PDA

View Full Version : Best Movie Based In Ohio?

Yappi
05-03-18, 09:25 PM
The Cincinnati Kid
The Faculty
Freddy vs. Jason
Girls Nite Out
Go Tigers!
Heathers
I Am Number Four
Little Giants
Major League
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Rain Man
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
Scream 2
The Silence of the Lambs
Small Soldiers
Super 8
Tommy Boy
The Watch
X-Men: Apocalypse

cabezadecaballo
05-04-18, 04:39 AM
You missed the best. Shawshank Redemption was filmed at the Mansfield Reformatory. I heard somewhere that the giant oak tree by the stone wall died :(

bob22
05-04-18, 05:26 AM
You missed the best. Shawshank Redemption was filmed at the Mansfield Reformatory. I heard somewhere that the giant oak tree by the stone wall died :(Filmed in Ohio but set in Maine

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

dado6
05-04-18, 07:41 AM
'An Innocent Man' - Tom Sellick

The prison gym scene (and the scene where he shanked a fellow con) were filmed in Norwood's Middle school lower gym, where the MS wrestling team practices. They needed a run-down gym.........it was so bad, they had to do some fixing up for the movie.

Taco MacArthur
05-04-18, 08:03 AM
Yappi, did you copy and paste this from somewhere or do you not know Cincinnati is spelled with one "t" and 3 "n"s?

Didn't realize a few of these movies were set in Ohio though. I'll go Tommy Boy or Major League.

cabezadecaballo
05-04-18, 08:51 AM
Filmed in Ohio but set in Maine

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

I know. Yappi wrote "based in Ohio". Not set, not based upon life in Ohio, but merely based in Ohio.

The Dock
05-04-18, 10:07 AM
Rebound is getting no love! C'mon, it's even got Martin Lawrence in it.

Yappi
05-04-18, 10:08 AM
Yappi, did you copy and paste this from somewhere or do you not know Cincinnati is spelled with one "t" and 3 "n"s?

Copy and pasted the ones I recognized from a few different resources.

Yappi
05-04-18, 10:13 AM
You missed the best. Shawshank Redemption was filmed at the Mansfield Reformatory. I heard somewhere that the giant oak tree by the stone wall died :(

I left out Shawshank Redemption and A Christmas Story because they were based in other states.

cabezadecaballo
05-04-18, 11:11 AM
The cast and crew for Major League were based in Milwaukee County Stadium :shrug:

Yappi
05-04-18, 01:04 PM
Not where it was filmed, where the story says it took place.

Interestingly, I was in the movie Major League. My part wasn't real big. Look for me when they fly over the stadium. I'm one of the people in the crowd. Unfortunately I didn't get paid or put in the credits!

Taco MacArthur
05-04-18, 01:27 PM
Interestingly, I was in the movie Major League. My part wasn't real big. Look for me when they fly over the stadium. I'm one of the people in the crowd. Unfortunately I didn't get paid or put in the credits!

That's pretty cool. I know people who were extras for the Ides of March that came out earlier this decade. IIRC they did some filming up near Miami's campus and a few friends drove up to be some faces in the crowd.

vamp2syd
05-04-18, 06:59 PM
GUMMO

"Lonely residents of a tornado-stricken Ohio town wander the deserted landscape trying to fulfill their boring, nihilistic lives."

Though the movie was shot in Tennessee it takes place in Xenia Ohio the days after the F5 Tornado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u7UG6n5100

vamp2syd
05-04-18, 07:18 PM
As for Horror movies, one of my favorites is called "Trick R Treat" and that movie is based in the fictional Ohio town of Warren Valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTOHbEOLcCU

vamp2syd
05-04-18, 07:19 PM
My vote is for "Trick R Treat"

nupanther
05-05-18, 02:53 AM
A borderline cult classic from the 80s is "...All the Marbles" starring Peter Falk. Women's wrestling duo taking all comers in the Midwest. Lots of film in Youngstown ( they used Akron in the movie) good pictures of Mill creek park and the Cinderella bridge.

EagleFan
05-05-18, 07:48 AM
Major League

cabezadecaballo
05-05-18, 08:31 AM
I struggle with such questions.

I guess if I was to look at cinema from a film-making perspective I could pick a "technical best", but good movies - good enough to suspend disbelief and enjoy as an immersive experience - to me are purely experiential. As such, what's "best" depends upon my own mood.

Major League, Rain Man, and Silence of the Lambs in a three-way tie for me.

BigBallin'4theFuture
05-08-18, 12:43 PM
Other: "Traffic" and "A Rage in Harlem" were filmed in Cincinnati. GREAT movies.

Taco MacArthur
05-08-18, 01:56 PM
Other: "Traffic" and "A Rage in Harlem" were filmed in Cincinnati. GREAT movies.

Traffic, along with 2 other movies (I want to say one with Denzel Washington), were all filmed in my building downtown.