Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Notices

Old 11-09-12, 12:52 PM
All District

dado5 is on a distinguished road
Alpha Question

I am a novice to the alpha weight and hydration testing. My son is a freshman in high school and is considering the 106/113 weight classes. He still has not hit puberty and hence still has a good deal of baby fat on him. I have no idea what his body fat % is but I would guess a good deal in excess of 7%. To certify at 106, what would be a good way to guestimate what he would need to actually weigh to certify at 106 if that is even determinable? I know there is also a hydration element that must be passed prior to being able to weight certify. He wants the option to wrestle at either weight class. I want to see if 106 can even be a consideration once he gets into wrestling shape (he is currently in football shape ). Any tidbits that you can offer would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-12, 01:02 PM
All Region

Groundhog is on a distinguished road
One way would be to find someone with calipers to check his body fat and do your own calculation for the weight at which he will be 7%.

You say he has some baby fat to lose. How close is he to 106 now?

You are only allowed to lose 1.5% of your alpha weight per week to reach your minimum weight class, so the closer he is to 106 at alpha weigh-ins the sooner he can wrestle there.
Old 11-09-12, 01:21 PM
All District

dado5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
One way would be to find someone with calipers to check his body fat and do your own calculation for the weight at which he will be 7%.

You say he has some baby fat to lose. How close is he to 106 now?

You are only allowed to lose 1.5% of your alpha weight per week to reach your minimum weight class, so the closer he is to 106 at alpha weigh-ins the sooner he can wrestle there.
Both weight classes are open so there is no pressure to make 106 right out of the gate. To get to 106, he probably has to lose around 10 lbs. If that is 4, 6 or 8 weeks into the season that would be fine. Obviously the closer to 106 the better but I was looking for a way to gauge whether, for example, weighing 110 at alpha testing given his body fat % would certify him at 106. It seems like the only certain way would be to first assess his actual body fat %. I was looking for an unscientific method.