PDA

View Full Version : Football thoughts

Grandpa1
05-14-07, 09:46 AM
I thought OHSAA was going to create fewer Div.1 schools for football this year. If 715 schools were divided equally into 6 divisions, there would be 119.2 schools in each division. So we end up with 115 in Div.1 and 121 each in Divisions 5 & 6. Is that the BIG DEAL change? Out of 715 schools, 4 more appear at the bottom and 4 less at the top?

Interesting that Twinsburg made Div.1 by 4 boys and Nordonia by 29. The Knights will find playoffs a bit tougher whenever they get there again.

The Comets will be in 'bigger" company this season; not so many of those "500" boy WRC schools. Solon has 722 boys; Mentor 1148; Lakewood 767; Brunswick 961; Elyria 888; Medina 857 and Strongsville 944. Surprised me that Massillon only shows 578 boys.

Heard there is a college QB hanging around the school who will throw to any receiver or any person who will run a pattern. You guys should get in on this.:rolleyes:

Grandpa1
05-16-07, 06:41 PM
The fifth game of the season at Hudson has been changed from a Friday to Thursday, 9/20.

The last game has been changed to a Thursday too. The game at home against Strongsville is changed to Thursday, 10/25 so it can be shown on FSN Ohio.

What an exciting schedule for the Comets! :crush:

Metacomet
06-04-07, 06:40 AM
The numbers of teams in each division is never fixed; they always range from 112-120 schools per division. The cutoff line changes every two years, seemingly at the OHSAA's whim.

Solon is really moving into the big time by joining the NEOC. The Comets will be the smallest member of their football division, though Solon's enrollment will probably pass Lakewood's within a few years. Of course, it isn't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Solon was playing and beating many of these schools at a time when it was barely bigger than a D2 school.

The NEOC will be one of the most decidedly big-school conferences in the state. Strongsville, Brunswick, Medina, and Elyria are all among Ohio's 20 biggest schools. The only Ohio conference with bigger schools is Cincinnati's GMC, which features Colerain, Princeton, Fairfield, and the like.

Yappi
06-04-07, 01:08 PM
I thought OHSAA was going to create fewer Div.1 schools for football this year. If 715 schools were divided equally into 6 divisions, there would be 119.2 schools in each division. So we end up with 115 in Div.1 and 121 each in Divisions 5 & 6. Is that the BIG DEAL change? Out of 715 schools, 4 more appear at the bottom and 4 less at the top?

The OHSAA was going to use the top 10% for DI this upcoming season, which would have been 72 schools. They would have then taken the bottom 2% out and given them directly to DVI. The rest would have been evenly split between the bottom 5 divisions. These would have been the approximate numbers:

D1 - 72
D2 - 126
D3 - 126
D4 - 126
D5 - 126
D6 - 139

Although the difference in enrollment numbers was small for D6, they were upset because they would have a tougher time making the playoffs (and winning a championship) because of the larger pool of teams to compete against. So the OHSAA had to decide which way was fairer, splitting schools up into equal size divisions or splitting them up with enrollment numbers being reasonably close. They chose the equal size divisions after pressure from the smaller schools created some problems in the media.

oldline70
06-08-07, 05:35 AM
Same here, Grandpa, though I'll still surf this site every several days.

There's nothing going on here and I'm bored out of my mind on here. This used to be my #1 go-to site and lately it can't hold my attention more than 5 minutes. I guess it's a good thing. Bring on football season.

oldline70
06-08-07, 05:37 AM
Sorry GP, this was meant to be in response to your comment on the other thread about checking out for a while!

Metacomet
06-08-07, 02:41 PM
Patience, patience. There will be plenty to talk about soon enough. But yes, right now, things are slow and dull. Once people stop thinking about the Cavaliers and Spurs, they'll focus back on the Comets and the Explorers.

CoachStone
06-08-07, 02:52 PM
Hey Meta and Old, come on out and coach some baseball with me, the time will fly till the pads start cracking!! :banana:

Same here, Grandpa, though I'll still surf this site every several days.

There's nothing going on here and I'm bored out of my mind on here. This used to be my #1 go-to site and lately it can't hold my attention more than 5 minutes. I guess it's a good thing. Bring on football season.

oldline70
06-10-07, 01:05 PM
How does one obtain a job doing this? I'd be willing to run some 2-point wave drills...oh wait, that's football.

Oh well, I can toss some b.p., I guess!!

Any takers??

SolonAAA
06-10-07, 08:31 PM
How does one obtain a job doing this

Oldline - Procreation usually helps you get an inside track to one of these jobs in the summer. It also helps to go stone-deaf, so that you don't have to hear some blind parent ask why his/her kid isn't pitching, even though the kid can't throw the ball 20 feet (yes - this happened to me a week ago).

CoachStone
06-11-07, 05:24 AM
LOL it happened to me also Solon, just last week!!! It was a surreal scene, I thought this guy was kidding.........needless to say he was not!
Stone-deaf?? Nice play on words too!! =)

Oldline - Procreation usually helps you get an inside track to one of these jobs in the summer. It also helps to go stone-deaf, so that you don't have to hear some blind parent ask why his/her kid isn't pitching, even though the kid can't throw the ball 20 feet (yes - this happened to me a week ago).

SolonAAA
06-11-07, 10:15 PM
CoachStone - I actually sat at the PC trying to think of an adjective that went with "deaf" other than "stone", but I couldn't think of one. While I know that my jokes usually go thud, and my wife has told me more than once to shoot my writer, I knew that it was going to come out wrong.

That said - your story doesn't surprise me the least. I had a practice 10 or so years ago to start the season, and an uncle brings his nephew. This kid was dressed to the hilt - baseball pants, belt, batting gloves, cleats - mind you, this was for coach pitch, underhand softball. The uncle says to me in a stern voice - "Hey coach, make sure that he bats from both sides of the plate. He's a switch hitter."

Needless to say, this kid couldn't hit from wither side of the plate to save his life.

I've had multiple dads insist that their kid could pitch better than the kid I had on the mound. As you can expect, I put the kid in, and a short while later (short while = 3-5 straight walks) the dad would come up begging for me to take the kid out.

jimbo
06-15-07, 04:17 AM
With the summer upon us, what does Coach McQuaide need to look at first to improve this team? With the new conference and tough schedule, I think the Comets need to improve quickly. The offense has to be more dimensional. Our passing game needs to exist and be effective. Any thoughts?? Would we be happy with a 5-5 record??

Metacomet
06-15-07, 07:43 AM
With the summer upon us, what does Coach McQuaide need to look at first to improve this team? With the new conference and tough schedule, I think the Comets need to improve quickly. The offense has to be more dimensional. Our passing game needs to exist and be effective. Any thoughts?? Would we be happy with a 5-5 record??

Solon needs to do two things to get back on track. The first is simplifying the offense. Last year, Solon dabbled with so many looks that nothing wound up working. The team never developed a definitive offensive personality . I believe the Comets need to re-establish the run, and use the run to set up the pass. I recently read an article in a Massillon paper in which McQ said that Solon will strive to be more run-oriented this year. Good move.

The second thing that Solon must do to be successful is to restore the pride and intensity that were lost last year. There were way too many attitude/discipline problems, a glaring lack of effort at times, and not enough done to correct these flaws. Many players seemed to forget what it means to be a Solon Comet. The coaches must impart this message to the players: That being a Solon Comet means maximum effort, and it means being a little tougher, a little more spartan than the other teams. Solon became a soft team last year. We're never blessed with the sort of athletes that Ignatius or Glenville has, so the Comets can never, EVER afford to be soft.

I've heard only good things so far about this year's team. I've heard that this senior class is determined to eradicate last year's bad karma. The leadership is excellent, the effort in the weight room and in drills has been outstanding, and slackers are not being tolerated. No one associated with the program should be satisfied with a 5-5 record in 2007. I don't know what the Comets' record will be. But if the coaching staff gets everything out of the talent at hand, Solon should be a winning team and a playoff qualifier. Going 5-5 should raise plenty of red flags about the program's leadership. But if this team establishes a workable, effective offense and if it plays with Solon's typical pride and discipline, a winning season should follow naturally.

What I'd like to see is for Solon to approach each opponent as if it is beatable. The Comets can't afford to be awed by the competition, and they must remember that all of them have flaws and questions. There's no reason Solon can't pull off a win or two among the likes of Massillon, Mentor, Brunswick, and Strongsville.:cool:

Hurri-Comet
06-16-07, 11:08 AM
What Meta said!!!!! :D Go Comets!!!!!

cometdad
07-08-07, 10:29 PM
The comets need to work together on numerous parts of their game. Obviously their offense needs tons of work, but their are a couple question marks on defense as well.

1)O-line (need a gaurd)
2)QB controversy
3)Secondary needs MUCH improvement
4)Question marks on what defense the Comets will play next year and who will play it
5)Size at linebacker, d-backs, and o-line

oldline70
07-09-07, 05:39 AM
I'll come back & play guard; it's only been 28 years since I last played! Just give me #70 and I'll be happy.

They don't call me oldline for nothing.

Seriously, I look for Solon to have a serious upswing this year. Two down years in Solon don't make any sense.

cometdad
07-09-07, 05:58 PM
I would like to have your optimism oldline70, but if you look at the comets team you definatley cannot say that they are any better then they were this past year. Also they have a much harder schedule playing Massilon (not sure on spelling), a perrenial powerhouse and Mentor, who has broughten their program up to another level. As a Solon fan I would be happy with a 500 season. Whatever happens it looks like this upcoming season is going to be filled with drama.

Metacomet
07-09-07, 07:16 PM
I would like to have your optimism oldline70, but if you look at the comets team you definatley cannot say that they are any better then they were this past year. Also they have a much harder schedule playing Massilon (not sure on spelling), a perrenial powerhouse and Mentor, who has broughten their program up to another level. As a Solon fan I would be happy with a 500 season. Whatever happens it looks like this upcoming season is going to be filled with drama.

cometdad,

I don't know how long you've been a "cometdad," but you really need to start thinking like a Solon Comet. At Solon, we don't think in terms of being happy with a .500 season. We are a winning program, and have been so for years. Are you aware that Solon has not suffered a losing season in football since 1969? In all of Ohio, the only school that has a longer streak of success of which I'm aware is Cincinnati Moeller.

Why are you so worried about the opposition? Did it ever occur to you that they've got players to replace, just like us, and have questions heading into the season? Stop being so much in awe of our opponents. The Comets are capable of beating every team on their schedule. Yes, even Massillon. Mentor has plenty to replace. You are aware, I hope, that Solon has beaten Mentor in seven of 11 meetings since 1998? You should be aware. Learn your Solon history! We're a special program, and it's time we all remembered that and stopped wallowing in a state of self-pity for Solon football.

I don't know what's going to happen this year. I highly doubt the Comets will go undefeated. But Solon has a chance to be a good team. The senior class is a group of high-character kids, there's speed throughout the roster, there's great talent in the sophomore class, and there are a couple of transfers who should make a big difference. Remember, this group of seniors went undefeated as freshmen. The defensive front seven should be outstanding; three talented kids are vying for the quarterback spot; the running game should be very productive, and the offensive line should be improved. Are there question areas? Sure. But the Comets have enough quality athletes to fill out the lineup, if the coaches make the right personnel decisions.

A .500 season? Never!!! No one associated with Solon football should ever be satisfied with that. That kind of thinking only brings down the program. There was too much easy acceptance of mediocrity last year; that was one of the 2006 team's biggest problems, and I blame the coaching staff for letting it permeate. The coaches say they realize the mistakes made last year. I'll take them at their word. But I'll also expect them to keep their word. I expect to see this team play with the pride that reflects Solon Comet tradition.

If you are indeed a "cometdad," then stop whining. Remember that you're a Solon Comet and pay heed to what Solon football represents. In case you haven't learned, Solon football is all about excellence. Never, ever forget that.:soapbox:

jimbo
07-10-07, 05:45 AM
Well said Meta!!! GO COMETS!!!:clap: :clap:

cometdad
07-10-07, 08:42 AM
I would like to hear about what Solon's starting line-up is going to look like.

Grandpa1
07-10-07, 11:45 AM
Hi cometdad,

Perhaps you missed the post by Metacomet which addressed the issue of what the 2007 squad looks like now; a copy is below. I'm sure after the scrimmages there will be more specific details.

Thanks for your interest in this team on two forums. Anxious to hear from you "what the kids" are saying around the house about this team. Hope to see you at the games.

Gramps

I don't know what's going to happen this year. I highly doubt the Comets will go undefeated. But Solon has a chance to be a good team. The senior class is a group of high-character kids, there's speed throughout the roster, there's great talent in the sophomore class, and there are a couple of transfers who should make a big difference. Remember, this group of seniors went undefeated as freshmen. The defensive front seven should be outstanding; three talented kids are vying for the quarterback spot; the running game should be very productive, and the offensive line should be improved. Are there question areas? Sure. But the Comets have enough quality athletes to fill out the lineup, if the coaches make the right personnel decisions.

cometdad
07-10-07, 12:08 PM
I have recently been told that the Comets have recieved a transfer from Louisiana. I have heard that he is HUGE, and will be a key contributor to the team this year. If all this is true I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on how he will do this year, and what position(s) he will play.

Grandpa1
07-10-07, 01:51 PM
Yes cometdad, it is hard to keep a secret...a big secret.

The Bayou Boy is not only HUGE, but FAST and STRONG according to reports from all the Big Man's camps he is at this summer.

You asked where he would play and word is that he is soooo good, he'll play wherever he wants...maybe three positions ...all at once.

Is already on the Saints 2012 draft chart.

But it's the smaller transfer kid that the opponents should worry about. Can't tell anything about him in public. No baby! Top secret! Late arrival! :D

cometdad
07-10-07, 04:04 PM
I've also heard that the Comets might move their defense to a 3-4, but am not sure on if they're doing this or not. Maybe you could send me a private message on this topic and also the other transfer.

Grandpa1
07-10-07, 07:30 PM
Actually with all those huge guys transfering in, Solon will be gearing up to play some 6-2-2-1.

We played it all the time, I think, didn't we Hurri?

cometdad
07-10-07, 08:06 PM
Thanks a lot Grandpa1 for the info. Any idea on who the other interior lineman maybe?

cometdad
07-11-07, 11:28 AM
Since everything is slowing down a little bit, does anyone know anything about who's going to coach the Comets basketball team next year?

BUCKS45
07-11-07, 03:22 PM
I believe the job was given to Fisher (the JV coach from last year). He has a good relationship with the group coming up.

BUCKS45
07-11-07, 03:37 PM
Thanks a lot Grandpa1 for the info. Any idea on who the other interior lineman maybe?

Just some names who will be fighting for the starting positions would be Zack Stearns (started as guard last year) Jonathan Kent possible tackle (he has gotten very large / increased strength) Justin Woo possible tackle/center Junior lettered as a Soph. Andy MaGill junior (possible guard/very tough) Reid Meyers senior (possible tackle). There are a bunch of kids that have been working hard and should make an impression this fall. Interesting who will win the starting jobs at the interior line positions.

Our line will have some size but again we will need them to be tough minded and work together. If this kid (his name is Paul) from Louisiana comes and plays for Solon, we could be in excellent shape on the front five with Bryce Coleman penciled in as the tight end which he played alot last year.

cometdad
07-11-07, 03:38 PM
I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on the quarterback contreversy going on at Solon. Who do you guys think will start and why?

BUCKS45
07-11-07, 03:47 PM
I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on the quarterback contreversy going on at Solon. Who do you guys think will start and why?

Zach Brillhart (started last year) senior
Johnny Mosh (played JV) junior
Tim Janasek (played JV) junior
Jake Voigt (played freshman) Sophmore

Let the battle for the starting position start next week. It is not a controversy. It is a position on the team and there are four qualilty kids trying to win the position. Each kid has his strengths and some have weeknesses. I am sure one of these kids will come out of the scrimmages clearly ahead and lead the Comets well.

I am putting my money on Jake Voigt to win the starting position. He has the total package. Throwing, running, leadership and he is tough enough to make things happpen.

Good Luck Comets

Metacomet
07-11-07, 06:02 PM
Jake's got tremendous upside. He's got mobility, instincts and leadership skills. Oh yeah, he can pass a little, too.:eek:

cardzfan1234
07-13-07, 11:25 AM
While I understand the headaches that the QB's caused last year, I think that going with the sophomore Voight will probably make 2007 a difficult year. I have talked with Meta about this before and compared it with the Tanski situation. Similar to Voight, Tanski had a great year as a freshmen. He tore up the competition. But jumping from dominating 14 year olds to playing against 16,17,18 year old studs was too much of a jump for Tanski. As you saw in the 2005 game at Solon, he struggled. Now, playing Tanski that season payed off in regards to the 2006 season, but 2005 was a 5-5 wash. A lot of that had to do with the inexperience of the young QB. Expect similar things if Voight is starting. With a schedule of teams like Massillon, Mentor, Strongsville, and Brunswick - it wouldn't surprise me to see Solon struggle to another 7-3 season or possibly even worse if the sophomore doesn't grow up in a hurry.

Is a varsity-experienced Voight in 2008 worth a gamble for the season in 2007?

Metacomet
07-13-07, 01:09 PM
cardz,

We have talked about this before and I understand your point. There are simiilariities between Mentor's QB situation with Tanski two years ago and Solon's this year, with soph Jake Voigt as a possible starter. But the situations aren't identical. Some key differences exist.

Some of Mentor's struggles two years ago had to do with its schedule, moreso than Tanski's inexperience. Sure, he's better now than in 2005 but I think some of his problems as a soph involved playing Solon, Massillon, Ignatius, et al. While this year's Solon team faces a tough schedule, it's not as daunting as the murderous slate Mentor faced that year. Also, Solon isn't as young as Mentor was in 2005. Tanski was a sophomore leading a bunch of juniors. Voigt would be in charge of a largely senior offense.

Another difference is that Solon is not as dependent upon its QB to win games as Mentor is. For the Cards, it's all about QB play. In their offense, if the QB isn't outstanding, the offense doesn't function. Solon has always been more of a running team. The pressure on the QB to spearhead the offense isn't as great in Solon's scheme. Last year, Solon got away from its traditional sets and lost its offensive identity. This year, word is that Solon will try to use the run to set up the pass. Solon's QB won't have to make nearly as many big plays.

I just want to make it clear that the QB competion is still wide open. Brillhart or Moeschberger could win the job; maybe even Tim Janasek. I believe that QB will be a position of strength for Solon this year. I like Voigt because of his outstanding mobility and his big-play instincts. But Brillhart is an outstanding passer, who was hurt last year by weak line play and poor gameplans. Those flaws should be corrected this year, and I believe Brillhart's play in 2007 would reflect those improvements. Moeschberger had a great 2006 season as the JV QB. He may have the strongest, most accurate arm of all Solon's QBs.

I believe that Voigt will be QB because his athleticism gives him such an upside. But the Comets won't go wrong with any of the three, IMO. And there's precedent for Solon's winning behind a sophomore QB. In 1997, soph Josh Manis got within 20 seconds of leading the Comets to a 10-0 season and a playoff berth. Unfortunately, Kenston pulled off a miracle win in the last seconds in Week 10 to ruin Solon's perfect season.

Grandpa1
07-13-07, 04:12 PM
Nice stuff!

Thanks cardz & Meta.

cardzfan1234
07-16-07, 12:29 PM
Good points Meta. One major difference is that Mentor is traditionally more relient on the QB play, so that should make a difference. I will also give you the schedule difference. Playing Mentor, Massillon, Strongsville, and Brunswick will be tough on a sophomore - but at least a couple of those games aren't until later in the year. Mentor and their QB's had to face Glenville, Ursuline, Solon, St. Ignatius, and Massillon all in a row.

One area I will disagree, but I don't expect you to memorize Mentor's life story. Tanski did have an exerpienced offense around him in 2005. The offensive line had at least four seniors if I remember right. Two of them (John Jewell and Nick Spring) were pretty big and very good. All of the wide receivers on that 2005 offense had tons of experience as Mentor had three starting junior WR's on the 04 team. The only receiver in 2005 that didn't start before was Brandon James. He obviously turned out to be the best in the bunch. Bill Deitmen was a junior in 2005, but he did start as a sophomore. So one could argue that Mentor's offense was very experienced in 2005, with the exception of the QB. Despite the experience around him, Tanski and Oleksak struggled mightily. The defense that season, along with only a couple key positions on offense, was junior-oriented.

The two QB system didn't work out. I hope Solon won't try it for their sake. While the upside of Voight is there, he would benefit from dominating on the JV level before becoming a great contributor in his junior and senior seasons. IMO, start the senior QB unless Voight is really that much better. All things equal - I say stick with experience, not potential.

jimbo
07-17-07, 05:44 AM
I agree with card. The schedule does not allow for alot of changes like last year. We need to hit the blocks running. We have a HUGE target on our back with the new league and we need to get back to the real SOLON style of play. When is the 7 on 7?? Let's get this party started!!:Party:

Hurri-Comet
07-17-07, 01:06 PM
I hope these transfers from Orlando and Miami Northwestern and Belle Glade, all Florida studs, is not just another rumor.

cometdad
07-17-07, 09:30 PM
Hurri-Comet what are you talking about? Is Solon close to landing more transfers?

SolonAAA
07-17-07, 10:25 PM
Hey Hurricane - did you hear about the Manhattan Transfer?

Metacomet
07-17-07, 11:00 PM
I hope these transfers from Orlando and Miami Northwestern and Belle Glade, all Florida studs, is not just another rumor.

As long as I've known Hurri, this had been his fantasy. Every year, he counts on all sorts of transfers from Florida to save Solon's season. Every year, those Floridians somehow fail to show up for summer camp.:dang:

I guess we'll have to count on transfers from somewhere else to help us through the season.;) Or maybe we should hope our homegrown kids are good enough.

Grandpa1
07-18-07, 07:21 AM
I hope that tarheel recruit makes it up to Solon. The kid would be the tallest receiver and safety in the schools history not to mention his basketball prowess. He was last seen headed north on I-77.

Hurri-Comet
07-18-07, 10:30 AM
Our homegrown kids HAVE been good enough! For 35 years plus for me. But, non-believers, someday these transfers will show; uhh, Manhattan Transfer, wow, excellent, absolutely. :thumb:

cometdad
07-18-07, 11:25 PM
I heard that there have been some unexpected moves up front for the Comets on offense. I was talking with a friend of my mine that has a son on the team, and he told me that there have been some new movements on offense that nobody expected. Any Comet fans know anything about this? Is it for the better?

Metacomet
07-18-07, 11:31 PM
Are you referring to some moves up the depth chart, cometdad? Anything's possible at this time, but I don't know any specifics.

BUCKS45
07-19-07, 08:01 AM
I heard that there have been some unexpected moves up front for the Comets on offense. I was talking with a friend of my mine that has a son on the team, and he told me that there have been some new movements on offense that nobody expected. Any Comet fans know anything about this? Is it for the better?

What could be unexpected at this time of the year. They are all fighting for a position on the team ? Unexpected would be Tonelli was moved to CENTER.

cometdad
07-20-07, 05:12 PM
What is all this talk about more transfers? What positions do they play, and how good are they?

SolonAAA
07-20-07, 07:40 PM
What is all this talk about more transfers? What positions do they play, and how good are they?

Here's the Manhattan Transfer. They play "The Boy from New York City". They are very good, especially the high-pitched girl on the right.

http://www.singers.com/groupimages2/manhattantransfer.jpg

Hurri-Comet
07-21-07, 08:00 AM
I know MT very well; how about some Hi-Lo's, or better yet Four Freshmen?

Or better yet, the Mills Brothers! (Or even the Ames Brothers)

wearesc10
07-23-07, 09:34 PM
has anyone that post in this forum been to any of the camp or instruction sessions? if so how have these sessions looked and who are the stand out players..i would just like to know because i wanna know how good this team will be this year..thanks

Metacomet
07-23-07, 09:39 PM
BUCKS45 might be your best bet. Perhaps you should send him a PM. From what I've heard, all positions are open, and those who play best will be the starters.

Solon has a 7-on-7 scheduled for Wednesday between 5-8 p.m. at Stewart Field. That should give fans some idea of possible starters at WR, DB, LB, and QB.

wearesc10
07-23-07, 09:52 PM
okay thanks meta :thumb:

SolonAAA
07-23-07, 10:20 PM
I was at the practice tonight for about an hour, but I'm probably going to get fired as a roving reporter as I really wasn't paying a lot of attention (I was talking the whole time with a friend). I will say this, though. It was clearly a very spirited practice. The kids were very vocal, lots of clapping - there was clearly energy in the air. Numbers wise, I would say there were about 70-80 players there.

Hurri-Comet
07-24-07, 11:51 AM
That's close to as good and precise as Tony Grossi expounds on Plain Dealer Brown's Beat. Keep up the reports. Loyal reader, Hurri :blush:

cometdad
07-24-07, 10:49 PM
I was also at the practice today and liked what I saw. The team did sound very high spirited as SolonAAA said. The one question I have is where is this "Bayou Boy?" I think if the Comets can nab him they are looking incredibly strong (they still looked very good without him).

Grandpa1
07-26-07, 07:59 PM
Just a chance here to encourage Solon Yappi's to support the Booster Club project and purchase your brick. Personalized bricks will be used in stanchions at the north end of the field. Imagine going there years from now and seeing your name in a brick. I still check mine at the Bobby Feller monument since 1993. Go for it guys!

Hurri-Comet
07-27-07, 08:28 AM
I truly enjoy seeing my brick at the Chicken Ranch when I'm in Nevada. Ahh memories. :cool:

eddiebrown
08-01-07, 05:51 PM
I truly enjoy seeing my brick at the Chicken Ranch when I'm in Nevada. Ahh memories. :cool:

I figured you enjoy seeing other things at the Chicken Ranch..:wallbang: :wallbang:

Hurri-Comet
08-01-07, 06:56 PM
Aww, I was just kidding and joshing a bit Eddie. I'm goin' for a brick for sure, "Hurricane Bob" Solon Football 1971-

Grandpa1
08-01-07, 07:38 PM
Hello eddiebrown, welcome to the Solon Yappi site. Good to see your login-name again! Thought you were just a roundball guy.

Go Browns- Beat Ravens

Metacomet
08-02-07, 10:45 AM
Just a chance here to encourage Solon Yappi's to support the Booster Club project and purchase your brick. Personalized bricks will be used in stanchions at the north end of the field. Imagine going there years from now and seeing your name in a brick. I still check mine at the Bobby Feller monument since 1993. Go for it guys!

The Booster Club had a booth at Solon Home Days and displayed an artist's rendition of what the proposed brick-and-iron work will look like. It's going to be beautiful, ensuring that Stewart Field will remain one of the more attractive high school facilities in the area.

The $60 donation is money well spent, IMO. :clap:

cometdad
08-05-07, 08:31 PM
Has anybody stopped by the Comet's two-a-day practices at all? If so what have you seen? Who was getting reps at each position?

SolonAAA
08-05-07, 09:43 PM
Well.....Hurricane has suggested that I improve my reporting of the goings-on in Solon. So here goes......

If you are feeling bored on Sunday night, tune in to "The Kill Point" on SpikeTV (Channel 69 in Solon) at 9:00 PM. That is Solon's very own Ethan Rosenfeld (the kid hostage, who is the computer wiz) that you are watching.

How did I do Hurricane?

Hurri-Comet
08-06-07, 06:36 AM
I think you were w-a-y too sensitive on my comment AAA. :confused:
It was simply jocularity, or , if you will, jesting. As you do very well at yourself. Your writing has always dazzled me my friend.

Grandpa1
08-06-07, 10:18 AM
joc' u.lar'i.ty, n- a joke or jest; waggish; facetious remark.
(has nothing to do with any horse betting, i.e. channel 602 on DirectTV)

All of the writing on this forum dazzles me. Spent way too much time in physics & math books. My education continues here.

Grandma wants the Sports Package added to my DirectTV invoice so all those Fox stations come in and she can watch Comet football without the long ride!

Is that Kill Point thing upstaging all the Without a Trace episodes on Spike?

Please, when are the Comet scrimmages?

SolonDad
08-06-07, 01:03 PM
Saturday Warren Harding @ Solon
Week from Friday @ Brush

Metacomet
08-07-07, 11:03 PM
Congratulations to Solon's newly-named 2007 captains: Zach Brillhart, Jimmy Geitz, Steve Greer, Jeff Skonezny, and Ricky Tonelli. Excellent choices! :thumb:

Hurri-Comet
08-08-07, 12:37 PM
Coach told me Monday, "we'll be fine", certainly hope so. He did tell me the exact same thing last summer. Anyway, GO COMETS!!!!!

SolonAAA
08-11-07, 01:11 PM
Great scrimmage Comets. It just looked like a return to Comet-football today - tough swarming defense, ground game straight ahead, controlled passing, lots of old guys in the crowd giving advice to the coach - yep, it was a very encouraging sight today.

Metacomet
08-11-07, 02:35 PM
We'll get to the in-depth reports of today's scrimmage a bit later. At this time, many of Solon's Yappsters are headed to Stark County to check out the Massillon-Perry scrimmage.

I will say that I'm very pleased with Solon's performance. Steve Greer and Ricky Tonelli were the two best players on the field, and the Comet defense was outstanding at all positions.

I was also pleased with Solon's sophomores; the Comet JV probably had the better of it in their scrimmage against Harding's highly-touted sophomores.

That's all for now. More later.

Hurri-Comet
08-11-07, 05:17 PM
What old guys? I was way over in the shade of the visitor side sitting with Warren Harding die-hards and ex-players and the Legend himself, "Worm", along with MetaComet, Ron and Mike. Comets did not in anyway show lack of spirit as has been on boards, instead they showed great speed and quickness on defense, and good blocking and hard running on offense. I was very impressed by tackling skills, and pass coverage was for the most part fine. Wish I could go to Massillon tonight but duty calls; to wife on trying again for 41st wedding anniversary dinner. Last night power outage was totally not welcome. And Illum. Co. at 11:00 P.M. told us yard and street will have to be torn up to get power back to next door neighbor and our house next week. Today's scrimmage certainly helped alleviate stress. :cool:

way to GO COMETS!!!!!

wearesc10
08-11-07, 09:30 PM
i wasnt able to attend the scrimmage can someone break it down for me?

Metacomet
08-11-07, 10:39 PM
i wasnt able to attend the scrimmage can someone break it down for me?

While we're all happy with the outcome, we must remember that Harding is a very young team, and is going through some growing pains at this time. If you want a "score," I believe Solon won the varsity contest, 4 TDs and 2 FGs to 1 TD. The Comets won the JV match, 1 TD to none.

What made me happy is that Solon played the sort of ball that I begged for last year. On defense, the CBs chucked Harding's wideouts at the line and the Comets blitzed often and hard. I even thought I saw a safety blitz. Solon got its pass rush back after a long absence and got consistent pressure on the QB. The Comets blew up most of Harding's wide plays and Warren got almost nothing in the passing game.

Lots of players shuffled in-and-out. But our 1st string LBs were outstanding; so were Tonelli, Stanback and D. Baldwin at end. Likewise Rodman, Ruby, Matt Pish and others in the secondary. Back 7 on defense gave great run support and played with discipline; I don't recall many blown assignments.

On offense, new simplified attack was effective. Passing game was essentially curls to the middle zones off rollouts and swing passes to the backs. All high-percentage stuff, and it worked all day. Tonelli, Wilkerson, and Geitz consistently broke 8-10 yard runs and a few longer. Line employed a lot of people but looked pretty good. These guys are mobile, whereas most of last year's linemen weren't.

Jake and Zach looked like clones at QB. Same types of passes thrown, both equally effective. I don't recall a Solon QB making a designed run. Rodman, Cuccia, Pish and, I believe, Meyerson, got most of the WR play. All made some nice catches, especially Pish who held on after a big hit over the middle. Coleman also had a couple of nice catches and lined up both tight and wide. He also got time as Solon's fourth DE.

Lots of good things to take from today's scrimmage, but there's still progress to be made. I believe a few positions are yet to be won. Things will probably be a lot more defined after next week's Brush scrimmage.

SolonAAA
08-12-07, 12:30 PM
What old guys?

Hurricane - it's real easy to discern the old guys from the young guys. If you were eating a hamburger or hot dog after the scrimmage (for those of you not there, the Solon Boosters served lunches to all of the players after the scrimmage - both Comets and Raiders alike), you are a young guy. If you weren't served, you're an old guy.

Hurri-Comet
08-12-07, 07:10 PM
Well I for one was eating tums; sicker than a dog from Friday night outage. And in 11 days, birthday baby, hitting the big 69. That's not old to my mother-in-law who hits 95, 20 days later. :cool:

jimbo
08-14-07, 03:50 PM
Congrats Hurri on # 69!!! Let's hope this is the season to redeem ourselves and start the new conference out right with a Comets championship!! :cool:

Hurri-Comet
08-14-07, 07:18 PM
Thanks Jimbo, here's to that "wish" a hundred-fold. All we need is leadership, discipline, and lots of better karma. :cool:

wearesc10
08-18-07, 09:15 PM
did anyone make it to Brush,i couldnt attend the scrimmage. how did it go?

Metacomet
08-18-07, 09:21 PM
It was so ugly, even ugly people would call it ugly.:wallbang:

wearesc10
08-18-07, 09:39 PM
It was so ugly, even ugly people would call it ugly.:wallbang:

haha that bad huh?

Metacomet
08-18-07, 10:31 PM
It was as bad as last year's game at Brush. Maybe worse. The way the team played was shocking and scary, considering who is on the Comets' schedule.

jimbo
08-19-07, 09:49 AM
did we just go back to last year or what? that scrimmage was terrible in so many ways its scary. what is going on? guess what guys, we start this Friday. :confused:

Tdaman
08-20-07, 11:09 AM
ok here is wat i saw

mental mistakes
a few good plays from brush but still a strong solon team

Solon played well but they did remind me of last year's blunder
While u cant forget its not a real game and that the special teams might have made more of a difference the comets look like a different team from saturday against warren harrding

I think that the boys might not have had their mind on the playing so much and might have underestimated brush or they didnt care which they should have.

On the good side they had some almost broke plays in long drives that brush didnt have long drives they were hit or miss long play or nothing

And the JV part of the scrimmage was promising as the Comets pretty much dominiated both sets of offense and defense

Hurri-Comet
08-20-07, 12:00 PM
The morning of the scrimmage my friend Dan whom is an ex-coach of Mentor and the father of the starting linebacker- running back for the Cardinals, "warned'" me about Brush being a real sleeper team this year, with kids coming back to the program, even two from Glenville. The new coach at Brush is a personal buddy of his. I warned some parents before the start of the scrimmage Friday night, but I don't think they took me seriously. Right at the start you could tell Brush has a tough, hard hitting bunch of kids. That being said, the Comets didn't look like they did vs. Warren Harding. But, Brush looked better to me than Warren anyway.

I was very impressed again with tailback Jimmy Geitz who is showing great explosion into the hole and super leg drive and vision. Johnny Moeschberger again showed passing skills and arm strength, and John Hirsch is coming on strong. Defense is fine, they MUST keep that spirit and senior leadership.

It does look to me there may be a controversy at Q.B. if Zach Brillhart doesn't take charge out there Friday night and hit these open receivers.

Yeah, Twinsburg feels they owe us; BIG TIME! Solon had better be ready.:cool:

SolonAAA
08-20-07, 12:18 PM
Hurricane: I had the same sort of Friday night - went to see the Lion King. No one took Scar seriously. Mufasa had a rough first half and was knocked out by halftime. Simba got called up from the JV squad in the 4th quarter. He rallied the troops for a 4th quarter comeback, and won the day.

It sounds like we need someone with an angry growl right now.

Hurri-Comet
08-20-07, 12:37 PM
GRRRRR!!!!! Ken Dorsey needs a chance playing with the first team offense.

OOOPS! :cool:

brian1227
04-23-09, 06:06 PM
How does people think solon will do in 2009? I think brunswick will be the favorite and solon will beat strongville.SOlon 2 toughest game will be with nordonia i cant wait.