Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Notices

Old 01-05-12, 08:51 AM
All World

Joe Daugherty is on a distinguished road
Wrestling & Motocross

Yesterday, my son sent me a link to a video on youtube. It was a long video, but as I watched it I couldn't help but think how similar wrestling was to motocross. ESPECIALLY the Moms and Dads! Especially after watching the true life video on MTV last night. The similarities are amazing for two sports that seem so different at first glance. My son said " Dad I thought of you when I watched this video. All that you do for Mason and me and in different sports"
If you watched the video on the Washington State team last night on MTV check out this link to a video called " The Hart of Motocross "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIBguJMJFKw

Wrestling video link
http://www.mtv.com/videos/true-life-...32&channelId=1

PS. Motocross and wrestling help develop balance, stamina, hand strength and self discipline. In our house wrestling is a great way to stay in shape for motocross for my oldest son.

Last edited by Joe Daugherty; 01-05-12 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: added wrestling video link
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-12, 07:55 PM
All American

said_aouita
I agree motocross helps build core strength and endurance. Those races are long and usually hot.
A good buddy raced (B-class 125cc) way back when, was also a sub 1:52 half miler.
Old 01-05-12, 08:22 PM
All Yappi

bucksman is on a distinguished road
Somewhat tangetially, there's a kid on the Nazareth (PA) wrestling squad, Sage Karam, who is an up and coming young Indy Car (open-wheel) driver.
http://articles.mcall.com/2011-12-21...da-dan-wheldon
Old 01-05-12, 08:28 PM
All District

Blodg is on a distinguished road
Daugherty, as a former motocross racer I too have thought about the similarities. Unfortunately wrestling and motocross also share the fact that they have more than their share of overzealous or nazi parents that yell at their kids after a match/race for not performing as well as the parent thought they should. I hated seeing it in racing and I hate seeing it wrestling now.
Old 01-05-12, 09:01 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodg View Post
Daugherty, as a former motocross racer I too have thought about the similarities. Unfortunately wrestling and motocross also share the fact that they have more than their share of overzealous or nazi parents that yell at their kids after a match/race for not performing as well as the parent thought they should. I hated seeing it in racing and I hate seeing it wrestling now.
I actually edited the original post before I finalized it. It did say " Especially the crazy moms and Dads!' Seen it in both sports. Those kids usually don't last unfortunately.

Said, I love both sports! Motocross is so ridiculously expensive to compete at a high level that very few can do it competitively on a regular basis. But nothing compared to open wheel racing Bucksman.

All these sports take dedication from the athletes entire family. They all sacrifice in one way or another.

I hope you all watched and enjoyed the video.
Old 01-05-12, 09:49 PM
Freshman

mmm11 is on a distinguished road
Great post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Daugherty View Post
I actually edited the original post before I finalized it. It did say " Especially the crazy moms and Dads!' Seen it in both sports. Those kids usually don't last unfortunately.

Said, I love both sports! Motocross is so ridiculously expensive to compete at a high level that very few can do it competitively on a regular basis. But nothing compared to open wheel racing Bucksman.

All these sports take dedication from the athletes entire family. They all sacrifice in one way or another.

I hope you all watched and enjoyed the video.
I've been involved in both and there are alot of similarities.
Old 01-05-12, 09:54 PM
All Region

green-d is on a distinguished road
Wrestling has helped my son a great deal with his motocross career. It is also makes for no time off.
Old 01-05-12, 11:02 PM
All Region

dman
Motorcross is far more dangerous than wrestling it results in more injuries than any other sport per participant - I read that somewhere.
Old 01-05-12, 11:39 PM
All Region

TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
WOW this hits home, never really put 2 and 2 together but it's very similar. My mother swears I'm trying to put her in her grave, with her wrestling grandson (she was the best wrestling Mom EVER back in my day!)... and she refuses to go to the track and see him race. I must admit... win or lose we torture ourselves watching out kids doing what most won't... And enjoy it somehow. As far as safety, I'd rather see my boy on a mat or a MX track than many many other "safe" activities. fear=good
Old 01-06-12, 05:49 AM
All World

The fan1, I am with you.
Dman its actually one of the safest. Sometimes I think I pay more for the protective gear than the bile itself. Knee braces can run up to 2,00 plus, a good helmet runs 6 or 700. The neck braces go from 300 to 800, boots teck 10s run 600 plus, etc. Chest protectors, goggles, gloves....

Fan1, my wife can't go to the races. Every time she sees my son 40foot in the air she gets physically ill. The look on a lot of parents faces is the same. The ir reactions are similar. Grabbing things around them, screaming as loud as they can any words of encouragement etc.

I love them both. But I disagree that doing both leads to no down time. Motocross season is down time for Mason, and Damon 's break comes in wrestling . Although if I told Damon he could race all year he would love it. He can never get enough seat time on the bike. He would love to move to NC or California.
Old 01-06-12, 06:02 AM
All World

Did anyone notice the Owens family or the Hand family in the video? Both are local riders. Owens from Canton and Hand from Mantua.
Old 01-06-12, 08:05 AM
All Region

green-d is on a distinguished road
My son will not ride roller coasters or climb anything, but he has no problem jumping 140 foot jump in the rain, or wrestling 10 pounds over his weight class.
Old 01-06-12, 08:14 AM
Junior Varsity

2Hawks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Daugherty View Post
Did anyone notice the Owens family or the Hand family in the video? Both are local riders. Owens from Canton and Hand from Mantua.
Hand is a real good rider. My son raced against him on 65's. In my opinion motocross parents are night and day worse than wrestling parents. I'm speaking on the negative side.
Old 01-06-12, 09:01 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hawks View Post
Hand is a real good rider. My son raced against him on 65's. In my opinion motocross parents are night and day worse than wrestling parents. I'm speaking on the negative side.
I would agree at some level that they are. I think they rationalize there behavior due to the amount of $ and time they spend. Personally I am way more relaxed at the track than I am in a gym.

GreenD, imo if fear truly enters into their mind in a race then they should not be on the track. They are scared to death before the race but once the gate drops all fear subsides. Same on the mat. Kinda. :-)
Hand is a freak comparable to Nathan T or Nate S or Deno on the mat.
Old 01-06-12, 09:03 AM
All District

cromotion is on a distinguished road
The level these guys train is insane, equally insane as wrestling.

http://www.fuel.tv/themotoinsidetheoutdoors/episode

By far one of my favorite series on TV.
Old 01-06-12, 10:03 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromotion View Post
The level these guys train is insane, equally insane as wrestling.

http://www.fuel.tv/themotoinsidetheoutdoors/episode

By far one of my favorite series on TV.
Cromotion, awesome link! Thanks. My son wants to hit steel city this year! Its awesome to watch let alone ride in it. Ruts are so deep the pegs drag ! haha
Old 08-24-12, 07:57 AM
All World

I was thinking about how wrestlers with disabilities overcome big obstacles on the mat. Here is a good friend of my oldest son who is never going to let being paralyzed from the waste down get in his way of riding! Ryan Reddick is an amazing young man that won't take no for a answer!
Old 08-24-12, 12:27 PM
All District

cromotion is on a distinguished road
Where's the like button?
That is awesome- Once an adrenaline junky, always an adrenaline junky.
Old 08-24-12, 01:00 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromotion View Post
Where's the like button?
That is awesome- Once an adrenaline junky, always an adrenaline junky.
This young man has an amazing story. It was a matter of months and he was back on a quad then a bike. The other day I saw a picture of a kid around 8 years old with no arms below the elbows wrestling. Seeing athletes like these competing just makes you forget what ever issue you may be having that day.