Xavier Univ Football Returns?

tom 48

I heard a report that Xavier was bringing back football on a D 1-A level, and that a stadium would be built next to the Cintas Center. Anyone know if there is truth to this?

There is no truth or toyou don't know?

If X is gonna' start a football program it's the best kept secret in town. There were rumors of them doing a club sport thing with football a couple years ago, but I don't believe that ever got off the ground. If they ever do anything with football again, it certainly would not be at the FBS level.....

I heard a report that Xavier was bringing back football on a D 1-A level, and that a stadium would be built next to the Cintas Center. Anyone know if there is truth to this?
This was recently brought up and discussed in the Moeller section, 2023 Football thread. Check posts #158-163 there for more information.

I'm surprised they don't have a non-athletic scholarship FCS program like Dayton does. If Xavier actually added a football program, I imagine they'd be on some type of timeline to join the football only Pioneer Football League, which conveniently has a weird number of 11 institutions and a bunch of peer-esque institutions like UD and Butler. None of the schools in that football only FCS conference give athletic scholarships for football. Seems like a perfect long-term fit IMO.

This was recently brought up and discussed in the Moeller section, 2023 Football thread. Check posts #158-163 there for more information.
XU AD did an interview the other day with Cincy Business Courier. In the interview/article Mr. Christopher(AD) said that X having Football would all depend on being able to build an on Campus Field/Stadium. I believe it said about 20 million would be needed but Xavier already has the property necessary on Campus. Also said there have been some talks with Private Donors who have expressed interest in donating for a Football Stadium. The article also talks about X adding Sports helps boost enrollment. Think they just recently added Women’s Lacrosse. Xavier obviously a small university but they also have a number of big money backers!!

As a UC fan, nothing made me laugh more this week than reading this quote by Xavier’s AD:

The challenge we have is we don’t have a facility. We’re trying to balance the football idea with building a College of Medicine facility.

Hm, small private university that has no true football history and is severely landlocked can’t decide between bringing an incredibly expensive, resource heavy football program or building a college of medicine. Tough decision!

As a UC fan, nothing made me laugh more this week than reading this quote by Xavier’s AD:

Hm, small private university that has no true football history and is severely landlocked can’t decide between bringing an incredibly expensive, resource heavy football program or building a college of medicine. Tough decision!
No true Football history is a matter of opinion. The AD previously said Xavier Football would be a Club Sport if brought back? How many resources and how much money really needed for a Club Team?

If it's a club sport, you could probably charge some type of participation fee for students that play to cut into the cost some.

Biggest things would be carving out a field on a landlocked campus, putting up some bleacher seating for maybe a few hundred people, and the initial cost of equipment. Probably budget for 3-4 supplemental type contracts for guys to coach it (head coach + 2-3 assistants).

No true Football history is a matter of opinion. The AD previously said Xavier Football would be a Club Sport if brought back? How many resources and how much money really needed for a Club Team?
No it isn’t.

Building a facility, which the AD mentioned, isn’t cheap.

Was told by the Xavier folks (on their payroll) football startup has now taken a ‘pause’ while the University moves forward with its plan for a College of Osteopathic Medicine.