PDA

View Full Version : rankings compilation 10-22

consumerman
10-24-07, 12:14 AM
note: theses are not ALL the rankings as some others have suggested, just a collection of SEVERAL of the rankings

http://calpreps.com/2007/polls_view.htm

SLCDad
10-24-07, 08:25 AM
note: theses are not ALL the rankings as some others have suggested, just a collection of SEVERAL of the rankings

http://calpreps.com/2007/polls_view.htm

Can you name the national rankings that are not included?

skyway28
10-24-07, 10:47 AM
Prep Sports Index is not in there. Also, the inclusion of faulty rankings also messes up what they have there.

pied
10-24-07, 10:48 AM
How do you determine that rankings are faulty?

skyway28
10-24-07, 10:57 AM
1) The credibility of who does the rankings is greatly in question. i.e. this year's sports illustrated rankings.
2) Any computer-based rankings.

SLCDad
10-24-07, 11:25 AM
Prep Sports Index is not in there. Also, the inclusion of faulty rankings also messes up what they have there.

Are you sure Prep Sports Index is a national ranking? Can you provide a link?

The other national ranking that I'm aware of is the Massey Rankings. They do a national computer ranking. However, they don't do California (I'm not sure why) so obviously they can't be included.

SLCDad
10-24-07, 11:29 AM
1) The credibility of who does the rankings is greatly in question. i.e. this year's sports illustrated rankings.
2) Any computer-based rankings.

Really?

The Sports Illustrated rankings are in-line with the other human rankings. What's the problem?

Are you aware that the computer rankings have been shown to be as accurate as the human rankings?

(They did a study of head to head match-ups of ranked teams and found that the computer rankings were just as accurate as the human rankings.)

skyway28
10-24-07, 11:40 AM
Really?

The Sports Illustrated rankings are in-line with the other human rankings. What's the problem?

Are you aware that the computer rankings have been shown to be as accurate as the human rankings?

(They did a study of head to head match-ups of ranked teams and found that the computer rankings were just as accurate as the human rankings.)

It's not whether the rankings are in line with others. It's: Who is doing the rankings, what are his/her credentials and how much football have they seen on a national level? Some of those rankings are done by people who have established nothing in the way of credibility, regardless of what they have in their rankings.

http://prepsportsindex.com/

skyway28
10-24-07, 11:41 AM
"Are you aware that the computer rankings have been shown to be as accurate as the human rankings?"

Again, what is the basis for forming this conclusion?

pied
10-24-07, 11:46 AM
Really?

If that's the case, then why bother with the computer rankings, since they are not "accurate" until late in the season?

SLCDad
10-24-07, 12:21 PM
"Are you aware that the computer rankings have been shown to be as accurate as the human rankings?"

Again, what is the basis for forming this conclusion?

Did you read my post? I already explained that.

SLCDad
10-24-07, 12:25 PM

Are you serious about the Prep Sports Index? I saw the link you posted. As far as I can tell, it's pretty much a joke. Where is the latest ranking?

Can ANYONE post a link to a national ranking that's not already included in the Calpreps compilation?

Both Consumerman and Skyway28 have said there are other rankings. I'd like to see them.

SLCDad
10-24-07, 05:37 PM
Both Consumerman and Skyway28 have said there are other rankings. I'd like to see them.

Consumerman or Skyway28: Can you back-up your claim that there are other national rankings that are not included in the compilation ranking done by Calpreps?

skyway28
10-25-07, 09:49 AM
Dad: To prove my point, perhaps I need to create my own rankings and post it somewhere. Of course, I don't travel around the country and evaluate teams. Really, I have no way of comparing teams from one region to those from another when there are no common links. Then again, that wouldn't make me any different than many of the other folks that publish rankings. Do I need to do that, or do you get the idea?

SLCDad
10-25-07, 02:37 PM
Dad: To prove my point, perhaps I need to create my own rankings and post it somewhere. Of course, I don't travel around the country and evaluate teams. Really, I have no way of comparing teams from one region to those from another when there are no common links. Then again, that wouldn't make me any different than many of the other folks that publish rankings. Do I need to do that, or do you get the idea?

You and Consumerman said there are other national rankings (that are not included in the Calpreps compilation). I'm not aware of any others but I could be wrong. That's why I'm asking.