Old 04-03-12, 03:46 PM
Fake coolin' off

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Has Victory ever sent anywhere near half their boys to X? If so, things must be a lot different now.
Old 04-03-12, 04:36 PM
All Yappi

Nelson Van Alden has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
I know there is a solid number, but I'm not sure about half of the class.
I think its like 15 or so. However, none of them are big time athletes. Anyone else, want Elder to start going after kids on the east side? I know we want to focus on the west side kids, but I would love to start bringing kids in from both sides, as big F-U to X. I have talked to some grads over here who say they are sending their kids to Elder. Its going to take some time to change perception, but it can be done.

I know EP, will say its not worth it. However, Elder honors programs are as challenging as anything X offers.
Old 04-03-12, 05:20 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Has Victory ever sent anywhere near half their boys to X? If so, things must be a lot different now.
From what I know, no they haven't.
Old 04-03-12, 05:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Van Alden View Post
I know EP, will say its not worth it. However, Elder honors programs are as challenging as anything X offers.
The whole academic arguement is really a moot point, because you can get a good education anywhere if the parents and the student make a point to do so. The only thing Elder offers that X doesn't is the level 2 classes, level 3s, 4s and 5s/honors are all pretty even.
Old 04-03-12, 06:22 PM
Freshman

Gordon A Schumway is on a distinguished road
Obviously there is a process, and if you choose to commiserate with the folks that have complaints that is your choice. I'll put the truth of statistics since 1997 up against your truth of grandpa alums any say of the week. And I'm sure I can find just as many folks that think "the process" let them down at St.X as well. Not knowing you from Adam, your reputation of an ax grinder preceeds you according to some posters. You're the fraud.
Old 04-03-12, 06:28 PM
All Yappi

Obviously this year is an anomaly for OLV. IMO, the most essential task for Elder in terms of enrollment is continuing to expand to the White Oak/Grosebeck area. Each year Elder is getting more and more St. Ignatius and St. James students. If Elder can keep that momentum it will be huge in the future as that is taking enrollment away from LS and X. More secondary tasks would be Northern Kentucky, east side students. It really all boils down to how the alumni handle this. The ball is in their court, if they want their kid to go to Elder the option is there, if not then they are cowards imo.
Old 04-03-12, 06:32 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVOR View Post
You guys may find this hard to believe but many of the kids that play football at Elder High School do not desire to continue playing in college. It is a major commitment to be a student athlete at that level (at any level really), a commitment many don't want to make.
This is an excellent point. Kids who are really good athletes at the hs level, but lacking in size, or speed to be D1 have to make that choice. It is still a tremendous amount of work to play football at the Mount or Thomas Moore and some kids do not want that for their college experience. It is not necessarily they grow to hate football playing at Elder, they just choose to focus on other things.
Old 04-03-12, 08:46 PM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
I think its like 15 or so. However, none of them are big time athletes. Anyone else, want Elder to start going after kids on the east side? I know we want to focus on the west side kids, but I would love to start bringing kids in from both sides, as big F-U to X. I have talked to some grads over here who say they are sending their kids to Elder. Its going to take some time to change perception, but it can be done.

No non-westsider is going to send their kid to Elder unless they really believe its on par with X. That's a difficult sell, unless Elder does something big on the academic side....like establishing itself as a premier math and science tech center. It coud be done, but would require the alumni to support its academic transformation in a way they support it's athletic activities. Can you imagine if the time, money and effort that went into the off campus athletic facilities went into building a mathematics, science, engineering and technology center? Then Elder would really have something to offer the rest of the city.
Old 04-03-12, 08:56 PM
Freshman

Gordon A Schumway is on a distinguished road
A Victory parent told me 7 kids from Victory going to X...and at least triple that going to Elder. Far from earth shattering.
Old 04-03-12, 09:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
No non-westsider is going to send their kid to Elder unless they really believe its on par with X. That's a difficult sell, unless Elder does something big on the academic side....like establishing itself as a premier math and science tech center. It coud be done, but would require the alumni to support its academic transformation in a way they support it's athletic activities. Can you imagine if the time, money and effort that went into the off campus athletic facilities went into building a mathematics, science, engineering and technology center? Then Elder would really have something to offer the rest of the city.
Non-westside alumni are whom I am talking about. There is 0% chance of non-alumn eastsiders sending their kids to Elder.
Old 04-03-12, 09:29 PM
Fake coolin' off

Quote:
Non-westside alumni are whom I am talking about. There is 0% chance of non-alumn eastsiders sending their kids to Elder.
Same issues.
Old 04-03-12, 09:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Same issues.
I am not disagreeing with your previous post, just clarifying a previous one of mine. Elder does have a faculty member with a degree from MIT.
Old 04-03-12, 09:45 PM
Fake coolin' off

They need a curriculum, not a teacher.
Old 04-03-12, 09:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
They need a curriculum, not a teacher.
My point is there are resources there that give them a competitive advantage. Anyway, enrollment is excellent at this point. Otten has done a wonderful job in that regard.

Back on topic, I have to say how impressed I was with Josh Moore the last 2 games of the year. Ramsey takes a lot of heat from posters like myself, but one thing is undeniable and that is he knows how to coach up a QB.

Last edited by Nelson Van Alden; 04-03-12 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-04-12, 10:17 AM
All World

Jteegardner
Quote:
Ramsey takes a lot of heat from posters like myself, but one thing is undeniable and that is he knows how to coach up a QB.
Old 04-04-12, 11:17 AM
All Yappi

That might be the nicest thing Pboy has ever said about Ramsey.
Old 04-04-12, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

Elder is extremely good at developing passing QBs. How tall is Moore? He could have a really big year with Mazza, Ramstetter, Cipriani, and Lee to throw to.
Old 04-06-12, 09:11 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
That might be the nicest thing Pboy has ever said about Ramsey.
You have to give him his due. I still do not agree with running every play out of the Shotgun, but the man knows his Xs and Os and has a very sophisticated passing game.
Old 04-06-12, 10:09 AM
All Yappi

Trust me I know. The passing routes that Elder runs are capable of beating any defensive coverage. There are plays that work great vs Cover 2 or Cover 3, some that exploit man coverage. Heck if a team ever decided to run a multiple coverage, half Cover 2, half Cover 3 such as they do at higher levels of football, I'm sure they have plays to beat that too.
Old 04-06-12, 10:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Trust me I know. The passing routes that Elder runs are capable of beating any defensive coverage. There are plays that work great vs Cover 2 or Cover 3, some that exploit man coverage. Heck if a team ever decided to run a multiple coverage, half Cover 2, half Cover 3 such as they do at higher levels of football, I'm sure they have plays to beat that too.
Very true. That still does not mean running the ball is not important, balance is important. Elder won their 2 state titles with a solid balance between the run and pass.
Old 04-06-12, 11:34 AM
All Yappi

Eh, they ran the ball a lot with BG and with RF in both of those title seasons. In 03 they ran BG to a title. Then turn around in 08 and they threw the ball all over the place with minimal running. I'd be interested to see what the actual ratio or run/pass of the teams during those 3 seasons.
Old 04-06-12, 12:18 PM
Junior Varsity

River Man is on a distinguished road
So do you guys think the QB stop is open for tryouts or will Josh be the guy?
Old 04-06-12, 12:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Man View Post
So do you guys think the QB stop is open for tryouts or will Josh be the guy?
I imagine its open b/w Moore and Lind. If Lind does not end up at QB I hope he gets some time at Safety, they need his speed and athleticism on the field.
Old 04-06-12, 01:19 PM
Junior Varsity

River Man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I imagine its open b/w Moore and Lind. If Lind does not end up at QB I hope he gets some time at Safety, they need his speed and athleticism on the field.
So if that happens then Nick Peters is the back-up?
Old 04-06-12, 02:28 PM
All Yappi

Lind could still be the backup and play elsewhere. Craig Carey, Nick Zeiser, are two that come to mind who played different positions as a backup, although that was during their respective junior seasons not as a senior.
Old 04-06-12, 06:47 PM
All Yappi

How does Hilvert measure up vs. Gall of Moeller. The Moeller fans said he has 11 offers already. Not hard to figure out Moeller is going to run Watkins right behind him. I honestly think Elder can beat X this year and probably should based on the talent on paper. Moeller is the game that worries me. Trinity is by far the least important game, as long as they don't get obliterated I will be happy.
Old 04-07-12, 02:56 PM
Cooling Off

DennisRodman is on a distinguished road
Just saw PBpoy's post count in this thread is more than double the person behind him.
Old 04-08-12, 12:20 AM
All Yappi

He likes having conversations with himself...
Old 04-08-12, 07:28 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisRodman View Post
Just saw PBpoy's post count in this thread is more than double the person behind him.
He just wants Elder to be successful.
Old 04-08-12, 09:01 PM
Cooling Off

omg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
He just wants Elder to be successful.