PDA

View Full Version : Solon/Mentor

cardzfan1234
09-04-07, 12:14 PM
Without delving too much into this year's game, just wondering the opion of Comet Nation on the past Mentor/Solon games. How would you rank the importance of this year's game compared to all the other Mentor/Solon games this decade? Here's how I would rank the top five regular season games in order of importance to both teams:

2002 - The hype on that game was very big. It was Mentor's first great team since the 60's and finally getting a chance to beat Solon was a big deal. Unfortunately it got ugly and it was one of the toughest regular season losses I have witnessed as a Mentor fan - maybe the toughest.

2007 - This year's game should begin the topic of who is best fit to challenge Iggy for the Region 1 crown.

2006 - Both teams were 2-0 after some solid wins over good programs. It was a pretty close game and it was a defining point in the season for both. We know the end of the story here.

2005 - After Mentor started 1-1, I knew this would be a game that would define their season. The Cards lost despite having a half time lead. It all went down the pooper from there, very similar to the Solon 2006 team

2004 - I was unable to make this game for some reason I can't remember. But it seemed like a pretty exciting game from what I remember reading.

Metacomet
09-04-07, 02:56 PM
Right now, I'd place this one second only to the 2002 game in statewide interest and impact. But it is possible that this game might even prove bigger. We'll have to see what happens down the road.

The 2004 game was one of my favorites in the series. After a crushing defeat the year before, Solon got back on track with a win. It was also a fun, entertaining game. Solon won, 30-22, with a long Shimits TD run cementing the triumph in the closing minutes. The play climaxed a game that had a lot of momentum and lead changes. Offense beat offense that night.

Hurri-Comet
09-04-07, 07:44 PM
Can't add much, but this years' game is monstrous. 2002 regular season was great for us, playoff and it's last 2 minutes and overtime is something I'll never get over, never. All time record 9-4 Solon? GO COMETS!!!!!

SolonAAA
09-04-07, 08:16 PM
Without delving too much into this year's game, just wondering the opion of Comet Nation on the past Mentor/Solon games. How would you rank the importance of this year's game compared to all the other Mentor/Solon games this decade?

The Solon victories are critically important to the survival of humankind, and will be studied by the greatest thinkers for thousands of years.

The Mentor wins are meaningless aberrations.

jimbo
09-05-07, 01:59 PM
:cool: Looking forward to another exciting night at Stewart Field!! Keep up the good, hard work COMETS!!! :cool:

Hurri-Comet
09-05-07, 04:15 PM
The Solon victories are critically important to the survival of humankind, and will be studied by the greatest thinkers for thousands of years.

The Mentor wins are meaningless aberrations.

"meaningless aberrations"? Don't expect smiles on that from Byron Morgan, or Jim McQuaide, AAA. Or from about 44 starters from those teams. :cool:

jimbo
09-10-07, 08:42 AM
How do we get a passing game? What has happened to our receivers? What do we need to address in the lower ranks (jv/frosh) to get some good receivers on varsity year after year???:confused:

Metacomet
09-10-07, 09:11 AM
The JV team is throwing the ball. Probably not enough to be truly balanced, but Johnny Moeschberger and Jake Voigt are still getting a chance to develop.

Kevin Hicks is a great JV receiver. I've told others that his hands are as good as anyone Solon has, and he adjusts to the ball in flight better than anyone in the program. He's got good speed, too. But right now, he's got a slight, 140-pound build and I think he should wait a year before he's subjected to pounding by varsity players. Oh, yeah. He's also the kickoff/punt guy for the JV. But for some reason, he's not permitted to kick extra points or field goals.

The freshman team hardly passes at all. Brett Goudy and Chris Humphrey are the QBs. Both guys seem to be run-first kinds of QBs. In fact, Humphrey plays receiver when Goudy is in at QB. Jovon Johnson, Zach Kruse, and Cody Marcantonio are the other receivers. They all seem like good athletes, so I'd be reluctant to say that they are not capable receivers.

It's hard for me to believe that Solon can't find one kid in each grade who can pass. It would be to Solon's benefit to identify any potential varsity passers by seventh grade, and to oversee their constant development. That's how Mentor does it. They select and nurture their future varsity QBs in the spread from the seventh grade on. By the time a Mentor quarterback reaches ninth grade, he already runs the no-huddle spread like an expert. Solon's methods for developing quarterbacks seem haphazard in comparison. We've got to start developing QBs as efficiently as Mentor does.

While we're not very deep in receivers, I don't believe that the varsity receiver corps is bad. Cuccia is fast and has good hands. I'm not sure he and Brillhart are on the same page all the time. Butch had great rapport with Moesch on last year's JV. Coleman is a standout tight end, and he and Brill have been effective working together. Meyerson hasn't done much yet. He's small, but he's a great route runner with outstanding hands. He and Voigt were deadly on last year's frosh team. So far, Meyerson has caught one pass--from Voigt, in the Twinsburg game. He and Brill haven't connected.

I'd like to see both Tyler Rodman and Matt Piscitello get some time on offense. Both have height and above-average speed. Both were terrific for last year's JV. Adding them to the mix will give us a little greater big-play potential, IMO.

I'd also like to see the backs get more involved in the passing game. Where is the swing pass, always one of Solon's pet plays? Ricky Tonelli is an excellent receiver and he's got great speed for his size if he gets the ball in space and can build up some momentum. Eric Smoloff has been moved to fullback on the JV team and has turned the swing pass into a big weapon for the reserves. He's got tailback-like speed for a fullback, and he could be a weapon as a runner/receiver for the varsity.

Hurri-Comet
09-11-07, 02:17 PM
Certainly agree about Rodman and Piscitello as I was screaming Friday night, they need to throw DOWNFIELD and "stretch" the defense. Eric Smoloff has been screwed long enough, he deserves reps at fullback, has quick enough start that's for sure, and the swing pass or screen to fullback has been $$$$$ for Comets in past. Anyway, Ricky could use the breaks at times and Smoloff just may break one. :cool:

BWJACKETS
10-30-07, 12:04 AM
I agree about Smoloff for sure at FB, he needs to grow into the position but for in order for him to do that the coaches need to put him in the game! He's going to be a senior this year and should be one of the key guys, but in order for him to be a big threat the coaches have to get him more touches, Eric always runs very hard.