Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Notices

Old 10-29-12, 07:57 PM
Junior Varsity

ggclhoops is on a distinguished road
GGCL Hoops

So this is how i see it shaping up for the 2012-13 season. What are your thoughts? Who are the players to watch in the league?
1. MCA: Bove, Pfeifer, Vogelpohl, Lambert
2. SUA: Massa, Ayers, Wildermuth
3. Mercy: Weigman, Budde, Ramsey
4. Ursuline: Shirmer, Reilly, Goodwin
5. MND: Fasano, Carlin
6. Seton: Meyer, Scholl

I see MCA's D and overall talent stronger than the rest of the league but not so much that they will be an overwhelming favorite. Mercy will win alot of games and it wouldnt surprise me to see them win the league.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-12, 05:45 AM
All District

C.C. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggclhoops View Post
So this is how i see it shaping up for the 2012-13 season. What are your thoughts? Who are the players to watch in the league?

I see MCA's D and overall talent stronger than the rest of the league but not so much that they will be an overwhelming favorite. Mercy will win alot of games and it wouldnt surprise me to see them win the league.
Grandpa told me he heard Massa of SUA was not playing due to her commitment to Volleyball
Old 10-30-12, 10:15 AM
Freshman

I-75 is on a distinguished road
I think Mcauley will be the team to beat they got the guards and a really talented big in Franky Harris, Mercy and Ursuline a close second, Harris being the difference for Mca
Old 10-30-12, 10:38 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-75 View Post
I think Mcauley will be the team to beat they got the guards and a really talented big in Franky Harris, Mercy and Ursuline a close second, Harris being the difference for Mca
Harris is good when she keeps her head in the game. She tends to get easily frustrated and then gets lazy on both sides of the ball
Old 10-30-12, 12:18 PM
All District

Hoopsfan87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I would also look for a big year out of Davenport from MND, and for bigs, look for Blaut from Seton and Noe from SUA to step up.
Old 10-30-12, 02:15 PM
All Region

Lynch Mob is on a distinguished road
Quote:

1. McAuley - No reason to doubt them, they won the league last year and their competition will be down.
2. Ursuline - Really really looking up for this team. They have very good guard play.
3. Mercy - They looked very good last year too and I like their returning players doing damage.
4. MND - They were young last year and their JV looked amazing.
5. SUA - Pretty sure Massa's not playing either with her scholarship for VB sewn up. Lost their top two scorers (Loesing, Napolitano), only consistent big (Massa) and PG (Proctor - ACL). Major down year
6. Seton - They are just bad but Meyer could get them some upsets in the league by herself.
Old 10-31-12, 11:44 AM
Junior Varsity

maxwell86 is on a distinguished road
i heard about Proctor's ACL...Who will be the 1 or 2 for SUA..Big loss after losing last years seniors/leaders..
Old 11-02-12, 11:54 AM
All Region

Lynch Mob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell86 View Post
i heard about Proctor's ACL...Who will be the 1 or 2 for SUA..Big loss after losing last years seniors/leaders..
I'm guessing Mullin & Ayers will be the 1 & 2. Not really sure. I'm just curious to see where their scoring is going to come from. Neither one of those girls shot much last year, Massa was the leading returning scorer and if she doesn't play, the leading scorer coming back is Ayers @ 3.1 ppg.
Old 11-02-12, 01:23 PM
All District

Hoopsfan87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch Mob View Post
I'm guessing Mullin & Ayers will be the 1 & 2. Not really sure. I'm just curious to see where their scoring is going to come from. Neither one of those girls shot much last year, Massa was the leading returning scorer and if she doesn't play, the leading scorer coming back is Ayers @ 3.1 ppg.
Last year, Loesing & Napolitano took the vast majority of the shots. Probably third in shots was Massa. This year it will need to Wildermuth, Ayers & Noe, as well as the rest of the team to pick up the scoring. Those three had decent shooting percentages last year, but didn't get many shot opportunities. It will definitely be a different looking team this year.
Old 11-07-12, 08:41 PM
Junior Varsity

how are the scrimmages going so far. How did Mercy do last night? MCA looked ok against Winton Woods and Wayne. Looked rusty and a little slow. I believe they play Saurday at McNick.

Do SUA and MND play thurs night or Saturday?
Old 11-07-12, 10:57 PM
All District

braddavis97 is on a distinguished road
Ursuline plays Friday night at Newport Central Catholic. Just found out that tomorrow nights scrimmage was canceled due to volleyball match.
Old 11-11-12, 08:33 PM
Junior Varsity

Congrats to the 4 GGCL players who made Dabbelts Cincinnati Top 25:

Naomi Davenport, MND, 2015
Sarah Reilly ,Ursuline, 2014
Emily Vogelpohl, McAuley, 2015
KellyWeigman, Mercy, 2013
Old 11-14-12, 07:55 AM
All District

MichaelPat is on a distinguished road
I was watching my 7th grade niece play in the CYO championships on Sunday at All Saints. I had nothing better to do so I stayed to watch the 8th grade game, All Saints v. IHM. There was a nice guard for IHM #11 who was very good. Just wondered if anyone knew of her or where she might be going to HS. Don't expect many kids from Anderson Twp. (IHM) commute to MND (where my kids went). Just curious, I know this is a HS forum but assume many GCCL start in CYO.
Old 11-14-12, 01:47 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPat View Post
I was watching my 7th grade niece play in the CYO championships on Sunday at All Saints. I had nothing better to do so I stayed to watch the 8th grade game, All Saints v. IHM. There was a nice guard for IHM #11 who was very good. Just wondered if anyone knew of her or where she might be going to HS. Don't expect many kids from Anderson Twp. (IHM) commute to MND (where my kids went). Just curious, I know this is a HS forum but assume many GCCL start in CYO.
She might go to MND.

I know there have been kids from St. Louis and St Thomas More go to MND.
Kids travel a far way for basketball, I mean education
Old 11-14-12, 02:18 PM
All Region

go bucks 81 is on a distinguished road
But they don't go to MND to play basketball anymore.
Old 11-23-12, 09:26 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by go bucks 81 View Post
But they don't go to MND to play basketball anymore.
They never did
Old 12-14-12, 01:40 PM
Junior Varsity

I was able to watch the MCA and MND game last night and came away very impressed with Davenport and Carlin of MND and Vogelpohl and Bove of MCA. MND went on big runs in the first quarter and third quarter only to see MCA tie it at the half and get to within 2, after being down by 12, late in the game. I counted 8 sophmores and 1 freshman playing in the game, which bodes well for the GGCL. Davenport dominated early in the game with MCA having no answer for her defensively. Harris from MCA can be a player if she decides she's interested in playing D. Vogelpohl carried MCA in the first half and had 8 steals to get MCA back in the game. Looking forward to game #2 in late January.

How did Mercy look last night against Seton?
Old 12-15-12, 07:34 AM
Freshman

hausinfeffer is on a distinguished road
mcauley has issues. they are not deep at all. for the last few years the coach has been coach of the year. not sure this is because of him or his core group of girls. you can look back over the past 4-5 years and he never uses his bench or even developes it. only 6-7 kids play and come games when they need someone off bench they are not game tested. coach maybe a decent game time planner but the entire staff struggles with substitution and management of the game. i believe the already lost one upper classmen who decided not to continue. not sure if she would have helped but she gave them minutes as a junior and would have helped on defensive end. Look at the box scores very little help off bench. I think some of the other ggcl squads might not be as good 1-4 but are probably a little deeper 5-9 which may get them over top as year goes on and in tight games.
Old 12-21-12, 08:49 AM
Junior Varsity

Good game last night between MND and Ursuline. Shirmer, Goodwin, and Reilly took control of the game with Shirmer probably playing her best game of the year. Goodwin must have had 5 or 6 steals which were very big. Davenport did not impress much last night and looked either frustrated or lost, I couldnt figure it out. Big game Saturday for Ursuline and MCA. Ursulines big three Shirmer, Goodwin, and Reilly against MCA's big three Vogelpohl, Bove, Lambert, should be a fun to watch. Bove v. Reilly should be a good batle
Old 01-04-13, 02:10 PM
Junior Varsity

MCA played a nice game last night against Princteon. May have been one of the worst officiated games I've seen in years. Not sure the outcome would have been the same with Kelsey Mitchell playing, however, a win is a win. I've seen MCA play 3 times this year and it appears the faster Coach Schroer lets them play, the better they are. Awful game against MND when their speed would have dominated MND..Hope to see MCA and Mercy on Saturday. Contain Weigman and MCA wins going away.

What happened with Ursuline and Seton? Let down for Ursuline? How did Seton blow that lead
Old 01-04-13, 02:24 PM
Junior Varsity

After revieweing the stats, looked like Ursuline had 24 TO's and had 9 shots blocked. Nice effort by Seton but better effort by Reilley and her 24 pts.

MCA controlled Princeton for most of the game but really could not put them away. Princeton went on 8-0 and 9-0 runs to tie the game twice. Lambert shot very well and is not afriad to shoot. Vogelpohl handled the press very well and did not seem intimidated by Chelsey Mitchell or Sherman. Egbers had 2 huge three's. Looks like someone woke up Harris who for the first time I've seen this year, played hard. Definitely played with more urgency. Should be another good test against Mercy
Old 01-04-13, 04:53 PM
All District

cagerwatch is on a distinguished road
MCA vs Mason

Any predictions on how McAuley will match up against Mason later this month? They get their shot at the GMC number 1 after beating number 2.
Old 01-06-13, 11:30 AM
Junior Varsity

Mercy controlled the entire game against MCA last night with Rebecca Tumlin leading all scorers. Weigman held in check by a combination of Bove and Lambert. Mercy outhustled MCA from beginning to end.
Mercy had a lead of about 14 and Mercy cut it to 6 but never got closer. Missed free throws haunted MCA against a Mercy team who played solid enough to with their 8th straight.

MCA's bigs were no factor at all. Pfiefer and Harris again seemed slow and disinterested. Vogelpohl played very good D but posed no offensive threat and didnt even look to score. Lambert was steady. Ramsey and Dannemiller both played very good.

Looking forward to Mercy and Ursuline Thursday night.

Mason beats MCA.
Old 01-24-13, 06:24 AM
Junior Varsity

i heard Emily Vogelpohl has a broken hand. can anyone confirm?
Old 01-24-13, 07:31 AM
All Region

Kballer is on a distinguished road
also, where is Schirmer for Ursuline?
Old 01-28-13, 07:03 AM
Junior Varsity

I saw that Shirmer and Vogelpohl both played last week. Vogelpohl played with a brace on her left hand but unsure if broken. Shirmer did not play on Thursday but did play Saturday against Walnut Hills. Ursuline and MCA play Tuesday night, so I hope to find out more.

Davenport played with a brace on her hand Thursday night too. Any word on that injury?
Old 01-28-13, 02:16 PM
Freshman

cincyf1 is on a distinguished road
Seton played without Meyers in this game and almost pulled off the upset. Their point guard had a great game and their big girl controlled the middle with 9 blocks and 9 rebounds. Went to this one and the ball rolled out on a lay-up by the point guard with 8 seconds left or Ursuline would have went down.
Old 01-28-13, 08:16 PM
All District

braddavis97 is on a distinguished road
Ursuline was leading by 3 when seton had the ball late in the game. Not sure what a layup does for you down 3 with 8 seconds left?
Old 01-30-13, 09:18 AM
Junior Varsity

Watched Ursuline and MCA in a tough battle. Ursuline controlled most of the game but MCA was able to cut a 12 point deficit to 2 late in the 3rd. Ursuline got big points from Ogilbee who played with a lot of confidence. Reilly and Goodwin played another steady game. Shirmer looked liked she recovered from her hamstring problem

MCA had little inside presence and their bigs have a tough time catching the ball without dropping it. Lambert and Vogelpohl played harda nd lead that team with hustle. My understanding is Vogelpohl has a stress fracture in her thumb and played with her left hand wrapped. Egbers played another solid game.

Congrats to Ursuline for winning the GGCL Scarlet
Old 02-01-13, 10:25 AM
All Region

Kballer is on a distinguished road
did I see that MND beat Ursuline last night? anyone there?