't still be very good. They returned plenty of talent to still be very strong.
Old 11-27-12, 12:11 PM
All Yappi

Solon still ranked #2 in PD. HB still #1. Solon hosts Mayfield #22 tomorrow night.
Old 11-27-12, 12:14 PM
All Yappi

Natalia Kontul has returned to the team. I had heard she had decided to give up basketball. Glad she is back. I know she played against St.V's.
Old 11-28-12, 08:16 PM
All Yappi

Solon was leading Mayfield when we left 79-29 with about 2:00 left. Thompson had about 24, Confroy about 20, Bekelja maybe 10, Hawkins, Harper, and Kontul all scored, Chambers and Gray about 6 or 7 each. 40 - 13 at the half, 61-23 at the end of the 3rd. Solon @ Shaker Hts. Saturday night.
Old 11-30-12, 01:43 PM
All Yappi

I was told today that Solon plays Shaker a week from tomorrow. I had misinfo, so the Comets are going that long without a game scheduled ?
Old 11-30-12, 05:23 PM
Varsity

You're right Hurri, they have about 10 days off. Probably not the worst thing at this point - chance to work on problem areas identified from first two games and get ready for the big game a week from Wednesday
Old 11-30-12, 09:56 PM
All Yappi

Okay dokay.
Old 12-08-12, 08:13 PM
All Yappi

Solon 67 Shaker Hts. 30 Solon will have to play much better next Wednesday. That about sums it up.
Old 12-09-12, 09:11 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurri-Comet View Post
Solon 67 Shaker Hts. 30 Solon will have to play much better next Wednesday. That about sums it up.
We will see you this Wednesday at our house NO EXCUSES ALLOWED
Old 12-12-12, 08:22 PM
All Yappi

Well no excuses, Twinsburg remains unbeaten. Solon doesn't. Too much depth, rebounding, defense, and way too much Morrissette. Along with Dunnigan, Smith, Hobbs, and Reid, and I have to say Solis. She is the two time State Champion head coach of this Tiger team that looks like it can get back to C-Bus again.

Next game will be at Solon, but the Comets have a long way to go to match up with the 'Burg. Rebounding, passing, turnovers, Yikes! We did not bring our A game tonight that's for sure.

Girls played hard and never quit.
Old 12-13-12, 08:21 AM
Varsity

Long season

But, no doubt the road to CBus goes through TBurg once again. It will be interesting to watch the progress of both squads through the season.

TBurg handled their business last night.
Old 12-13-12, 08:45 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJones View Post
Wow. Twinsburg 57, Solon 37. Morrisette had 23. Which means players who live in Solon scored 60 points in that game.

Is there a point that you would like to make or can I start measuring for another ring. Life at the Burg is good.........

Last edited by THE LIGHT : 12-13-12 at 11:04 PM. Reason: change word
Old 12-13-12, 08:49 PM
All Region

Quote:
Well no excuses, Twinsburg remains unbeaten. Solon doesn't. Too much depth, rebounding, defense, and way too much Morrissette. Along with Dunnigan, Smith, Hobbs, and Reid, and I have to say Solis. She is the two time State Champion head coach of this Tiger team that looks like it can get back to C-Bus again.

Next game will be at Solon, but the Comets have a long way to go to match up with the 'Burg. Rebounding, passing, turnovers, Yikes! We did not bring our A game tonight that's for sure.

Girls played hard and never quit.
MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE THE LIGHT ON FOR US.............AND SOME MILK AND COOKIES OUT..........
Old 12-14-12, 08:41 AM
All Yappi

Cool

Oh we will be welcoming you, your Lightness, in a very special way. Especially now that we know who you are.

Can't wait!
Old 12-14-12, 11:27 AM
All Region

Quote:
Oh we will be welcoming you, your Lightness, in a very special way. Especially now that we know who you are.

Can't wait!
I am at all the games, so you don't have a clue who I am. Solon had better start worrying about Twinsburg and what they are going to do to you when they get to Solon next month......and less time on who I am. Twinsburg may bust the clock on you next time you play them.
Old 12-14-12, 01:51 PM
All District

If you are at all the games, then what is that about.... I think everyone knows who you are, don't worry, your secret is safe with us

" Sir I am in Atlanta GA. Just got out of a meeting. If I could be there I would. I have to make living. "
Old 12-14-12, 02:28 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by slfan1 View Post
If you are at all the games, then what is that about.... I think everyone knows who you are, don't worry, your secret is safe with us

" Sir I am in Atlanta GA. Just got out of a meeting. If I could be there I would. I have to make living. "
Ok.....Just call me Mr. Tibbs
Old 12-14-12, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

Ok Mr. Tibbs, or Mr. Light, believe me I was just coming back at your dumb post. I really meant no disrespect personally, and although I've had my moments of over-the-top posting on Yappi, in no way can I match your type of rabid fanaticism. Best of luck the rest of the way, states or whatever.

Last edited by Hurri-Comet : 12-14-12 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Needed to edit possible inflamatory ending.