Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Golf/Tennis/Field Hockey/Gymnastics/Swimming

Notices

Old 02-25-12, 10:58 PM
All District

socdad is on a distinguished road
SW district gymnastics

With the lack of traffic on this forum I’m not sure anyone will see this …
The SW district gymnastics meet was held today and the organizers did something I had never heard of before. It was a long event, with a ‘lunch’ break built in for the judges and at that time they cleared the gym of spectators, and charged admission again for the second half of the meet. I am guessing they did not charge the $12 admission charge ‘up front’ because there is a set fee structure in place, and side stepped it by charging a $6 fee to attend each half of the meet.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-12, 05:14 PM
All District

100+ views and no replies, must not bother anyone but me ... we will see when they clear out the stands at halftime of a soccer match or football game.
Old 03-02-12, 09:45 PM
Junior Varsity

Rob McCullough is on a distinguished road
socdad - I don't have an answer for you, but I can tell you they also do this at the post-season wrestling tournaments. They may also do it in swimming, but since I have never attended a post-season swimming event, I can't be positive.
With wrestling, they break it down into sessions. So, Session 1 may include the 1st Championship round and the 1st round of wrestlebacks. Session 2 might include the quarter-finals and another round of the consolation bracket, etc, etc. Each session requires a ticket. Is gymnastics set up similarly?
Old 03-04-12, 09:22 AM
All District

The SW district meet no longer chooses to run two sessions, with roughly half of the teams / individuals competing in the morning session and the other half in the afternoon. In meets set up with two sessions way parents can go to a 3 or 4 hour event, watch their team and leave. Under the current system parents are in the gym for 6 – 8 hours, get to pay twice to watch their daughter compete for 5 or 6 minutes.
Old 03-05-12, 03:02 PM
All Region

CometCountry
I agree with the length of the meet being from 11:00-7:00, with a half hour break, is too long of a day. There has been talk about having the teams who have a chance to compete for the District Championship being in one session and the schools with not a great chance (based on team scores during the season) of being in the other session. Might be worth trying to avoid a long day and charging parents twice.

By the way it should be noted that the Mason Comets placed 4th at the State Meet last Friday by scoring a 140.25, which is the highest placement of a southwest district school in many years in Columbus. The Comets placed just 1 point behind Strongsville who finished 3rd. 5 of the top 6 teams were from the greater Cleveland area. Way to go Lady Comets for having a great season!!
Old 03-05-12, 04:10 PM
All District

I have been a big fan of ‘seeding’ the district meet. The main complaint I hear is that individuals not on ‘strong’ teams have less a chance to qualify for state on an individual event from the first secession. That might be a valid complaint however my daughter won beam at districts (I believe that was the last time it was a 2 secession meet) out of the first secession. In those days the meet was not ‘seeded’ but teams were drawn for the competitive secession.

Mason has had a strong team the past couple of years. Northmont picked the state meet to have their worst meet of the year … if they had competed that way at the district meet Beavercreek would probably have finished second and gotten to state as a team.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: