Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Springfield Spartans

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-12, 08:35 AM
All Region

Dscoop is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballforme View Post
All i was saying is that Ellet played Garfield 2 games this week so they could have pitched 6th graders and still won by mercy rule, while we split with streetsboro throwing the best we have and now have to assemble pitchers by commitee of kids who have no varsity experience to pitch tonite. Always want to win, but being involved in the sport for 42 years now, I call it the way i see it
Enough speculation. Here are the facts. Monday against Garfield, Ellet threw their #1 (Staley). Tuesday against Garfield they threw their #2 (Liston). #3 has not pitched yet for various reasons. Against Springfield Ellet threw their #4 (Meyers). In the first game against Field this morning they are throwing #5 and #6. In the second game they are throwing @1 (Staley). When it was 11-1 in the 5th inning against Springfield Ellet cleared their bench.
Old 04-08-12, 11:40 AM
All Ohio

PaidTalentEvaluator is on a distinguished road
Hahaha
Old 04-08-12, 11:40 AM
All Ohio

"we suck again" lol
Old 04-09-12, 06:39 AM
Junior Varsity

SpartanPride76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye29 View Post
Sounds like the varsity is looking good. JV not so much. In three games they've been outscored 27-1. The last two game s have been 5 inning mercys. Their hitting is maybe the worst I've ever saw, and they average probably three errors per inning. Seems like they really need to work on fundamentals and they should just camp out at the batting cages for a couple weeks.
So the baseball JV team is horrible, basketball JV won like 4 games, football none. Common theme here???? All 3 JV teams coached by our AD's best friends. Baseball and football coached by his high school best friend and basketball by his college buddy from Walsh. The college buddy also coaches football too. These guys arent teachers in the Springfield district and it is amazing to me this type of nepotism is allowed to take place. of course there is an another assistant basketball coach whose connection to Springfield is dating the daughter of the booster club president.
Think about this for a minute, a good varsity program is set up by its JV team, yet our JV's lose almost every game in every sport and get crushed game in and game out and these teams are being coached by friends of the AD and not qualified coaches. If its not bad enough, when the JV basketball team was getting killed at a game and there was still several minutes to go, the coaches were yucking it up on the bench having a grand old time for several minutes with a bunch of former players who were sitting behind the bench and whats worse is they were clearly making fun of some of our own JV players. This was so disturbing I video taped it on my phone.
Old 04-09-12, 06:56 AM
Junior Varsity

My point is they dont teach and coach. They have intersquad scrimmages, thats their practices or they do some hitting stations on their own when inside. The need to be taught and instructed. The boys should already know this stuff by the time they get to HS but obviously they don't Hit a 1000 ground balls and fly balls, use a practice a week to work on baserunning and defensive situations, have someone throw batting practice that throws strikes, not a reserve outfielder that cant come close to the plate. Have 3 or 4 pitchers do long toss everday. Have catchers do blocking drills, 1st basemen do scooping drills.
Old 04-09-12, 08:16 AM
All Region

green1965champs is on a distinguished road
Who is your kid? Does he or she get work outside of practice?
Old 04-09-12, 08:31 AM
All Yappi

GRPride86 is on a distinguished road
Doesn't matter who his kid is, he's right. Shouldn't be scrimmaging. Should be working on skills and situations. Pitchers should be working on bullpens. Should be doing a ton of T work in the cages. MIF shoud be working on DP's and pick offs, run downs, situational baseball.

Reps
Reps
Reps

Scrimmages can result in certain positions not making a play all practice, what good does that do?
Old 04-09-12, 11:00 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRPride86 View Post
Doesn't matter who his kid is, he's right. Shouldn't be scrimmaging. Should be working on skills and situations. Pitchers should be working on bullpens. Should be doing a ton of T work in the cages. MIF shoud be working on DP's and pick offs, run downs, situational baseball.

Reps
Reps
Reps

Scrimmages can result in certain positions not making a play all practice, what good does that do?
Your right, it doesnt matter who my son is, what does matter is the lack of instruction given by this group of the AD's buddies that have been hired as coaches
Old 04-10-12, 08:27 AM
Junior Varsity

To give another example of how little these coaches care, they got their butts kicked by rival Ellet last Thur, did not practice Friday, did practice Saturday but had kids pitch batting practice which means very few strikes and nothing that resembles game pitching, then did not practice Monday. How is a team supposed to get any better with that kind of schedule and league games today and tomorrow. I bet Walsh practiced
Old 04-10-12, 08:41 AM
Varsity

GRIFFS1993 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanPride76 View Post
To give another example of how little these coaches care, they got their butts kicked by rival Ellet last Thur, did not practice Friday, did practice Saturday but had kids pitch batting practice which means very few strikes and nothing that resembles game pitching, then did not practice Monday. How is a team supposed to get any better with that kind of schedule and league games today and tomorrow. I bet Walsh practiced
spring brake? mabee they r goin on 2 weeks.
Old 04-10-12, 11:11 AM
All Ohio

Buckeye29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanPride76 View Post
I agree however they did have a one hour practice in the central gym on monday before the girls softball team kicked them out. They need fundamentals!!! I saw their shortstop in that ellet game try to backhand three ground balls that were hit right to him. Missed cut off men, giving extra bases, dropped third strikes, etc......it's like watching H-league again. I don't know the coaches or how they got their positions, so I will not comment on that. These kids are just too good to be playing so bad.
Old 04-10-12, 12:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFS1993 View Post
spring brake? mabee they r goin on 2 weeks.
No Spring Break for baseball players. You play during this time.
Old 04-10-12, 05:45 PM
All Ohio

Ever think that maybe it is not the coaching and it is the kids that are not good?
Old 04-10-12, 09:28 PM
Varsity

Baseballforme is on a distinguished road
vs. Norton

Spartans beat Norton 6-2. Seth Robinson pitched a complete game 1 hitter, kid beat out a ground ball to SS with one out in the 7th for the only hit. Seth walked 3 struck out 11, we had 4 errors which allowed the 2 runs to score so both runs were unearned.

We had 7 hits, Seth had a HR and a double and 3 RBI. Shane Robinson was 2-2 with a walk, got hit with a pitch and stole 2 bases. Brian Stanick had 2 hits and scored 2 runs. Matt Thomas had a hit, an RBI and scored a run.
Old 04-11-12, 08:21 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidTalentEvaluator View Post
Ever think that maybe it is not the coaching and it is the kids that are not good?
Possibly, but does that mean the coaches should give up and stop any meaningful instruction.

Its a good thing when Big Robison pitches he strikes out over half the batters he faces because there is no infield defense behind him. There was 4 routine grounders that were booted, a perfect throw to the first baseman that was dropped and the only hit he gave up was a routine ground ball the shortstop that the kid beat out because our shortstop didn't charge the ball.
Old 04-12-12, 07:57 AM
All World

thepolster is on a distinguished road
Big Seth

http://www.ohio.com/sports/high-scho...il-12-1.294401
Congrats Seth.....
Old 04-12-12, 08:32 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepolster View Post
Thanks Polester, came as big surprise when i opened the paper today.

To report on the last 2 games, Spartans played like crap against Norton last night, only got 2 hits but had 5 errors and lost 8-1. Stubbs again pitched good but had no defense behind him and no run support. We dropped a fly ball in the outfield that led to 2 runs, a pop up on the infield that led to 2 more and we continue to boot routine ground balls. The highlight of the game was THE STREAKER!!!! Yes a real live streaker who ran across the entire outfield between innings.

Tonight we beat Garfield in 5 innings 14-2. Matt Thomas had 3 hits and Shane pitched the 1st four innings and got the win.
Old 04-13-12, 09:26 AM
All World

Irish87
[QUOTE=Baseballforme;5024905]Thanks Polester, came as big surprise when i opened the paper today.QUOTE]

As in Polester the Molester?
Old 04-16-12, 10:38 AM
All Region

green1965champs is on a distinguished road
What kind of money do Springfield's coaches make , compared to the surrounding schools? Springfield doesn't sound so attractive with pay from what I understand.
Old 04-16-12, 10:28 PM
Varsity

Spartans vs. Field

Spartans won a thriller in extra innings tonight by a score of 4-3. Things looked bad early on when the team wasn't hitting, playing good defense and their heads were down. Seth was all over the place in the first 2 innings giving up a bunch of walks and he hit 2 batters, but Field could only manage 1 run in each inning. After that he settled down and only gave up one more run for the next 5 innings. We tied the game in the bottom of the 6th when Shane got on with an error, the Matt Thomas hit a triple and then after a botched suicide squeeze attempt, scored the tying run when the 3rd baseman dropped the ball. Mitch Stubbs came on and pitched a scoreless 8th inning to get the win. Thomas was big tonight with the triple and a big hit in the bottom of the 8th that set up the game winning hit by Freshman Ryan Vaughn.
Old 04-18-12, 07:03 AM
Varsity

Spartans vs. Field game 2

Spartans jumped on Field early scoring 3 in the first and after that the game was never close with Springfield winning 8-4. Mitch Stubbs pitched a complete game picking up his 2nd win in as many days. Everyone contributed offensively and the defense was much better. A good thing to note is that we played such an all around solid game, no plays or players stick out other than the pitching.

To the Field dad who was taunting and insulting our players when they made outs, SCOREBOARD u m effer. 2 baseball and 2 softball wins on back to back days, so go back to plowing your fields in your size 60 bib overalls.
Old 04-18-12, 07:33 AM
All American

spartan71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Spartans jumped on Field early scoring 3 in the first and after that the game was never close with Springfield winning 8-4. Mitch Stubbs pitched a complete game picking up his 2nd win in as many days. Everyone contributed offensively and the defense was much better. A good thing to note is that we played such an all around solid game, no plays or players stick out other than the pitching.

To the Field dad who was taunting and insulting our players when they made outs, SCOREBOARD u m effer. 2 baseball and 2 softball wins on back to back days, so go back to plowing your fields in your size 60 bib overalls.
lol nice
Old 04-18-12, 02:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Classic. LOL

Was he their mascot?
Old 04-18-12, 04:35 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRPride86 View Post
Classic. LOL

Was he their mascot?
Lol. No. To be a mascot you have to wear an outfit that makes you noticable and stick out from the rest of the crowd, he was dressed and looked the same as 3/4ths of the farmbillynecktractordrivingcowpooperscoppers that were in attendance for Field. Its a shame that i am wasting good material on this because i am sure he/them/they/it will never read this cuz they dont own a computer, know what the internet is, or know how to read, because if someone make idiotic comments like he did, you dont get out much and were probably home schooled on a farm, or in the Field local school system (same thing).
Old 04-19-12, 06:52 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Lol. No. To be a mascot you have to wear an outfit that makes you noticable and stick out from the rest of the crowd, he was dressed and looked the same as 3/4ths of the farmbillynecktractordrivingcowpooperscoppers that were in attendance for Field. Its a shame that i am wasting good material on this because i am sure he/them/they/it will never read this cuz they dont own a computer, know what the internet is, or know how to read, because if someone make idiotic comments like he did, you dont get out much and were probably home schooled on a farm, or in the Field local school system (same thing).
Great obversation, and you didnt hold anythng back. Its amazing how adults can act when their childs team is losing. Cheer for your team, your kid, their friends but NEVER taunt, degrade or insult opposing players. If it was one of your sons he was referring to, I am surprised you didn't confront the idiot. BTW you forgot cow tipper.
Old 04-19-12, 07:23 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
You guys do realize how you look at Field everyone else looks that way at Springfield but just a littler poorer?
Old 04-19-12, 08:03 AM
All American

Quote:
You guys do realize how you look at Field everyone else looks that way at Springfield but just a littler poorer?
spoken like a true SmEllet arse!
Old 04-19-12, 08:22 AM
Varsity

Quote:
That is entirely possible, and it is not what I am talking about, I personally don't care what others think of us. My rant stems from something that every Springfield fan at the game and the varsity softball team who had finished beating Field on the diamond just behind us heard out of the guy I described and that was venom being spewed at a 15 yr old soph. who struck out.

I have never heard that from fans at other schools and I guarantee our fans at any sporting event would never address another teams player with such a derogatory insult as we heard. We are all too busy sitting on our hands, just ask Spartan 71.

Call us swamprats, dirtbags, white trash...who cares, if those out there feel the need to judge others, then feel free. Many people cant help their situations, lost jobs, divorced, single parents that are trying to make the best out of what they have and struggle on a daily basis to get by in life, heck some cant afford the extra gas to put in their car to go watch the away games that are not close. All I can say is the fans we get, usually none more than the parents watching their own, are good fans that do nothing more than cheer for their kid and the team. The exceptions to that are me and my wife who lets the umps know it when they blow a call...LOL

Last edited by Baseballforme; 04-19-12 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 08:54 AM
All American

Springfield has flavor...
and our fans do sit on their hands during football season... I stand by that remark...
Old 04-19-12, 09:01 AM
All World

thepolster is on a distinguished road
I remember the days when we had a heckler like that..... he was vicious at the least... calling coaches out and being the best arm chair QB you ever seen! The guy was a total tool... I am so glad his middle boy attends S-.-------.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: