PDA

View Full Version : Solon Track

alum
05-08-08, 08:25 PM
I can't have my favorite sport, track, neglected. Solon boys had a huge win over Medina on Wednesday to stay unbeaten. Pierce is a stud, flat out.

To generate more interest in the thread, it seems as though some football players are running especially well - Lemus, Hammonds, Meyerson. Haven't seen much on Piscitello and Ruby...maybe hurt, or maybe some guys passed them up? Greer also doing well in the shot. I saw Baldwin threw the disc at an invitational last week, too (I believe he finished 5th or 6th).

Hurri-Comet
05-08-08, 10:37 PM
Comets doing well on cinders. So are girls. Medina victory was BIG! You're right about Chadd Pierce. He was doing great at pole vault, now Humphrey took over. Is he nicked up? Uhhh, probably not, since he is winning 110-meter hurdles and high jumps. I know Greer is doing good work on weights also. Solon girls won Gary Smith Invitational at Worthington. Hannah Ringo, Alyssa Janezic, Robin Gilmore, and Halle Stolarsky all starred. I believe boys came in close second.

Keep us informed Alum. :cool:

Metacomet
05-08-08, 11:21 PM
I can't have my favorite sport, track, neglected. Solon boys had a huge win over Medina on Wednesday to stay unbeaten. Pierce is a stud, flat out.

To generate more interest in the thread, it seems as though some football players are running especially well - Lemus, Hammonds, Meyerson. Haven't seen much on Piscitello and Ruby...maybe hurt, or maybe some guys passed them up? Greer also doing well in the shot. I saw Baldwin threw the disc at an invitational last week, too (I believe he finished 5th or 6th).

Do you get to any track meets, alum? Do you know all the personnel? I did see the result of Solon's victory over Medina in the PD. I'd been worried about that meet, fearing that Solon's long winning streak might be in jeopardy.

Wasn't Medina something like top 5 in the state meet last year? Beating the Bees is very heady stuff. For those who don't know, Solon's boys track team hasn't lost a dual meet since about 1992.

While Pierce might be Solon's best all-aound performer, football players are major contributors to the track program; Greer and Baldwin in the field events and Meyerson, Hammonds, and Lemus in speed events.

I, too, would like to know how Pish and Ruby are doing. Kevin Hicks, too. There is a kid named Humphrey who is doing well in sprints. Is he Chris Humphrey, the freshman football player? Or is this another Humphrey? I'd like to know.

Does the AP rank boys (or girls) track teams? I never see rankings in the paper, but that doesn't mean there's no poll. I'd be curious to know where Solon might be ranked statewide. Does anyone know?

Grandpa1
05-10-08, 10:05 AM
Some ex Comet tracksters are now helping coach the sport.

Jessica Valentino graduates today from Miami U. and this semester while student teaching Spanish she helped coach track at Ross High in Hamilton, OH.

Jessica lettered 4 years at Solon and ran hurdles, 4x100, running broad jump and pole vaulted at meets where it was included.

At Ross High, the girls hurdler was undefeated the last I heard and the 4x100 relay team set a new school record. She also helped the broadjumpers. It was good experience for Jessi as she experienced first hand the joy of seeing the girls times improve each week. BTW, Ross High had no dual meets, they were all invitational in SW Ohio. It is also a pay-to-play district in the farmland (no homework on FFA meeting night).

Time to leave for Comet girls softball game(s) in Strongsville's Volunteer Parkwhere. Still have Solon games to attend.

alum
05-10-08, 10:31 PM
If there are rankings in track, the PD doesn't consistently provide them...I'll give credit to the PD for its coverage of HS football and even basketball, but anything else in HS athletics, wow, not nearly as much attention.

Anyway, Humphrey is a senior - older brother to Chris, and it looks like he'll be tough to replace next year. Still, the team is young, and it looks as though the team could be strong again next year and beyond. Next week is the conference meet (Thursday and Saturday according to baumspage.com), and I hope to be in attendance, at least on Saturday (9:00 at Twinsburg).

alum
05-17-08, 02:12 PM
The Solon Boys track team won today's championship meet by a comfortable margin (around 20 points). Great job to the athletes who competed. Chadd Pierce broke the pole vault record (14-7), came in second in the 110s and 300 hurdles, and I believe placed 6th in the high jump. Mike Humphrey came in second in the vault (14-3), second in the 200, third in the 100, and anchored the winning 4x200 meter relay team. A great win for the boys, and the future is very bright with some serious speed in the younger classes (4x100 meter ran 2 freshman and 2 sophomores, and placed third!)

Metacomet
05-17-08, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the report, alum. That's great news. Congratulations to the boys' track team for a successful NOC season. :)

Grandpa1
05-17-08, 05:18 PM
Thanks alum. I read the stats in the PD a couple days ago and for some reason, that meet was briefly reported; like only the field events took place. Solon was listed in first place and glad to hear they won the Division.

Grandpa1
05-18-08, 11:39 AM
Read the PD story this morning and the win was a Conference Championship not just a Division.

And the girls won too!

That's a super duper track day for Comets!

Hurri-Comet
05-18-08, 06:44 PM
Great win for a team that hasn't been particularly given deserved props from Plain Dealer. Win over Medina was huge, and conference championship speaks for itself for boys and girls. Really a great year for Solon track.

And now on to districts. :cool:

Grandpa1
05-20-08, 09:53 AM
Boys track Districts start today, Tuesday, and finish Friday at Ravenna. Is this new for Solon to go south for Districts?

Top four in each event qualify for Youngstown!

Metacomet
05-20-08, 11:43 AM
Boys track Districts start today, Tuesday, and finish Friday at Ravenna. Is this new for Solon to go south for Districts?

Top four in each event qualify for Youngstown!

Nope. Solon has gone to the Ravenna/Fitch districts/regionals for the last couple of years.

Nice photo of the boys' track team in the PD. Too bad the paper didn't ID the people in the picture. :confused:

Grandpa1
05-24-08, 11:12 AM
Congratulations to the Comet Boys & Girls who did so well in their District meet. Regionals next in Youngstown.

The way I read the PD internet is Solon won their District with Hudson second (for boys). And the girls won too!

:clap: :Party: :clap:

Hurri-Comet
05-24-08, 12:20 PM
Have to ditto the balloons and applause. Solon sophomore Caitlin Hartnett ran a record 5:00. 84 in the 1600 and finished SECOND! Solon junior Jeremy Schiele ran a great 9:40.61 to win the3,200. And Solon junior Chadd Pierce set another record in the pole vault (14-9), won the 300 hurdles (39.50) and was second in the 110 hurdles (15.31) behind Comets junior Ken Brown (15.29). Coach Dan Iwan is definitely proud of this team after battling adversity and injuries all season.

GO COMETS!!!!! Boys and Girls! :cool:

:clap: :Party: :clap: :banana: :banana: :thumb:

alum
05-24-08, 05:39 PM
Congrats to the boys and girls. Looking ahead to the regionals, Austintown has been traditionally an excellent regional, a "mini-state" meet, really. You have to be a stud to get out of there alive.

With that being said, Pierce has the best vault coming into this regional, and Humphrey is in the top 4. Pierce has a chance to advance in the 110 HH and 300 IMs, but again, he would have to run great, great races. I don't know anything about Ken Brown - he must be a move in? - except that he must be pretty fast, and I suppose he has an outside chance of making it to the state meet as well. I'll throw Bederman in as a guy who has an outside chance of making it in the 400. There's definitely no room for mediocre races from here on out. There's no real chances for Solon's relays (I thought their 4x400 had a chance, but something funky must have happened at Ravenna...they really ran a poor time in the finals).

I don't really follow the girls team, but in an attempt to be complete, Hartnett is a stud. Nothing insightful, there, as she was the state runner-up last year in the 800. It will be interesting to see if she attempts to qualify in both the 1600 and 800...that would be impressive, but also dangerous - the 1600 is before the 800, and even though there is enough time to rest, it must take something out of you. The regional is a little more forgiving on the girl's side, but it's still tough. Ringo has a real chance in the 3200, and it's possible Gilmore can make it in the disc. The 4x800 team has an excellent chance to move on (both Hartnett and Ringo are on it), and even the 4x400 has an outside chance (Hartnett is on that, as well).

It should be interesting...keep your fingers crossed for these guys (and girls)!

Hurri-Comet
05-24-08, 08:07 PM
Great post! You really know your way around the cinders and grass Alum. :cool:

alum
05-25-08, 10:01 AM
Thanks...I did forget one person who has a chance to make it to the state meet - Jeremy Schiele in the 3200. He has the 5th or 6th fastest time coming into Austintown. He'll have to run well, but he has a chance.

alum
05-29-08, 11:42 AM
Chadd Pierce and Mike Humphrey qualified for the state meet in the pole vault, a huge accomplishment.

Pierce and Ken Brown both made the finals in the 110 hurdles. They have the 5th and 6th fastest times, so they're going to have to step it up to make it to Columbus. Pierce has the 3rd fastest 300 hurdles time, but the 4th-6th fastest times behind him are very, very close, so he'll have to run a very good race to make it.

AJ Hicks (a freshman!) finished 5th in the discus, missing making it to Columbus by one place...literally by an inch (he threw 147-3, 147-4 was 4th place). So close, but wow, what a future.

Bederman didn't run the 400...he must be hurt. Too bad, because he probably would have made the finals.

No relay made it. Greer throws the shot Friday.

All results are on baumspage.com.

Grandpa1
05-29-08, 12:28 PM
Thanks Alum, that's a lot to digest on baumspage!

I imagine the boys running events are tough with Glenville in the house. Never was good at any field event; could high jump nearly as high as my pole vault.

As I got older, I did better in track. Must be very careful because it's mostly amatuer and the authorities don't like gambling bets on that! Track runs in my family though - before me and after me. Uncles coached track and mother was good. Granddaughter lettered as a freshman and helped coach during student teaching this spring. If God inteneded for me to run fast, He would have given me longer legs. And pole vaulting seems to be something of a Middle Ages thing - you know - get over the stone wall in a battle? :eek: Go Comets - Run like...well run fast! I'll bet...I bet it will rain on the weekend!

alum
05-31-08, 08:56 AM
The boys will send two pole vaulters to the state meet, and the girls have their 4x800, Hartnett in the 1600 and 800, Ringo in the 3200, and Gilmore in the disc.

Pierce finished 5th in the 110 hurdles, Brown 6th (top 4 make it). Chadd ran 14.77, Ken 14.79, and the 4th place time was 14.68...very, very close. In the 300 hurdles, Chadd ran a PR, I believe, running in the high 38's, finishing 6th. He was .06 away from making it to the state meet. Ridiculously close. Schiele finished 5th in the 3200, running sub-9:40. He missed by about 2 seconds. Again, very close. Greer did not make it to the finals in the shot.

The boys finished 4th in the regional, an outstanding mark. The better news is that with the exception of Humphrey, every regional point scorer is coming back for at least one more season. They could be exceptional next season.

The girls performed well, too. They finished 5th in the regional. Hartnett is a great runner, and so is Ringo. Gilmore won in the disc, so without looking at the other three regional meets, you would have to think that she has a chance to place high in the state meet, perhaps even win it.

Overall, an outstanding track season with one more meet to go.

Hurri-Comet
05-31-08, 10:54 AM
So close, yet so far. Really, as you say, a great track season, and best of luck at state in the PV. Girls did better, but, all in all, the competition, and times and distances were set high at Austintown. Next year we just may be loaded. Thanks alum. :cool:

Grandpa1
05-31-08, 02:14 PM
Great job by both men & women in the Regionals. This has to be a thrill to compete at the State. Yet we know that sometimes seniors don't want to put in the effort for a tournament after their clases have ended. That's a mistake.

Looked ahead at the Comets best qualifiers. Robin Gilmore won the discus at 131-01 which was better than finalists in two of the other Regionals.

Chad Pierce finished #1 (14-00) and Mike Humphrey #4 (13-03) in the pole vault. They'll have a tougher time for a ribbon because all the other Regional finalists vaulted higher.

I sure wish all the participants the best next week! :clap:

Two surprises at Austintown for me was that the Glenville men were not #1 and the Bedford women were #37 with a single point.

Thanks again alum for that link to Baumspage. As I said, a lot of info to digest. But I did and here are the finalists (no particular order) in the unique first-name competition:

Women...Asfura, Sydnee, Sbatasia, Synethia, Nefertitia, Chanae, Kachay, Jewlisa & Makeela.

Men...Devaunte, Jeffon, Dontave, DeAver, Jarrele, Jalil, Carzelle, Wael, Colwyn, Sequayah & Aarick.

Grandpa1
06-09-08, 01:00 PM
Nice effort by the boys in Columbus as they brought the team into a tie for 35th place in Division 1 track & field. Chad Pierce earned All-Ohio Honors and a 4th place in the pole vault with a 14-08.

What was really amazing is those 5 Comet girls who qualified and brought Solon to a 4th place finish! All five won All Ohio Honors in their events! Great athleticism!

:Party:

alum
06-09-08, 06:21 PM
Pierce finished 3rd. A great effort by a junior that has a chance to be a state champ next year.

Hartnett is a stud. She ran great and also has the chance to be a state champ (now that Infeld has graduated). The rest of the girls performed well, too.

Overall a great track year.

Metacomet
06-09-08, 09:13 PM
Pierce finished 3rd. A great effort by a junior that has a chance to be a state champ next year.

Hartnett is a stud. She ran great and also has the chance to be a state champ (now that Infeld has graduated). The rest of the girls performed well, too.

Thanks for the track reports, alum. Hopefully, Pierce will win the individual title next year. I'll look forward to watching Baldwin progress in the field events and I'm anxious to see if our short distance racers can qualify for state next year.

Great performance at states by the girls. I believe fourth is their highest finish ever.

One question though. Is it politically correct to call Ms. Hartnett a stud? What would be the alternative? A studette? A track goddess? I just don't know. :shrug: :angel: :D

gocomets
03-05-09, 11:49 PM
A little early, but Solon track should be one of the best in the area/state. The indoor track season, while not too important, is in session, and the Comets have had some pretty amazing performances. The OATCC indoor meet is a meet for the top 25 performers in the state in each event. Pierce has hit 15 feet already in pole vault, Schiele has run a 4:31 mile, and two other Comets have already broken 10 minutes in the two mile. Some VERY impressive stuff for indoor. Sprints are looking good with some good relays. Here's a link with some performances in the state if anyone's interested:

http://oh.milesplit.us/rankings/2009/indoor/hs/m

Grandpa1
06-08-09, 09:26 AM
If I read the stats correctly, Solon Boys did have enough points for a 24th place finish. Chad Pierce tied for second in the pole vault and AJ Hicks was 2nd in the discuss. They both also ran in a relay too. Jeremy Schiele was 10th in the 3200 meter and did not qualify for the 1600 (mile?). The 4x400 relay was 9th.

Apparently 8 girls went to Columbus. The 4x800 team placed 9th and the 4x100 team was 14th.

Congratulations to the Comets who made the state track meet!

Hurri-Comet
06-11-09, 11:24 AM

Isn't Chadd a senior? I've read he is going to North Carolina University. ACC track. :cool: