Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority

Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority (http://www.yappi.com/forums/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.yappi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What happened to the Princeton VS Moeller rivalry (http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314194)

Vike16 07-13-18 01:09 PM

What happened to the Princeton VS Moeller rivalry
 
I might be a little bias. But I remember being a Viking and fired up every year for that Moeller game. It was like Ohio State vs Suckigan I mean Michigan sorry:wallbang:. I just want to know why they stopped playing

playboi12 07-13-18 01:30 PM

Good question. I would like to see it back on the last game of the season where it belongs! I think the culture of HS sports now leans toward scheduling not to lose instead of tradition. So when you have that, you see games like this fall by the wayside. Princeton's enrollment dropped over the past decade but not to the level where they don't have the horses to compete with Moeller or any other school. I cant wrap my head around it.

Vike16 07-13-18 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by playboi12 (Post 7068022)
Good question. I would like to see it back on the last game of the season where it belongs! I suppose the culture of HS sports leans toward scheduling not to lose instead of tradition.

I agree. Since they stopped playing Princeton struggled greatly over the years. I think they are getting better now, but it would be great to see this comeback. I just hope Princeton wasn't scared to play Moeller

clarkgriswold 07-13-18 02:10 PM

I suspect Moeller doesn't see much of an upside to playing Princeton as they've been pretty awful ranging back to the last time they played (2004). There's just not much of a benefit in playing a 2, 3 or 4 win team.

Rabbit 07-13-18 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkgriswold (Post 7068031)
I suspect Moeller doesn't see much of an upside to playing Princeton as they've been pretty awful ranging back to the last time they played (2004). There's just not much of a benefit in playing a 2, 3 or 4 win team.

I guarantee Moeller would play them every year if the Vikes would schedule them. Moeller would rather play local teams vs. traveling to Louisville, Columbus, Cleveland.

playboi12 07-13-18 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarkgriswold (Post 7068031)
I suspect Moeller doesn't see much of an upside to playing Princeton as they've been pretty awful ranging back to the last time they played (2004). There's just not much of a benefit in playing a 2, 3 or 4 win team.

You may be right. But it is a better upside than playing a team from Canada every year.

ArnoldRothstien 07-13-18 02:26 PM

Princeton has done some plucking of good talent as of late from Winton Woods especially. . Mike Daniels is very open about recruiting kids and will get dinged in the near future. Trust me it’s going to happen, but what do they have to lose they’ve been aweful for 10 years.. Other than when McLaughlin was bringing the program back to respectability, he left. They will be better this year and next possibly, but will fall hard from violations

oxat622 07-13-18 02:44 PM

Thank you guy with 11 posts.

Princeton stopped winning. That's what happened. The last time they played was 2008 when Princeton had Ware, Duckworth, Dwayne Woods etc. and they still couldn't. Should've beat Moeller in 2001 at Galbraith Field

MoeDude 07-13-18 02:49 PM

Princeton gradually kept dropping in the years after Mancuso. Coach Mancuso was a great rival one of those that if you played against him you hated him but if you played for him you loved him. From discussions I've had with former players he was a really great guy that cared about his players. He also was a master at legally bringing in top talent. I remember players transferring in from Middletown and old Forest Park and making their team a state competitor. Man if Yappi had been around then the Moeller Princeton Banter would have been heated banter full of all kinds of accusations. :laugh: It was a great rivlary with a lot of respect and animosity. I don't think it will ever reach that level again. Many of good football games were played with a lot of great talent on both sides of the ball.

cincyhoops 07-13-18 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArnoldRothstien (Post 7068040)
Princeton has done some plucking of good talent as of late from Winton Woods especially. . Mike Daniels is very open about recruiting kids and will get dinged in the near future. Trust me it’s going to happen, but what do they have to lose they’ve been aweful for 10 years.. Other than when McLaughlin was bringing the program back to respectability, he left. They will be better this year and next possibly, but will fall hard from violations

Probably just trying to get the guys back that Winton Woods recruited from them to begin with! :D

fish82 07-13-18 05:04 PM

Those were truly some epic games. It would be pretty cool if both teams could consistently get back to that level someday.

playboi12 07-13-18 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincyhoops (Post 7068086)
Probably just trying to get the guys back that Winton Woods recruited from them to begin with! :D

This!

ArnoldRothstien 07-13-18 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxat622 (Post 7068049)
Thank you guy with 11 posts.

Princeton stopped winning. That's what happened. The last time they played was 2008 when Princeton had Ware, Duckworth, Dwayne Woods etc. and they still couldn't. Should've beat Moeller in 2001 at Galbraith Field

Welcome. 12th post now. We all had to start sometime. Clown

warriorblue 07-13-18 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxat622 (Post 7068049)
Thank you guy with 11 posts.

Princeton stopped winning. That's what happened. The last time they played was 2008 when Princeton had Ware, Duckworth, Dwayne Woods etc. and they still couldn't. Should've beat Moeller in 2001 at Galbraith Field

I would have to agree.

warriorblue 07-13-18 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArnoldRothstien (Post 7068040)
Princeton has done some plucking of good talent as of late from Winton Woods especially. . Mike Daniels is very open about recruiting kids and will get dinged in the near future. Trust me it’s going to happen, but what do they have to lose they’ve been aweful for 10 years.. Other than when McLaughlin was bringing the program back to respectability, he left. They will be better this year and next possibly, but will fall hard from violations

Any player that left WW to play for Princeton couldn't hack at WW.

nooks 07-14-18 01:42 AM

...Things change... demographics, enrollment, economics, coaching and location. Look at Massillon, Canton, Akron, Troy. Nothing lasts forever. That's life. Doesn't mean it couldn't come back...just probably not in our lifetimes.

Vincent and Regina 07-14-18 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxat622 (Post 7068049)

Princeton stopped winning. That's what happened. The last time they played was 2008 when Princeton had Ware, Duckworth, Dwayne Woods etc. and they still couldn't. Should've beat Moeller in 2001 at Galbraith Field

As an outsider of both schools I can say I heard the legend of those games.

What happened was the GMC. The game usually went in week 10. The GMC had three rival games week 10. Princeton/Moeller, Oak HIlls/Elder and Colerain/Lasalle. The other 7 GMC schools had a hard time scheduling week 10 so they voted to move the 7 conference schedule to weeks 4-10. Princeton and Moeller could not accommodate that move and the series went away.

All 3 of those series has suffered. Moeller/Princeton never made a return. Oak Hills/Elder has been played in weeks 1, 2, and 3, but has gone away again. Colerain/LaSalle had stopped and now bounced from week 3 to week 1. I think they just reupped for 2 more years.

warriorblue 07-14-18 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent and Regina (Post 7068232)
As an outsider of both schools I can say I heard the legend of those games.

What happened was the GMC. The game usually went in week 10. The GMC had three rival games week 10. Princeton/Moeller, Oak HIlls/Elder and Colerain/Lasalle. The other 7 GMC schools had a hard time scheduling week 10 so they voted to move the 7 conference schedule to weeks 4-10. Princeton and Moeller could not accommodate that move and the series went away.

All 3 of those series has suffered. Moeller/Princeton never made a return. Oak Hills/Elder has been played in weeks 1, 2, and 3, but has gone away again. Colerain/LaSalle had stopped and now bounced from week 3 to week 1. I think they just reupped for 2 more years.

Great points. Although, i believe the series ended before the GMC went to 7 league games. After that, Moeller didn't want to play anymore because Princeton wasn't winning.

Vincent and Regina 07-14-18 04:47 PM

According to Elder's website 2004 was the last Elder/Oak Hills game in week 10. In 2005 the game was in week 3.

2004 http://media.elderhs.net/EHSportsArc...istory2004.htm

2005 http://media.elderhs.net/EHSportsArc...istory2005.htm

Also in 2004 this is Moeller schedule http://legacy.ehsports.com/opponents...ler&iyear=2004

2005 http://legacy.ehsports.com/opponents...ler&iyear=2005

Looks like they played in the showdown in 2008, but not since then.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.